PDA

View Full Version : Silver's Palindrome Scarf, SWS, and Blocking

mrslevite
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm nearing the end and am wondering if I need to block this scarf (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm)? It's for a Christmas gift for my almost 19 yo daughter and I really don't know if it will end up in the bottom of her closet or worn every day. You just never know with her. What I do know is that it won't get a lot of care either way.

So . . . do I need to block this scarf made with SWS? Or would it be a waste of time? The scarf look pretty good like it is.

Also, I keep going back to the SWS (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=sws&SPP=999)natural pink and the geranium (for me!). Does anyone have suggestions for a different scarf or hooded scarf pattern that would knit up nicely with either of those colors?

suzeeq
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
SWS is great for entrelac scarves. Works well for a mini clapotis scarf too. As for blocking it, depends on why you want to, how it looks now. If you want to even out the sts, then wetting and laying out flat to dry should even them out.

bip
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
That scarf is AWESOME. I've seen a lot of cabled scarves lately, but I am a stickler about the fronts and backs of scarves being presentable. I MUST have that scarf! (and the impossibly long project list gets impossibly longer!)

brendajos
09-26-2007, 05:59 PM
if someone hasn't already done it (or you can actually go to my ravelry page if you are on there yet...name's the same) I will post pics of my Danica (from knitty) scarves done in the SWS yarns. They look awesome with way less work involved than there is with all the Danica color changes. They magically seem to fall almost perfect with SWS.

As far as blocking goes, that is completely preference. I rarely block scarves unless they are for a gift. I can say that my danica went from about 4 inches wide to about 8 inches wide when i blocked it and it is way longer than it would seem without the blocking. HOWEVER, I really do like the unblocked look of that scarf too so it is really all just preference.

You can call me Brenda No Help today :teehee:

Silver
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I didn't block mine. I thought it looked just fine and since it's a scarf, the size doesn't matter. :)

mrslevite
09-26-2007, 10:41 PM
I didn't block mine. I thought it looked just fine and since it's a scarf, the size doesn't matter. :)
Thanks! That's what I thought, too. But since this is the first time to use this yarn and this pattern, I really wasn't sure what to do.

brendajos
09-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Well because I promised I would post it and because the SWS in the danica makes me giddy...lol. The first one, though, is the danica before it is blocked and of course the other is before prefabulous fringe. :teehee:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/0618071238.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/scarf2.jpg

Silver
09-27-2007, 07:20 AM
That's gorgeous Brenda!!

mrslevite
09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Brenda, it's beautiful! I love the way the colors work with this pattern. :)

Songbirdy
09-27-2007, 10:01 AM
:cheering::cheering::cheering:

Wow! Oh my! Suddenly... I have more 'envy' issues :rofl:

That is fantastic aaaand... no end weaving issues!

aprildavis99
09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Brenda, that's sooooo gorgeous!!1cloud9

mrslevite
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
This is what I've decided on - for now anyway. It's SWS Natural Geranium, and the stitch is the Brioche stitch, 30 stitches wide on size 10 needles. I'm tempted to rip it out and start over cause I see a couple of places where I've laid it down and picked it up again and the stitches aren't even. But I think that's just the way I'm going to be knitting for the next few weeks at least (got photography projects I'm working on now) and maybe forever. So there's not much point in taking this out and hoping for better. I'll just remember that the uneven stitches give it character.

I'm wondering if I should pick a solid color that matches and put a fringe on it when I'm finished. What do you think?

wandersfar
09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
That's some beautiful entrelac there. Love the color variegation.

aprildavis99
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Love that color.:muah: