PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities Who Knit?

Arielluria
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not into Hollyweird at all! But I saw on a lead-in to Knitty Gritty that Justine Bateman is addicted to knitting........like most of us here! :woot: I always liked her, wish she would do more stuff. I still enjoy her on reruns of Family Ties.

I could tell that Goldie Hawn was a knitter when I saw her doing it on Foul Play (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showpost.php?p=771587&postcount=3). I love to scrutinize knitters on TV or movies and see whether they really ARE knitters.

Anyone else know of any celebrity knitters????????

bailsmom
09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Tyne Daly used to knit on Judging Amy episodes.

misha rf
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I just purchased a special LIFE magazine--"Remembering Grace: 25 Years Later." There's a picture in there of Grace Kelly knitting while someone worked on styling her hair (on the set of The Swan).

Debkcs
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I Googled 'Celebrities that knit' and got this list: List of celebrity knitters (this list is by no means all inclusive): Julia Roberts, Madonna, Iman, Hilary Swank, Cameron Diaz, Daryl Hannah, Goldie Hawn, Eartha Kitt, Winona Ryder, Julianne Moore, Rose McGowan, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kate Moss, Madeline Albright, Vanna White, Megan Mullaly, Sarah Jessica Parker, Joanne Woodward, Bob Mackie, Stu Bloomberg, Rosie Grier.

I'm sure that there are more, knitting is very much in style right now.

PaperGirl
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm a celebrity! And I knit!

OK, maybe only to my kids.... :roflhard:

Sharly
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey! Aren't all those people lucky to be in the company of us!! :)

scorpiowoman
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I saw Lisa Loeb on Knitty Gritty once

knitncook
09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I"m betting that Joan Cusak knit? She was knitting in the movie Raising Helen and she looked like she knew what she was doing.

Arielluria
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I read some funny stuff from Tracey Ulmann in the book Knit 2 Together. Gotta get that book.

dustinac
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I think Katie ummm the gal who married Tom knits...

Ok so these are not current movie stars but...

Bette Davis used to knit a lot

ohh and then on the Joan Crawford bio they said that she would drive Norma Shearer crazy with the clicking of her knitting needles on the set of The Women

Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageknittingnet/sets/1666742/)is a flickr account with a lot of the older stars knitting...

Arielluria
09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks! I'm TOTALLY an old movie buff!

Sharly
09-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Oooh! Wouldn't want to cross Joan Crawford while she was weilding sharp, pointy sticks!!

I love old movies, too! Could never get enough of Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant! Bringing up Baby is one of my favorites! Of course it is, there's a cat in it!!

heykaren
09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I love old movies too - and used to be a total Hepburn freak!!!!! Bringing up Baby is a classic!!!!! :yay:

karen

dustinac
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Classic movies are my favorite...I've always got one playing...even my kids know them... My 3yr old loves Yankee Doodle Dandy :rofl:

jennylozano
09-24-2007, 07:17 PM
In one episode of "I dream of Jeannie" Jeannie (Barbara Eden) was "knitting" a blue (it looked like the very old acrylic of the 60's) for her master... but I don't know if she was really knitting because she blinked at it and got the unfinished sleeve completed. Then she blinked at it and her master was wearing it.
Also in the movie "Sweet November" Charlize.... don't remember her last name was knitting.

ChristinaKnits
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
one of the magazines had an article with Kate Hudson and Uma Thurman in yarn shops buying stuff.

judyb
09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
There's a bunch here:

http://www.amazon.com/Celebrity-Scarves-Abra-Edelman/dp/1931543275

and here

http://www.amazon.com/Celebrity-Scarves-Hollywood-Breast-Research/dp/1931543836

The first book got me hooked on knitting...The scarves looked great and were mostly all just garter stitch, which helped me understand I could create great looking stuff without knowing too much about knitting! :muah:

kraafe22
09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Audrey Hepburn was a knitter - of course in the scene from Breakfast at Tiffanys (my picture - because I loveee her!) - but she was also a knitter herself. She did it alot while on set waiting to shoot. I think I've read that Katherine Heigl knits too, and shes known to work on projects while on set as well.

feministmama
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I :heart: Breakfast at Tiffanys. I wish Audrey H was still alive and was my next door neighbor and she would come over for tea on Sunday afternoons and knit with me. *sigh*

feministmama
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I wonder if Jane Goodall knits?

G J
09-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't forget Marge Simpson!!!:roflhard: You see her knitting in many episodes.

Knitting_Guy
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I wonder if Jane Goodall knits?

Interesting question. I've never seen it mentioned in any of her bios, but who knows?

DianaM
09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I read somewhere that Lawrence Fishbourne knits.

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-25-2007, 04:52 AM
On the **** Van Dyke tv show.. SALLY the female writer that worked w/ ROB and BUDDY.. knitted often on that show while at work... (while playing the part of Sally the writer at work- that is)

I've been known to nudge my friend or boyfriend and whisper.. "Look, they are knitting." Somehow, they aren't as excited about it as I am. :chair:

Sharly
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Does anyone watch Corner Gas? It's a great Canadian show I have just discovered way down here in Alabama. It's hilarious. Emma on there knits. I think she knows what she's doing. Looks like she's knitting continental, which I don't know much about :)

Watch it if you haven't seen it. DH and I are crazy about it. :eyes:

letah75
09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Russell Crowe (http://www.yarnmarket.com/newsletter/yarnmarket_news_2004-03_March.html) knits

Kaydee
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I Googled 'Celebrities that knit' and got this list: List of celebrity knitters (this list is by no means all inclusive): Julia Roberts, Madonna, Iman, Hilary Swank, Cameron Diaz, Daryl Hannah, Goldie Hawn, Eartha Kitt, Winona Ryder, Julianne Moore, Rose McGowan, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kate Moss, Madeline Albright, Vanna White, Megan Mullaly, Sarah Jessica Parker, Joanne Woodward, Bob Mackie, Stu Bloomberg, Rosie Grier.

I'm sure that there are more, knitting is very much in style right now.

Vanna White has a line of Lion Brand yarn called Vanna's Choice (http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannasChoice.html). I wonder how it is?

gamerchik
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Oooh, on Grey's Anatomy, Katherine Heigl and Ellen Pompeo were both knitting! Heigl knew what she was doing and she was very fast, but Ellen Pompeo was doing some weird thing and it looked kind of strange to me, maybe like she was knitting backwards or something!

Sharly
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Maybe she was Tinking! That would go along with her character ;)

gamerchik
09-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe she was Tinking! That would go along with her character ;)

:roflhard:

Jacklad
09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
The late great Edith Piaf was a knitter, and Marion Cotillard who plays her in La Vie En Rose, knits in the film.

In the movie, when she meets Marcel Cerdan (a French boxer who later became her lover), he asks her "So what do you do when you're not singing?" - and she replies "I knit".

Unfortunately, she also became addicted to morphine when the pain of arthritis began to interfere with her knitting. :sad:

Jackie

knitncook
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Didn't Judi Dench knit in Chocolat? I seem to recall she did. I can see Judi being a knitter.

knitncook
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I found this cool link of people who either crocheted or knit in movies. I think I need to go back and watch a few more movies. Knitting in movies (http://www.angelhairyarn.com/movies.html)

knit_gumdrop
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I <3 Audrey Hepburn... we are forgetting one of the most memorable knitters... Alan Alda, Hawkeye from MASH. Theres several eps on him knitting and always with the same red yarn, but its visible that he knows how to knit.

i <3 Alan Alda

Julie
09-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I am dying to know whether Russell Crowe really knits -- I've seen that picture and many arguments over whether it's for show, or he's really a knitter. And Snopes has failed me :shrug:

Knitting_Guy
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I am dying to know whether Russell Crowe really knits -- I've seen that picture and many arguments over whether it's for show, or he's really a knitter. And Snopes has failed me :shrug:

The answer to your question is no. It was just a photo, he doesn't actually knit.

pandaca
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Yup, Katherine Heigle (from Gray's) really does knit. I've read several interviews where she talks about it!

Queen of Rust
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Does anyone watch Corner Gas? It's a great Canadian show I have just discovered way down here in Alabama. It's hilarious. Emma on there knits. I think she knows what she's doing. Looks like she's knitting continental, which I don't know much about :)

Watch it if you haven't seen it. DH and I are crazy about it. :eyes:

I <3 Corner Gas. I'm so glad that it's finding an audience in the US.
Whenever there's a scene with Emma knitting and bickering with Oscar, DH comments, 'See that's gonna be us in like 40 years.' LOL!

I'm a legend in my living room and I knit. Does that count as a celebrity who knits ?:roflhard:

Sharly
09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
That show is really awesome! I'm really enjoying it.

I love your comment about being a celebrity! :lol:

suziehomemaker
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I heard a great story once where Gweneth Paltrow went to a small LYS in NYC to buy yarn and ended up asking the owner some questions. I think she was very nice and appreciative of the help she got with her current project.

Where was that story . . .

(It might have been over at the Knitter's Review forums)

Arielluria
09-26-2007, 05:37 PM
On the **** Van Dyke tv show.. SALLY the female writer that worked w/ ROB and BUDDY.. knitted often on that show while at work... (while playing the part of Sally the writer at work- that is)

I've been known to nudge my friend or boyfriend and whisper.. "Look, they are knitting." Somehow, they aren't as excited about it as I am. :chair:That's one of my favorite shows. I haven't seen it in a while, but you're right!!!

Arielluria
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm a legend in my living room and I knit. Does that count as a celebrity who knits ?:roflhard::thumbsup: You betcha!!!!!!! Can I have your autograph?
:flirt:

cristina61
09-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Don't forget about Morticia Addams on 'The Addams Family'! I've always loved that show, silly as it was. Morticia was frequently knitting and making strange-shaped sweaters for various cousins.

I noticed today while watching today that the actress (ah, can't remember her name right now!) was really knitting. She was knitting English style.

Arielluria
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I like that too. Her name was Carolyn Jones I believe.

Knitting_Guy
09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/imar.jpg

pauly81
09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Estelle Getty knit on the Golden Girls, but I never saw her knit. I think she was just holding the project like she was knitting.

G J
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Mason, you crack me up! Great pic!:roflhard:

Jackie Lim
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Julianne Moore knits, read it in Hollywood knits.

abodenrader
09-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Definitely not a celebrity knitter, but DH was watching the game last night, and they showed a woman crocheting an afghan in the crowd, and I said "Oh! I want to see more of that!" which got a very weird look from DH, but I really wanted to see more of her pattern and technique....

KnitClickChick
09-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Vanna White has a line of Lion Brand yarn called Vanna's Choice (http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannasChoice.html). I wonder how it is?

I saw this in the store a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get any as I promised myself I was only going to buy what I needed that day.... it felt pretty nice though. It is on my shopping list for next time. ;)