PDA

View Full Version : part 2: I am not worthy of my yarn

Mulderknitter
09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
does anyone else feel like they are not worthy of the brilliant gorgeous yarn they have? I have only been knitting for 2 yrs now, and can make a great scarf in any pattern, can do basic lace, even mittens, etc. but my recent addition to the stash of wonderful yarn has left me feeling a big inadequate in the knitting area. Anyone else? How do you get over this and find a great use for your great yarn that you don't feel like you will be an instant failure at?
I just keep looking at all these wonderful sweaters and such that people have made, then I look at the pattern and am instantly humbled. " I can't do that!"
How do you get over that?

Ingrid
09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
You get over it by doing it. You already are a knitter. Just cast on and go!:cheering:

Jan in CA
09-24-2007, 08:12 PM
If I had any gorgeous, beautiful yarn I might feel that way, but alas, I don't. :teehee:

Yarn doesn't go bad so you can keep it till you find something you want to knit. ;) And remember it doesn't hurt to try anything. Most knitting is just knits and purls and we are always here to help!:hug:

bip
09-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Ugh, I feel like a failure in two ways. The first way is the way you mentioned, that my knitting won't live up to the yarn. The second is that if I'm knitting for myself, when I finish, my FO will be the size of a house because that's the size that fits me. I can't tell you how much yarn (sweater's worth of Malabrigo, Reynolds Odyssey, Atacama, Nature Wool, more) is just sitting there waiting for me to be able to knit a size or two smaller. I never buy clothes in a smaller size hoping to lose weight. And I DO buy enough yarn to make the size I need, but for some reason, when I really sit down with it, the idea of knitting it up gets too depressing.

I went through a phase where I would use the super-nice yarns for gifts, but then I felt weird giving people presents that expensive. My circle of people I can give a $100 gift to is pretty small.

The worst part is that the solution isn't THAT difficult, and you would think as obsessed as I am about knitting, I would have the motivation...

chrislt8
09-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh bip I so understand where you are coming from! I finally decided that I am just going to knit those sweaters I see in my mind, and if I do manage to lose the weight I would like to, it will actually feel good to frog them and re-use the yarn. I mean, how often do we get to frog because of a SUCCESS?? In the meantime I get to wrap myself in my lovely yarns and feel good about how I look as I pursue trying to lose the weight.

As far as my knitting living up to the yarn...well, the way I look at it is that it can't hurt to try - I just go slow doing one row at a time. What the worst that can happen? I may have to frog a little, but I will have learned something along the way :shrug: and then get to knit my favorite yarns twice :lol:

Denise in Michigan
09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
does anyone else feel like they are not worthy of the brilliant gorgeous yarn they have? How do you get over this and find a great use for your great yarn that you don't feel like you will be an instant failure at?

Pick simple, classic patterns for your favorite yarns, then work really hard to execute them well. You'll enjoy a beautiful hat much more than a skein in a plastic bag in the closet. If life gives you gorgeous yarn and you can't make sweaters, make hats and mittens and whatever you can...and enjoy them, darn it!

syndactylus
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, I can relate.
The best yarn I had I ruined.
Now I just keep the other good yarn in a box to look at.

I don't know when I will recover...

At least it smelled a little funny to begin with...

tish
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Mulderknitter - I just go ahead with a pattern, and learn as I go, unless it's way way beyond what I know. I can knit a sweater, but not mittens, yet. IF I come to a spot where I'm stuck, I call a knitting friend, or the forum, and continue on my way. Otherwise, I'd do no knitting at all!

lauraknits
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey, yarn is meant to be enjoyed! If you will enjoy knitting it, knit it! If you enjoy stroking and hoarding it, do that. But don't worry that you'll hurt the yarn because you are not a good enough knitter! Do you play an instrument? If so, ever get to try out a really expensive guitar or violin or whatever it is you play? Notice how much better you sound?? It's the same with good yarn. It knits up better. I'll bet it will look GREAT! If not, quality yarns hold up to frogging quite well!!

Hazelgil
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I just keep looking at all these wonderful sweaters and such that people have made, then I look at the pattern and am instantly humbled. " I can't do that!"
How do you get over that?

You get over it by doing it. You already are a knitter. Just cast on and go!:cheering:

Totally agree with Ingrid on this one, the best way to get over the i can't do that feeling is to just cast on and have a go.
If your pretty competent with knitting scarves, and can do the basic stitches than something bigger shouldn't be a problem. As long as you follow the pattern then you should be fine, and if you do get stuck just post on the forum.

If you do try then then the worst that can happen is that you have to rip it out and start over. Remember that it's a learning curve, and the bar is only as high as you set it. Personally i prefer to challenge myself a little :woot:

Good luck anyway :muah:
Hazel

knitasha
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Use the most luscious, gorgeous, high-quality yarn you can lay your hands on. It'll make you look good as a knitter even if you make some mistakes. The gorgeousness of the yarn will overshadow the errors.

It takes just as long to make a sweater with junky yarn as with beautiful yarn. Why waste your life knitting junk?

Knitting is supposed to be enjoyable, whatever your level of skill. Knitting with gorgeous yarn is a pleasure; knitting with junk is a pain. Why punish yourself for being not-too-experienced? Enjoy.

Rorshach
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
And as Ingrid used to say in her signature, "If I can do it, you can do it." it's pretty much just taking the pattern one stitch at a time, pretty soon you've done it, and you wonder, "Why did I ever think I couldn't do this?"

hehe, should have Ingrid come up with a book of affirmations.

Mulderknitter
09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
hehe, should have Ingrid come up with a book of affirmations.
Thanks guys! I agree with Ingrid doing a knitters book of affirmations!
On the plus side, I can make mittens, albeit a bit large mittens. I can make socks. socks that fit and look like socks. I can cable, really cable with the best of em. erm... that's it. oh, and I can do lace but don't hand me a chart because I haven't gotten that yet.
So maybe I'll find a pattern here that someone else has done and see where it goes....
Thanks for the encouragement, I need it every once in a while!:muah:
And can I say that I LOVE knowing that I can post a question here anytime and get a response in a day or less??????:yay: