PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players?

Stonington
10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Morning all--I am a hold out as far as buying an MP3 player. I think this is because I have not taken the time to explore all of the many possibilities. But I really would like one now! :cheering:To listen to books mostly- I have a considerable drive to and from work and currently listen to approx 2 books a week on CD. I thought it would be better to upload to a MP3 player-more choices than are available at my library :passedout: but which one? Could some of you that have them possibly give me some guidance?

Thanks so much!
anne

Knitting_Guy
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I have an RCA mp3 player that I picked up at Wally World for under a hundred bucks and have been happy with it.

Silver
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Wow, there's so much to choose from. Some of the more expensive ones have a lot of bells and whistles that aren't really necessary unless you plan on carrying your whole DVD collection with you as well as music.

I have an Ipod Nano 1st Gen and I love it. Never had any problems with it. I bought my daughter a 2nd Gen Shuffle (the tiny one) for Xmas last year and she loves hers too. And surprisingly, hasn't lost it yet! :teehee:

I like Ipods because Itunes is a great program to manage your media, but I'm sure other MP3 players have their own great software. I know I'm not much help, but I'm just vouching for Ipods. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
You know...another option is your cell phone. Most new cell phones play mp3's. You can buy micro SD cards for fairly good prices. Pop your phone into the car charger, and you are set to go. Plus, you don't have the inconvenience of carrying around two devices.

Julie
10-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm a big iPod fan...I have a big old clunky 4th gen iPod and though I adore it, I would looooove to have a nano, and now is the time to buy, as the previous generation nanos are dirt cheap at the Apple store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=AA9C1546&nclm=Certified). :thumbsup:

To give you an idea of how much they can hold -- I just put an audio book on my iPod and the entire thing (12 CDs) takes up 1GB of space.

candicane
10-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a Nano (1st generation) and a shuffle (it was free!). I use the Nano more because it is easier to pick what I want to listen too. The new Nano also play video... I checked them out last week and they are sooo cool. I wish they had a trade-in program.

My Dad's car has a jack to plug in an MP3 player. My car does not so I don't use mine in the car... but my ride to work is only about 15 minutes.

candice

Sharly
10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a Creative Zen V Plus (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15306&nav=0&bypass=1). I got it Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5375521) for less than $75. The main attractions for me were that it was small, pink, and it also plays FM radio. I like that because it is always with me and if the weather gets bad, I have a source of information.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/05/46/51/13/0005465113483_215X215.jpg

I wrote about it here (http://houseof9lives.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/crazy-cat-lady-the-digital-age/) on my blog, too.

It's 2gb, so it's not the largest storage you can get, but it does function as an external storage device and you can add pictures to it. It holds plenty of songs - more than I'll ever add, probably!

Just wanted to offer it as an option for you. I think for the features/price, it's great!

Good luck with your choice!

Silver
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
That is a cute player, Sharly... and a really great price!

Sharly
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks Silver!! Wish I had a NB that same color!!

Hubby might not want to carpool, then, though :roflhard:

Stonington
10-04-2007, 11:33 AM
You know...another option is your cell phone. Most new cell phones play mp3's. You can buy micro SD cards for fairly good prices. Pop your phone into the car charger, and you are set to go. Plus, you don't have the inconvenience of carrying around two devices.

I had thought about that a while back. We justextended our cell contract because DH needed a new phone.. he is verrrry hard on phones lol. Mine still worked fine so I held off. Maybe I should look into it now :balloons: Great Idea! Thanks!:hug:

anne

Stonington
10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
:heart:I have a Creative Zen V Plus (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15306&nav=0&bypass=1). I got it Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5375521) for less than $75. The main attractions for me were that it was small, pink, and it also plays FM radio. I like that because it is always with me and if the weather gets bad, I have a source of information.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/05/46/51/13/0005465113483_215X215.jpg

I wrote about it here (http://houseof9lives.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/crazy-cat-lady-the-digital-age/) on my blog, too.

It's 2gb, so it's not the largest storage you can get, but it does function as an external storage device and you can add pictures to it. It holds plenty of songs - more than I'll ever add, probably!

Just wanted to offer it as an option for you. I think for the features/price, it's great!

Good luck with your choice!

Very Cute! In an above message Julie said one book is about 1 GB so that would hold 2 books.. Are you able to delete and upload more to your hearts :heart: content?

anne

Stonington
10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm a big iPod fan...I have a big old clunky 4th gen iPod and though I adore it, I would looooove to have a nano, and now is the time to buy, as the previous generation nanos are dirt cheap at the Apple store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=AA9C1546&nclm=Certified). :thumbsup:

To give you an idea of how much they can hold -- I just put an audio book on my iPod and the entire thing (12 CDs) takes up 1GB of space.

I just went to the Apple site and they are offering "reconditioned" 2 gb for $99.. will have to price around a bit.

Thanks!

Stonington
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a Nano (1st generation) and a shuffle (it was free!). I use the Nano more because it is easier to pick what I want to listen too. The new Nano also play video... I checked them out last week and they are sooo cool. I wish they had a trade-in program.

My Dad's car has a jack to plug in an MP3 player. My car does not so I don't use mine in the car... but my ride to work is only about 15 minutes.

candice

Candi- my nephew recommended the Nano...
My car does not have the jack either..:pout: I wonder if there is an adapter ... hmm will have to search - kind of suprised it did not come with one it is a 2006-think they would be an almost standard item lol.

Sharly
10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Anne - yes, it is very simple to use. I just use window's media for managing the files.

You can also add books a few chapters at a time, if you choose to do so. That way you can have music, as well. I must confess - I haven't actually loaded an entire book. I did download some chapters for free from Librivox and it seemed worked well. After I listened, I just deleted them off :)

I keep the player and the cords (I also bought an adapter so I can charge it straight from an electrical outlet) all stored in a little makeup bag that's also pink!

lucky_alf2
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a Nano and like it alot. DH has the bigger ipod (I forget it's name) -- he travels overseas sometimes so thi way he sould download movies or whatever). I'd recommend really thinking about what feature you want, the size you want, as well as in what other capacities you might use it. I'm glad mine isn't as big as DHs. I originally got mine mainly for walking the dog (so I could listen to music), but now, a year later, I wear to the gym, listen to it in the car, etc. I just started puting books and radio shows on it too. I do sometimes wish it had a radio -- just in case I want to listen it and at the gym you can tune into the TVs via a posted radio freq. I also had to buy different earphones as my ears just won't take those buds that everyone uses these days.

My new car (2007) also doesn't have jack -- which surprised me. We bought a thing for long trips that you plug into the cigarette lighter -- your ipod plugs into it and then it broadcasts whatever the ipod is playing on a radio frequency which you then tune into via your radio. It works OK, although the quality of the sound isn't as good as the unit itself.

auburnchick
10-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Radio Shack sells a good assortment of car adapters. You should be able to find something that would fit your needs.

Also, you can use Windows Explorer to transfer stuff back and forth from SD cards without having to use Windows Media Player. But, with the Apple mp3 players, you'll have to use iTunes.

One thing too...Apple has discounts for people in certain types of business...teachers, students, etc. I bought my macbook pro using my student discount, and I got a free iPod Nano for my son (putting it away for Christmas...shhh!).

You definitely have options...some of the less expensive ones are equally as good as the highly venerated iPod.

iza
10-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Sharly, I love your mp3 player! I'm thinking of getting one, and I also want FM radio on it. I would love an iPod, but I think to have FM radio you need to buy the radio remote, unless I'm mistaken? And I'm not sure I would like to use iTunes. :shrug:

I'll definitely look at the model you have, Sharly! :happydance:

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
For a car adapter you can pick up an FM transmitter at Wally World or similar for about 30 bucks or so. I use one in my rig for both my MP3s and my GPS unit's voice navigation. It works great.

Sharly
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks Iza! I have really enjoyed it. But, everytime I see it, I want a piece of bubblegum! :lol:

I don't know about the Ipod's radio function, I just knew I didn't see one that had FM capability. When I was shopping, I actually made a little spreadsheet to compare the features that were important to me, and this was the one I liked best. They didn't have it in the store (in pink), but I ordered on-line and had it in a couple of days!

annomalley
10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I have a 30G Creative Zen Vision:M, which was about $250 when I bought it. It's got a color screen, holds 30G worth of files, has an FM tuner, and you can store photos and video files on it. I like it a lot, but the downside is that when you install the software on your computer, you have to plug the player into your computer to go navigate through Windows Explorer and if you keep hitting the forward button, it can freeze up on you and then you have to reset it. It will only play mp3's, though. Anything you'd buy from iTunes won't play on it, either (because they're not in mp3 format).

I have a big player because I have a lot of music and I wanted to have one central place for it without having to lug memory cards around.

auburnchick
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
If you buy iTunes songs, burn them to a CD and then rip them into Windows Media Player. Voila! Your iTunes songs can then be used on your non-iPod mp3 player!

dakatzmeow
10-06-2007, 08:36 PM
i have one like sharly's, only it's black with blue controls, and it is 4Gb. so far, i've only filled up 1.27Gb or so and i have a LOT of music on there. i gave $160 last christmas. (right after 12/25)

lizardknits
10-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I got a sansa c200 series a couple of days ago and I love it. It was a birthday present. I only have songs on it for now, and only 22, but still.....

BinkyKat
10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a Sansa "SanDisk" http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7995468&type=product&id=1155070321394
and I have been very happy with it. I am sad, though, because I got it for my birthday last year and while still at my old job where I could listen to the radio on earphones all day. Then two months later I got my current job and don't get to use it at work. But...I use whenever I can otherwise. I am a techno-dingbat, but just messing around with it I have gotten several cd's copied to it. I haven't done the podcast or buying mp3's to load to it.
My 2 cents...:thumbsup:

annomalley
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
If you buy iTunes songs, burn them to a CD and then rip them into Windows Media Player. Voila! Your iTunes songs can then be used on your non-iPod mp3 player!

Thanks for the info! I didn't know you could do that.

Stonington
10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a 30G Creative Zen Vision:M, which was about $250 when I bought it. It's got a color screen, holds 30G worth of files, has an FM tuner, and you can store photos and video files on it. I like it a lot, but the downside is that when you install the software on your computer, you have to plug the player into your computer to go navigate through Windows Explorer and if you keep hitting the forward button, it can freeze up on you and then you have to reset it. It will only play mp3's, though. Anything you'd buy from iTunes won't play on it, either (because they're not in mp3 format).

I have a big player because I have a lot of music and I wanted to have one central place for it without having to lug memory cards around.

Wow:passedout: 30Gs and I was thinking 4 would be great lol. So many options. Thanks for the info! anne

Arlene
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone, I am soooo lost. I received a mp3 player for christmas and am trying to save a episode of "cast-on" in the "windows media player 11" so I can then put it on my "mp3 player". I think it gets saved to the "library" but I cannot figure out how to do this.
Can anyone help me out, please?????
Take care,
Arlene

Dangles
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
DH got me the Apple iTouch. I love it. I can surf the net via wifi, watch movies, listen to music, podcasts etc. You can always check the Apple website for refurbished iPods; they have a warranty on them as well. I got a FM transmitter package (brand: Belkin) @ Costco. With FM transmitters they vary as some may be a bargin but you get a lot of static and what not. Find a place with a decent return policy should that transmitter is not to your liking. Some transmitters are plugged in to your cig. lighter, some are plugged in your headphone jack and is battery operated. Mind you cig. lighter one will charge your iPod.

HTH.

Arlene
01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Dangles,

I am totally lost with figuring out how to really use this. I did manage to put "my pictures" and rip a cd album that I already owned but cannot figure out how to save a podcast to then put into my mp3 player. The player I have works fine.....it is me who is doing something wrong. I just ordered two books from Amazon on how to use the player and also Windows Media Player. Hopefully they are user friendly books. Wish me luck!

Take care,
Arlene:whoosh:

dakatzmeow
01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
i've had good luck with creative zen products. i started out a year ago with a 4gb zen player. this christmas, we bought a 2gb zen and 2 1gb zen stones (little bitty ones) for a teenager and my 2 little girls.

after christmas, when i was finally able to spend some christmas money on MYSELF, ;) i upgraded to the 8gb zen microphoto and gave hubs my 4gb one to listen to in his truck. the odd man out in our family is 11yo stepson, who purchased an ilo brand player. i didn't know how to load it. :aww: the zens are so easy, i had to sit down for about an hour before i mastered his ilo.

(you may have noticed i am somehow the designated music-loader-upper in the family now.)

The.Knitter
01-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I got an iPod Shuffle for Christmas and I love it. The sound quality is great and this thing is soooo tiny. I am thrilled with it! I already have about 130 songs on it (but I knew before Christmas I was getting it so I downloaded every song I have ever wanted to listen to while knitting and stored them to dump onto the iPod once I actually got it). I use LimeWire Pro to download songs and then transfer them into iTunes to put onto my machine. LimeWire has a free download section or you can buy the professional.

Good luck to you!

cristina61
01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone, I am soooo lost. I received a mp3 player for christmas and am trying to save a episode of "cast-on" in the "windows media player 11" so I can then put it on my "mp3 player". I think it gets saved to the "library" but I cannot figure out how to do this.
Can anyone help me out, please?????
Take care,
Arlene

Hi Arlene,

I can empathize with your confusion! I also had a tough time juggling my mp3 player (a Sandisk Sansa, which I love to listen to when I'm washing dishes) and Windows Media Player, but hopefully my experience can help you.

When I save my podcasts (or whatever) I right click on it and then click "Save Link As." I then save it to a file in My Music that I've named Knitting Podcasts Audio.

After it has loaded, I then go into Windows Media Player and under "File" go to "Add To Library." There should be a listing there of files where your computer will look to add new stuff to the WMP library. You can manually add files to this list; I manually added Knitting Podcasts Audio. So I click "Okay" and then wait a minute for it to find the new files.

You can then go to the little list on the left side of the library screen and click "Recently Added" and your podcast should be there!

I'm not sure what type of mp3 player you have, but if it's like mine you can then plug it into the USB on your computer and manage your files with Windows Media Player, adding and deleting music and podcasts quite easily.

I hope this helps you!

cristina61
01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
The very coolest thing I've done with my Sandisk Sansa is use it to listen some music I hadn't heard since I was a little kid!

Awhile back I bought myself one of those USB turntables. It plugs into my computer and I can put old LPs, 45s, and even 78s on it and convert them into digital audio files! From there it's an easy step to load them onto my mp3 player, but it's a strange feeling to hear such old music playing on 21st century technology (I love it!)

I'm talking about old records from the 1950s and '60s -- stuff that's admittedly pretty cheesy and/or moldy :roll: but, hey . . . I'm talking childhood nostalgia!

Does anybody remember **** Contino and his accordion?

:teehee: :hiding:

Arlene
01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Christine,
I have a Sony so it should be no problem. I am going to try doing it your way. Last night I hit sync and it was doing something for about 20 minutes and loading it into my mp3. I was shocked to say the least when I saw that what sync had done was make a list of everything that I have in "my docs" that had a picture and that is what it put on my player. It took me over an hour to delete the mess. I do not have a cd burner so "my docs" is jammed with knitting lessons, patterns and instructions. I am determined to understand the procedure and not ready to give up......yet.

Take care,
Arlene