PDA

View Full Version : FO: My First Sweater, A Ripple Afghan, and A Kitten

MaleKnitter
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, let me start of by saying, this was my first big project and my first sweater, it taught me A LOT and I now have made a few mistakes that i will never make again. It was one of my on-and-off projects of the summer. The pattern was Tatania from the Berroco website (but the corrections for the pattern can be found on knittinghelp)
This sweater is not very photogenic. I bought all of the yarn for it several months ago at wal mart. It was amazing that they had just enough yarn to make this sweater (like devine intervention) so i bought it all... I did not check the Dye lot and as you can see, there are two different colors in this sweater (it's really hard to tell in real life, but the amazing picture quality of this camera lets you all know my embarrassing secret right away :oops:). Also, it is big on my stepmother. She loves the fact that she can be in any position that she wants while wearing it and stay warm, but i was really hoping for a snug fit... (she's a medium in everything else that she wears, but not this sweater :doh:).

The blanket was one of those things that i started, got half way on, and never finished. My sister got married about a week and a half ago and I thought it might be a nice gift (I thought this the day before the wedding) I had a 50% finished afghan. SOOO, I hurried and made another 25% of the blanket that night, another 10% on the ride to her house (long drive) and the last 15% after the wedding :oo:... oh well, she didnt even open her presents until she got back from the honeymoon. She hasnt called me yet, but i hope she likes it.

And now, I know this isnt a FO, but my cat's have been busy at work too. We have a new addition to the family. A little kitten!!! :inlove:. He is so cute, and now his eyes are open and he is walking around. We didnt even know that our female cat was pregnant until she started to follow me around like crazy one day (she does that when she is pregnant, she wants me to get her a box to give birth in.) So, I got her a box to use and 45 minutes later, she was having a little kitten.
We have named the kitten Wolfgang. My dad chose the name because he wanted a dignified name for the little tomcat and because it has little gray ears (like a wolf), AND he will get the nickname Wolf. :teehee:

Jan in CA
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
The sweater and blanket are beautiful! And that kitty! :inlove:

Songbirdy
10-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I think the Afghan is great! :thumbsup::thumbsup: An excellent wedding gift in my opinion!

That sweater... It's on my wish list for myself so it was really nice to see it knitted. It looks great, but it is too bad about the sizing! :star::star::star::star:

and I just :heart: the kitten :) We're cat people in our home ;)

Anyhow! What a lot of knitting! :)

KnittingNat
10-01-2007, 06:26 AM
I think that's a great sweater! After a few size problems i decided to make myself only S or XS :rofl:. The afghan is a great gift and the kitten is sooooooo adorable :heart::heart::heart:

Tamar Dohel
10-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Are you sure that that's your first sweater? Good job!

I like your knitting.

And your kitty is just so cute! Luck you.

Tamar

Slim
10-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Beautiful sweater! I love the color. I can't believe how quickly you finished the afghan -- it looks great. It will make a wonderful gift. And a sweet, sweet kitty!

dustinac
10-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Everything looks wonderful!!:happydance: I'm sure she loves the afghan...the kitten is sooo cute!!!

nonny2t
10-01-2007, 09:44 AM
The sweater is beautiful as is the afghan and the kitten is adorable!

GiddyKnitter
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Great work the afghan is lovely...I just love your little kitten x

MaleKnitter
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought more people would comment on my baby kitten and my first sweater :sad:

Pat in Ca
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
beautiful knitting!!! What yarn did you use on your projects?
I love the different colors on the afghan..

Pat in Ca
10-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Also what pattern for the afghan? I LOVE IT!!! thx...

Lima
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
:muah: Very creative!!!

MaleKnitter
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
PAT IN CA
The yarn that I used for the sweater was Caron Simply Soft in Dark Country Blue

The Afghan was also Simply Soft in Dark Country Blue, Country Blue, Soft Blue, and White. I wanted to use Light country blue instead of Soft Blue but my wal-mart was out.

The pattern for the afghan is a very standard ripple afghan pattern and can be found very easily if you just go to google and look up "knitted ripple afghan pattern" or "feather and fans afghan"

But here is the pattern if you don't want to look for it.

Pattern Stitch is a repeat of four rows:
Cast on a multiple of 18 Stitches
Row 1: Purl
Row2: *(K2 tog) 3 times, (YO K1) 6 times, (K2 tog)3 times, Repeat from * accross
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Knit

For Afghan cast on 114 Stitches

Rows 1-6: Knit
Row 7: K 3, Place marker, work row one of pattern stitch to last three stitches, place marker, K 3
Row 8: K 3, work next row of pattern stitch to marker, K 3
Repeat Row 8 until afghan measures approx. 56 inches from cast on edge ending on row 4 of pattern stitch
K 4 Rows
Bind off stitches in Knit

If you want to make the afghan wider, then add stitches in a multiple of 18

I hope you like it :)

mare-nitt
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Great job all around, and the name for the kitty is perfect.

ArtLady1981
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Okay, let me start of by saying, this was my first big project and my first sweater, it taught me A LOT and I now have made a few mistakes that i will never make again. It was one of my on-and-off projects of the summer. The pattern was Tatania from the Berroco website (but the corrections for the pattern can be found on knittinghelp)
This sweater is not very photogenic. I bought all of the yarn for it several months ago at wal mart. It was amazing that they had just enough yarn to make this sweater (like devine intervention) so i bought it all... I did not check the Dye lot and as you can see, there are two different colors in this sweater (it's really hard to tell in real life, but the amazing picture quality of this camera lets you all know my embarrassing secret right away :oops:). Also, it is big on my stepmother. She loves the fact that she can be in any position that she wants while wearing it and stay warm, but i was really hoping for a snug fit... (she's a medium in everything else that she wears, but not this sweater :doh:).

The blanket was one of those things that i started, got half way on, and never finished. My sister got married about a week and a half ago and I thought it might be a nice gift (I thought this the day before the wedding) I had a 50% finished afghan. SOOO, I hurried and made another 25% of the blanket that night, another 10% on the ride to her house (long drive) and the last 15% after the wedding :oo:... oh well, she didnt even open her presents until she got back from the honeymoon. She hasnt called me yet, but i hope she likes it.

And now, I know this isnt a FO, but my cat's have been busy at work too. We have a new addition to the family. A little kitten!!! :inlove:. He is so cute, and now his eyes are open and he is walking around. We didnt even know that our female cat was pregnant until she started to follow me around like crazy one day (she does that when she is pregnant, she wants me to get her a box to give birth in.) So, I got her a box to use and 45 minutes later, she was having a little kitten.
We have named the kitten Wolfgang. My dad chose the name because he wanted a dignified name for the little tomcat and because it has little gray ears (like a wolf), AND he will get the nickname Wolf. :teehee:

Hey there, don't feel bad about the dyelots! It happens to the best of us, young and old, newbies and pros! The sweater is a work of art, and knit with love which makes up for all the "special touches"!

ABSOLUTELY love the colorways you used for the gorgeous afghan! WOW!

And the kitty.....mmmmmmm....ADORABLE looking little bitty thing! LOVE HER!

Thanks for taking time to post the photos!:thumbsup:

MaleKnitter
10-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Also, forgot to mention, about the afghan pattern, I used Size 13 needles and TWO strands of yarn held together... sorry, if you do it with size 8 needles and one strand of SS then you will get a long, Fat scarf... it would be a neat scarf though, but if you want to make that afghan with the exact pattern that i typed, then use large needles

DreamWeaver
10-04-2007, 03:37 AM
The sweater looks really pretty, and I'm sure the blanket is going to be well loved.

But the KITTY!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I just about died when I saw it. It's just so FLUFFY!!!!!!

dmknits
10-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Both the sweater and blanket look so nice! Great job. And what a cute kitty.

Pat in Ca
10-05-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks for taking the time to give instuctions for the afghan...I wrote it all down.. I really like Simply soft by Caron.. but have only used it using one strand... I am currently using it to make a top down raglan (my 2nd sweater), I like the fact that it is machine washable... and reasonable priced and great colors..I have wondered if it would be good using 2 strands.. I'll bet it would be great using even more strands for one of those fat needle afghans..
I'm going to give your pattern a try... thanks again

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Great job!

dagny
10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't know how to tell you how much I love the colors on that afghan. IMO they are perfect!

Lovely sweater too. If anything the "mistake" with the dye lots will give it character.

That kitten is too much!

Mariblue
10-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Very nice. You do some great work. :cheering: That little kitten is just adorable.

roseybee
10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
First of all, the way the dye lots worked out, it almost looked like they were on purpose, with the body and cuffs one color and the sleeves another. You did a great job.
I used those exact same colors in Caron SS for a crocheted baby blanket for my nephew when he was born almost four years ago. You have great taste in colors, I guess!
The picture of the kitten is the most adorable animal picture I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing!

ah
10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
The kitten is so cute. The afghan is lovely and the sweater looks good (even if you intended a different fit).

aslangirl
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
All very lovely! And that kitten is the cutest thing ever...I'll babysit anytime! :wink:

Babyduck87
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
what a cute kitty! love the name! oh and i def love that blanket pattern!

mwedzi
10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
:yay: I started to make Tatiana once, too, but it was coming out too big and I couldn't take all the ribbing. It's so nice of you to knit such time-consuming projects for the ones you love. Beautiful!

and that kitty! :passedout:

Samsam
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
wow! the ripple blanket it neat (I have a chocheted blanket like that) now I know how to knit it!

monzogary
10-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Your projects are very nice (and that kitty - too cute!). Great job!