PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH TOP OF HAT!!!

critterknitter
09-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I just finished my first hat and I am disappointed with how the top looks. It has kind of a "flower-like" bunching at the top rather than just a smooth curve over the crown. Does this mean that when I started to shape the crown that I decreased too many stitches too quickly or just the opposite?

Here is what I did: K2tog every 3 stitches, then 1 round even, then decrease every other stitch, then 1 round even. Lastly, I knit2 together all the way around and then 1 round even. I gathered up the remaining stitihes (approx 12-14)and tied it off. What went wrong? Can anyone help?

Jan in CA
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Here is what I did: K2tog every 3 stitches, then 1 round even, then decrease every other stitch, then 1 round even. Lastly, I knit2 together all the way around and then 1 round even. I gathered up the remaining stitihes (approx 12-14)and tied it off. What went wrong? Can anyone help?

Yes, it's because you decreased too quickly. If you decrease too slowly you end up with a pointier top like a stocking cap sorta. How many you cast on will determine the decrease rate.

Here's some websites that will help you understand and determine the decrease rate.
http://tinyurl.com/ywwqbo
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

Mulderknitter
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I oopsed up the top of a hat once. Just put a pompom on it. :yay:

msoebel
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Easy way to decrease in hat:

Start 1 1/2" before the top of the hat.

1. Knit, purl or whatever for 5 stitches, then K2tog . Continue in this manner til end of row.
2. 1 round even.
3. Knit, purl or whatever for 4 stitches, then K2Tog. Continue in this manner til end of row.
4. 1 round even.
5. Knit, purl or whatever for 3 stitches, then K2tog.
Continue in this manner til end of row.
6. 1 round even.
7. Knit, purl or whatever for 2 stitches, then K2tog.
8. 1 round even.
9. Knit, purl or whatever 1 stitch, then K2tog.
10. 1 round even.

It's an easy formula for hat decreases, and it creates a lovely decrease pattern.

Misty

marsha5200
09-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I am knitting my first baby hat and have completed most of the decreases on a #5 circ. needle. How do I get the remaining stitches onto DP needles or another circ. to complete the top of the hat? It is at the pointe where I can't go any further.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Marsha

Ingrid
09-29-2007, 11:36 AM
You can just knit them onto the dpns, or slip them. Whichever is easier.