PDA

View Full Version : Goonie comments from people

stitchwitch
09-24-2007, 03:23 PM
The other thread on insensitive comments regarding pregnancy got me thinking about some of the stuff I've heard over the years. I think we should all share a laugh at the expense of the rude, insensitive and overal moronic people who say just plain dumb stuff and share some of the comments we've heard over the years that are just so ridiculous they are funny (doesn't have to be preggo related, can be anything).

Here's mine...I had a friend in school that knew I rode a sport bike. Every chance she had she would tell me how I was going to die on the thing. :roflhard: Nothing like being a positive person.

MMario
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
A patron walks up to me at a Dickons festival - reaches out and grabs a handul of my hair
(what made her feel she had the liberty to do that I don't know)

- turns to her friend and says "You'd think they'd spend a bit more and get a good quality wig".

Then there are the people who gush about the family resemblece between me and my god-daughters; who are not related to me in any way!

iza
09-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Here's one someone told me once, we were discussing differences between men and women:

"You're a woman in engineering/physics, it's not the same, I'm talking about a normal woman". :shock: I have all the right parts at the right place to be a woman, what else do I need to be a "normal woman"??? :??

stitchwitch
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
My husband and I were shopping one time, he's 10 1/2 years older than me. We had the cart between us, he was at one end of it, I was at the other and we both were looking at stuff on the shelf. Some guy walks up to me and tells me "You need to take better precautions with your purse (it was in the cart) young lady, that guy is standing right by your cart." I told him it was my husband. :roflhard: He's like "oh, oh, oh, ok sorry." and hauled butt out of the there.

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Took my mom to the cardiologist for a follow up after triple by-pass surgery and a new nurse was running an EKG on her. To pass the time, the nurse turned to me and said "So are you two sisters? You sure look a lot alike." :shock:
:shock:
Mom's in her 70s-I'm in my 40s. Sisters???????:??
:shock:
I told the nurse that either I should be insulted or my Mom should be really happy cause either I'm looking old (and yes I have gray hair) or Mom's looking young (no she doesn't have gray hair-she colors hers!) :teehee:

Kaydee
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
A patron walks up to me at a Dickons festival - reaches out and grabs a handul of my hair
(what made her feel she had the liberty to do that I don't know)

- turns to her friend and says "You'd think they'd spend a bit more and get a good quality wig".

:noway: What normal person does something like that!?

MMario
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
There is something about the service industry (and live entertainment is when you get down to it a service industry) that makes *some* customers de-humanize the person giving the service. I don't know why - but it happens.

letah75
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
My personal favorite (which I get quite often living in a college town).

I'm walking down the street, drunk (or sometimes not) male walking towards me...."WOW, those boobs are huge!"

Uh? Really? I hadn't noticed! All that I hear in my head is "You're an ***." repeating over and over.

Or when people I DON'T KNOW, come up to me and feel the need to ask "Are those fake? Who did you go to?" Ok, their real, and it's really NOT your business!!!"

Why do people think that is their business?!? If I had my ears pinned NO ONE would think to say, "OH, I see you had your ears pinned. Who did you go to?" grrrrr.

I've had people ask if my hair was extensions as well, and come up and touch my hair. I HATE it when people I don't know touch me. I'm not a touchy feely person anyway.

KnittingNat
09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I hate it when grandmothers are making offensive remarks. My DH's grandmother never, I mean NEVER offered us a glass of water on a hot (or not so hot) day, she thinks if we'll want one, we'll ask. On her birthday we get a cheap cake and stories of her not cooking anymore. And every time we're coming to visit her (every month or so) i here the same "Oh, dear, Igor (DH) is getting so thin..*sighs*".What can I do that he's eating a lot and works hard, so he's not gaining weight? So last time I plainly answered her coolly:"Yeah, Igor got thinner, there's nothing to eat and i hear the wind howling in my fridge". My MIL almost fell from her chair trying to stop herself from laughing:roflhard:.

MellieThePooh
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Working as a cashier at Panera, I had an issue counting change one morning because I'd been awake since 4 am and it had been a busy morning. The customer said, 'I can see you went to public school'. I was so flabbergasted I couldn't think of a response, at least not one that wouldn't have gotten me fired. Awhile later, I thought of a response: I can see you learned your manners from a pack of wolves...

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 04:50 PM
:!!!:on them, MelliethePooh!

Sharly
09-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Hubby and I recently walked into a local sales office to purchase new cell phones. We happened to both be wearing collegiate football team shirts. One guy (who was with a customer) got up and said "you guys can't come in here - you have the wrong shirts" - that ticked me off so bad!! I immediately responed "well, we can LEAVE!" Hubby however is a better sport than I am and everything ended well when another sales associate helped us. Ugh! I mean, I know college football is a religion in Alabama, but please! This guy is in a sales position representing a company, and I was the customer!

Sharly
09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
This is a good topic! I don't mean to dominate, but I thought of another one!

I know many of you here can relate to this. A few years ago, I lost my precious kitty of 18 years (who was really more like a teenage son than a pet), but I dragged myself into work because I felt like I had to. I cried off and on all day and a girl in my office came up to me and said "It will be okay, you can get another cat"...:grrr:

PurlyGyrl
09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Sharly, I take it you WEREN'T wearing a Bama shirt!:teehee::hug:Just kidding.

I get the same reaction when I DON'T wear a UT Vols shirt on Fridays before the game (looks kinda stupid with a business suit so I don't)--rude comments from people in the Courthouse who are wearing UT shirts. Pooh on them!

And there is a special place in hel* for people who say "its only a cat" or "its only a dog", too--right next to the stupid people who make stupid comments like that!

MamaMer
09-24-2007, 05:15 PM
I am preggers with our 4th boy, and lemme tell you, not only did I dread telling people (especially family who sometimes can be the cruelest commentators on your life, as if being a blood relation gives them more of a right, but I digress...:wink:) that we were even having another child (yes-we planned it, yes we know what causes pregnancy and no we don't want to stop doing it, nope it was an accident or surprise, yes I know what birth control is, I just don't like what it does to healthy female bodies and to potential unborn babies, no I am not Catholic, and finally, yes I have my hands full, but luckily I sling my babies, so it isn't very often that they stay that way!:teehee:)

But I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!! Psalm 127:3-5 is like my life's theme verse!

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

But sadly most people don't share in our gladness, they insist on giving me that "look"--the one that says "that is too many kids" or "too bad it isn't a girl, otherwise we would be happy for you"

It makes me sad sometimes :(

stitchwitch
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't work, I work for my husband in his business, well it seems to be a big issue with my neighbor. One night I got home and he was standing beside my garage and asks me where I've been all week. I told him I had jury duty and he says to me "oh, I thought you got a job so you can contribute to the ecomony." This coming from one of the cheapest people I have ever known, the guy sits in the dark because he's afraid of his electric bill. :roflhard:

Jan in CA
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I am shocked at all this lack of manners. :doh:

I was 2 mos pregnant with my second child and ended up with influenza which led to a 104+ temp and pneumonia. Someone had the gall to tell me my baby would probably be brain damaged from the high fever. :shock: What kind of person tells a pregnant mom that kind of thing!? I wish I could remember who it was so I could flaunt my gifted, high IQ daughter in their face. Sheesh!

jjminarcik
09-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Stitchwitch - thank you for starting this thread! :thumbsup:

Someone mentioned grandmothers saying rude things. . . here are 2 for you. Keep in mind, my grandmother is 88 yrs old, completely sane, and has NO filter of her words, she just says what she thinks.
When I started college I discovered beer :clink: and put on a few pounds. When everyone got together at Christmas that year and I got up during dinner to get something and walked across the room. She said - to about 20 other people in the room - "Damn, JJ is getting fat!" (I was a size 6 at the time). :!!!:

I now live 800 miles away from home. When me and DH went back in July we had a big get together with everyone and she was there. We were all having a few beers, no big deal. I walk out on the porch with a beer in my hand and she says "JJ, now I know what keeps you so fat" (I'm a size 8) Again, :hair:

Usually we laugh off her comments. After all, they will make great stories for when she is in Heaven one day. But still, how rude!

iza
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
What kind of person tells a pregnant mom that kind of thing!?

That makes me think of something my mom told me. I was born with a clubfoot, which is not a serious condition, but it was a bit hard on my parents since I was their first child. Well someone told my mom it was her fault I was born like this, she must have secretly wanted this to happen. :shock:

Limey
09-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't work, I work for my husband in his business, well it seems to be a big issue with my neighbor. One night I got home and he was standing beside my garage and asks me where I've been all week. I told him I had jury duty and he says to me "oh, I thought you got a job so you can contribute to the ecomony." This coming from one of the cheapest people I have ever known, the guy sits in the dark because he's afraid of his electric bill. :roflhard:

:chair::chair::rofl::roflhard:

It's becoming more and more obvious that you're descended from Limeys!:rofl::roflhard:

Mommy22alyns
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
IBut I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!!

But sadly most people don't share in our gladness, they insist on giving me that "look"--the one that says "that is too many kids" or "too bad it isn't a girl, otherwise we would be happy for you"

I got that right after having Sylvia, my youngest daughter. Literally, she was an infant and I was asked, "So, are you going to try for a boy now?" Like your family is incomplete with only one sex of children?

I have borne way too many insults as a teenager on the size of my boobs. Or lack thereof. Enough said there.

A girl I went to school with when I was about 11 or 12 was sitting next to me while we were practicing Christmas carols. I didn't even think I was singing badly, but she said something nasty about my attempt at singing. To this day, I refuse to sing in front of anyone but my girls. Until they get older.

The absolute, positive worst was MIL's reaction to how long it took Sylvia to walk. She was a month premature and we were lucky to have her at all. Five minutes and we might have lost her. Sylvia didn't walk until she was almost 18 months - right before the point where her doctor would have worried. From about 11 months on, every time we spoke to or saw MIL, we got a snippy, "Isn't she walking yet??" She actually said Sylvia was "lazy"!! When she did start walking, a family friend commented on it and MIL said, "At 18 months she should be walking better!" :!!!::!!!::!!!: THAT did it. Do NOT mess with my kids!!:fingerwag:

zkimom
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a "friend" who I've known since my 13 yo ds was born. She has a son about a year younger than mine.

When my ds was born he wasn't tiny, but he was one of those little scrawny chicken legged babies -- he still barely has an ounce of fat on him. He was always small for his age but my ped said no problem, as long as he continues to grow and follow his own growth curve.

One day my "friend" came up to me and asked if anyone had ever told me that my son was a failure to thrive baby.

My jaw dropped on the floor but I pulled it together to tell her that my ped thought he was doing just fine, thank you.

Funny thing is that now my son is 5 feet tall (an inch shorter than me) and her 12 yo is the size of my 9 yo dd.

She probably should have kept her comments to herself.

letah75
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh the grandma thing...:roflhard:

Mine once patted me on the behind (in front of my ex-bf and all of my friends and family) and said "WELL, I guess you'll never have to take padding with you to a baseball game!"

She too was sane and just had no filters. I work with these three women, one has 6 boys, one has 9 children and one has 7 children. They constantly get asked if they are trying to repopulate the earth, etc. Most people are trying to joke with them, but one morning, the lady with 9 kids came to work steaming mad.

She was out with all of the kids (and her two grandkids), and someone came up to her, asked if all 11 were her's, and said "Don't you know the earth is overpopulated?!? My goodness, you must not care much for the environment. What is wrong with you?"

zkimom
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I am shocked at all this lack of manners. :doh:

I was 2 mos pregnant with my second child and ended up with influenza which led to a 104+ temp and pneumonia. Someone had the gall to tell me my baby would probably be brain damaged from the high fever. :shock: What kind of person tells a pregnant mom that kind of thing!? I wish I could remember who it was so I could flaunt my gifted, high IQ daughter in their face. Sheesh!

Oh, Jan, how rude!

Some people really ought to put a sock in it.

Maybe we ought to have an avatar like that. A "foot in mouth" avatar.

zkimom
09-24-2007, 06:22 PM
That makes me think of something my mom told me. I was born with a clubfoot, which is not a serious condition, but it was a bit hard on my parents since I was their first child. Well someone told my mom it was her fault I was born like this, she must have secretly wanted this to happen. :shock:

:!!!:That is awful.

I hope your mom secretly wanted something to fall out of the sky and flatten that person.

hellokitty165
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
my MIL's friend once said this "mom really would like to have lots of grandchildren" my reply is "ya that would be lovely"...sure enough months later my B-I-L wife is pregnant... :thumbsup:

buzz off ...i feel like using my bug spray...

people just treat u like ALIEN when you don't give birth like others... when will they get it eventually???

Riss
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I'll never forget...

Sometime during the first two weeks of 6th grade, i'd "blossomed". One of the guys i'd considered a "friend" in elementary school sauntered over to me in homeroom one morning and asked me, "Hey Chris... I was wondering if ahh.. *he looks down at my chest* if you uhh... had a tissue..?" UGH. I spent the rest of the morning crying in the nurses office. It isn't just adults that can be rude.

I worked at a dollar store while in college, just to keep me in commute money. Just about every day I worked there, people would come in wearing their chanel sunglasses and carrying their prada bags and ask me if everything really was only a dollar, and would i take a credit card for their $3 purchase. I'd kindly tell them that yes, everything really is a dollar and that no, there is a $7 limit on credit transactions. At this point, they'd look down there nose and me and tsk and get all grumpy with me as they took 5 minutes to write out a CHECK, and then be completely appauled as I ask them for ID, which 9 times out of 10, they never carried. :D

I swear, I'll never work retail again thanks to that place...

Then there was the usual... "Did you do your hair yourself?" and I'd always want to reply with a "No, I go to the salon to have them part my hair for me every morning!" but i'd just smile and tell them no, I draw the zig zag into it myself.

People... *shakes her head*

kellyh57
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I am preggers with our 4th boy, and lemme tell you, not only did I dread telling people (especially family who sometimes can be the cruelest commentators on your life, as if being a blood relation gives them more of a right, but I digress...:wink:) that we were even having another child (yes-we planned it, yes we know what causes pregnancy and no we don't want to stop doing it, nope it was an accident or surprise, yes I know what birth control is, I just don't like what it does to healthy female bodies and to potential unborn babies, no I am not Catholic, and finally, yes I have my hands full, but luckily I sling my babies, so it isn't very often that they stay that way!:teehee:)

But I dread telling people it is another boy. We of course would love a daughter, but another boy is also very exciting!! Psalm 127:3-5 is like my life's theme verse!

5 Blessed is the man

I'm pregnant with my 3rd boy and get the same thing as you, though probably not as much! Mine are almost 5 and 2 1/2 and I'm glad they're close, would've been closer if I had it my way! Oh, and I was ecstatic when they told me it was another boy! I've got a house full of boy stuff and I'm so glad I don't have to deal with girly -girl clothes, shoes, ribbons, bows, PMS, etc.

I'm sick of everyone commenting on my waddle. It's always people who have never been, never will, or it's been so darn long they forgot, but come on! Try carrying an extra 20 pounds on your belly 24/7 and see if you can walk like a normal person!

Kelly

cristina61
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Back in the late '80s I used to wear my hair in a little mohawk, and of course I got a lot of looks in certain places, including the local library, where I was working as a shelver. I didn't let the stares bother me too much, but one day a middle-aged man, maybe in his fifties, came right up to me, gave me a look of stern disapproval and said, "What did you do, stick your finger in a light socket?"

He thought he was being extremely witty, and of course at that instant I couldn't think of anything clever to say back to him -- that was the worst part! Later on that night I thought of about ten things, but of course by then it was too late.

misha rf
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
About 5 years ago I was at an outdoor party. I was wearing my favorite blue floral print dress--it had an empire waist, so I could eat/drink to my heart's content. At the time, I was about a size 8. A guy I didn't know arrived at the party, walked up to me, rubbed my stomach and asked me when the baby was due!!!!!!!!! To which I replied, "I'm not pregnant; I'm just fat." (OK, I really wasn't, but it was all I could think of to say.) He was semi-embarrassed. I told my friend at the party, and he replied, "That fat f**k?! He's got a lot of nerve!!" And then he offered to beat the crap out of him for me. (I told him not to, but I appreciated the thought.)

syndactylus
09-25-2007, 12:14 AM
People used to ask me if I had cancer all the time.

A very lovely girl once broke it to me gently that only a pedophile could ever be attracted to me.

One guy asked me if he could bite my fingernails for me.
His little friend asked if I used a razor blade to part my hair. *Ok, I think they were both just freaks, but nonetheless.*

And one time in Germany an older couple asked if I was a Nazi, because my hair and doc laces were strawberry. I didn't quite grasp the logic, but the bravado (?) was impressive.

I sometimes like to think there is a cryogenic unit on the loose, randomly disabling people's inner monologues, all unawares to them...

jjminarcik
09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
A very lovely girl once broke it to me gently that only a pedophile could ever be attracted to me.

One guy asked me if he could bite my fingernails for me.

First of all, that girl was nuts :!!!: and second of all, the fingernail thing is just gross. :ick:

AnnaT
09-25-2007, 12:34 AM
My MIL is the worst "commenter" I've ever known. It wasn't so bad when I didn't speak any Greek, but now that I know what she says, I really wish I didn't. I sincerely believe that she sits around and thinks up mean stuff to say to me. I still feel stunned and very often now I get a fast heartbeat when I know I have to see her.

Her favorite thing to do is get me in front of a bunch of people, like at some kind of get-together, and announce some horrible lie about me or the U.S. Of course, she'll settle for insulting me without the benefit of a bunch of strangers, too. Once we were having a family dinner and had invited a few friends, too. I made the lamb and she told everyone there not to eat it. Once she told everyone at a get-together that the reason Americans are all so fat is because we eat dogs. Once she told an assembled group that Americans don't put up tombstones. Once she told everyone that she has to do all the cooking for our (mine and my husband's) home because I won't do anything. Last week she got a big belly laugh out of the fact that my husband and I didn't get to go on the little trip we'd planned.

The latest from this week (and it's only Tuesday morning):

I was working on my mother's scarf and she told me I was wasting money by taking up knitting.

She came over the other evening and was watching some terrible 1/2 hour comedy show with a very overweight actress. She told me I looked just like the actress. (Yes, I need to lose weight but I am not that large)

She's just not normal. That's what I keep telling myself.

momwolf
09-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Well I guess we know why kids tease each other and say some really rude things to each other.

Why is it MIL are sooooo rude?Why aren't the husbands telling their mothers to not talk to their wife like that?

People always used to say to me "Why do you have so many dogs" or " Why do you let your dogs in the house,they belong outside".To which I would reply " I love dogs and they don't lie, cheat, or steal from you like most people do." They make great companions.They give you unconditional love.Unlike people do.People always want something in return. I let my dogs in the house because I want to and the next time somebody breaks in your house you'll wish you had a dog inside the house instead of tied up to his dog house.

KnittingNat
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
I got another one, from today's work day! Arrrgh:hair:!We don't have a dress code, usually women wear what in US is considered casual and men wear elegant shirts, no ties. The summer is very hot and so the codes are much more flexible (though no flip-flops were sighted:teehee:). Today i'm going to my grandma after work, so i decided to dress up a bit. Put black pants, white top and a little jacket, black with thin white stripes, VERY elegant. Medium heels, a bit of make-up...Anyway, I look GOOD today... So our investment officer comes up to me and says "Oh, you look like prime minister's security...". I just looked at her and thought to myself :"And these shorts with high heels really make an ugly uglier..." I wish I could tell her that...

Sharly
09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Sharly, I take it you WEREN'T wearing a Bama shirt!:teehee::hug:Just kidding.

I get the same reaction when I DON'T wear a UT Vols shirt on Fridays before the game (looks kinda stupid with a business suit so I don't)--rude comments from people in the Courthouse who are wearing UT shirts. Pooh on them!

And there is a special place in hel* for people who say "its only a cat" or "its only a dog", too--right next to the stupid people who make stupid comments like that!

Purly, you are right - not Bama! Though, I'm not a Bama hater (or, a UT hater for that matter :)). All day long I had heard people telling me what an ugly shirt I had on. I usually take pride in the way I dress and by the end of the day, I had just had enough!! Pooh on them, indeed!!

And, some people just don't get it about pets, do they? But, why can't they just keep their pie holes shut??? Thanks for comiserating with me!!

roseybee
09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
My first daycare kid was a full-term baby and he didn't walk until he was 17 months old. My son (a month younger than the daycare boy) walked at nine months. All kids are different. I have four, and sometimes I wonder if they're really related, since they are so different. Don't let anybody's comments about your kids get to you! Someday your DD may be in the Olympics, and that'll teach 'em!

roseybee
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM

5 Blessed is the man

I have four kids: two boys and two girls, in that order, so even though we don't have the gender issue comments from people, we still get the "don't you know what causes babies?" comment from perfect strangers -- even cashiers at stores!
My oldest was four when my youngest was born, so we also get comments on how close they all are in age. I think they're perfect, and don't understand why people feel their idea of good age gaps between kids should work for me. We said "when they come, they come" and we're thrilled with the little people we made.
I always wanted six kids, but financially it wasn't feasible, so my DH got a vasectomy. I had a really hard time with it, since I didn't feel our family was complete, and so people's comments implying we have too many children really make me mad.

Kaydee
09-25-2007, 09:36 AM
When I was in 4th grade, there was this substitute teacher, Mr. Mooney that we would all dread having because he was so mean. One day I came in on a Monday and had a temporary tattoo of a flower on my cheek from a carnival I was at with my family the day before. Mr. Mooney looked at me and said “why would you put that ugly thing on your face?” I ran into the bathroom crying and scrubbed it off until me cheek was red. He was an older man who obviously didn't like his job but why would a teacher say that to a child?

roseybee
09-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I have stayed home with my kids since they were born, and have had a family daycare since my oldest was three months old. I started with just one daycare kid, and now it's gron into a real business for me. I'm soon to be licensed by the state as a group family daycare, with an assistant and up to 14 kids. I have a bona fide business, with a name on file with the county and IRS and everything. I have to have training and take classes in subjects from early childhood development to business management to child abuse recognition and reporting.
Somebody posted a comment on a website, not aimed at me in particular but all childcare providers: "Instead of complaining about how underpaid/underappreciated you are, get a real job, or better yet, get a degree"
Well, I have a bachelor's degree with a double major. I always wanted to be a mom and stay at home with my kids. That is my career, and my real job, and having a daycare is my way of getting paid to do what I love. Just because I take care of children does not mean I am uneducated or lazy. People entrust me with their children and infants, and that is one of the most important jobs of all.

Chel
09-25-2007, 10:10 AM
A friend was introducing me to a guy and as as we approach him and her uncle, I overhear her uncle say, "I told you she was fat but I guess her face isn't too bad."

My mom likes me to stay home with her when I am not working. In a way, I can't blame her because she is disabled and I know she is lonely but she really makes me feel insecure on the rare occasion when I go out. (mabe 2x per year) She looks at me like I have grown a 2nd head and says, "You are wearing THAT?" Any bravado I have is crushed and I ask, "Whats wrong with this?" Her response is, "Nothing if thats the way you want to look." Nothing concrete, no actual definition of whats wrong or inappropriate. Just hitting below the belt.

Not long ago I was on web camming with my friend in Ireland (Lord have mercy, that man is hot!) and my mom comes out and says, "Well I HOPE you don't think your hair looks GOOD!". That was the first thing she had said to me that day.

Since I have never been thin I am used to the comments people make...

Oh, but you have such a pretty face...
You could be pretty if only you lost weight...

Oh and the kids at school were the worst. There was this really popular guy who used to moo at me when I walked down the hall. My last memory of him was us being alone in the hall-without an audience I have no idea what prompted him to be so cruel- and he was about 30 feet away mooing like a cow. Loudly.
A week later he was killed in a car accident and I actually had the nerve to feel guilty that I didn't care he was dead.

I ran into one of my middle school teachers and he asked what I was doing with my life. I said I was a preschool teacher. He responded by saying, "Ha! I knew it. You were nothing and you grew up to be nothing!" I was flabbergasted, but collected myself enough to respond by glaring at him up and down and saying, "What do you expect? I had a great role model."

My mother thinks its horrible that I am so outspoken, but I decided a long time ago I was tired of letting people make me feel like I didn't have a right to be somewhere. They back down pretty quick when I look them in the eye and ask if they have an issue.

stitchwitch
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I get wayyyyyy too many nasty comments from my parents, too many to even remember or think about anymore. They come on almost a daily occurance from my mom.
Although, back in May I was hospitalized for a week with diverticulitis. My dad says to me over the phone "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you stupid or something?" He felt I shouldn't have eaten corn, thereby causing me to get sick in his mind.
My mom makes snarky remarks about my marriage, our wealth, my looks, etc. all the time. We think it's a way of her counteracting her own feelings of inadequency. She knows some hotspots and will put in a few digs each time I talk to her. It's a wonderful way to live and communicate. I dread picking up the phone. :hair:

PurlyGyrl
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
:hug: Chel :hug: I've never been thin either and its true, after a lifetime of hearing the rude comments you just get to the "to hell with them" point. Had a man call my office and ask "Are you the fat one or the skinny one?" I said "I'm the fat one and I remember you, your the stupid one." Not very professional but it shut him up really quickly. And other time this really old lady said to my boss "I can't believe you would hire a fat person to work here." He grabbed her by the elbow and escorted her out. I later saw her at the post office and she started toward me saying "Hey your that fat lady." I cut off by saying "Yep, I'm that fat lady but you are old and you will DIE soon." And I'll be darned about two months later she did DIE. And no I didn't feel bad at all.

msoebel
09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
quote=PurlyGyrl "I cut her off by saying "Yep, I'm that fat lady but you are old and you will DIE soon." And I'll be darned about two months later she did DIE. And no I didn't feel bad at all."

Okay...so totally wrong, but so freaking funny!

What really annoys me, even more than people making stupid comments about the fact that we haven't been able to have any more children, are the people who make STUPID comments about my dh's job.

I actually cut off a friend of mine from childhood because she was so patronizing and just plain wrong about it.

He's a youth pastor. Yes, that is a full time job. Yes, his job allows him SOME flexibility to be available to his family during his normal office hours, but he also works 70+ hours in a normal week...not including the phone calls at 2 am from a student who is suicidal, or the times when he drives out to a home to mediate because a kid ran away and is back now, or the court dates he attends, or the graduation parties, or the high school plays/musicals/sport events, or when kids show up at our house because they know they are ALWAYS welcome there...He works his butt off. And dd and I love him and we love "our" kids and we wouldn't have it any other way.

But it's NOT a cushy job. He works very hard for NO thanks. He doesn't make much money and he doesn't get free cars, free clothes or free whatever because of his job. He isn't a televangelist!:wink:

And yet, it is surprising how many people, upon finding out what he does, say, "Oh, it must be nice to only work part time.":hair: Because apparently, he only has to work on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights.

Misty

Chel
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Those are the people who think kids require and deserve minimal effort-the exact people whose kids end up in crisis. Be thankful your mind (and heart) isn't as small as theirs. :hug:

Rorshach
09-25-2007, 05:26 PM
And yet, it is surprising how many people, upon finding out what he does, say, "Oh, it must be nice to only work part time.":hair: Because apparently, he only has to work on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights.

Heh, I would reply that compared him they ARE working only part time. Then hand them a sign that says "I'm stupid".

MellieThePooh
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
When I was in 4th grade, there was this substitute teacher, Mr. Mooney that we would all dread having because he was so mean. One day I came in on a Monday and had a temporary tattoo of a flower on my cheek from a carnival I was at with my family the day before. Mr. Mooney looked at me and said “why would you put that ugly thing on your face?” I ran into the bathroom crying and scrubbed it off until me cheek was red. He was an older man who obviously didn't like his job but why would a teacher say that to a child?

He reminds me of my kindergarten teacher! Seriously, I don't know why this guy chose to teach kindergarten, he was awful! He made us color in one direction on the whole sheet of paper (instead of randomly scribbling like most kids do) and we had homework. He made me so nervous that I developed a stutter. One day while we were saying the pledge of allegiance I couldn't keep up because I was stuttering and he made me stand up in front of the entire class and say it by myself! which of course was harder with the stutter...which went away a month or two after school let out and I didn't have to be around him anymore.

I wish I'd told my mom. I didn't know it wasn't normal, but when I told her a few years later, she told me she never liked him and would have pulled me from that class in a heartbeat if she'd known.

momwolf
09-25-2007, 06:35 PM
PURLYGYRL -man call my office and ask "Are you the fat one or the skinny one?" I said "I'm the fat one and I remember you, your the stupid one."

GOOD ONE :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard:
PEOPLE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID:tap::hair::nails::!!!::grrr::hair::passedou t:

Sajomaro
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
People always used to say to me "Why do you have so many dogs" or " Why do you let your dogs in the house,they belong outside".To which I would reply " I love dogs and they don't lie, cheat, or steal from you like most people do." They make great companions.They give you unconditional love.Unlike people do.People always want something in return. I let my dogs in the house because I want to and the next time somebody breaks in your house you'll wish you had a dog inside the house instead of tied up to his dog house.

I think it was Richard Dean Anderson that said "The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

I ran into one of my middle school teachers and he asked what I was doing with my life. I said I was a preschool teacher. He responded by saying, "Ha! I knew it. You were nothing and you grew up to be nothing!" I was flabbergasted, but collected myself enough to respond by glaring at him up and down and saying, "What do you expect? I had a great role model."

And this guys a teacher? Doesn't he know the first five years of a child's life are the most important developmentally? You give more to any child that you teach then he ever will.

Somebody posted a comment on a website, not aimed at me in particular but all childcare providers: "Instead of complaining about how underpaid/underappreciated you are, get a real job, or better yet, get a degree"

I started to train to become a Early Childhood Educator but had to quit because of financial problems. When I told one guy what I was going to school for he laughed and said "Oh! A glorified babysitter." It really ticked me off. There is way more to being a preschool teacher/daycare provider then what a babysitter would do. Not to mention the fact that I was never one of those babysitters that just sat around watching TV while the kids played. This guy supposedly wanted to become a social worker for troubled youth. Guess I know why that didn't work out.

stitchwitch
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I swear, I am not making this up. I just went and got the mail and the garbage cans from at the end of my driveway. One of my neighbors (I think he's on meds of some sort or he needs to be) walks up to me with his dogs and says:

Jimmy: You know your next door neighbors are pregnant?
Me: Yeah, I got that memo
Jimmy: You should have a baby
Me: Yeah, that's not going to happen.
Jimmy: Are you still having your period?
:chair::chair::roflhard::roflhard:

iza
09-26-2007, 01:11 PM
:shock: Holy moly! It's so rude, it's actually hilarious :roflhard:

PurlyGyrl
09-26-2007, 01:16 PM
StitchWitch! :chair::passedout::thud:Did you stuff HIM into the garbage cans???

Sharly
09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Oh, please tell me that didn't happen!! Oh my gosh!!

Rorshach
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
sheesh, that guy must be very brave. If I ever ask my DW that when she's not, oooh the fur tends to fly in a manner of speaking. but for a neighbor to do it? oy vey I am surprised that guy is still standing.

stitchwitch
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I looked at him with this over exaggerated shocked face and burst into laughter and walked away. He tried to hug me, I think he felt bad or thought I was laughing out of nervousness or something, I don't know.
I had to go out into the back yard and do a little gardening to get myself composed and even now I can't stop laughing.

MMario
09-26-2007, 01:48 PM
The pattern of the conversation sounds like someone with some "developmental difficulties"

or possibly **OVER**medicated.

But rudeness (true rudeness) really lies in intent - not perception. Which is why you run across the occasional person that can make you made enough to spit - though you never see them without a smile on their face and a civil word on their (venom-dripping) tongue.

Chel
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
You should have told him, "Yes, I am still having periods. On occasion I have hyphens and exclamation points, also period By the way comma what gave you the indication that my personal life is any of your quote unquote business questionmark"

Doodknitwit
09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
when my son was a wee babe my friend and I were out shopping she had a babe 1 day older than mine.. we had to stop in the ladies lounge to nurse them. wellwe were sitting side by side nursing the babies and this lady walked up and said oh are they twins............... :roflhard: :wall::wall: :whoosh: we didn't exactly know what to say..

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said did you have a bowl of stupid for breakfast...?? :poke:

Rorshach
09-26-2007, 02:13 PM
usually when I catch people being that stupid I usually ask, "Did you have to go to college to learn how to be that stupid, or does it come naturally?"

Sharly
09-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Love that bumper sticker!! Gives new meaning to "breakfast of champions", huh? :lol:

jeanius80
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Somebody posted a comment on a website, not aimed at me in particular but all childcare providers: "Instead of complaining about how underpaid/underappreciated you are, get a real job, or better yet, get a degree" ... People entrust me with their children and infants, and that is one of the most important jobs of all.
umm, and who would raise his spawn when he has some? i am sure he'll be putting them in a daycare....:oo:

why do people think that childcare providers and early educators are not important? this has always bothered me. if you aren't willing to or can't be home to care for your own kids, wouldn't you want someone trustworthy and responsible be in charge of them? :??It isn't glorified babysitting. i could rant on and on about this topic. it's one of the reasons why i get so hot under the collar about professional sports and 'celebrities'. :!!!:we pay more for our entertainment than the care and education of our children. homeschooling is looking better and better each day.
stichwitch- you have got some nieghbor there. it would take all my effort to not say something back.
"well, i do have a menstrual cycle, but currently, i am post menstrual. I'll be sure to mail out announcements when the next one starts.":teehee:

Mommy22alyns
09-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I was working on my mother's scarf and she told me I was wasting money by taking up knitting.

Assure her you won't be wasting any time or money knitting her anything. :-x

Mommy22alyns
09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Had a man call my office and ask "Are you the fat one or the skinny one?" I said "I'm the fat one and I remember you, your the stupid one."

OMG... congratulations, you have just succeeded in literally making me spit out my food laughing! Okay, it was just a cracker crumb, but I love your retort!! :roflhard::roflhard:

I just have to say, I think childcare workers are woefully underpaid. I did a short stint at a daycare many years ago, and just with school-aged kids, it's a crazy lot of work!

jeanius80
09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
amber- i worked at a daycare and learning center. i worked with the 4 yo group first then i was in charge of the b4 and after K kids. it is a lot of work, but very gratifying.:heart: it is very underpaid. i think at the time i was earning $7.50/hr.

AnnaT
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Assure her you won't be wasting any time or money knitting her anything. :-x

You'd better believe it.

AnnaT
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
sheesh, that guy must be very brave. If I ever ask my DW that when she's not, oooh the fur tends to fly in a manner of speaking. but for a neighbor to do it? oy vey I am surprised that guy is still standing.

He needs to be knocked out. Having said that, I'm terminally nonconfrontational and I would have died of embarrassment and then probably have gone in the house and cried.

misha rf
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Stitchwitch, your neighbor....DANG!!!! I probably would have laughed about it. Unless I had PMS, in which case, I would have felt the need to warn him before I decked him. :rofl:

On the school front, when I was a senior in HS, I decided I wasn't going to go to college. (We'll skip all the drama this caused at home.) My "guidance" counselor told me, "There are some people in this world who are incapable of making their own decisions and need to be told what to do. You are one of those people." I somehow managed to walk out of his office & then took out my anger on a bathroom stall. (Yes, I did eventually go to college--on my time and my terms and got a lovely BA in Art History. Want some fries with that?)

Mulderknitter
09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Ah, a place to personally vent:hair:on my own job horror. I left my job of 3.5 yrs to go work at a psychiatrist's office. I had heard good things about him and the interview went well. Needless to say starting the first day everything turned into a nightmare. He suggested that I try to get to know the other people by watching soaps with them on my breaks in the breakroom. (I am soooooooo not a soap person...and I like to eat by myself so I can read a book at the same time) Over the next week he continues to tell me ALL THE FREAKING TIME how his last secretary was like a daughter to him....(hellooo... I'm right here and obviously not your daughter....) He spent an ENTIRE afternoon "teaching" me how to use windows to type out his dictations. Literally showing me how to cut and paste. I am not a person that likes to waste time... no siree... so I said that I knew how to do that if he wanted to move on.
long story short... He decided to fire me after 2 weeks. Called me into his office and told me I was a mean person and that I would never succeed in the field of psychiatry because I was "a horrible person". I will never forget that. I have had rude comments made on my appearance, actions, etc.. but never have had someone make such a judgement on my personal character after knowing me only 2 weeks. Seriously, if you are a psychiatrist wouldn't you know how awful it is to say that to ANYONE????
Ah well. I didn't like it there anyway. darn soap watching on breaks people. And now I work in a great place. so there.:yay:

Rorshach
09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
well Mulderknitter, it sounds like you were crazy to work in a psychiatrist's office...wait for the rim shot. :) seriously, though, for a shrink to tell you that, not a good thing.

My "goonie" comment came while I was getting fired from my last job. Now, to be fair, I deserved to get fired for what I had done. Anyway, my supervisor had come down and started screaming at me, and had bragged that he had a 6-year degree, (This was from calling him an idiot, during the argument) and asked what did I have? I had told him that I had a brain, and all that his "6-year" degree really proved was that a monkey could graduate college.:roflhard:

mornnen
09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Here's mine--

Back when I was in graduate school, I worked one summer, part time, as a telemarketer. (Hey, it was a paycheck!) Anyway, I called this number, and I asked to speak with Mr. _____ . This wench said "Unlike you, Mr. ________ has a real job, and can't speak to you right now." :mad:

I was so mad that I had to take a break. I so wanted to tell her that she must not have a real one either!:!!!:Uppity @##$$%%^^&*&&^%^%$#%$:!!!:

stitchwitch
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
That was you!!!! Sorry about that! :teehee:

Just kidding

MamaMer
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Oh yes I almost forgot my most embarrassing one!

A few weekends ago, we had some errands to run, and one was to Linens N Things to see if they had some canning supplies. Dh was waiting in the car with the kiddos while I ran in, and on my way out, I got yelled at.

Where this store is, it is in a busy shopping area with lots of large storefronts around it. People regularly speed past the entrance with no regard for pedestrians. For my part, I have been experiencing some lower back/hip pain with my preggo weight gain, so I walk with a slight limp, and I am pretty slow when it flares up (this happens every pregnancy, somehow all that joint relaxing hormone floods my body a bit too much and too soonhttp://www.christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/rolleyes00.gif-- so everything loosens up and hurts for the duration of the pregnancy)

So I looked both ways before stepping into the street, and saw a small compact car turn into the road that goes in front of this long line of storefronts, but it was way down, so I went ahead and started across. I hear this car accelerate (and it was much faster than it should have been for the situation, IMO, she saw me step into the street and purposely sped up to show me how big and bad her car and driving washttp://www.christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/rolleyes00.gif ) and she, of course, gets to where I am crossing before I am past, so she dramatically slams on her breaks, and opens her car door and yells "Hey you fat cow, you need to be getting some pep in your step when you see me coming, b***h!" and slams her car door shut with her and her passenger hooting and hollering at how clever and funny they are and speed off down the shopping center road.

I am fat, I have no problem with people describing me as fat, I call myself fat, but not in a demeaning or teasing way, it is just something that I am. Fat. It doesn't define the whole of me. BUT... this was not a description of me, it was a mean spirited barb, and I wasn't in the wrong. She sped up to make a point (of some sort--I am still trying to figure out what it washttp://christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/zzzdunno.gif ) I was mostly out of her way when she approached me, it didn't have to be so dramatic of a stop on her part. And I wasn't staring her down or anything when I was crossing the road.

I guess as a young woman I would NEVER have had the audacity to yell that at someone! Even if they did get in my way. Sadly, I think this is becoming more and more the normhttp://christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/no2.gif

jeanius80
09-27-2007, 03:11 PM
:hug: meri! what an awful person!
i probably would have said something back... but that's cause i tend to have a big mouth. like, "oh sorry, i guess you couldn't see me crossing the road. were you too busy learning how to form that clever sentence?" ;)

PaperGirl
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
About 7-8 years ago, I was waitressing at a sports bar, and I was wearing a Houston Astros shirt, cause you know, thats my team. :heart:

Well, anyhoo...I had some ***hole tell me that I would look alot better if I went and got a boob job! :doh:

And of course, there are the horrible comments I get all the time when I eat out, and just want a salad or something...the looks...the snide comments..."
OMG, look at her! Shes so skinny! I bet she's anorexic.."

All the while, Im trying to enjoy a nice dinner with my family..and they hear the comments too.

Its so awful. I would never say something so judgmental about someone I didnt know anything about!

Im not anorexic..and never have been. Ive just got a whacked out metabolism.

OH, and another one that really cheeses me off!

I LIKE to walk. I walk to the store up the street...I walk to my mailbox, and at least once a week, I get someone that gives me that..."OMG, did you WALK here?" look. Like I am a pathetic little girl with no car..so I have to walk...

Yes, I did. I dont see the purpose in firing up my HUGE pickup for a 2 minute drive to the mailbox, when its such a nice cool day, and my dogs need to be walked. :hair:

Rorshach
09-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I LIKE to walk. I walk to the store up the street...I walk to my mailbox, and at least once a week, I get someone that gives me that..."OMG, did you WALK here?" look. Like I am a pathetic little girl with no car..so I have to walk...

Yes, I did. I dont see the purpose in firing up my HUGE pickup for a 2 minute drive to the mailbox, when its such a nice cool day, and my dogs need to be walked.

I hear ya there. Though when I get that question asked, I usually say "Nope, just had Scotty beam me over here." Just cuz you have a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean that you have to use it. I wonder how many people would get healthier by walking 3 times a week? heh most of those rude people would consider getting up from their bed and going to the restroom "a walk":roflhard:

zkimom
09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Meri,

How rude!

It makes me think of a scene from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" when someone cuts Kathy Bates off and takes her parking space. She says: Hey! I was waiting for that spot! The girl driving responds: Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!
The next scene shows Kathy Bates repeatedly backing her car into the car of the girl who took her spot. The girl#1 says: What are you *doing*? And girl #2 says: Are you *crazy*? Kathy Bates says: Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.

In my secret world I'm Towanda the Avenger (who rights all wrongs.)

Best,
Susan

Ronda
09-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Meri,

How rude!

It makes me think of a scene from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" when someone cuts Kathy Bates off and takes her parking space. She says: Hey! I was waiting for that spot! The girl driving responds: Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!
The next scene shows Kathy Bates repeatedly backing her car into the car of the girl who took her spot. The girl#1 says: What are you *doing*? And girl #2 says: Are you *crazy*? Kathy Bates says: Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.

In my secret world I'm Towanda the Avenger (who rights all wrongs.)

Best,
Susan

I thought of the same thing when I read her post. FGT is one of my favorite movies!

On on hand, I'm LMBO at some of these posts. On the other hand, I'm appalled by some of the things people have said. I can't imagine ever being so rude to anyone.

msoebel
09-28-2007, 10:13 AM

A few weekends ago, we had some errands to run, and one was to Linens N Things to see if they had some canning supplies. Dh was waiting in the car with the kiddos while I ran in, and on my way out, I got yelled at.

Where this store is, it is in a busy shopping area with lots of large storefronts around it. People regularly speed past the entrance with no regard for pedestrians. For my part, I have been experiencing some lower back/hip pain with my preggo weight gain, so I walk with a slight limp, and I am pretty slow when it flares up (this happens every pregnancy, somehow all that joint relaxing hormone floods my body a bit too much and too soonhttp://www.christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/rolleyes00.gif-- so everything loosens up and hurts for the duration of the pregnancy)

So I looked both ways before stepping into the street, and saw a small compact car turn into the road that goes in front of this long line of storefronts, but it was way down, so I went ahead and started across. I hear this car accelerate (and it was much faster than it should have been for the situation, IMO, she saw me step into the street and purposely sped up to show me how big and bad her car and driving washttp://www.christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/rolleyes00.gif ) and she, of course, gets to where I am crossing before I am past, so she dramatically slams on her breaks, and opens her car door and yells "Hey you fat cow, you need to be getting some pep in your step when you see me coming, b***h!" and slams her car door shut with her and her passenger hooting and hollering at how clever and funny they are and speed off down the shopping center road.

I am fat, I have no problem with people describing me as fat, I call myself fat, but not in a demeaning or teasing way, it is just something that I am. Fat. It doesn't define the whole of me. BUT... this was not a description of me, it was a mean spirited barb, and I wasn't in the wrong. She sped up to make a point (of some sort--I am still trying to figure out what it washttp://christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/zzzdunno.gif ) I was mostly out of her way when she approached me, it didn't have to be so dramatic of a stop on her part. And I wasn't staring her down or anything when I was crossing the road.

I guess as a young woman I would NEVER have had the audacity to yell that at someone! Even if they did get in my way. Sadly, I think this is becoming more and more the normhttp://christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/no2.gif

Ah yes. Impeccable driving, maturity AND intelligence! What a winner that chick was!

People who have to blow out other's candles to make their own burn brighter are pathetically sad.

KnitClickChick
09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
:(

I don't know why people feel they need to comment on how many children people have. Who cares? I am glad you are having another baby! I am glad you find joy in having your hands full!! I think it is a bit sad large families are not really the norm anymore. Your children will have each other for support later in life. Everybody needs somebody, and who better than a sibling, who understands you? I think you are doing your boys a favor. Good for you!!! :woot:

Mommy22alyns
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
(Yes, I did eventually go to college--on my time and my terms and got a lovely BA in Art History. Want some fries with that?)

Please, please, please tell me about your journey!!! I didn't go to college right out of high school and have spent 11 years beating myself up over it. I need to hear from people like you!

cristina61
09-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Please, please, please tell me about your journey!!! I didn't go to college right out of high school and have spent 11 years beating myself up over it. I need to hear from people like you!

Mommy22alyns, my mom didn't get a chance to go to college until she was in her late 40s. She started at junior college, going at night, and by the time I was in high school (I was the youngest of her three kids) she had graduated from a four-year university, with honors! She got her teaching credential, and when she was in her 50s she began teaching kindergarten and later on taught kids in the fourth and fifth grades. Needless to say, we're very proud of her accomplishments.

Not to downplay the importance of being a mom (!), but don't ever give up on your own dreams -- there's still time to do what you want to do. :)

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I think that probably the most ignorant *er, I mean 'goonie'* thing that was said to me was courtesy of my EX boss, and a perfect example of why I quit my job...
I am not graceful. Never have been, never will be. I accept it. I have bad knees from falling oddly and just generally being a clumsy, clumsy galoot, which only makes me clumsier, when one or the other locks up or gives out. It's fun, good times.
Anyway, I am a tattoo artist, which is great for me, because while sitting down I can't trip or fall or stumble, although I can occassionally drop things. Messy things, like ink or vaseline or dirty paper towels covered in ink and vaseline. It happens, whatever. Well, it just so happened that one night I was working with just myself and another co-worker, we'll call him 'Mark', and I dumped my blue ink all over myself; was washing it off in the sink when my boss called, and I dropped the phone into the sink which was full of blue ink water - needless to say, now I, the phone, the floor and the sink are smurfylicious. I stayed late to clean it all up, and managed to get everything except for a little blue around the phone buttons.
I had the weekend off, and went in Monday to work. My ex boss was already there, and asked me to stock the stations as soon as I got in (never mind that he had already been there for three hours, and could have easily done this himself in about five minutes...grrr) and I put my stuff away, went to reach for the paper towels stacked two high on a shelf nearly a foot over my head, and accidentally knocked one over, which caused an ever-increasing chain-reaction of Rube Goldberg proportions that culminated in a huge bottle of iodine falling down, opening, and splattering all over the floor! :doh:
I cursed a bit (ok, a lot) but just gritted my teeth when my boss laughed, cleaned it up, and stocked the stations. When I sat down with him after finishing he says something to the effect of, Sheesh, first the ink all over everything, and now iodine? Yeah, I say, apparently I have the clumsies.
Well, he says, 'Mark' and I were talking about it Saturday , and we just figured you must be on your period or something.:thud:
WTF?!
More of his witticisms...
He also told a client - unprompted- that a former, also female, employee was so much like him that 'if she had a d***, you wouldn't know the difference.' :mortified::out:
He would ask clients before smoking if they were smokers or non... if they answered non, he just said 'sorry about your luck' and smoked anyway.
And that's just what's fit to print :OO:
He apparently thought he was pithy and witty, I just found him rude and deliberately inconsiderate.
AND....
speaking of grandmothers...
my DH's grandmother (not the one I adore, but the one I like, anyway) came over to celebrate a birthday. Everyone adult in the room except her (DH, BIL, MIL, and myself) is tattooed, and I work as a tattoo artist, so naturally the conversation turned to new ink, what poeple wanted and etc.... She pipes up suddenly "Well, people who get tattoos are just ...SIMPLE." and literally turned up her nose. LITERALLY!
I was floored and flabbergasted. I said "You do realize that everyone in this room is tattooed, right? And those simple people help support your great grandkids?"
She didn't answer me....

evona
06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
While I was pregnant with my DD an assistant at my father's office told me "Since you already have big hips when that baby's born your hips will be huge!" I was floored by that comment. The girl who told me that had no hips or butt and was a skinny little thing. I couldn't tell from her facial expression or body language whether she meant that as a compliment (as crude as it might sound) or an insult or was just an idiot :rofl: BTW, my hips were normal then and normal after my DD was born, remained normal after my DS was born and are only slightly larger today because I have a few pounds to shed :teehee:

evona
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Oi vai! How rude!!!!! Did you think about walking slower and slower :roflhard:

CountryKitty
06-18-2008, 06:28 PM
usually when I catch people being that stupid I usually ask, "Did you have to go to college to learn how to be that stupid, or does it come naturally?"

<Grin>....if we're in public, DH starts whistling "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz. (It's a rare sublety on his part.)

Knit4Pie
06-18-2008, 09:02 PM
My grandmother!! Talk about having no filters between her brain and her mouth! There are so many examples, but the ones that really got to me were the ones after my dd was born.

DD had issues with eating, but I just fed her more often to make sure she got enough. We get a call from my uncle one day and my grandmother was calling everyone telling them that my poor little girl was starving. Then someone in town told me that she told them that my little girl was too big!

If it was cold out and we were visiting at my dad's, she'd see DD sitting in her carrier seat with a sweater over her clothes and say "Is that what you brought her out with?" I would totally call her on it though and say "It's 25 below outside (celsius), do you think I'm so incompetent that I took her outside like that?"

It happened a couple of times that she called and I would run in from outside with the baby (she was just months old, so I HAD to carry her around) and my grandma would say "Did you leave the baby outside?" My answer "Of course I did, I just put her down in the middle of the street before running inside where I can't see her. She'll be fine." I know, I'm horrible.

Her insulting though could be very bad. We were in a restaurant once and a woman was there in a semi mini-skirt and a tank top. She didn't look bad or anything and was not what I would call overweight. My grandmother, in a very loud and carrying voice, said "Can you believe that she would go out in public like that? I would think she would put on a decent dress and be respectable in town where people can see her. It would also do her good to lose about 25lbs." (At the time I needed to lose more than that, so I knew she was 'sending me' a message). When I tried to point out that she was being rude and insensitive, she looked at me and said the most outrageous thing: "I'm old, I'm allowed."

Becky Morgan
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
When I was pregnant with DS, I was crossing a street and had the same experience--car accelerated, whipped into a right turn and drove over the curb in an attempt to hit me, drunk leaned out the window: "Baw haw haw, you can get knocked DOWN, too, b***!"
For once, for beautiful once, everything worked well...not only did I jump out of the way, but there was also a cop car in the street they turned into. Last I saw, the idiots were having a meaningful conversation with the officers.

HollyP
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I honestly can't believe how idiotic some people can be! I've read this thread just shaking my head.
My sister in law is a special ed teacher. She teaches the lowest level. Most of her students are in wheelchairs with very severe mental disabilities. She is one of the most patient and loving people I have ever met. One day a student's nurse was sick so there was a sub. The sub was an older lady who during lunch told my sister in law, that because she was so good with her students God would probably give her and my brother a disabled child. Who would say that to anyone?!? I would like to believe she meant well and it was a compliment but it's hard to considering what she said!

susi
06-20-2008, 06:08 AM
shaly, what kinda person says that about a beloved cat. i lost my chinchilla last week to old age and was heart broken over her death. when i lost my cocker spaniel 5 1/2 years ago i took a week of work i was so upset, and i knew she was going to die as she had a rare cancer that we had been going to chemo for nearlya year for! some people just dont get it. my dad being one of those people. all he said after my darling chin died was your not going to be stupid enough to get anotherone are you, then started argument after argument all day!!
mamamer, do you think its a little envious that you have 3 georgous boys and are lucky enough to have another 1 on the way? im like you i want a larger family as well, i say as long as you have the time and can afford your kids then what business is it of anyone elses!!

stitchwitch, omg. think id wana murder someone that was like that with me!! i dont work through my own choice either (i also dont take benifits etc either as thats not right with not working through choice).
i have a grandmother one as well. when i was 18 i was a us size 8, very fit and ate anything and everything under the sun because i neede to or i would loose loads of weight in just one wee (i had that kind of matabalisum). i was sitting eating yet another domino pizza (afetr a propper meal i will add, i look back going omg how on the earth did i eat like that now). i was informed that i would not be able to fit through the house soon as i ate so much!! which i did but had to. i was also called a tart because i spent the night with ds's father before we were married (we never did get married and now a single parent, god how she must have hated that hehe). he was on the couch btw so nothing like that lol.

the opther thing that sticks in my mind is when i was 16 mum and me went on a last minute deal cruise, we didnt check it out at all, just liked where it was going and the price was good. we got there and it was awful. older ladies (70+ mainly) would come up to me and say how lovley it was that 2 sisters would come on a cruise together!! i was a young looking 16 to boot hehe. mum had a gruin from ear to ear hehe

the optehr one happened about 2 wereks ago. i went with my dad to see his gp (he dosent speak french so i went to translate for him). i took ds who is 5 as i had no one that could lookl after him for me. went into the surgery to see a young (rather good looking doc) who was about the same age as me (26) to be told that my husbands astmah was absolutly fine!! omg he's nearly 60 and looks older! ds thought this was helarious that grandad was his daddy for the 20 mins we were in there. dad was chuffed as a young man thought he could get a woman under 30!! me not so again hehe

i cant get how people can be so damn rude though to everyone. i got a lot of comments being ina catholic (yeah right) country and being a single parent (i have a dp who lives in england), why cant people live and let live. just dont get it

susi