PDA

View Full Version : hot pepper help please

vaknitter
09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Short of the long story is that I just cut some peppers to put in dinner that the hubby said were sweet .... just licked my finger and their HOT !!! I've washed my hands like 3 times - how do I get the oil off my hands before I rub an eye or the puppy ?

Knitting_Guy
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Milk or vinegar should remove it. I personally think that vinegar works a little better, but either one should do the trick.

vaknitter
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
thank you - I did both just to be thorough !! I don't do spicey food so I was not pleased when my lips and tongue started burning.

Knitting_Guy
09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I love spicy foods and cook with peppers quite often and have used vinegar a number of times.

I would suggest in the future that you wear latex gloves any time you handle peppers or onions while cooking. Much easier than accidentally getting either in your eyes with a careless wipe.

austingirl
09-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree with Mason - you can even use the plastic bags that produce comes in if you're in a pinch. Anything is better than nothing. Once I chopped up a serrano pepper bare-handed and promptly scratched my eye. Oh, the pain! It hurt for hours.

vaknitter
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
my hubby and I have an understanding - when he is in the mood for spicey food he cooks !! I have never cut a hot pepper before - if I am going to divide a meal I am making and heat it up for him I used bottle chili paster or red pepper flakes.

Should I also scrub the cutting board with vinegar ? It's too big for the dishwasher.

thanks for the help. My hands are great now !!

Jan in CA
09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Umm... my daughter's ex told me once that he had the oil on his hands and went to the restroom without realizing it..and it burned a very sensitive area. :shock::passedout:

Sunny_Singer
09-24-2007, 01:46 AM
The problem is the name. They do say sweet, which confuses a lot of people.

Often they are listed as just "sweet peppers" in restaurants, condiment aisles and similar.

They aren't "sweet" unless you like spicy hot foods.

AnnaT
09-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't know the answer but I have a hot pepper story. :teehee:

Once I was trying to make "spice soup" from books by Terry Goodkind (yes, I'm a nerd that way). I found a recipe on the internet that called for lightly cooking a hot pepper in oil before adding the other ingredients. It said to throw the hot pepper away after seasoning the oil, which should have been a hint. I went out and bought one habanero pepper for the soup. I cooked it for a long time in the oil, until it was limp.....

No one got to eat the soup because I threw it away after I tasted it and almost passed out.