PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Anyone?

knittycat
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Hello all,

I was hoping to start a Champagne Leaf & Acorn Lace Shawl KAL. I'm working on x-mas gifts and this is the very first time I have ever decided to make Every gift I give and I could use the support. So if anyone is interested, please let me know. I want to get the yarn today. This is a free pattern and you can find the pattern at http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=250024. I think the pattern is also available in the anniversary issue of Vogue.

Thanks
Knittycat:woot:

stirsmommy
09-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I love the look of the wrap I am just not sure about the yarn as I am going to make it for my mom. Do you have any suggestions for a substitute?

knittycat
09-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure what yarn would work well as a substitute, but I was thinking of trying Sinfonia because it drapes well and the colors are so yummy. If I can't find a suitable yarn soon, then I will purchase the suggested yarn, as I am also making this one for my Mommy, and she is definitely worth the cost. Everyone else I'm knitting x-mas gifts for; I have found suitable patterns for the yarns that I have in my stash, but this one is very special, because I have never knitted for my mother, so I really want it to look beautiful and the yarn should reflect the work I plan to put into this one. Well I'll keep you posted on the yarn substitution.

Knittycat :knitting:

knittycat
09-25-2007, 11:12 PM
On the elann.com site there is a section where you can search for yarn substitutions. You may want to look at patterns worked up using Berroco's "Cotton Twist " yarn. I like the way the yarn looks, but I still think I need something with a more dressy feel to it, but I'll keep looking.

Knittycat

stirsmommy
09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
That is what I am thinking. Dressy but not glitzy is best for my mom. This is my first knitting for her too. I want it to be soft and drapey and feel yummy! The pattern is gorgeous though.

stirsmommy
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Since it is listed as worsted weight it should be simple to substitute. I think I will check Webs to see what I can find. I like there prices and the service seems quick. Also since I have to get my sister's bag's yarn there I may get enough yarn for the discount which will mean yummier yarn for mom.

aprildavis99
09-26-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm in. I decided to use the elann yarn "Pegasus" for this shawl. I will be using the color Sierra. I figured it is an acorn pattern and a warm fall color would go nice. I don't know who this is for, but I can't wait to get started. :woot:

I just ordered the yarn.

knittycat
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks April,

I looked at the "Pegasus" yarn by elann and I really like it. I think I will order this one as well. It seems to drape very well and looks wonderful knitted up in the shawl I shall on the elann site. My sister is going to make the shawl for herself from the suggested yarn on the elann site. It seems "itchy" to me. My mother loves simple, yet elegant things, and while I know she will like the design of the shawl, I'm not so sure she would wear it often if I knitted it from the shinny, metallic yarn.

There weren't many colors to choose from. I may go with the Natural color, or even copy the color you ordered. Hope you don't mind. I'm so excited about this project. I hope some other people join in, but even if they don't, the three of us will have a ball :woot:. You have to excuse me; I just love creating things, especially for the ones I love. Well, I'm off to finish up some projects and maybe some house cleaning. Chat later...Knittycat:knitting:

stirsmommy
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I am thinking of going with Bristol Gallery King George for mine but honestly can't decide. Need to figure it out soon!

aprildavis99
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
We can do the same color. I don't mind. Great minds and all that. :teehee:

AprilT
09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi,
I'm pretty new to knitting and the forum, but, this pattern is so beautiful I want to try it. Is there still room for one more?

AprilT

stirsmommy
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
There is always room for more. I have joined but probably won't get started for a couple of weeks while I get a couple of things off of my needles and I have still to order yarn.

AprilT
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Great!
I ordered yarn from Elann and won't be able to start until it gets here. I ordered the Pegasus in French Lavendar, it looks like a good sub for the Champagne. I agree that the Champers looks a little scratchy.
I guess I'm making the shawl for myself, I'm the only one I know who uses them. :teehee:

stirsmommy
09-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Well I was thinking of Using King George but now I am thinking andean silk. I want to feel soft and luxurious and yet still be affordable since I realized I may need to do three.

aprildavis99
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Welcome AprilT. The French Lavender is very nice!:yay:

aprildavis99
09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Melissa, I think Andean Silk would be wonderful. It's so yummy.cloud9

stirsmommy
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Good I needed to hear that my choice woulld be good. I am being so wishy washy on this but now there it is decided. Andean silk in some color. One in cranberry, one in pitch and the other in cream. I think....

AprilT
09-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow, Melissa, the Andean Silk has some pretty colors. I love the cranberry. Very lucious. :)
AprilT

knittycat
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Ladies,

My sister and I both got our yarn yesterday. My sister got the suggested yarn and I got the Pegasus Natural color. Now that I have touched the suggested Champagne yarn, it's not so bad. Has anyone else got their yarn for this project? Well I'm off to cast on now. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Knittycat:knitting:

aprildavis99
09-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes! I got my Pegasus "Sierra" yesterday evening. :woohoo: It's so pretty. I started trying to swatch the shawl pattern. The recommended 10 1/2 needles were too big. I have gone down to a 10 and it seems to be much better. The Pegasus yarn is nice. I like the feel of it. cloud9 I can't wait until I actually get to the shawl. I hate swatching. :ick:

knittycat
09-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Okay,

I had to take a brake from knitting my shawl and work on the socks I'm knitting for dear old Dad. I hate to swatch too and I knit tight when I first start (bad habits die hard). I don't like sagging holes at the start of my work, so I guess I compensate by knitting too tight. I tried twice and I still have yet to get the correct gauge. After I gather my composure, I will start again. I'm very anxious to see the shawl take shape, so I may be at this the rest of the evening. I simple refuse to sleep until I get a few pattern repeats done.

Knittycat

knittycat
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
April,

How's it going with the Pegasus on size 9 needle? I'm having second thoughts about my yarn choice. I'm using size 9 needles too with Pegasus yarn. I'll keep working on the shawl later today and make my decision on whether or not I will switch yarn with my sis, since she is making the shawl for herself and mine is a gift. She did a swatch last night that came out perfect on the 10 1/2 needle with the Champagne yarn. It wasn't as itchy as I thought it would be, but it's definitely not as yummy as silk either, yet it has a glamour and sophisticated look to it in this particular pattern.
Anxiously awaiting your thoughts on the Pegasus yarn.

stirsmommy
10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I just placed my order for the Andean Silk. It should be here in 10 days or so since I got free shipping and that takes forever.

aprildavis99
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Knittycat,
I actually got gauge on size 10 needles. I really like Pegasus, except that the strands split a little bit, but I fixed that problem by rewinding the skein into my own center pull ball. I had read somewhere that sometimes the way yarn pulls out of a skein is opposite of how it was stranded and causes it to split. It's better now and I like how Pegasus feels. Of course I don't have Champagne to compare it with. See if your sis will let you borrow a skein of hers and to a few rows with that and then compare. It's great that she would be willing to switch with you.

aprildavis99
10-01-2007, 05:03 PM
My biggest problem with this shawl, though, is that it requires my full concentration and my kiddies are suddenly wanting to be all up in my face. Would it be wrong to lock them in the closet until I'm finished....:aww:?

It's not a pattern that I can just look at the row and just do it. I have to keep looking back...I don't know if it's a degree of difficulty problem or a senility problem:shrug:

AprilT
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
My yarn came in today. I have company tonight, but, I'll start swatching tomorrow. I really like the color, showed it around work today and everyone thought it would be really pretty knitted in the pattern. We all love purple and blue. :inlove:

My camera's a little sick right now, but, I hope to get pictures a I go.
AprilT

D
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
That is lovely!! Eep, so tempted. Too... many.. projects. I need to find my needles, too. Maybe I have something in my stash I can use.. hmmm

aprildavis99
10-03-2007, 05:37 PM
AprilT, hows your swatching going? Curious about what you think about your yarn.

Knittycat, did you try the champagne yarn from your sister? is there a big difference in how it knits up?

Do join us, D!!

knittycat
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Hello Ladies,

I've got the blues about my shawl. First I know what you mean April, about how the Pegasus splits. Great idea about rewinding it. I thought I was doing well with the size 9 needle, but when I got to the second row I found that I had picked up an extra stitch. I figured it was when I YO at the start of the row, so I ripped it and started again and again and still I had an extra stitch and my yarn was starting to look not so new. I think I started over about four times before I finally just threw my hands up. I find it hard to YO at the start of a row. I tried to imagine that there was a stitch there and went through the YO motion as if to knit, but I still came up wrong on the next row. I told you all I need the support :shrug:.

I'm glad to hear that your shawl is working so well April. I think I will start over again to night, because I really had my heart set on giving my mother this particular shawl. I fell in love the moment I saw the pattern, so I'm really bothered that I'm having such a hard time with it. It's such a beautiful shawl, and I thought it was rather easy to work, but not so far. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

One good bit of news is that I started designing my own shawl, using this one as my inspiration, just in case this does not go so well. The one I designed is just about finished and it looks nice. This is after all October and I still have a few more gifts to make, and this one has taken up quite a bit of my time, and I also have two little ones to tend to during the day, so my knitting/crocheting is limited to nap time and bed time.

And yes I did get a chance to swatch using my sister's yarn, and it was like "butter" the way the stitches just fell in place, but I still not love the yarn so much. It's just not my style or my motherís, and since were so much alike I don't think I can do the shawl in the champagne after all, so my sis will get to keep her yarn.

AprilT
10-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry, had company last night also, so I didn't get started on the swatch until tonight. The Pegasus is kind of splitty, but, very pretty.
Maybe it's because I'm a newbie (just started knitting the first of this year), but, I'm kinda whiney about swatching. If it isn't straight stockinette I want to grumble and skip the whole "be sure to check gauge" part, LOL!
However, I shall just suck it up and swatch like a grownup:knitting:
Have to admit, my eyes opened wide at the "provisional" cast on part. I have perused Amy's video, though, and I think I can handle it :). I enjoy learning new knitting techniques almost more than I do finishing a project.

I do see where the yarn might get frazzled looking if you have to frog much, though. Well, off to my swatching.

AprilT

AprilT
10-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Maybe this is a sick wish, D, but I can't wait until I have a big enough stash to be able to casually paw through my haul when I find a project that interests me, and find the perfect yarn, LOL!

AprilT

aprildavis99
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
So how is everone doing on their shawls? Sadly, I have been procrastinating. I started a couple of baby blankets and still working on my scarf and socks. I want to be able to concentrate on this shawl because this pattern will require me to actually pay attention to it and not just knit mindlessly. Probably by the end of the week, I will get back to it. :thumbsup:

AprilT
10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Well, I haven't got past the first row. First I had all this company that seemed to come out of nowhere, then I had a few minor "got-to-do"s around the house, and the weekend was over, LOL!

I do know this, I can't knit this without paying close attention to what I'm doing. Even talking to someone got me in a snarl. However, I shall perservere and get with my knitting tonight. I still think it's a lovely pattern, and it's probably not as difficult as I think. I have a feeling that when I'm finished with it, I'll have enjoyed my experience. :)

AprilT

AprilT
10-18-2007, 06:56 PM
LOL!

Ok, first the whine. I had about 20 rows completed and felt lucky I had gotten that far. I was feeling very clumsy and inexperienced, but, I was determined. Then, I don't know what happened, but a needle slipped out and I lost about half a row of stitches. I almost cried. I told myself this pattern was just too hard and the yarn was too finicky for me to handle. I almost balled it up and put it away.
:frog:
Instead I decided to try one more time. I frogged down to the garter border and started over. It came to me smooth as glass. Before I stopped that night I had done about 30 rows, in half the time it took me to do the original 20. And it looked wa-a-a-y better than my first effort.
:)
I haven't been able to knit on it every night, but, I'm on row 49 and I actually have 2 acorns! cloud9

I'm going to be slow, but, I am going to finish it. And I don't care what it looks like, I just feel good about finally getting what the pattern was all about! But, if possible, I'll post a picture after I block it, LOL!

How is everyone else doing? Anybody else having trouble?

AprilT

stirsmommy
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I really need to cast on but I also need to get these clogs done. The shawls are actually my carrot. I am so over the clogs already. I am on the third one and if I just buckle down on it tonight I should finish it. Then tomorrow maybe I can get the last one done. Then I will only be an entire week behind where I thought I would be. Sadly I am bored with the clogs. Ok so I wanted to do something else after I finished my dads but I know if I cast on one more things they will never get done. I already have five projects on needles. So hopefully I can cast on Saturday and I will try to have a decent showing by the end of next week.

stirsmommy
10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Ok I am casting on today. Provisional caston is not my favorite but it must be done. How is everyone finding that it is going? Is it an easy knit or a pita. Boy am I hoping for easy!

aprildavis99
10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm still procrastinating. I have 2 repeats done and that's it. I have been dealing with sick kids :ick: and cleaing my house ( I do Fall cleaning instead of Spring :roll:) so I haven't touched it for a while. Not to mention the couple of baby blankets I'm still working on....verrrrrry slowly:violin:

I find that I have to concentrate on it, so I just can't sit down and knit while doing anything else. I need a time out just to knit:teehee:

Hope you enjoy it. :knitting:

stirsmommy
10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Ok now that I have learned a hard lesson I will be using a lifelline in tomorrow's knitting. I had to frog 15 rows back to the very beginning.:hair: Oh well live and learn, rightr?

aprildavis99
10-24-2007, 01:27 AM
:shock: Sorry, I hope things get better.:pray:

AprilT
11-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Hey, Everyone! How is it going? It's weird, but, as soon as I decided to do this my job and family started to go slightly haywire, LOL! However, I have gotten about halfway (2 1/2 repeats) and I've really gotten the rhythm of the pattern.
I will say, next time I do this pattern (and there will be a next time!) I will use a more pattern-friendly yarn. This Pegasus is lovely, but, the rayon part is very tempermental.
Although I'm sure there are more mistakes than I can see (Thank Goodness), I have really learned a lot tackling this project. One thing I learned is the lifeline is definitely our friend! I've been using one every ten rows since I had to frog almost to the beginning.
I have been breaking to finish up the couple of Christmas gifts I wanted to give this year. Just little things, for special people. Also, my sister decided she wanted to learn how to knit! I couldn't turn her down, a knitting buddy just down the road? Heaven!
Later, AprilT

stirsmommy
11-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I am only to row 37 of the first report but have wanted to just chuck it several times. Finally the night before last I finally began to get it. That is good because I really need to do thirty rows a day on it. I have two to get done by Christmas. Not to mention a dozen other things!

AprilT
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
is if it was for next Christmas! It's coming along great, but, life has just been throwing itself in my way. We just got our own LYS a couple of months ago and I signed up for the Nov sock class (surely I'd be finished with my beautiful wrap by then). Well, class time rolls around and I'm only on row ? of my 3rd? repeat, so the wrap goes in the bag and I get into "sock knitting" mode. Never figured I'd have homework, lol! I needed to have the 6" of cuff done before the next session--THE HEEL. My LYS owner is very sweet and helpful. If I showed up with 2 rows she would say "Welcome and work at your own pace", but, I wanted to be ready for the next part. Also, the socks are supposed to be a Christmas present--this Christmas.
Well, my 6" for my socks is done and I'm back on this really lovely (I get so many compliments whenever I knit on it in public) wrap. It's kind of a relief after the tiny DPNs for the socks. The best part is all of it is knitting!
AprilT