PDA

View Full Version : Option owners-can you stand 1 more question?

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 11:44 AM
:think:Thinking about purchasing Options for myself for my birthday. I was wondering how heavy the metal needle tip is. I have chronic tendonitis in my wrists (type all day so I'm on the way to carpal tunnel syndrome I'm sure:pout:) and have found that bamboo needles are the only needles comfortable enough for me to knit with.

Whatcha think? :?? Would the Harmony set be better?

robynbird
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
The Harmony are lighter than the nickel plated. So, if you already use bamboo, you will find the Harmony nice and much smoother!

suzeeq
09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
An aside - you may want to check out stretches you can do while typing and knitting to prevent CTS. It's not inevitable, you can prevent it.

Jan in CA
09-24-2007, 12:41 PM
They are hollow so they are really light IMO, but I haven't tried the Harmony needles so I can't compare. You could do what many of us have done and order one set of cords and a couple needle tips to test them out. ;)

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Suzeeq--I do all kinds of stretches--first time I did them at work, my boss thought I was making rude gestures at him! :teehee:

Good idea Jan :thumbsup:

msmelody
09-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I know nothing about the needles you are asking about, but with the CTS. Have you tried B-6? I write on a court reporting machine for hours at a time and wrist and fingers started to kill me, then the doctor recommended B-6 and no more pain. I also wear a magnetic bracelet for extra help with the pain. I hope that you do not develop CTS.

suzeeq
09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes, vitamin B6 can help with cts, and so can magnesium which is a muscle relaxer. Most CTS symptoms are due to overly tight muscles in the arms, neck and shoulders. Massage helps too.

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
A massage therapist showed me some accrupressure exercises to do that really help (although we sure got some strange looks 'cause she was our client--law office--and when she showed me we were standing in the middle of the reception area of our office building. :shock:)

:teehee:

knitncook
09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh yes; the needles bigger than a 5 feel quite heavy. I would go with the Harmony rather than the nickel plated if that is a problem for you!

Lady Violet
09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
i have one set of regular options tips and i can't imagine anything being lighter. if the harmonies really are lighter, i don't know if i'd like them. well, the options set, anyway. i still would like to try the DPNs for socks. if you have any problems at all with weighty needles, give the options a shot. i have size 7 tips and they are so lightweight that i keep looking down to make sure the cable is still attached. they are forever feeling like there's nothing down there! :)

dakatzmeow
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
i have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. i think my options are the ONLY reason i can knit.

robynbird
09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
The Options Nickel plated are light, but the Harmony are a tad lighter.