PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fair Isle knitters

gargoylelib
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Hello!

I was wondering if some of the more experienced Fair Isle
knitters could tell me what they think of this (http://novita.fi/sys/cms.php?cms_cname=neulemallisivu&nlm_id=259) pattern?
I mean, is it something a beginner could tackle or would
it be for the more experienced? I like it and will eventually
do it but I have only done one stranded colorwork project
before so don't want to tackle anything too complicated
and get discouraged. The pattern is in Finnish but if you
scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Nayta neulekaavat"
you can see the colorwork chart. I thought I could do it
because it seems that there are only two colors to worry
about per row.....what do you think?
TIA,
Libbie :)

redwitch
09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
You're right! This would be fine for a beginner, although they are a bit long. I personally would start people off on a slightly smaller project to be safe, but that's up to you! I do recommend though that you don't do these until you have already done a sock in the same method, e.g. if they are top-down with a heel flap, make sure you have done one before.

Also do a long swatch and keep going until your tension has gotten quite good and even, and be scrupulously honest about gauge because colourwork is less stretchy than plain knitting.

And... check out Eunny's blog, a post called Tip, Tricks and Treats covering most of what you need to know about SC as a beginner.

Jan in CA
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
If you haven't done fair isle at all I suggest practicing first on something else. It'll help you learn how to strand the yarn loosely so you can get your foot in the socks and catch the strands at the back so your toes won't catch in them. Here's where I learned to work fair isle..they give you a little sample purse to do. You'll need IE to view the video.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm

knitncook
09-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Sure, easy if you speak Norwegian! I'd be pulling my hair out trying to translate it all. ROFL But I think Jan has a good idea if you have never done stranded work to do something small to get the hang of it. Or you could do like I do and just dive into really complicated projects with both feet. Sort of the sink or swim method.

DragonsChest
09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
If you haven't done fair isle at all I suggest practicing first on something else. It'll help you learn how to strand the yarn loosely so you can get your foot in the socks and catch the strands at the back so your toes won't catch in them. Here's where I learned to work fair isle..they give you a little sample purse to do. You'll need IE to view the video.

That was the BEST video I've seen on the subject. Thank you so much for posting it. I wish I had known her technique ages ago -- to make up for it, I'm going to order one of her kits, once I decide on a color scheme.

Jan in CA
09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
That was the BEST video I've seen on the subject. Thank you so much for posting it. I wish I had known her technique ages ago -- to make up for it, I'm going to order one of her kits, once I decide on a color scheme.

:thumbsup:

GardenGirlKnitsToo
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Or you could do like I do and just dive into really complicated projects with both feet. Sort of the sink or swim method.:roflhard:

That's my preferred method, too. :)

Waggus
09-28-2007, 08:14 PM

I wanna watch this and haven't got IE! I'll have to try on someone else's computer...

gargoylelib
09-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Ok, thanks for recommending Eunny's blog and also
the link to the video. I have already done one project
so sort of have the "feel" for this type of colorwork and
I am comfortable making socks so I think will go ahead
and tackle these!

Btw, knitncook, the language is Finnish not Norwegian! ;)
People are a bit sensitive about things like that around
here...hehe

Libbie :)

Lieke
09-29-2007, 03:20 AM
:roflhard:

Sounds like me as well. My first (and till now only, since I'm still working on it) stranded project is a whole sweater. But it'll be finished and I love stranded knitting, so I think I managed to swim :wink:

KnittingNat
09-29-2007, 03:24 AM
:roflhard:

I'm not alone :teehee:!

Cia
09-29-2007, 05:10 AM
You'll need IE to view the video.

Thank you Jan!:cheering: I've been planning a small fairisle part on a project of mine, and that method is surely the best I've seen! You've probably saved me lots of frustration (ie :frog:) to come