PDA

View Full Version : We had to stop feeding the birds...

Jan in CA
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
due to this guy and his friends. Self explanatory I think. :doh:

stitchwitch
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
:roflhard: He looks busted!

sheknits
09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
We have the same problem in our (tiny) yard in SF. I was HORRIFIED when I saw a rat sauntering around in the middle of the day. Freaked out and called the pest guy, who says there is a colony (!!!!!!) of rats living in an old stone wall at the bottom of our garden.

Jan, I'll be interested to know how you get rid of your unwanted visitors. I have two kids and a very curious puppy, so am scared of using poison, but I WILL NOT HAVE RATS! (and that's final) :tap:

stitchwitch
09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
"COLONY"? :oo::shock::out:

Jan in CA
09-27-2007, 06:02 PM
We have a problem with the neighbors leaving out dog food which attracts them as well as the bird seed. Best thing you can do is not have any food around outdoors.

I was very unhappy when I first found out we had a few around. We had some kind of vine growing on our wall and we could here them scurrying around in it at night. :shock: After DH took down the vine we didn't see or hear them till we fed the birds. DH put out a trap and caught one, but that's it. I think they're pretty smart and I'm not sure you can do anything to rid yourself of them entirely. :shrug: I told DH if he wants to set traps go ahead, but put them in the bushes so I don't have to see them.

Limey
09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Ooooohhhhh! Aaaaaagh! Horrors!!!

:passedout:

It's a good job I always keep the smelling salts nearby when I come to KH - never know what's going to jump out at you... can take years off you, this place ...

Krystal
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
aww he's cute!

:inlove:

letah75
09-27-2007, 06:27 PM
My friend had a rats nest in her car engine.

MellieThePooh
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
We had some sort of varmint chew our spark plug wires on honeymoon in New Mexico. We thought it was rabbit-now I'm wondering if it was rats!

stitchwitch
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm sure there's probably a colony somewhere around me. My neighbors have fruit trees and the neighbor next to me has the set for Survivor in his backyard corner. My husband had to tell him not to throw his old carpet in the corner of his yard because we didn't want rats. I haven't seen any but then again I'm not out lurking around in the backyard after dark. Maybe I should. I know we have an armadillo and a possum and some racoons it only makes sense that ratus ratus would be there too.

Ingrid
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
*Shiver* Rats are one thing I can't stand. Some people around here feel that squirrels are just rats with bushy tails, but I'll take them, anyday.

Mulderknitter
09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
*ugh.. almost vomits*
I have squirrels, a lot of them. I hate them. they have effectively ruined any chance of me having a bird feeder of ANY FREAKING KIND even the squirrel proof ones. You just reminded me of how much I hate squirmy little critters

psammeadred
09-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Personally, rats don't bother me. I think they're cute. But one way to get rid of them, I've heard, is to put mothballs around your perimeter. (This may drive away birds as well, though.) You might also call your local animal control to see if they have live animal traps.

bailsmom
09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
aww he's cute!

:inlove:

I thought the same thing! But he's not in my backyard, so of course I'm going to think that!!

Sorry you've got pests. :pout:

debinoz
09-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I've had those things in my old house. We lived right next door to an old feed store. You could just see them running in and out of the old grain storage bins.

AnnaT
09-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Jan, I understand why you had to stop feeding the birds (!) but at the same time, that guy is pretty cute. That's a good wildlife picture!