PDA

View Full Version : sweater pattern to fit Build a Bear size animals

ChrisM318
09-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any sweater pattern links for a build a bear size animal. My neice is totally into them and I would love to make something to fit her critters. Thanks for any help.

marykz
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
baby doll size patterns usually fit- not the 18 american girl doll patterns (the stuffed animals are fatter), but the ones for 16-18 inch baby dolls - the build-a-bears can vary greatly in size- we have a few around..... we have a kitty (not the hello kitty, but the one with the blue eyes) and her measurements are:
armpit-to-armpit 8 inches (close to 16 inches all the way around)
chin to belly button about 4 1/2 inches
top arm about 4 inches
underarm from pit to wrist about 3 inches
yoke/ across the shoulder is about 7 inches

our stuffed dog (white with brown patches) is slightly smaller, about 1/2 to 1 inch smaller on all measurements.

if you have a michael's near you, they sell knock offs of the bear clothes that you could use to judge sizes and measurements...

we have gotten 2 sweaters as gifts that fit the b-a-b animals and they were originally baby doll patterns. I've seen lots of cute ones at knittingpatterncentral (free) and
e-patternscentral (not free)

HTH!

Jints
09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
sweaters here, scattered amongst the dolls & teddy patterns.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/teddy_bears.php
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dolls_clothes.php
pattern generator. make one to measure.
http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/order_bear.html

sarahzknitty
10-06-2007, 02:53 PM
My 5 year old daughter is just sure her pink kitten build a bear needs a halloween costume and not just a sweater as the patterns we have found so far.
Has anyone seen anything other than sweaters for build a bears?
Any help would be great...don't have much time til Halloween.

marykz
10-06-2007, 07:22 PM
do you mean to knit? or do you sew at all? if you have a Michael's near by, they have tons of costumes sized for teddy bears/ stuffed animals, pretty inexpensive.

sarahzknitty
10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I was thinking knitting, but I may be able to talk her into sewing.
Our nearest Michael's is in Eugene...90 miles away. We live in the middle of no where. I guess I can always look at Michael's.com.
Thanks!

marykz
10-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I made a little simple circle skirt in a shiny fabric with an elastic waistband, then we made a crown, and the bear was a princess... I just wasn't sure if you sewed- not everyone does and I didn't want to assume...

we also took a rectangle piece of white fabric, and made a tunic: fold in half, cut a neck, sew up the sides leaving room for the arms- then she decorated with fabric markers.

someone at her school made paper masks for the bears- like paper plate masks for kids, but with the dessert size plates instead.

Samsam
10-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I say buy some fun fur..like 4 balls and free-form something funky!
One of her animals could be a rockstar for halloween :)

HollyP
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
This idea isn't sewing or knitting but I just wrapped a bear in toilet paper as a mummy for my mom. It turned out really cute. Not to mention it was all made from stuff I had around the house.
If you(or she) really want to go with knitting you could knit the bear a cape pretty easily. It could be super kitty! Or a kitten sized poncho, head band, and long hair it could be a hippie. Or make little leg and wrist warmers and a head band - it could be a 80's workout kitty

Now I am thinking about knitting something for my bear for Halloween :teehee:.

Lady Violet
10-07-2007, 11:55 AM
IK has a really cute sweater for 18" dolls as a free holiday pattern (http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/christmas_holiday/250-1.html). it doesn't say if it's for baby dolls or american girl-like dolls, but in the picture it's shown on a bear so i think it will probably work. in fact, i'd like to make one myself!

sarahzknitty
10-07-2007, 01:00 PM
:woohoo:These are some great ideas. Now I can't decide what to do, but at least I know where to start.
After I'm done with my daughters bear, then my son will want one.
At least it will be a nice, fun challange. Any excuse to knit or create something new!
Thanks for the ideas!
I guess I've got to get knitting!