PDA

View Full Version : hideous?

MrsDavis3
09-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I ordered 3 colors of Gigante just to sample.
I didn't realize it was so thick and thin, I thought it would be mostly thick.

Anyway I knitted up a bit and my husband exclaimed that the yarn was "hideous!"

Who agrees?

spectorkitty
09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Well I don't know it does look a bit odd. When they say thick AND thin they weren't kidding!!

I think it might make a nice warm snuggly scarf, it looks soft and warm.

mwhite
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
It is odd but kinda funky, too! Yep, I kinda like it! Was it hard to knit with???

stirsmommy
09-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I like it. I think it would make a fun/funky sweater. I like the color too.

BinkyKat
09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I've knit with yarn like this before. Just on a hat and scarf for a gift. I loved it and so did the recipient. I find it funky myself :thumbsup:
It's freaky how the stitches on the needle look:shock::teehee:

Ingrid
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Eh, what does he know. It's YARN!! :rofl:

I made a scarf with yarn that was like this and I love it. Your colors are fantastic, too.

Riss
09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
It looks soft and snuggly... definitely has scarf written all over it in my world... I'd snuggle it and love it and call it Poofy :D

suzeeq
09-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I like it, too. Men who don't knit! What do they know anyway....

beckyrhae
09-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE slubby yarn. Its my favorite! I'm drawn to the texture it gives.

MerigoldinWA
09-25-2007, 12:50 AM
I think it's cool too. The colors are very nice. Just find the right project and you're in business.

Jan in CA
09-25-2007, 01:24 AM
It is different, but I think it's neat! It'll give whatever you make a nice texture. I think a simple stitch would be perfect for this like your sample.

Jints
09-25-2007, 01:48 AM
No not hideous. Cool! I did a 'My so called Scarf' in yarn like that (as gift). It looked great and quite different.

Slim
09-25-2007, 07:31 AM
No not hideous. Cool! I did a 'My so called Scarf' in yarn like that (as gift). It looked great and quite different.

My thoughts exactly! I did My So Called Scarf in Manos del Uruguay, which is the same type of yarn. I looks fabulous. I think it's a keeper. Love the colors, too.

roseybee
09-25-2007, 08:04 AM
I knit a felted booga bag (in forum titled FO: first felted item) with wool similar. It looked funny, too, though not as funny as yours.;) But after felting, it was really beautifully textured. Maybe you could felt something out of it? I do love the colors!

WandaT
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I love it! I think it's wonderful to get such different looks from the same ball of yarn!

Jennifer N
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
(most) Men don't know anything about yarn!
I think that is really pretty!!

dustinac
09-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I think it's pretty...and looks like it would be nice and warm...:happydance:

MrsDavis3
09-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

I looked at it and thought, "It's a lovely color, but there is something about it that brings to mind "deformity", because there is so much asymmetry." But after a while, I couldn't help thinking of a jellyfish every time I saw the yarn. When you see jellyfish in a tank in an aquarium, they really are quite beautiful (like in Finding Nemo!) But there is another side of them that repels you.

So I'm calling this my jellyfish yarn, and I'm mulling over some kind of jellyfish-inspired project.

suzeeq
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
The new knitty has a hat pattern called Urchin that uses thick and thin yarn....

MerigoldinWA
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I looked at it and thought, "It's a lovely color, but there is something about it that brings to mind "deformity", because there is so much asymmetry." But after a while, I couldn't help thinking of a jellyfish every time I saw the yarn. When you see jellyfish in a tank in an aquarium, they really are quite beautiful (like in Finding Nemo!) But there is another side of them that repels you.

So I'm calling this my jellyfish yarn, and I'm mulling over some kind of jellyfish-inspired project.

There are all kinds of ways to look at things, and this sounds like a good way to look at this. :chair:

You'll find the perfect project. :thumbsup:

bip
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I think it is beautiful. I have no idea how you would check your gauge with this stuff, but for a non-gauge criticle project I think it would be perfect! (and someone more resourceful than me could probably figure out the gauge for a sweater or something)

Quiltlady
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I love the look of thin and thick yarn. I've use it often when knitting scarves. I find the simplier the pattern when using these kinds of yarns the better.:woohoo:

Prazzie
09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I was expecting something really ugly when I clicked on the thread, but I think it's really lovely. I would love to see what you make with it.

Chel
09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Looking at the way it is knitting up, the thin and think pasts are forming diagonal stripes. I bet if you continued to knit with it the outcome would be clapotis-esque. (for lack of a better term)

I think the colors are lovely and it reminds me of bubbles.

candicane
09-25-2007, 02:04 PM
That yarn wants to be Urchin from the Fall Knitty! I have some Colinette Point 5 that has the same properties as your yarn. I am making the Cropped Raglan (#3) from the winter 2006-2007 Vogue.

I think you just need to find a pattern that suits the yarn better.

Candice

JingleBell
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I think it's really interesting yarn, and I love your idea of a jellyfish inspired project! It really does bring jellyfish to mind! :)

Mockle
09-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi

I have seen this yarn a lot recently and have seen some nice patterns for it too, but I do agree it does look a bit odd at the beginning, it is the right pattern that makes this yarn.

Rowan have one very similar it is called 'Biggy print'.
I don't think that they have a pattern book for this yarn however I have seen it cropping up in different Rowan pattern books such as 'Arabesque' , 'the bigger picture' or 'the next big thing' magazine.

Here is a link to a website that sells the yarn, what is interesting about it is that it has at the bottom a set list of patterns, this may give you some ideas ( i really liked the pattern called huddle ;)) : http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting-wool-yarn.asp?yarnid=24

also have a look a this one: http://theknittinggarden.com/ro-magbiggerpicture.htm

If you type in 'rowan biggy print patterns' in google it comes up with a lot of different stuff. Scarves and felted bags patterns tend to be the ones that come up the most.

HTH

Nat

MrsDavis3
09-28-2007, 09:11 PM
not hard at all

SusanMarie1956
09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
wow,

I like it. Those colors are ME.

Susan

cdjack
09-28-2007, 10:42 PM
I knitted a scarf out of yarn like that from JoAnn's. I think the yarn is called "Thick and Thin". Clever title... Anyway I knitted it in seed stitch and it turned out really cool.

AnotherBecca
09-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I LOVE it! I knit a scarf with yarn very similar to that and it reminded me of clouds- fluffy in some parts, and more "stringy" in others. The biggest mistake I made with that yarn was giving the scarf to my MIL. She didn't even appreciate it. *grumble* Should've just kept it for myself!

thalia326
09-29-2007, 07:04 AM
That's just his opinion, plus, he hasn't seen the finished product. I've knit with this type of yarn before and have been very pleased with the results. Scarf and hat started out looking a bit odd but the end result was gorgeous! The recipient was also very happy with it. What I've come to realize with my WIPs is to not judge until they're very near completion and certainly not to take criticism from anyone other than an experienced knitter. Go with your gut...and if it doesn't work out in the end, you can always modify your creations (I have a few of those) or add back to your stash by frogging the whole thing (gasp!)

MrsDavis3
09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
SEED stitch is one of my favorites. The swatch pictured is a few rows of garter and a few rows of stocking. I'm going to try seed stitch. Thanks!

MaleKnitter
09-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Just dont make anything for your husband with it... But (maybe it is just because I am also a guy) I kind of agree with him... Sorry, i dont want to offend anyone. The color is great and I am sure it would make a nice textured felted item, but, honesetly, I don't like the way it looks. :ick:
Everyone else seems to love it, so don't even worry about what your husband and I think. If you like it and it's fun to knit with, then go for it!

The.Knitter
09-30-2007, 01:39 AM
I agree with the rest. It's different, but I think it looks nice. MEN, just ignore him! If you like it then ..... keep on knitting.
:knitting:

Brelani
09-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I think it is great myself. It would make a nice jacket/coat I think. Also a scarf and hat. I like it.:happydance:

losnana
09-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I made a scarf out of the off-white, natural or whatever it is called, for mu dd. It is beautiful, and she loves it. It was in garter stitch, so went really fast. I'm betting you'll like it when it's finished.

McKnitty
09-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I think it looks interesting and would make a great scarf and/or hat. There are so many things I like about knitting, and playing with different textured yarns is one of them.

Prazzie
09-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Intrigued by the different reactions, I went looking for items made with this yarn. After seeing the effect in clothing, I still love it!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/Prazzie/ACFCD4.jpg
(http://www.yarnmarket.com/projects/Womens_Jackets_Coats-Super_Gigante_Jacket-594.html)http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/Prazzie/1011-hooded-cape4.jpg (http://www.yarnmarket.com/projects/Womens_Ponchos_Capes-Hooded_Shoulder_Cape-742.html)

Yup, definitely yummy!

Songbirdy
09-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I am not drawn to that yarn, but I was going to suggest trying a larger needle size than your swatch, seeing the pictures above, I really want to suggest a larger needle.

I think that simple One Skein Shrug would look well in this yarn.

But... its not me ;)

suzeeq
09-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree, it needs a larger needle to open up the fluffiness of it.

zelda-cheri
09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the yarn is quite beautiful just as it was swatched, but I can understand it might not be everyone's taste. Especially a man's, because it wouldn't knit up to suit a man (sort of like an eyelash yarn -- how many guy knitters buy that for themselves?)

If you don't like the look of a lot of the yarn knit up, maybe use it as an accent, sort of an extra frilly edging on a hat or scarf done mostly with a more uniform yarn. Or as others suggested, a big needle size to make something very light and airy.

Please post a pic of whatever you end up knitting with it!

mrslevite
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread. I love the look!

And this looks very similar to the yarn I'm coming up with while learning to spin on a drop spindle. I've been wondering if it would be usable. Now, I'm thinking I might really like the finished product. :)

MrsDavis3
10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe if I show my husband the photos of the gorgeous women above, he would suddenly find the yarn attractive!

suzeeq
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Maybe if I show my husband the photos of the gorgeous women above, he would suddenly find the yarn attractive!

:chair:

pauly81
10-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I am a man who knits and I have been wanting to buy some of this yarn for a while and I think I will. I love it.....l.it looks like some kind of stitch pattern to people who don't knit, or know all of our knitting secrets.

Jennmarie68
10-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I like how it looks. It looks like something I would want to cuddle up under. If it were me I would buy a few skeins in different colors and knit squares and then patch them all together to make a throw.... But I've been dying to get my hands on a new afghan pattern so I might be a bit biased...

MrsDavis3
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
well jennmarie I DID buy a ball each of 3 colors, just to try:

Waggus
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I ordered 3 colors of Gigante just to sample.
I didn't realize it was so thick and thin, I thought it would be mostly thick.

Anyway I knitted up a bit and my husband exclaimed that the yarn was "hideous!"

Who agrees?
My 14yo son said "It looks like someone took a photo and bulged out some bits on Photo Shop". His verdict, and my 13yos verdict: hideous. Another comment from 14yos: "Looks like some kind of slug-infested knitting"! He doesn't know I'm writing this... he wouldn't be that rude...

I kind of like it myself.

jeanius80
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
i like it! I am making a silk/ wool scarf that is think and thin like that! see:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1338/1056424661_c05dbf9ad4.jpg

i am using a 10 or 10.5 US straights

LittleGirlBusyBee
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
... WITH YOUR HUSBAND FOR SURE. I made an afghan out of Malabrigo that was thick and thin like that on no. 11 needles but I don't recall it being that bizarre looking. Ugh-- but everyone else seems to be finding the silver lining so-- bah hum bug :aww:

rissa
10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I think its lovely and would look great for the urchin hat from knitty, as well!

ladyjessica
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I kind of like it. It almost looks like it's creating a diagonal pattern where the yarn and stitches are thinner. Good for a scarf or maybe a hat.

lelvsdgs
10-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree with most on here, it's fun and funky! Would make a great scarf and hat and the color is beautiful!:happydance:

Tutu Carol
10-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I like it !!!! I knit a "neck warmer" using very similar yarn, it looks great !!! (my neck warmer can be pulled up & over to cover your head)

knit_me_a_sweater
10-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I :heart: the purple!! :)

MrsDavis3
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I took this yarn to my first grade Art Appreciation lesson this a.m., along with about 20 other skeins and hanks, a variety of yarn. Each child chose one to arrange on their group tables for a still life picture. This yarn, Gedifra Super Gigante went fast...the pink/purple (my "jellyfish" yarn) was the FIRST yarn to be chosen!

knit_me_a_sweater
10-12-2007, 06:31 PM
That's so pretty!!

sarahzknitty
10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I used this yarn (or something very similar) to make mittens, scarf and hat sets and they are sooooo cute! My boss and the rest of the girls at work think they should get sets for
Christmas.
Just keep working it....it will look much better on a larger/finished piece.

KnittingNat
10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
First of all , i don't think it's hideous, I kinda like it :heart:Someone mentioned Rowan's Biggy Print, i've knit with it on 20mm (:shock:) needles! I have a huge sweater and i'm planning a vest. It came out great, the only thing is that it's more evenly spun, shorter parts of thick and not that thin parts of thin. But it makes a snuggly, warm (though heavy to wear) garment. I think a scarf and a hat should be really great for that. And definitely use bigger needles ;)