PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stink

Knitting_Guy
10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
A waitress in a truckstop was looking at my scarf a little while ago and she dropped a part of it onto a stinking dill pickle. grrrrrrr

It's Caron Simply Soft. Do you suppose Febreeze will remove the pickle stench without affecting the yarn?

ADAllen
10-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Ohh I want hear the answer to this. I've thought about Febreezing my knitting before, but I haven't gotten the nerve up to do it yet.

Ingrid
10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
It might, but why not just rinse it out? The Caron is acrylic, so you should just be able to run water through it.:think:

Knitting_Guy
10-01-2007, 05:29 PM
It might, but why not just rinse it out? The Caron is acrylic, so you should just be able to run water through it.:think:

I thought about that, and did wipe it with a damp cloth which helped, but I really don't want to get the thing really wet yet as it isn't quite finished. I plan to wash it once it's finished.

I checked it a few minutes after I posted this question and the odor has faded quite a bit so maybe wiping it off helped.

I may try the Febreeze just to see what happens.

mrslevite
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
You can rinse just that part, towel dry it with a clean dry towel and it will be almost dry at the point and will dry quickly after that - one of the advantages of acrylic. :)

Knitting_Guy
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
You can rinse just that part, towel dry it with a clean dry towel and it will be almost dry at the point and will dry quickly after that - one of the advantages of acrylic. :)
Ok, I'll try rinsing.

Jan in CA
10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't see why Febreeze wouldn't work, too. If all else fails give it a try.

jeanius80
10-01-2007, 11:37 PM
i had to febreeze two whole balls of peaches n cream. dh didn't know it was still in the wal-mart bag, and decided to use it as a garbage bag (cigarette butts, soda cans, chip bags... just nasty!:ick:)

anyway, it worked:mrgreen:

Phaedra
10-02-2007, 01:46 AM
I have Febreezed 3 shawls and 2 felted bags to get rid of the "wet wool" odor. I worked great. The "rain" scent smells really good.

brendajos
10-02-2007, 01:56 AM
i had to febreeze two whole balls of peaches n cream. dh didn't know it was still in the wal-mart bag, and decided to use it as a garbage bag (cigarette butts, soda cans, chip bags... just nasty!:ick:)

anyway, it worked:mrgreen:

Okay i gotta say.... at that price, and with that level of nastiness... i woulda just bought new... you are a better woman than me! lol :ick:

Yarnlady
10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
White vinegar will do the same thing as Fabreeze and will save money to buy more yarn!:happydance:

Knitting_Guy
10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input folks. I knew that Febreeze would remove the odor but was concerned about it staining the yarn. Sounds like it's safe enough.