PDA

View Full Version : SAHM?

mom232
09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Anyone else a SAHM [Stay at home mom]? or WAHM [Work at home mom]?

marykz
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
WAHM here- 60-ish hours every 2 weeks...office gave me a workstation, and I go in about once every 2 weeks. My kid is in kindergarten... :) how about you?

(and SAHM are working just as hard as WAHM- don't let anyone ever tell you differently!! I don't know who perpetuates these ideas that being home to parent is "easy street")

ctmax
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm a SAHM to a 7,5, and 2 year old. Couldn't imagine going back to work, and the thought of it make me :sad:

evos524
09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm a SAHM and have been for almost 3 years. I'll be a WAHM after the first of the year (hopefully), but for now my hands are full! LOL I have 2 girls, ages 3 years and 14 months. Our 3rd baby girl is due in a few weeks. DD1 just started Pre-K this year, which has been an adventure! I looove being a SAHM! The only reason I'm going to start working in a few months is to stash money for some extra things DH and I would like to do...hopefully a short kid-free vacation when he comes home for R&R next year! LOL :woot: We love our girls to death, but sometimes you just need some "Mommy & Daddy" time!

stirsmommy
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I am a sahm homeschooling mom. I do babysit as I get asked and would love to do more. My daughter wants to make us shirts that say will work for yarn. My kids are 17 11 and seven.

mom232
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I have a 4 y/o DD and a 3 month old DS. I'm a SAHM but I do own a Photography biz that I'm just starting. :)

marykz- That's nice of your office to do for you. :)

ctmax-I feel the same although I love having my photog biz.

Evos524- Congrats on the upcoming birth of your baby girl!

Stirsmommy- That is so cute about the shirts!

CindyS
09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Me! I've been home since my first child was born. My kids are 8 and 6, both in school now and I'm finally getting my act together to try and do better keeping house. I hate it, but it's gotta get done and I'm the one who's here to do it! LOL! Last year I spent waaaay too much time on the computer doing digital scrapbooking and graphic design. My DH is much happier now that he comes home to a clean home, homecooked meals, and updates on the progress of my latest knitting project. I still scrapbook, just not as much as I used to. The computer can be so addicting, especially when you're home alone for the better part of the day. It feels like human contact. I'm hoping this year to get out more and make some real-life friends to complement my hordes of online friends.

mom232
09-25-2007, 10:05 PM
The computer can be so addicting, especially when you're home alone for the better part of the day. It feels like human contact. I'm hoping this year to get out more and make some real-life friends to complement my hordes of online friends.

I know what you mean! That's how I feel.

auburnchick
09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I was a SAHM for eight years, and I loved every minute of it. I currently work between 25 and 30 hours a week, which allows me to be home with my children when they get out of school. I loved being home though. My house is in terrible shape these days (although I hated to clean even when I was home full-time).

Y'all enjoy yourselves. Even on the days when you feel like passing out on the floor with exhaustion (a feeling I remember well).

:hug:

IBAmyB
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I am a childless but married working woman...

I have always wanted to be a SAHM. I am going to be leaving my job when DH gets home from Iraq in 6 weeks. I like my job, but we don't *need* me to work finanical wise and after DH has been away for 15 months I want to be able to spend time with him (he gets extra time off after getting home from deployment) and I don't have any vacation right now and my bosses won't let me take a leave of abscence... so SAHW (stay-at-home-wife) for me for a while. Plus, we are going to start trying again to have a baby and I hope that I can be a SAHM.

My mom would have like to been a SAHM, but my dad was starting his own business from the time I was little and she had to work to help pay the bills. Now she works for him about 30 hours a week. :)

jeanius80
09-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm a SAHM to a 7,5, and 2 year old. Couldn't imagine going back to work, and the thought of it make me :sad:

thats how i feel about going to work! my dd is 17.5 months old. i went back to work when she was 3 months and quit when she was 6mo. it was too much for me. and i love being home!

i am trying to be a wahm by dyeing and selling yarn at etsy.. we'll see how it goes!

msmelody
09-26-2007, 02:53 AM
I love my 2 1/2 and 16 month-old, but I cannot wait to get out of school and go to work. I cook, clean, and take care of the children, but I do not feel like I am making a worthy contribution to our family. Although, before becoming a SAHM, I never worked this hard even on the 60 and 70 hour work weeks. This is the hardest job you will ever completely love.

misstialouise
09-26-2007, 03:07 AM
SAHM mum here. Bub is almost 1, so still fairly new at it. LOL.. still working out how to look after him, do the housework and knit all in one day.. LOL...

Might look at doing 1 day a week at my LYS if they'll have me next year. :D

DQ
09-26-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm a SAHM. I don't think I'm very good at it though, especially the housework side :oops:

zkimom
09-26-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm a SAHM/WAHM homeschooling mom. My kids are 9 and almost 13. I'm only homeschooling my 13 yo for right now.

We have 2 businesses to run, one is a communications company that we started in 1989 and the other is a photo gallery that we just started over the summer. So really, I have a hand in both.

My DH travels all over the world for the communications company almost 200 days a year so along with everything else, I get to be the sole parent most of the time of the time.

Sometimes I fantasize about just having a job in a yarn store.

Gotta go get the kids ready for the day!

Best,
Susan

blueeyes28
09-26-2007, 07:08 AM
I sahm too and although I don't get paid there is plenty of work involved:wink: I also babysit for a little girl 4 days a week just before school and walk a neighbors dogs twice a day for a little extra cash. I don't plan on going back to work untill my youngest is in school.

Silver
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I've been a SAHM for 16 years. Although I'm a freelance graphic artist, so I do work from time to time, and a knitting teacher, but that's only for 4-8 hours a month. So I'm mostly a SAHM. I love being a mom and homemaker, that is my #1 job. :thumbsup:

mrslevite
09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
WAHM here. I quit teaching elementary special education 2 years ago due to chronic pain. I took up photography about a year ago and have slowly started earning a small but steady income from stock photography. (you can learn a little more about stock photography on the "About" page of my website: http://teresasdesk.com , and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.) I am also trying to get a portrait/wedding/event photography business off the ground. I have a wedding this weekend and am too excited! :mrgreen:

Mariblue
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm a stay at home homeschooling mom. My kids are 7 1/2 and 4 1/2. I love it.

yarnfreak
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
SAHM over here. I've got a 15 yo, 3 yo, 2 yo, and a two week old. I'm not sure I have the brain cells to work outside the home right now! LOL I love being at home with the kiddos. (of course, I have a hubby that insists on datenight at least twice a month to keep me sane)

Jens
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm a sahm. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I don't know how people work take care of kids and clean house...There's no way I'd even attempt it. I stay home and the laundry is NEVER done. The house stayes clean the main part anyway. I try to finish my house work in the mornings then I get the rest of the day to do what I want. But laundry I could put off for weeks! Hate it with a passion.

Dangles
09-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Ladies :waving:

I am a SAHM as well, DD is 3 and DS is 13 mths. Being a SAHM can be rewarding yet challenging at the above ages, but I know that it will get easier in a way. Every age has it's challenges.

As for laundry, it's a never ending process seems like I just did five loads the other day, wait it was! You go return the basket to it's location and see a pile of dirty clothes that awaits your arrival.

Housework, can only get done at night when the kids are sleeping. DD doesn't do naps anymore, DS has one a day only, due to the fact big sis is rather noisy playing. Must think of quiet time for her. It's better now, that she does attend preschool twice a week for about 2.5 hrs. *hopes it will mellow her busy kid out*

DH told me a co worker said, "Those ladies with kids who hire nannies and go to work are cop outs."

My hats of to all of you ladies who stay at home with your children. :hug: We've got the toughest job in the world.

Ronda
09-27-2007, 11:47 AM
WAHM here. It was difficult when the kids were younger, but it's getting easier. Sometimes it's LONELY though.

tootie44
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I have been a SAHM since my son got sick at 18 months (about 2.5 years ago). Before that I was a HS teacher, and I probably still would be if he had stayed healthy. I think working out of the house is a lot easier!

Dangles
09-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Aww, tootie :hug: I just read his story. He's a beautiful boy.

I have been a SAHM since my son got sick at 18 months (about 2.5 years ago). Before that I was a HS teacher, and I probably still would be if he had stayed healthy. I think working out of the house is a lot easier!

brightspot
10-02-2007, 05:15 AM
I have been a SAHM since my son was born a 17 years ago. My kids are 17, 15, and 13. I worked for the first time this summer. I admit that it was long hours, but I got a good laugh when my oldest dd told me what my youngest did that Sunday. When my 13 yr old dd's sunday school teacher asked them this summer what major changes there were in their lives my dd said that mom was working. She told the teacher that she doesn't hardly see me, that she watches a lot of TV and eats a lot of TV dinners. :noway:

I started laughing so hard, but at the same time thought it was sad that she thought that. I told her "did you think to tell the teacher that you watch tv because you want to and you eat TV dinners because you are too lazy to make lunch and you are paid to cook dinner every night?" I had only bought the TV dinners because they were 10 for $5. I hadn't bought them in years so they were a novelty for her. Although we did eat some odd dinners this summer they weren't TV dinners, lol. She was also seeing me more because since she is a young teenager she spends a lot of time in her room. When I was working I was working sort of a split shift and would come home for a few hours in the afternoon. She always left her room to spend time with me while I was home. Thus I saw her more than I usually do,:roflhard:.

I have to admit though that I am glad the season is over and after this weekend our lives will go back to normal. Homeschooling looks relaxing after the summer I have had, lol. I am going to enjoy this winter!!

Yarnlady
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I've been pretty much a SAHM since 1981 and now am a SAHGM living with my daughter and taking care of her kids. ETA: I homeschooled my kids, and did a year of homeschooling for one of my grandkids.

leedsfan
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I am a SAHM.

jcmom
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm a SAHM and homeschool two teenagers that are the best. I'm thankful I won't look back when I'm old and regret I didn't spend more time with my children. No, hubby doesn't make lot's o money. We just do without at times. No cell phone, cable or satellite tv, etc. We just decided what our priorities were and it works for us. I'm blessed. ;)

kblue
10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm a SAHM with a 5yr old DS and a 3 (soon to be 4) yr old DD....humm I should probably add my 25 (soon to be 26) yr old DH :teehee:. He does have those child like tendancies....:think:

ChroniclesofYarnia
10-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Another SAHM/Homeschooler here! :) I also knit for a couple places, but never have deadlines so it doesn't interfere if life gets busy.

Dangles
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
....humm I should probably add my 25 (soon to be 26) yr old DH :teehee:. He does have those child like tendancies....:think:

:teehee: Sounds like my DH at times, it seems like most DH's are like that. lol.

bobi1218
10-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Another SAHM here! I've been home with my 2 kids (age 3 and 16m) since DD was born 16 months ago. I worked after my son was born - I'll take staying at home any day over working. Its hard, yes, but terrific at the same time. Even after days like today, when I was ready to put my kids out with the trash :lol:

cookworm
10-03-2007, 08:21 AM
SAHM here :waving:--one son and two daughters. I agree with msmelody...it is the hardest job you will ever completely love. I was a working mom outside of the home when my oldest was a baby but my heart was always at home. I'm with DQ, though--not very good on the housework side, but I keep trying!