PDA

View Full Version : Secret santa anyone???

Mulderknitter
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I know we've done all sorts of secret themes, but I have yet to see a secret santa???
I have to admit, I SOOO cannot be the leader or coordinate this, but I thought I would put it out as an idea. At work we just make sure that everyone that signs up has a partner. I am sure that some of you wonderful theme swappers could figure this all out.
What do you all think?

Jackie Lim
09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds good to me. I m IN.

anyone else ??

momwolf
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm in http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_1.gif making a list already

Sunny_Singer
09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I would love to join this, but will admit I am not quite sure how these work in a group like this.

Pandora
09-28-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm interested, but I'd be a little nervous--I don't know how to make things in the round yet, so my contribution might be a little boring. Anybody with an idea of what to send?

LauraD
09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I may be in...I am not sure if I have time to knit something (lots of Christmas projects) BUT if it's like the theme swap where we purchase the materials for a project and send it all to our teased and tortured partener...I can TOTALLY rationalize that:-)

astonh
09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm with Laura D. I've got way too many knitting projects going on right now for my own purposes and being a slow knitter, well, either my partner or my family would end up lacking come the holidays. LOL. Materials and the like, however, I could see enjoying again!

Additionally, on another thread, we've been discussing a stitch marker exchange. Any interest in something of that sort from you guys?

knitncook
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
What about a color theme swap with materials? People could list a color or color family (Aqua or Purples or Rainbow) and that could be the theme. We are all so busy at this time of the year that making one more thing might be yard. My best friend's rule on presents is "Materials and supplies go much further than finished goods." You want to make her happy? Give her a pound of glass rods or gouache paints.

Mulderknitter
09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I had been thinking the suprise theme swap type of thing, not making stuff. Gosh:passedout:that would kill me this time of year! I just thought it would be fun to have someone to buy for for xmas or get something fun in the mail. Not too extravagent or anything, $ tight for everyone at xmas! Maybe we could do the color theme thing, I know everyone has a favorite color (or 2):muah:

astonh
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
So... we wanna do this? I like the idea of doing a color theme. I also think that, as we did for the Surprise Theme Swap, having budget categories is a WISE thing.

Now, for a secret santa swap, can we arrange to have the UPS man deliver our packages wearing a santa suit? Hee hee.

Anyone want to coordinate this swap? I would be more than willing to do so, if there isn't someone else that wants to take the reins. Just let me know! I can have the questionaire out pdq and we can start taking names for the swap.

Mulderknitter
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey Astonh! If you want to take the "reins" ha ha feel free! I have never coordinated one of these things, but if you want help or such let me know.
I like the idea of a price category thing. I wish I could get the UPS man to wear a santa suit. Then I would know he was coming with MY goodies!:yay:

LauraD
09-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Well as far as it being a "secret santa" maybe we could decorate the box in CHristmas paper and such...stuff it in a stocking from Michael's or something cute like that.

Color theme would be good and budgets with the Holiday's coming up is a good idea too.

Maybe something with colored stitch markers, yarn and a set of needles? A free pattern?

astonh
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
"take the 'reins'"... you guys never cease to kill me. :roflhard:

Well, that said, I'd be honored to be your "coordinator" for this swap. Give me a couple day or so to get it together and I'll put out a post for the Secret Santa Swap!

oooohhhh...this is going to be FUN!

BostonBecca
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I think we had decided that NoBones was going to be running a swap around the holiday season and that she had some great ideas for it.

Just an FYI.

msmelody
09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I would love to get in on this, and long as no one minds sending things to an FPO AE box.

lelvsdgs
09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I am new to this but would love to participate! Count me in!

astonh
09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Couple of things...

1) I would love to get in on this, and long as no one minds sending things to an FPO AE box. I've done this before. I've found it to be no different than mailing to any other US domestic address, so I wouldn't worry about this.

2) Due to BostonBecca's comment that NoBones was already scheduled to do a holiday swap, I've sent NoBones an email about this as I don't want to step on anyone's toes and/or offend anyone. I'll let you know what I find out asap. Either way, there will be a swap (or more?) going on for the holidays!

stacyk9
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Count me in. I'm a sucker for Christmas!! Already got some presents bought!!

Mulderknitter
09-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Glad we found out about Nobones! I had no idea and now there will be the more the merrier, or more swaps the merrier!:muah:
I mail to FPO boxes fine, I wouldn't worry about that either.

knitting4-2girls
09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, this sounds like fun. I would like to do something like this, but someone would have to tell me how it works as this would be my first swap!!!!

Fun, fun, fun!!!

lelvsdgs
09-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, this sounds like fun. I would like to do something like this, but someone would have to tell me how it works as this would be my first swap!!!!

Fun, fun, fun!!!
Yes, me to!!! Newbie as well...:woohoo:

Brandy_m
09-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I'd like to play too, depending on all the details ($$ will be an issue with three little ones at this house)

:grin:

*KnitPixie*
09-29-2007, 05:39 PM
me too just let me know specifics:wink:

astonh
10-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I've not forgotten about this...just FYI. I've got, I think, everything ready to go BUT am waiting on some specific information from powers-that-be before we launch. Keep yer eyes peeled... SOMETHING will be coming soon on this front.

Sunny_Singer
10-02-2007, 02:16 PM
cool i'd love to join this - just be patient with us new ones who never joined KH swaps before plz :)

Carla1019
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Count me in on this one.

jeanius80
10-02-2007, 06:10 PM
:shifty: i might join this.. sorta depends on how current situation pans out :) is this a yarn swap? a theme swap? a stitch marker swap? i think i missed that info somewhere :??

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
We are kinda working out the details now, invites soon to come! Miss AstonH has graciously accepted the honor of teh details, but be assured, we have agreed that with the holiday season there will be price points to join on. The main focus is that everyone can play and get/give a present for the holiday season!:yay:

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
cool i'd love to join this - just be patient with us new ones who never joined KH swaps before plz :)
No worries, we love newbies! That's how we form lifetime knitaholics!:yay:

Samsam
10-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Yayy I want to do another swap!!

astonh
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
knitaholic.... LOL... YUP, that is EXACTLY what you guys have made me!!! I just wish I could knit as quickly as my desires for more things increases. My "wish list" is SOOOO long. My "FO" list is SOOOOOOO tiny.

I hope that we'll be able to announce the swap here before the end of the week! Again, just waiting on a few clarification points.

Everyone have a splendid day!

Oh, and as far as people who are new knitters and/or have never done a swap and might be concerned... DON'T BE!! I'm a new knitter as well and JUST finished my very first swap ever (thanks to Jeanius80!). As my partner hasn't received her package yet, I don't know "how I did" but I had SUCH a BLAST doing it... you will as well. I just know it!:thumbsup:

ChristinaKnits
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
count me in too....I love Christmas :D

Ronda
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I could be persuaded...

astonh
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
COMING SOON!!! Details for the swap! I'm working on them now and will, after getting the final okay, post them up! I'm SOOO excited about this swap already!

itsjustmeghan
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
let me know whats up when it's time. i'd definitely be interested in a stitch marker swap (can never have too many of those!). and i'm always up for a yarn swap.
just trying to avoid any more knitting for the holiday season. hehehe

auburnchick
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok...newbie to the swap thing too, but you've got my attention now. Your excitement is infectious.

Count me in, but you may have to hold my hand along the way.

:hug:

marykz
10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd be in too-

Zebragirlnz
10-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Ooh another swap! I am definitely in! I don't know what's more exciting - putting the package together or opening the package you receive!!

astonh
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
It's HERE!!!! To not offend as many, rather than calling this a "secret santa" swap, we have dubbed it the "Winter Wonderland Swap" (with some twists so it can be a little more holiday specific for those who wish it to be so).

Those on this thread who have expressed interest, I'll be sending you an email with the questionaire!

Just wanted to tell everyone to check it out though (in the Knit-Alongs section of the forum). I anticipate a hoot of a swap!

Kind regards,
Heather (aka astonh)