PDA

View Full Version : FOs!!!

redheadrachel
09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey everyone! I realize I've been pretty much absent from this board for quite some time, but I promise I've been lurking to see what you've all been up to.
Being back at school is so great, but I am getting to be really, really busy (and I have my junior piano recital at the end of this semester, so I'm going to have even less free time from now on) and so it's been difficult to find time for just chit chatting on the boards. Now that I'm posting some FOs, though, I'm realizing how much fun I have on here and how much I really miss it. So I'm going to try to be good and post the usual comments and kudos, because I miss you all so very much!
While I haven't had much extra time, I have been trying to get in a bit of knitting every time I get a chance, so I wanted to show you all what I've been up to.

My first venture into the world of crochet in SUCH a long time!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/031.jpg

I got the Happy Hooker book and found out that the way my grandma taught me how to crochet isn't exactly the way you're supposed to (we hold the hook differently, and wrap the yarn the opposite way) but I don't really want to change how I do it. I think it's a cool connection with my grandma, and I can still make really awesome stuff! Grandma "can't" read patterns, so she invents everything she makes. But I am reading patterns now but also incorporating the stuff she taught me, so I feel like I'm bridging the gap. Way cool :D

A simple pair of socks for my brother's girlfriend as a Christmas present. This is the first time I used KP yarn (Essential) and used contrasting color for ribbing, heel, and toe. This was a fun knit that I was able to do while studying from text books (that's the coolest thing I've learned EVER!) It's a great way to incorporate knitting into my day, and I feel super productive.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/030.jpg

And there's not a weird stain or dirty spot on the sock, it's just a weird shadow in the picture... *shrug*

And, my newly-developed, semi-unhealthy love affair with homemade stitch markers. I bought the stuff for them literally two days ago, and I've made almost 20! Yikes!(Thanks a lot, Art lady!!! lol)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/029.jpg

Let me know what you think, everyone! And catch me up on how you all are doing! Have a great day :)

Ingrid
09-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I've noticed your absence! Good to see you stop by. I figured that school was keeping you busy. :hug:

Your projects look great--I'm glad you can fit some knitting time in with your studies. It's good that you have your priorities straight!:teehee:

callmesusan
09-27-2007, 11:27 PM
aDORable purse! The socks are very cute and the stitch markers lovely. WTG!

chrislt8
09-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey Rachel! I was just thinking about you and assuming you must be really busy back a school - glad to see you are still knitting (and crocheting and stitch markering LOL)! Good to hear from you - projects look great :thumbsup: Aren't making the stitch markers addictive :roflhard:

Songbirdy
09-27-2007, 11:49 PM
The purse is :inlove:

The stitch markers are :cheering::cheering::cheering:

And the socks... are very cute... and you are very sweet to make them for your brother's girlfriend! I think that makes you one :star: of a sister!

Bravo!!!

kym
09-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Nice! Matching sox and purse, love it!

MerigoldinWA
09-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I've certainly noticed your absence. It looks like you have had a little time to craft. The purse is lovely. :muah: Crocheting like knitting can be done many ways, so stick to Grandma's way. ;) It looks like it works just fine.

Your brother should appreciate you making a gift for his girlfriend. And the stitch holders look like fun. I'm the most pleased to hear of your recent and best skill....knitting while studying at the same time. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Why not? Blind people can knit. :) Drop in as you are able.

mom232
09-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Beautiful FO's. I love love love the purse.

Duckling326
09-28-2007, 12:52 AM
heya there you are!!! Love your FO's especially the stitch markers!! I've been thinking of making some myself but haven't ventured that far yet. Great knitting/crocheting as usual!!!

KnittingNat
09-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Great FO's! And it's good to find some time for knitting during the day, isn't it?

nonny2t
09-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Everything looks great as usual Rachel! Good luck with the recital. Thomas has his in November.

Slim
09-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Welcome back, Rachel! You can see that you've been missed. I'm glad you're finding some time to knit despite the demands of school, and I'm really impressed with your crocheted purse! I've never mastered the art of crochet -- it's a total mystery to me. I think it's really cool that you learned from your grandmother and are carrying on her style of crochet. The purse is so sweet! Love the color. And your brother's girlfriend is going to love those socks. Great use of color. The stitch markers are gorgeous. I've got to make some of these! Where did you get your supplies?

I've been anxiously waiting for pictures of your argyle socks -- are they finished yet? Hope things are going well at school.

dustinac
09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Welcome back :happydance:!! I was wondering about you as well...

I can't see the pictures... I just get red xs... tried right clicking and show picture...still won't show up for me...:verysad:

PurlyGyrl
09-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Beautiful items! :yay:I especially love the socks--contrasting color is great:thumbsup:

I have the same book and I hold my needle differently too. Do what comes natural to you!

BTW: I notice you go to school in Tennessee--I'm in Tennessee too! :waving:

Mayday
09-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Your crochet purse is really adoreable. I have those same handles on my cabled purse I recently made.http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=65861. I don't know how to name URL's so they are shorter, sorry

I love the two colored socks! And those stitch markers are so cute. Every time I pass by my plastic pink ring, I scoff at it.

Doodknitwit
09-28-2007, 08:48 AM
I love the purse the green is so pretty..
busy girl...:blooby:

GiddyKnitter
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I just love that purse and the socks are so cute..A girl can never have too many stitch markers. Nice to hear from you again x

Mulderknitter
09-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I was just wondering about you yesterday! Good to see you are doing well, I miss all of your beautiful fo's!
Great job on everything, I love the stitch markers. Much better than my first attempts at them!

GrandmaLori
09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Nice work on the projects. Good luck on your Junior Recital. My DD is in her junior year as a piano performance major. All that practicing, so much pressure. PLUS they expect academics too! It's nice to take a few moments out and do your knit/crochet projects. Just to relax a bit.

Mariblue
09-28-2007, 11:03 AM
You've made some really lovely items! :cheering: That purse is too cute.
I was a music major (flute), and I remember all the hours I spent practicing very fondly.

...dotty...
09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
There you are !

Girl, we've missed you over at the AnySock KAL !
I want to see those Argyles, too !

Love the green and purple together ! And that bag is adorable.........kudos to gramma and granddaughter ! :muah:

A girl just has to put her own personality into her stitch markers ! Way to go !

dustinac
09-29-2007, 09:35 AM
:woot:I can see the photos today!! Everything looks wonderful :happydance:

ah
09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Everything looks great, but LOVE the purse. Studying & knitting--now that is multitasking.

Mama Bear
09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Great job! Good luck on the recital :)

Mama Bear

laikabear
10-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Wish I could knit and read at the same time! Not there yet. :teehee:

I, too, was missing your comments. I didn't know you knew how to crochet! That purse is too cute. Definitely stick to grandma's way - looks like it works just fine. I also love the contrasting color socks.

The stitch markers look great! If you accidentally make too many, sell them on Etsy!!! I'd buy some.

Do you think your recital will be taped? And do you think you could post it on your blog? :poke: I bet lots of people would love to see it. No pressure. :mrgreen:

Lima
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I love your work!:inlove:

ArtLady1981
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi'ya little redhead! :waving: Yeah, I hane been missin' ya...but I just thought that maybe summertime fun and vacations, etc. was the culprit! Once Summer is over, and Fall settles in...everyone comes back to the roost! And here we are!

I love your projects! All very very wonderful! :thumbsup:

And the stitch markers....WOW! girl, way to go! You made some really cute gems! All seem to be a little different! You will love working with them!

Thanks for taking time to post photos! I saw ya over at the Ravelry summer camp! Looking forward to seeing (and nosing around in) your "cupboard" of goodies! :teehee:

Hugs,

Artlady