PDA

View Full Version : Knitted Conversations

Knitting_Guy
09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm checked into a hotel again tonight. Still feeling a bit ragged from too much sun. I wandered into the hotel lounge around 5:00 to have a beer or two. Of course I took my knitting with me as hotel lounges tend to be a bit slow and boring.

The bartender was an older lady who took interest in my knitting and who happens to knit herself. She complimented my work and we chatted about such things for a little while until the locals began filtering in from their fields. The locals here in this little Iowa town are mostly farmers.

Most of the guys who wandered in for a drink were older guys and were all farmers. I sat drinking my beer and quietly knitting. One gentleman of around 70 I'd guess commented on what I was doing and the bartender told him that I do very good knitting work. He checked out the scarf I'm working on and said that he was quite impressed with it. He then began telling about how he knit all of his own socks as a kid but hadn't picked up the needles in years. He seemed genuinely nostalgic about it.

A few of the farmers there came over to inspect my work and to make their own comments about it. Every single one of them seemed quite comfortable with the fact that this big ugly tattooed truck driver was sitting in their bar knitting a scarf. I actually had a pretty good time talking with them although we had very little in common as my world revolves around traveling the country and their's revolves around bringing in the crops.

I really liked them as they're down to earth people without the slightest hint of pretense and all had a great sense of humor. It seemed that each one had some sort of knitting related story, either personal or a family member, that they were more than happy to share.

It's amazing to me how something as simple as a couple of sticks and some string can create a common ground upon which to base some friendly and interesting conversation. I suspect that had I not been working on my knitting I would have spent my brief time there just sipping my beer and watching the idiot box instead of engaging in some lively human interaction.

Rorshach
09-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I've often come to the same conclusion. But then I've always had a knack of finding something in common with just about everybody.

BinkyKat
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I actually attracted conversation in the dr's office during dh's colonoscopy on Friday. :teehee:
Not for him, but the fact that the waiting area was small, and I was really set up with my MP3 and my knitting. Hey, I had the chance to plan and pack accordingly!
A lady and her adult daughter were the only two people in there at first in the early am, but finally after I talked to dh's nurse, and left my earphones out, the mom said she was waiting for a while to ask me what I was making. I'm working on the lion baby bottle snuggly for my soon to be niece and the loopy mane area was giving her fits to try to figure out what I was doing. Funny, I can pretty much figure that someone is watching me and will finally have to ask me a question. I think it's sort of cute. I've knit at and oil change too and the guys are all fascinated.:roflhard:

DianaM
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
That's really cool ^^
Mason, have you ever considered doing a podcast? Combine trucking, knitting and your adventures in both. It would be very interesting ^_^

Knitting_Guy
09-25-2007, 07:24 AM
That's really cool ^^
Mason, have you ever considered doing a podcast? Combine trucking, knitting and your adventures in both. It would be very interesting ^_^

Nobody would want to listen to me ramble on in my heavy southern accent :rofl:

debinoz
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I think you have a really nice voice, Mason! I loved that little video you did a while back.

The only knitting conversation I get is from DH and is only one line... "What in the hell are you making now?"

Denise in Michigan
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Mason! I find this really affirming.

Jan in CA
09-25-2007, 02:10 PM
The only knitting conversation I get is from DH and is only one line... "What in the hell are you making now?"

:shock: :roflhard:

I love your stories about the conversations you have in bars/restaurants etc, Mason. With all the stories we hear about what is going on in the world, these simple conversations with nice people kind of restore one's faith in humanity. :hug:

suzeeq
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
There's actually a lot more nice people out there than nasty ones. It's just that nasty ones do outrageous things that make the news more often.

suziehomemaker
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I was in O'Hare about a month ago and just knitting away in my own world after 2 days of business meetings. A Mennonite family came over and sat down near me. There were 7 boys all under the age of maybe 10 at the oldest. The 3 middle boys came right over to me and wanted to see what I was making. I instantly had friends!

Most of the people just stared at the family - actually it was very rude - I think because of the way they were dressed. Their mother and I chatted about crafts for a while and was impressed that I spin too. The boys just loved watching me knit.

We come from very different backgrounds but knitting unites us all!

Sharly
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Mason, if you don't want to do a podcast ("and who doesn't love a southern accent" she drawled) - why not think of writing a book! I would buy it!!

Rorshach
09-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, Mason, I'd have to say I would like to hear a podcast. since all it really is, is a vocal blog. But it's certainly up to you.

DianaM
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM

Ooooh pish tosh. You'd be great at it :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Mason, if you don't want to do a podcast ("and who doesn't love a southern accent" she drawled) - why not think of writing a book! I would buy it!!

Thanks, to be honest I have given that some thought.

BinkyKat
09-25-2007, 09:59 PM

:shock:
I would pay money to listen to you!

You would have tons of fans hanging on all your Masonisms and Such and Suches

sylvia
09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
used work with a lady whose husbands whole family was taught to knit at an early age male or female
very common in sweden
\sylvia

Sharly
09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks, to be honest I have given that some thought.

Well, maybe you should give writing a book a little more thought! You've definitely got a fan-base started, right here!:thumbsup:

mrslevite
09-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Nobody would want to listen to me ramble on in my heavy southern accent :rofl:It's been two years since I've been back home in Mississippi. I would love to hear a nice southern accent again!

Sharly
09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Bless your heart! :heart:

Dangles
09-26-2007, 06:11 PM
*raises hand* ooo ooo me, I'd like to hear a podcast by Mason :)

BinkyKat
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, maybe you should give writing a book a little more thought! You've definitely got a fan-base started, right here!:thumbsup:

We could call our selves "Masonites" :teehee:

Dangles
09-26-2007, 07:23 PM

:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
09-26-2007, 10:31 PM

:roflhard: Perish the thought!

MMario
09-27-2007, 10:28 AM
What - you don't want an "Order Loyal to Mason"?

You could have your own lodges and everything; secret handshakes, coded greetings. . .

cindycactus
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
What a great idea. I always wanted to be a masonite!!!:roflhard:

Sharly
09-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Could we wear funny hats? :lol:

BinkyKat
09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
What - you don't want an "Order Loyal to Mason"?

You could have your own lodges and everything; secret handshakes, coded greetings. . .

Heck, there's a Masonic Lodge just 2 blocks from my house. Right next to the Shriner's Lodge. :thumbsup:
Somebody HAS to make a button/badge we can put in our sigs to denote we are Masonites! and I mean NOW!:happydance:
I don't know how:shrug:

Knitting_Guy
09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
:roflhard:

losnana
09-27-2007, 10:36 PM
:shock: :roflhard:

I love your stories about the conversations you have in bars/restaurants etc, Mason. With all the stories we hear about what is going on in the world, these simple conversations with nice people kind of restore one's faith in humanity. :hug:

I agree. I always look forward to your posts, Mason.:yay:

rennfamily
09-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I justlove your posts too! A podcast would be wonderful!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/renfamily/siggy/m.gif

BinkyKat
09-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Get me this button NOW!!!
pleasepleaseplease :hug:

KnitClickChick
09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Mason, you're so cool! I love reading your posts - you have such a way with wording things. I would love to listen to a podcast.... I love Southern accents!! C'mon, do it!

thalia326
09-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Could we wear funny hats? :lol:

We could all decide on a pattern and make them ourselves!

PaperGirl
10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
L.O.O.M

Loyal Order Of Masonites.

kblue
10-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Well one thing's for sure, you've definately got a Fans here at KH. I love all the funny little comments you leave.

Knitting_Guy
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
L.O.O.M

Loyal Order Of Masonites.

Good thing my name doesn't start with an N. :rofl:

Dangles
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Good thing my name doesn't start with an N. :rofl:

:teehee:

I agree with Kblue. I always look forward to reading your threads and posts.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:31 AM
What a cool story! You made a picture in my head (or maybe Nyquil did). There are few things nicer than a good Southern accent.

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I wrote about this very subject on my blog: March 1

http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/2008/03/east-meets-west-via-knitting-lesson.html

And, I do think that knitting ties us together.. despite our varied differences.

willowangel
04-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I want to join, me me me! I'd totally buy the book and listen to the podcasts, and I could help run the Scottish chapter of LOOM ;-)