PDA

View Full Version : I've caught sock fever!

giedre11
09-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Went to a lys yesterday and fell in love with the sock yarn. Never, ever intending to make socks, I found myself walking out of the shop with everything I needed to make a pair. The ladies there were incredibly helpful and showed me how to do the socks on two circular needles {my request}. So I've gone from one extreme to the other now! I also found this site http://az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html helpful, as it reinforced what the kind ladies showed me. I can't believe I'm actually doing it...it's really working! So for all of you who may have been hesitant to try, just do it. Heck if I can anybody can! I'll have some of the best {and wildest} dressed feet in town! Plus, it's an extremely portable project. So doing the happy sock dance! :woohoo:

aprildavis99
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
:yay: I just recently decided to start my first pair of socks also. :cheering: I am using DPNs though. I bought them years ago to make baby hats. I actually only made 2 hats. Socks were the furtherest thing from my mind. I have been looking at tons of books at the local library and differents sites on line for Tabi socks to wear with flip flops. I haven't found a pattern I truly like, but I have started a pair of socks from this site: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock/html

The toe is different than what I have seen anywhere. It's kind of making me :wall:, but I am going to stick with it. I can't wait to wear my very own first pair of hand made socks...cloud9.

jdee
09-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Your gonna love making socks, but be warned. sock fever has no cure. :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Welcome to your new addiction :mrgreen:

rebecca
09-24-2007, 12:55 AM
We are a large group! We Socknitting Addicts. We are not annonymous, we know that we are addicts and are quite proud of it! There are no "steps" unless you refer to the steps it takes to get to the car then those you use when you walk into the yarn shop to purchase sock yarn! One can NEVER, I repeat NEVER have enough sock yarn!
Currently I would LOVE to knit a pair of socks for me, but alas, they go to my hubby, he is a hand knit sock onlye wearing man (I'm so proud, brings a tear to my eye!). And I will knit socks for him until they are overflowing out of his sock drawer...then I may just have to reorganzie and knit some more, who knows?!
All that to say, Welcom, my friend, Welcome to Socknitting Addicts of the World, we are a proud group!

Mariblue
09-24-2007, 01:26 AM
I currently only have enough sock yarn to make 5 or 6 pairs of socks. It's not enough, I tell you. It's never enough. :shifty::woohoo:

gargoylelib
09-24-2007, 01:53 AM
:yay: I just recently decided to start my first pair of socks also. :cheering: I am using DPNs though. I bought them years ago to make baby hats. I actually only made 2 hats. Socks were the furtherest thing from my mind. I have been looking at tons of books at the local library and differents sites on line for Tabi socks to wear with flip flops. I haven't found a pattern I truly like, but I have started a pair of socks from this site: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock/html

The toe is different than what I have seen anywhere. It's kind of making me :wall:, but I am going to stick with it. I can't wait to wear my very own first pair of hand made socks...cloud9.

Have you seen this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTlicketysplit.html) pattern on Knitty for Tabi socks? I just
recently found it and am planning to try it out, doesn't
look too difficult :)

Giedre11, congrats on the new skill! :)

Bug
09-24-2007, 06:16 AM
I've still not braved the use of circs or dpns, i'm such a coward...still a scarf maker :-(

aprildavis99
09-24-2007, 06:31 AM
I have Lickety Split tabi's as my 2nd sock adventure. They're not exactly what I was looking for, but they are cute.:thumbsup:

dustinac
09-24-2007, 08:53 AM
:woot:Welcome to the sock club :teehee:...they are very addictive...and so is buying the sock yarn... I have a top shelf in my closet full of nothing but sock yarn... but I still keep buying it :oo:....

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Yep, its terminal. :pout: No cure. :woot: