PDA

View Full Version : HELP with pattern . . .

knitot
09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey, fellow knitwits--

A great yarn store here in the Cleveland area went of business (boo and yay--40% off!). I bought a great Debbie Bliss pattern book and some fabulous yarn (not Debbie Bliss). I started knitting this beautiful sweater in the smallest size (after, of course, knitting a gauge swatch). Only thing is . . . the first piece is a waistband, and even in the smallest size, I can tell that it's way too big. Can I simply downsize needles and follow the pattern until it seems like the right fit? Or will I waste lots of time and lots of really expensive yarn doing this kind of adjusting?

Jackie in Ohio

knitqueen
09-30-2007, 09:39 PM
If you did the gauge swatch and your gauge was accurate, I'd say keep going and trust the pattern. It is very hard to tell from such a small sampling of the knitting so far, things might start to look different once you're into it a ways further.

suzeeq
09-30-2007, 11:47 PM
The first few rows on the needle can stretch out a lot and seem a lot wider than they should be or will be after you've done more. Keep going for a bit and check it again when you've got about 6 inches done.