PDA

View Full Version : WIP: "Max"...a manly pullover!

ArtLady1981
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi"ya! :waving:

Well, I did what I said I wasn't gonna do EVER AGAIN: knit a second sweater for my DH! He is a hot body, and doesn't wear sweaters 'n' coats often.

I have the swatching done...hanks all wound into neat little cakes (17 of them!) and will cast on tonight!

"Max" is a new design from Elsebeth Lavold's newest book:
The Walk in The Park Collection!

I am not using her signature yarn. I am using STASH yarn! :cheering:
(Araucania Atacama in Colorway 506...100% alpaca). It is supposedly a worsted weight yarn, however, I did NOT like it for worsted wt patterns. The stocking stitch is too loosey-goosey IMHO. May work better with other worsted patterns.

Araucania Atacama is a perfect DK weight using US 6 needles! 22st knit to a perfect 4"...and is not too compact nor tight. Yeah!

"Max" ....a manly pullover! (photo from book, worth posting, huh?!)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3036.jpg

My Yarn: DH likes its "camouflage" coloration!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3034.jpg

My un-blocked, un-tweaked gauge swatch:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3030.jpg

Closeup of the pattern stitch:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3039.jpg

Here's the book:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3040.jpg

sue in canada
10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
That looks like a great pattern. Love your choice of yarn.

momwolf
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow nice guy I mean sweater

cam90066
10-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Yum! Love the colorway of the yarn. :)

It's darn near impossible to keep up with your creative productions. Every time I return to this forum seems you've posted another de-lish piece. ;)

cam

Jan in CA
10-03-2007, 02:20 AM
It will be beautiful!

AnotherBecca
10-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Great colors! It's going to be a fab sweater! And I mean fab in the most manly possible way!

KnittingNat
10-03-2007, 04:42 AM
ArtLady, it looks like a great pattern! Are you sure the pattern will show with the variegated yarn? Did you make a swatch with the pattern?

PurlyGyrl
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for posting the photos--I can't take my :eyes: eyes of the handsome - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -ummmmmmmm - - - - -sweater, yeah, sure, that's right, the sweater. :teehee:

nonny2t
10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
That is going to be a fantastic sweater!

ArtLady1981
10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
ArtLady, it looks like a great pattern! Are you sure the pattern will show with the variegated yarn? Did you make a swatch with the pattern?

No, I didn't swatch with the pattern. :pout: I did think about the "pattern" on a field of "tweed" colors...you're right...the pattern won't 'pop' as much as with solid color yarn...but I think the pattern will texturize the overall look. The arms are solid st st.

I haven't gotten too far on the BACK. I think I will make a swatch later today. Will post it here for feedback.

Stay tuned.

If I don't like it, :eyes: or if it is horrid...I would change patterns rather than yarn. I want to use this yarn. He likes it. :eyebrow:

ArtLady1981
10-03-2007, 10:12 PM
OK, here are a couple photos of the 'pattern swatch'....two repeats across, one repeat tall. Had to pin it out in lieu of blocking.

Tell me honestly, will it be ok with this yarn and pattern together?

Or do you really think I should search for a different pattern for this yarn...

I have not gotten beyond the ribbing, so I can easily FROG and start a new pattern with this gorgeous yarn.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3059.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3053.jpg

ArtLady1981
10-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Here is a different pattern swatch. Anyone want to weigh in on it's appearance VS the other pattern swatch??

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3064Re-sized.jpg

Debkcs
10-04-2007, 02:56 AM
I think it will look great with the pattern you chose. Of course,everything you knit looks perfect and if anyone can pull this off, it's you ~

Can you tell I admire your talent?

KnittingNat
10-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Maybe the original pattern will show more on a bigger piece...On the swatches the second pattern shows better, IMHO. Though i'm pretty sure that everything that you'll do will turn out gorgeous :muah:

momwolf
10-04-2007, 08:21 AM
I like the basket weave better.I made a sweater for my son(23)-yrs) in Basket weave and it turned out really nice.

sue in canada
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I think the second shows the pattern a little more but either will look great. Your work always looks wonderful.

Knitting_Guy
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow, I really like the look of that sweater. I'd wear it.

ArtLady1981
10-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi all! :waving: Thanks for all your input. Yeah, I think the original "MAX" pattern stitch would "show off" better with a greater amount done...and blocked. It definitely needs blocking to pull it into shape.

I frogged what I had done...and I am working on my Branching Out scarf...and staring at "Max" pattern and yarn.

I am so conflicted. So, I am going to give it a rest and mull it over.

You are right, momwolf...basketweave really shows off nicely...it is much more simply stated on the tweed yarn.
I like how rev st st blocks appear horizontal ...and alternating st st blocks appear vertical. That is cool in itself.

But, I have not given the original pattern stitch a fair shake. Maybe I will go at it in the original pattern...with the realization that FROGGING is always an option. Right?
The yarn was not cheap....sigh...so I want it to be right on, artistically speaking.

It is easy to convert the Max pattern pieces to basketweave. Then, what to do with the sleeves...what to do..what to do...they would need to be basketweave as well.

The original Max pattern stitch has so much plain st st areas...that the st st sleeves don't appear 'out of pocket'.

Well, thanks for all your input! I am in a dilemma...and I appreciate your input. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? What are your ideas and comments?

In anyone's opinion, is there a pattern stitch other than 'original Max' and basketweave that would suit this yarn I have?

Perhaps I will take a peek :eyes: through my multitudinous books later today....:eyes:

Stay Tuned. :eyebrow:

Arielluria
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Niiiice! My DH is same way. I don't know if I will EVER get to make him a sweater.........he wears dress shirts all winter here in S. TX!

Knitting_Guy
10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi all! :waving: Thanks for all your input. Yeah, I think the original "MAX" pattern stitch would "show off" better with a greater amount done...and blocked. It definitely needs blocking to pull it into shape.

I frogged what I had done...and I am working on my Branching Out scarf...and staring at "Max" pattern and yarn.

I am so conflicted. So, I am going to give it a rest and mull it over.

You are right, momwolf...basketweave really shows off nicely...it is much more simply stated on the tweed yarn.
I like how rev st st blocks appear horizontal ...and alternating st st blocks appear vertical. That is cool in itself.

But, I have not given the original pattern stitch a fair shake. Maybe I will go at it in the original pattern...with the realization that FROGGING is always an option. Right?
The yarn was not cheap....sigh...so I want it to be right on, artistically speaking.

It is easy to convert the Max pattern pieces to basketweave. Then, what to do with the sleeves...what to do..what to do...they would need to be basketweave as well.

The original Max pattern stitch has so much plain st st areas...that the st st sleeves don't appear 'out of pocket'.

Well, thanks for all your input! I am in a dilemma...and I appreciate your input. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? What are your ideas and comments?

In anyone's opinion, is there a pattern stitch other than 'original Max' and basketweave that would suit this yarn I have?

Perhaps I will take a peek :eyes: through my multitudinous books later today....:eyes:

Stay Tuned. :eyebrow:

Maybe it's just me, but maybe you're over thinking this? I think the original pattern would look great in that. It would definitely suits the average guy's tastes I should think. I would like it.

Debkcs
10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Neither my son or my husband wear sweaters or even jackets much. Salem Oregon, for the most part, is rather balmy compared to other places we've lived.

Can't wait to see what you choose.

ArtLady1981
10-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Maybe it's just me, but maybe you're over thinking this? I think the original pattern would look great in that. It would definitely suits the average guy's tastes I should think. I would like it.

Yes, Mason, yes...I am overthinking it...which is why I am going to JUST KNIT it as originally planned! Ack. I drive myself :eyes: !

Thanks for the encouragement from a guy's perspective! :thumbsup:
If you'd like it, John will like it,too. He certainly likes the camouflage-like tweed colors of the yarn. I guess color is more important than pattern. And the yarn is soft, without being sissy-soft.

kristinw
10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I like the original pattern and yarn. I think the garter stitch breaks it up enough so that it adds visual appeal. Plus you said the sleeves are all st st, right? I hope you are going to go for it.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I also like earthy, tweedy type colors and patterns so I'm sure he'll like this pattern.

Yes, Mason, yes...I am overthinking it...which is why I am going to JUST KNIT it as originally planned! Ack. I drive myself :eyes: !

Thanks for the encouragement from a guy's perspective! :thumbsup:
If you'd like it, John will like it,too. He certainly likes the camouflage-like tweed colors of the yarn. I guess color is more important than pattern. And the yarn is soft, without being sissy-soft.

dustinac
10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I think it will be really pretty!! You have a way with putting yarn and patterns together...everything you make is so pretty...I'm sure this will have the same results!! He will love it...:happydance:

ArtLady1981
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input! :waving:

Yes, I have decided to re-cast for the original pattern "Max" with no pattern alterations or adjustments.

Will post a photo of the progress once I get about 4 repeats-worth done! :eyes:

ArtLady1981
10-07-2007, 01:36 AM
What could be a worse thorn in the flesh than this?

Of the 17 skeins of this yarn...same dyelot number...
2 are waaaay golder...
5 others are much much richer and intense colors....
5 others are medium intensity..
and 5 others are light intensity. :shrug:

I definitely need 15 for the sweater...so the 2 goldies can be kicked out of the crib.

So, I here I am: alternating rows again! :hair:
Rows 1, 2: Darker skeins
Rows 3, 4: Medium skeins
Rows 5 ,6: Lighter skeins
....etc, for the entire repeat which is 28 rows tall.

AND one of the darkers was much darker/richer...so I split the skein 25 g/25g...and knit the ribbing for the front and back with it.

The freakin' ribbing is K3xP3 and 3.25" high/tall with US6 needles: 25 rows!!!

Sigh.

This sweater better be worth this aggravation. :eyes:

Arielluria
10-07-2007, 10:01 AM
:teehee:Isn't knitting a RELAXING hobby?!? :roflhard:
:flirt:sometimes!

Don't fret it, it will look great!

ArtLady1981
10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
:teehee:Isn't knitting a RELAXING hobby?!? :roflhard:
:flirt:sometimes!

Don't fret it, it will look great!

Hi'ya Arielluria! :waving: Yeah...SOMETIMES!

Well, I frogged a day's worth of knitting, and for now...have suspended knitting this sweater. :yay:

Knitting should be relaxing...and this was NOT. Alternating rows between 3 skeins of yarn to compensate for the color differences was becoming a knitter's nightmare. Not impossible...no, but....NOT FUN. I am not in the mood for it!
I made an Executive Decision: FROG! :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
OOOOO, cool. I love your yarn. I hope the pattern will look all right with the yarn. It will be different, but may very well be a smash. Keep us posted on your progress.

I like the "Max" pattern. I made my DH a sweater once with a purl stitch pattern on St st in a tweedy yarn (all mostly one color though), the pattern didn't show up as much as it might have in another yarn, but he loved it. Guys don't care about these details. We both knew the pattern was there, and it could be seen in the right light. LOL

I think your DH will like the Max in that cool yarn.

KnittingNat
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
ArtLady, i'm sure you'll find a pattern that will fit the yarn and won't give you a fit :hug: