PDA

View Full Version : What do you knit in?

DragonsChest
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
What kind of chair? I have a glider with a footstool, and I'm growing to hate it. My back hurts so much by the time I stand up. I've tried putting a pillow against my lower back, and that does help, but not enough.

I want a new chair! I've looked at the Relax the Back store, but I cannot afford them. Does anyone out there have a certain brand of chair they just love, that won't cost so much that I can't buy yarn for the rest of my natural life?

:heart:

Knitting_Guy
10-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Driver's seat in my truck (air ride and multi adjustable, very comfy), diner seats, bar stools, the odd stump, doesn't matter.

bip
10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I have the zero gravity chair from Relax the Back, and don't feel bad about it being out of your price range. Probably isn't worth it. I don't find it comfortable at all, and if you try to shift positions, you end up putting pressure in weird places. Really hurts my trick hip! I also end up putting pillows under various arms/legs, and sometimes I use one of those U pillows made for sleeping on the plane instead of the chair's headrest.

That said, I probably shouldn't blame the chair. More likely, the problem is probably that I'll sit there for hours w/o getting up and stretching. I think no matter what you are sitting in, your body will get sore if you don't get up every hour or so and walk around the room and stretch out your arms and legs.

I took a knitting class in August, and the instructor made a big point about how important it was to stretch. She said, "Fiber people blow their bodies out." That really resonated with me, and I am trying to take better care of myself so I can knit without pain for many years to come!

ekgheiy
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm with ya there Mason. :thumbsup: I knit where ever my butt (or feet) put me. :teehee: I've knit in couches, in chairs, in bed, on concrete, in my car (in the driver's seat :eyebrow:), in cars as a passenger and I've even knit while walking the mall with my mother. ;)

knitncook
10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
My family doesn't understand why I perfer sitting in the old slouchy green thrift store chair when I knit. They don't realize that it fits me very well. It's low enough that my short little legs touch the floor, it is wide enough that I can tuck my arms in if they are tired and still knit AND the arms are low enough that if I want to prop my elbows on them I can do that as well.

I say if you are looking for a new chair go to different furniture places with your knitting and just sit and knit in them for a while. You will eventually know if a chair is comfy enough after just a few rows. Go when there aren't a lot of people there (I would presume mid day) and don't forget thrift stores. You might find an old slouchy green chair yourself.

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I love big comfy overstuffed things, so my couch and big chair usually win. Also wherever the kittes let me sit :pout:

aprildavis99
10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm like Mason. I like to knit anywhere. As long as I don't sit directly on the floor or ground I'm ok. But at home, my favorite place is long-ways on the couch with several pillows behind my back. I never thought about buying a special chair to sit in, so I couldn't help you there. Sorry.

Knitting_Guy
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I love big comfy overstuffed things

We'd get along great :mrgreen:

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
We'd get along great :mrgreen:
he he you made me snort. :blooby:

mare-nitt
10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I recently went through the "I gota get a new chair mode". And ended up buying a new recliner with good back support(and boy, have the prices gone up since the last time I purchased one, och)

But now I have the new recliner, and it is wonderful and comfy, but I find the arms get in the way of my elbows when I knit.:doh: So now, I move to the couch to knit, and look at my new chair.:roflhard:

Marilynn

mrslevite
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Lately, for me it's been my bed. I need to get my feet up and the recliner just isn't comfortable - hurts my back and neck. Haven't even tried to knit in it. I used to knit and crochet in my big wooden rocker. But it's in the garage since my move. I need to rearrange the furniture in the living room to make room for it.

Songbirdy
10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
We have a kind of hand-me down sofa (bought it off my parents).

It has a bucket type back? You know the arm and back are the same height but it does go up a bit more in the back.

Anyhow I sit tucked into the corner with 1 or 2 pillows propped behind my back. And pop my feet on a low stool or my sewing basket.

I used to work in a Nursing home and one of my many jobs was fitting wheel chairs for people.

Your lower back support is crucial. As is having your feet up enough. For the majority of us we want our legs to bend up and rest only lightly on the edge of the seat, then slope away from the sofa toward the floor. NOT a 90 degree angle. I am nearly 6 ft tall and find it much better to have a stool beneath my feet!

And last but most important and already mentioned... you must change positions! Every half hour is enough for most of us as we are not elderly and have a little or more than a little natural padding.

That being said... we've all got a natural comfortable position. There is no need to fight what makes you comfortable!

simplethings
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
For a while I was knitting in a $10 'office' chair from Walmart. Had wheels, a small pad for the back, and no arm rests. I was very mobile and I had it for so long that the chair and my body comfortably conformed to each other, but, it was so old the seat cushion was worn away to the point where I could feel the screws that held the chair together poking me when I sat down. Not pleasant.

I recently bought a better office chair from Sam's Club... or maybe CostCo... but, it's a lot more cushion-y and it has arm rests which used to get in the way, but, now I just rest my elbows on them and knit. The whole chair also reclines (didn't know this at first, and screamed when I leaned back feeling like I was gonna fall :chair:) which is also quite comfortable.

I spend most of my @ home knitting time in front of my computer. I've tried knitting in bed but that just makes me sleepy.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
my dh's ergonomically designed desk chair that i swiped, in bed with the pillows behind me, any comfy chair really.

DragonsChest
10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
This looks really cool, but I wonder if it would be comfortable. They say it is -- has anyone tried something like this? It's still more than I wanted to pay, but I love the design.

http://www.knittingsisters.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=3210&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/TopBotNav/Storebuilder_Type1.html

Quiltlady
10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I knit in my comfy chair in my living room. I have the tv on when I knit. Plus my feet up on my footstool. :knitting::knitting:

MamaMer
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Is it weird that my first thought when I read the title to this thread was "In my jammies!":aww::teehee:

But since you all are naming chairs and such: I knit where ever my yarn is, but I prefer my big comfy leather couch--cool in the summer and warms to your body temp just right in the cooler weather!:)

mrslevite
10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Is it weird that my first thought when I read the title to this thread was "In my jammies!":aww::teehee:

LOL!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone! :roflhard:

Indygirl
10-02-2007, 06:31 PM
he he you made me snort. :blooby:
Me too Mason:roflhard::roflhard:

Mulderknitter
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
This looks really cool, but I wonder if it would be comfortable. They say it is -- has anyone tried something like this? It's still more than I wanted to pay, but I love the design.

http://www.knittingsisters.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=3210&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/TopBotNav/Storebuilder_Type1.html
I haven't tried, but it does look comfy. I like the foot rest, need that, and no arms to block the flying needles.

Rorshach
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I'll usually knit in my computer chair, but as long as it allows me to be comfortable, I'll knit pretty much anywhere.

laikabear
10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I think you need to buy the knitter's chair and let us know what you think! :)

I usually knit on the sofa (longways with my feet up) or in bed. At work if we are slow I will sit in an office chair with my feet in another chair (don't tell my daytime coworkers, haha), but this is not as comfortable as the other 2.

Jens
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=DragonsChest;973796]This looks really cool, but I wonder if it would be comfortable. They say it is -- has anyone tried something like this? It's still more than I wanted to pay, but I love the design.
That looks really comfy. It is pricey. I have over stuffed furniture just a couch and loveseat and i curl up on those. I do have a wooden rock that is near the light that I get in sometimes too but there is no padding. I have a chair I love that I nursed my babies in but it won't fit int he room I like to knit in. It was from a thrift store I got it for $15 but it fits me perfectly!!

i agree with the person that said take you knitting with you to pick something out.

dustinac
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
My bed :teehee:...I can't knit to long on the futon...the glider is ok for a bit but then my back will start to hurt there as well... we moved rooms around this summer and for the first time we have our room...set up for us....the kids are not passing through or playing in or sleeping in... I love to go in there and prop the pillows up...put in a classic movie and knit... my back doesn't bother me as much either....Outside I enjoy the swing or an old wicker rocker we have...

I really like that chair...it's really cute...

debinoz
10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I knit in an office chair that DH bought for my computer desk. I've had it so long that the padding is gone/crushed in the seat and the back. I've tossed a quilt in the seat and a blanket over the back. For a footstool I use an upsidedown bucket with a small pillow on top.

That knitting chair looks very uncomfortable to me. Unless it sits extremely low it would cut across the back of your legs. Well, mine anyway since I'm only 5' short.

knitasha
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
The NYC subway, especially the B train, where I can almost always get a seat. Best of all is the seat at the end of the car which is supposed to hold two people but they'd have to be pretty skinny. When people see me knitting there they never try to squeeze in beside me and I have the whole thing for me and my bags.

Tucked into the corner of the high-backed sectional couch, feet on the coffee table, right arm squeezed against my side so it's immobilized. Then I can knit Continental with very little arm movement and no elbow pain. Goofy, but it works.

DragonsChest
10-02-2007, 09:49 PM

But since you all are naming chairs and such: I knit where ever my yarn is, but I prefer my big comfy leather couch--cool in the summer and warms to your body temp just right in the cooler weather!:)

I sorta did that on purpose - I'm a little stinker sometimes! :muah:

SusanMarie1956
10-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Good evening To all!

I sit and knit in my wooden rocking chair, at my dining room table.

For outside, I like the Front porch swing, or the rocking chair outside. WOODEN ONE. It's big enough that I sit in it with Sissy, my Maltese.

Someone menttioned a chair that is anti gravity. Can you tell me more about that chair? Where do you get those or where could I try one out?

Susan

ArtLady1981
10-04-2007, 01:52 AM
I knit at the left end of a 6-foot, 3-cushion sofa. I sit on Cushion A...my knitting sits on cushion B (the middle)...and my Shih Tzu sleeps on cushion C..the far right end.

Something for everyone! :woot:

Silver
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
My spot on the sofa, my desk chair, the drivers seat of my truck (when not moving), the passenger seat of my truck when DH is driving, a chair in any waiting room, my chair in the classroom at Joanns, on the back patio, on a bar stool at the counter, in bed... um... should I go on?

Ok, MOSTLY, I knit in my spot on the sofa. :heart:

Sissy
10-04-2007, 10:01 AM
:knitting:I am with Mason, anywhere I can.I do have a glider chair that I like, but I am most happy on our bed with my back against the wall...........Sissy

sharjm5@verizon.net
10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't be afraid of a recliner, too. I use mine for most of my knitting and sometime it's sitting up and sometimes it's quite far down -- it just fits me as I'm the only one who uses it.

Debkcs
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
My DH is 6'4", I'm 6'1", we have a recliner built for tall people that I sit in most of the time. It works well for knitting, and for my physical condition also.

If you have an Ikea in your area, they have a LOT of chairs that you can sit in for as long as you need, to figure out what one would be best. At the Portland store, they have one that looks like that "knitter's chair" for about one half the price.

sinistral_needler
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Usually I just sit on the couch or on the floor until my feet fall asleep. I would LOVE to get a two-armed overstuffed chaise lounge chair, not only for knitting in but just because I love them anyway.

rachejm
10-05-2007, 07:27 AM
When at home I usually sit cross-legged on my bed with my pillows stacked up behind me. At uni I sit on the horrible sofa (I say horrible because it is a nasty floral print and we have to cover it up with throws) and spread out until I have enough room, anyone else who wants to sit down has to have the armchair.

DragonsChest
10-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I've taken to heart the suggestions about getting up and stretching more, not just sitting and knitting for ages without moving. It does seem to help, so thank you all!! That very obvious suggestion just wasn't very obvious to me! :grphug: Guess I didn't realize what I was doing.

DorothyDot
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
What do I knit in? Okay, whatever I have on when I grab the needles. :teehee:

When I was in school, the floor was a favorite - in front of the tv watching Batman. Then the bed after my ski injury. Then wherever I had a break and my project together at the same time. This included my car or in a field or woods at lunch [when I was a forest ranger], in my car or our lunchroom [when I was county arborist], in my cubicle or while waiting for the County Council to start - or waiting for a public hearing to start, or in the lunch room, or in a friend's cubicle [while I was a county community planner].

Now? Mostly in front of the tv - the spookier the movie, the faster I knit! or in doctors' offices, or with my knitting groups. Or riding in the car to somewhere - now that we're in the country, it takes at least 1/2 hour to get anywhere. Great knitting time!

Dot

G J
10-06-2007, 09:34 PM
At home I've claimed the Lane recliner that I just added more stuffing to (the cushions unzip underneath). I sometimes knit in bed with a bed chair thingy pillow arranged just so (another pillow behind it) and a cushion under my knees. Gotta be comfy!

At work (I'm a home-bound teacher) I can sometimes knit while a student is taking a test, so I knit where ever we're working--a kitchen chair, sofa, office chair--whatever is available. I can't knit as long in those positions, though. My arms start to hurt.

I gotta say, that "knitting chair" looks really uncomfortable! NO lumbar support! It would not encourage good posture!

And I also gotta say that taking breaks and stretching is VERY important!! I ended up not being able to knit for 5 LOOONG weeks because of arm and hand pain. Don't go there!!!

robynbird
10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I knit in my big leather recliner my dad gave us until we bought a new Lazy Boy couch with double recliners. Now I sit on the couch, with my feet up and my knitting next to me.