PDA

View Full Version : KnittingHelp Monthly Challenge - October

Braden
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I am so sorry this is late, but I've been having some personal issues. Anyway, here it is!

This month's challenge will be...

MITTENS!

Mittens are great travel projects, as well as being great for gifts. They are great to use up little odd bits of wool, and can be knit at any gauge you choose.

There are many designs available to you, many of them at KnittingPatternCentral.com. A great source for many patterns.

My favorite mitten design are Elizabeth Zimmermann's Norwegian Mittens from The Knitters' Almanac. They are stranded and very nice. Also, there is a whole chapter on mittens that gives all of her journal entries and about 5 designs on the subject.

I'm sorry to say I'll also be sitting this one out, because I am very busy with schoolwork and I have way too many WIP's to start a pair of mittens.

Good luck to all of you!

stirsmommy
10-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Yep I am gonna need mittens! Now to see if I can figure out how to work them in among the rest of the projects. They just have to be on my wish list.

rissa
10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I have so much to do for Christmas...but I think I might deviate every now and then for this one. I'm thinking fingerless mitts...if you think that would apply?

knitncook
10-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I have a few fingerless gloves/mittens I need to get through. I know the concept, just need the motivation!

Braden
10-05-2007, 07:02 PM
This challenge was inspired by Amy, who said mittens were a great idea and would be good for Autumn. I hope everybody likes this challenge!

gingerbread
10-06-2007, 07:57 AM
This is going to be a good challenge for me. I make socks and thought they would be hard. Nope and I haven't stopped making them. But I really am scared making mittens. So this is going to be great for mecloud9 I know that I can get all the help I need:happydance:. So I am off to find a pattern for mittens. I just thought of the ones on knitty gritty might try those.:p Any I am in on this kal. Sorry to here conti that you won't be able to join this one,but school comes first.:p

rissa
10-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm in I think, lol. I thought I'd do these (http://www.knitpicks.com/Queen+of+Diamonds+Gloves_PD50554220.html) from Knit Picks. I tried to get thru the first couple rows last night and while I fully understand the stitches it was difficult for me to get thru. Thinking I'll frog what I did and start over now that I've gotten some sleep. :wink:

Jan in CA
10-06-2007, 01:22 PM
This is a great project for October! I've never made mittens so I might give this a try.

We all understand and even though you can't join I'm sure you'll be around to support and help occasionally. :hug:

:psst: Get crackin' on that schoolwork! ;)

I'm sorry to say I'll also be sitting this one out, because I am very busy with schoolwork and I have way too many WIP's to start a pair of mittens.

Good luck to all of you!

Braden
10-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Not only occasionally, but all the time! I'll be glad to help with any troubles or complications you have.

I do feel bad about not being able to join in. I feel that, as the "unofficial challenge coordinater" that I'm obligated to work the challenges along with everyone else. Is that alright?

rissa
10-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I think thats more than alright :) I was having some problems with the ruffly edges in the first two rows. I think its mostly because of the way it is the first couple rows with dpns..and its my first try with the smaller sized dpns. I decided, since my hands are a little larger than most women's I'd use the next size up, makes me feel a little more comfortable knitting..and things are going on swimmingly!

I've gotten past the ruffly edges and am halfway thru a chevron lace pattern that will be on the wrist! :cheering:

Braden
10-06-2007, 04:51 PM
If you have trouble working with the smaller dpn's, work a flat swatch with them for a while until you get comfortable with them. Then start knitting in the round. No need to get used to something new while trying to work around on 4 or 5 dpn's, right?

rissa
10-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Thats a very good suggestion! I should have done that, lol. I had already started and worked out my kinks..and it looks good, so I'm going with it! :cheering:

I'm having one problem with the pattern listed here (http://www.knitpicks.com/Queen+of+Diamonds+Gloves_PD50554220.html). I am doing the right glove, and right where it says hand increases it says to place marker before doing round 1, as well as in the middle of the round. There is one other marker placed in round 10 so I now have 3 markers. Starting in round 15 it says to k to marker, sm, k14...etc.

Its not stating which marker. I'm kinda trying to read into the pattern more than it is actually saying as its not super clear. It does say for the right hand that you are knitting from the thumb, across the palm, then across the top of the hand. So, I'm assuming it means to knit to the marker that was placed in the middle of round 1 as you want the eyelets to be on the top of the hand. Am I reading this right? :??

vaknitter
10-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I've never done a KAL before and I am sooo excited b/c I want to knit mittens sooo bad. I am prone to cold hands and feet so I LOVE mittens and it is very hard to find cute ones in the stores.

Any suggestions on what to use for yarn? I'm thinking something warm and washable - maybe a superwash merino...I have 2 puppers and am a little OCD about washing things.

Mulderknitter
10-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Holy moley! a KAL I have already tackled! For everyone, mittens are so easy! I knit a pair in a weekend! I used the pattern from the book Weekend Knitting, which btw has tons of great easy patterns in it. I used bulky yarn and they were done in about 2 1/2 days.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture043.jpg
They are a part of a set of gifts for my mom. they ended up a bit big, but for snow shoveling or such they will be great!
Do not be afraid of mittens! If I can do them, I swear, anyone can. I trip UP steps, so there you go!

Jan in CA
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Not only occasionally, but all the time! I'll be glad to help with any troubles or complications you have.

I do feel bad about not being able to join in. I feel that, as the "unofficial challenge coordinater" that I'm obligated to work the challenges along with everyone else. Is that alright?

It's absolutely all right. There is no rule that you have to join in, just be here to help. ;) :hug:

jeanius80
10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
mulderknitter- me too! i just made peekaboo mittens (from magknits.com, in the archives)

i highly recomend the pattern! SO EASY AND FAST! i used about half a skein of malabrigo worsted weight yarn. here is a pic :
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1206/1414628995_ad719e9017.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1430/1415511778_f124fea6f0.jpg

rissa
10-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Mulderknitter and Jeanius80 those are great mittens! :cheering:
I'm considering making mine fingerless mitts instead of fingerless gloves. Less work, and I like the look and feel of them better than having something between my fingers, hehe. More mobility I guess. :teehee:

Braden
10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Both of your mittens look great!

Rissa, I would take it to mean the next marker that you come to after the knit 14.

MaleKnitter
10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
oooh, my niece (19) asked me for some mittens for her birthday which is October 25 and i just barely got a pattern from creative knitting. Okay, well i know what she is getting for her birthday. :happydance:

MaleKnitter
10-07-2007, 06:47 PM
oh, and i never gave any kudos to the wonderfull FOs that have been posted so far. Good Job everyone

Mulderknitter
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
This is for the mittens thread... do you ever look at things in a book/pattern and think "there is absolutely no way I can do that" That is how I have felt about anything that requires a shape other than a scarf. Trust me, no matter what you have done, accomplishing something like mittens or gloves is a serious high, especially for those people who hate dpn's and stitch holders combined. :yay:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I made my first pair of mittens last winter. They were for a friend who said that she could never buy mittens/gloves to fit because of her 'short, stubby' fingers. (her words) AND, since she also said that she didn't believe me that WOOL would be warmer than.. acrylic gloves that you can buy.. (no, she's not a knitter.. how did you guess? :D )

I made her a pair of custom fitted WOOL gloves.. and I also made myself ONE GLOVE.. (I got busy knitting Christmas gifts and my other mitten got put on the back-burner for MONTHS) So, I will finish it this winter.

So, I present you one of each mitten.. the 'short, stubby one' and my lone mitten:

THEY ARE EASY.. easy.. easy.. it was the first time that I had made any and I used super thick warm wool yarn.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/iwouldratherbeknitting/knitting042.jpg

Braden
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Your mittens look great!

jeanius80
10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
october KAL button! feel free to copy and resize if it's too big!:mrgreen:

vcufashion419
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm tempted to try this because I have been wanting to work on dpn for some time just haven't had the time or courage to try.....any one have a really easy pattern?? Lots of yarn in my stash I could use up on this. Maybe some bitty ones for my baby niece??

Braden
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks! It looks great!

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks Braden.. have you made any mittens yet?

vcufashion419
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
How is everyone doing on their mittens? I plan to start this weekend on mine, I have to go get some DPN to play with. I've never used them before!!!:knitting:

rissa
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I've knit almost to the knuckles on my first one..but got side tracked a little. I have 9 scarves to complete for Christmas..and I really need to work on those. I'll try to get them done by the end of October though...maybe I'll work on them more this weekend. :)

Braden
10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I have indeed made mittens before, but this was before we got a digital camera and I had gifted them. I've made about 4 pairs in my total knitting life.

Good luck to everybody! I'll be around every day (give or take, of course) to answer questions that pop up.

tootie44
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much for this challenge! I started and finished mittens for my son this weekend. They were easy and fast! I also made an i-cord to thread through his coat sleeves so he won't lose them. They are based on this pattern (http://www.vintageknits.com/mitten.htm).

Braden
10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
They look great! I'd never thought about doing a cord before, what a great idea for little children.

jeanius80
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
those are fantastic mittens! the cord is genius too!

MommaG
10-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Here are my first ever mittens and I made a second pair already. The pattern is so easy to do http://www.woolencollectibles.com/infoglueDeliverLive/Products/Patterns/Knitting/Free+Samples/Mittens
The first pair I made for my daughter and the pattern was for womens size so I just kinda guessed for the size for and I think I did ok. The second pair I made for my son. He likes them and I think my daughter likes hers.

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-15-2007, 07:49 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/iwouldratherbeknitting/knitting039-1.jpgHere are some new born baby 'mitts' w/ a string that I made last year for a co-worker's (teacher) baby that was born in January.

Braden
10-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Eveyrbody's mittens look absolutely wonderful!

Braden
10-21-2007, 01:08 PM
ummm, *bump*

debinoz
10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
I've made 4 bath mitts in the last week... do they count??

Krystal
10-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Here is my very first mitten. I am using the House Mitten (http://woolyheaded-patterns.blogspot.com/) pattern. And I like it alot. This is my very first time using DPNS. It's ok. I don't care for them poking me in the boobs all the time... :teehee: I am about half way done the second mitten, and I tried it on, and for some reason it is too big, and bulging. So I have to go back. But at least the first one came out nice. :woohoo:I am knitting a scarf (Liesel) in the same yarn, and I needed a break from that lace pattern. So this was a nice respite.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/krystal_pare/mitten-2.jpg

jeanius80
10-21-2007, 11:34 PM
those are all great! and i think bath mitts definantly count ;)

kristin- i totally know what you mean about DPNs getting a little fresh :teehee:

MaleKnitter
10-22-2007, 03:00 AM
MY MITTENS ARE DONE!!! :woot:

The pattern for my mittens came from "Creative Knitting" which I bought at the grocery store. I ended up using Caron Simply Soft and my new ADDI TURBO circular needle. OH I LOVE IT, it's sooo smooth and fast, I made these mittens during the course of 2 movies on HBO.

Anyway, the mittens are going to my niece for her birthday in a few days, I am also making her a hat and scarf so I will put these on the Watcha knittin' forum when the entire set is completed.

This was my first Knit-Along and I LOVED IT
THANK YOU

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-22-2007, 05:02 AM
great job.. I love that blue color and the red striped mitts are SOOOOO cute!

At least everyone will be ready for cold weather when it starts.. (of course.. I only have the ONE FINISHED MITTEN) so.. I might not be as prepared as the rest of you are.:teehee:

Braden
10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Those look great! I especially like the colors.