PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart Ditching Knitters

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 01:41 PM
It looks like Wal Mart, at least the one here, doesn't want the knitter's business any more. I just got back from there and was complaining about the lack of selections regarding yarn, which was more pathetic than usual for them.

The clerk who was stocking the shelves told me that it's far more than they will have in a couple of more months. She said that they are scaling it down and will only have four feet of shelf space dedicated to yarn. Four feet!

I told her that I supposed that's just one more reason for me to stop shopping there. I really wish I had the resources to open a yarn shop here in town. We don't have a single one, not even a Jo Ann's. I'd make a killing.

Wal Mart could close their doors tomorrow for all I care now. They don't want my business any more.

letah75
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Amen brother!

mwhite
10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree with you and stay away from Walmart as much as possible. I know there are die-hard Wallyworld people but as a former sewing room worker and Rose's employee, it's terrible to watch a single company cut out competitors only to bring pricing back up. Manufacturers also produce products for Walmart at lower quality values to meet their demand. Mary

jjminarcik
10-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I just finished reading a book called The Wal-Mart Effect. I've shopped at Wal-Mart for years and never really thought about it. But after reading this book, I will NEVER shop there again. EVER. It's been 2 months since I have been in one of their stores and I cringe every time I drive by one. :gah:

debinoz
10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
The yarn section at my closest wal-mart is about the same size. They've added lion wool, chennille and something else, but got rid of some of the super bulky yarn they carried.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I just finished reading a book called The Wal-Mart Effect. I've shopped at Wal-Mart for years and never really thought about it. But after reading this book, I will NEVER shop there again. EVER. It's been 2 months since I have been in one of their stores and I cringe every time I drive by one. :gah:

While I do agree with some things in that book, it's quite heavy on spin and isn't entirely accurate on a lot of points. You have to take a lot of it with a huge grain of salt. But I do agree that in many ways Wal Mart is not always good for the local economy.

suzeeq
10-05-2007, 02:33 PM
My closest store hasn't changed much; a larger store opened up on the other side of town last year and it never did have as much yarn and fabrics as the one closer to me.

misha rf
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
They just remodeled the one in town, and cut the yarn section waaaay back. But the one on the other side of us hasn't been redone at all, and they still have their full yarn/material/craft section.

Rorshach
10-05-2007, 02:37 PM
A huge grain of salt? so a Deer lick then? seriously, there are some things that I still go to my local wally world for, but yarn isn't one of them, ours already only has a 4 foot selection.

Pat in Ca
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Sad that they are scaling down on yarn..I think Walmart gets a bad rap because the workers unions have a propoganda campaign against them.. Walmart provides goods at an affordable price for a broad base of consumers..Walmart has been given credit for keeping inflation down.. competition is good for the economy and good for consumers.. that may not be able to shop at "higher priced stores".. have you heard about their $4 prescription program..?

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Sad that they are scaling down on yarn..I think Walmart gets a bad rap because the workers unions have a propoganda campaign against them.. Walmart provides goods at an affordable price for a broad base of consumers..Walmart has been given credit for keeping inflation down.. competition is good for the economy and good for consumers.. that may not be able to shop at "higher priced stores".. have you heard about their $4 prescription program..?

I agree Wal Mart isn't all bad, but having done business with them in the past (not just being a customer) I can say that their business practices leave a lot to be desired. I swore that I would never conduct business with them ever again.

suzeeq
10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
The issue with Walmart isn't just how they treat their employees, but also how they treat their vendors. They make demands on them to downsize packaging (ever notice yarn skeins getting smaller?) in order to keep pricing lower. That's just one of several issues.

I do shop there, but not very much; only a few things I buy there regularly. They're good for dropping off plastic bags in the recycle bin though....

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
The issue with Walmart isn't just how they treat their employees, but also how they treat their vendors. They make demands on them to downsize packaging (ever notice yarn skeins getting smaller?) in order to keep pricing lower. That's just one of several issues.

I do shop there, but not very much; only a few things I buy there regularly. They're good for dropping off plastic bags in the recycle bin though....

Some of their unreasonable demands is why I refuse to do any further business with them.

sinistral_needler
10-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I have not liked WalMart for a long time due to their employment practices, and due to how they treat their vendors (I work for one) I like them even less. And now the downsizing of the craft section.

Walmart will see a downturn .. it will not always be happy days in Wa-La-Land

stitchwitch
10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I'll admit, I used to shop at Walmart for just about everything. Then just over a year ago a light went on and I said enough. I just can't stand the lack of quality (got spoiled food more than once) and the over grossness (not a word, I know) of the place in general. I just quit going there and you know what, I don't notice a change in my spending habits which means I find the same things at my supermarket or drugstore for the same price. If I never go into another Walmart again it will be too soon.

iza
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Wal Mart can be useful for some people I'm sure, but I avoid going there as much as I can. I don't like the way they treat employees, and I don't like their business practices.

They have this new program called "bought in Quebec" to make people believe they are buying local products... But often, it's actually products made outside of Canada, that are bought by a local intermediary, which in turn sell them to Wal-Mart. :wall:

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Wal Mart can be useful for some people I'm sure, but I avoid going there as much as I can. I don't like the way they treat employees, and I don't like their business practices.

They have this new program called "bought in Quebec" to make people believe they are buying local products... But often, it's actually products made outside of Canada, that are bought by a local intermediary, which in turn sell them to Wal-Mart. :wall:
That's pretty typical of the shady practices they use. Just barely on this side of legal.

MamaMer
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I have not liked WalMart for a long time due to their employment practices, and due to how they treat their vendors (I work for one) I like them even less. And now the downsizing of the craft section.

Walmart will see a downturn .. it will not always be happy days in Wa-La-Land

According to my WSJ the other day, they already are seeing a downturn:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119135657404946747.html

I don't shop at Walmart for a myriad of reasons, what I have read in books, what I have seen them do to communities, what I have seen in documentaries ( Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price is EXCELLENT) and my brother's personal work experience with them.

They won't go out of business, but they will have to stop this massive growth soon, or face issues.:cheering:

jcmom
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Yep, our local (CA Gold Country) WM recently finished a remodel and really scaled down the yarn section and crafts in general. Living in a small area, the knitting supplies are very limited. I've resorted to online shopping and been very happy with that.

Quiltlady
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
They are getting rid of their fabric dept. too. I don't even bother to go in there anymore. I use to LOVE to buy fabric and yarn when I went in for other things. Now I buy my other things at other stores.

feministmama
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
While I do agree with some things in that book, it's quite heavy on spin and isn't entirely accurate on a lot of points. You have to take a lot of it with a huge grain of salt. But I do agree that in many ways Wal Mart is not always good for the local economy.

Here's a good movie with good resources

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473107/

sinistral_needler
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
They are getting rid of their fabric dept. too. I don't even bother to go in there anymore. I use to LOVE to buy fabric and yarn when I went in for other things. Now I buy my other things at other stores.

I am a hobby lobby NUT now. And I go to my lys if I want something special. So actually, this has opened my eyes to new stores. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

HeatherFeather
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
They even took out all embroidry floss.....I'd had enough....I'm not a "political" person....but this has me really hot. I made an outloud decision to not shop there any more...I've had more problems with more products from them...

A fan that makes a wierd noise after about 6 mos of use, when the one I had to replace I'd had for 15 years...a hairdryer that SPARKED after the second time using it.....hair curlers with HAIR on them......you can't buy a gift card at self check out even WITH managment help when THAT is where the gift cards are located. (that last one was the one that did me in!!!)

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Here's a good movie with good resources

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473107/

I'm familiar with it. Again, I am in no way defending Wally World as I despise them, but that film is also lacking a little as far as factual accuracy is concerned and is very heavy on spin. A lot of it is quite true, but the spin is furious.

I would like to see something similar done with more dedication to factual accuracy without the heavily biased spin and omissions.

Wal Mart sucks bad enough that the same thing could be done without the spin and still be quite damning. Having dealt with their business practices personally I am certain of that. I'm just a big fan of balanced accuracy.

knitncook
10-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Mason, I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-mart in over 3 years (three days after Hurricane Ivan hit was my last time) I haven't missed it! They had no yarn that wasn't carried at one of the big box craft stores, it was never on sale, and they don't have 40% off coupons. Of course I quit shopping there for reasons other than yarn :)

Now according to my friends who still do shop at Wal-mart, only one of them still has fabric and they have all reduced their selections of yarn down to the allotted 4 feet.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Mason, I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-mart in over 3 years (three days after Hurricane Ivan hit was my last time) I haven't missed it! They had no yarn that wasn't carried at one of the big box craft stores, it was never on sale, and they don't have 40% off coupons. Of course I quit shopping there for reasons other than yarn :)

Now according to my friends who still do shop at Wal-mart, only one of them still has fabric and they have all reduced their selections of yarn down to the allotted 4 feet.

Yeah, that's why we seriously need a LYS here.

brendajos
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
The unions have a legitimate claim against Walmart. Walmart has illegally squelched employees from forming a union and has illegally squelched even the talk of forming a union. I know of one documented case where the unions managed to actually get their foot in the door and were about to actually get the union formed in the store and the store was closed.

Competition IS good but only if the playing field is balanced. Walmart doesn't buy its products for one store, it buys for ALL its stores so it can get prices far cheaper than mom & pop shops can. The money doesn't really stay in the community considering that most communities give them tax breaks for opening the stores. The employees may shop their but the money made in the store still goes back to Arkansas.

Walmart today is not the same as it was when Sam started the stores. It wasn't how he envisioned his stores to be. There is clearly room for growth and I am a firm believer in a capitalist society. However the only way that I can express my displeasure, in most cases, about how a business runs itself is by NOT giving my money to them and to give it to someone who doesn't offend me.

And SPEAKING of deceptive marketing... (walmart isnt the only place that does this... and it is prettttty much government sanctioned) We spend a lot of time in this country (USA i mean) demanding products that are American Made. We look for tags indicating that they are American made and believe that means all is good. Unfortunately, our protectorates do not have to follow the same labor laws that we do in this country AND they can slap an American made label on the product. Just because something has the American Made label on something, doesn't mean that fair labor practices were used in the making of the product.

The saddest thing to me, above alllll of the issues with Walmart... is that there are sooooooo many people in this country that don't really care about the products in their homes made in sweatshops. :waah:

umm... and yeah, it wasn't too long ago that they said they were getting rid of their craft departments or hugely reducing the size of their craft departments in most of their stores. (That there was my attempt at unhijacking the thread :teehee:)

brendajos
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
oh wow... i ranted more than i thought i had! :oops:

:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
oh wow... i ranted more than i thought i had! :oops:

:teehee:

On a roll :rofl:

PaperGirl
10-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I used to work at Wal Mart. I was fired unfairly as well.

I worked in the jewelry department, and we replaced batteries, and watchbands, but ONLY for WM brand watches.

This dude brought in a watch, bitched that we wouldnt change the battery, MY manager told me to do it, told the customer we were NOT responsible for damages, cause it wasnt a WM watch, so I did it, and the glass face cracked when I tried to pop the back back on.

Well, my MANAGER apologized to the customer, gave him a new WM watch, and then *I* got in big trouble for changing a NON WM watch!

:hair:

Oh, and my district manager (white) promoted ME (the white girl) to full time with the other 2 Jewelry FT people..(The manager, and the day girl...both Hispanic)

Well, those 2 didnt like it, cause that meant they would get split up, so the both of them got me in trouble one day when I called in saying I would be about 10 minutes late, the told the store manager I was refusing to come in or something...and the STORE manager fired me for not coming in. Even though my department manager told me it was OK, just come in when I got in.
(And I KNOW that Im not just being racist, because the 3rd Hispanic girl that worked there called ME, and told me about this.)

So yeah, I hate Wal Mart. If I have to have something from there, I go to Target, or Sams. Or HEB.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
That's a bit odd because I've had them replace the battery in a non WM watch more than once.

As for the rest, it sounds like the same BS you can find in just about any workplace (and people wonder why I drive a truck).

brendajos
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Sam's is Walmart... Just bigger and more expensive (seriously.)

annomalley
10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I'll admit, I used to shop at Walmart for just about everything. Then just over a year ago a light went on and I said enough. I just can't stand the lack of quality (got spoiled food more than once) and the over grossness (not a word, I know) of the place in general. I just quit going there and you know what, I don't notice a change in my spending habits which means I find the same things at my supermarket or drugstore for the same price. If I never go into another Walmart again it will be too soon.

This is why I don't shop at Wal-Mart all that much. I'll go for things like deoderant or toothpaste or laundry soap or if I don't feel like making a trip up the highway to the mall or target or the big grocery store I usually shop at. I've seen food on the shelves past it's expiration date. Once, I saw a box of cold pills sitting on a shelf that had been opened and taped back up. Once, years ago, I bought some pants for my son, had the zipper break, exchanged them for another pair, only to have the zipper break on those, too! :!!!:

I think things go in cycles and people are seeing that just because it's cheap doesn't necessarily mean it's a good value. I'll pay a few dollars more for something that's higher quality than try to save a few bucks on something that will break right away.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll pay a few dollars more for something that's higher quality than try to save a few bucks on something that will break right away.

That's exactly how I feel and spend my money.

knitncook
10-05-2007, 06:47 PM
So yeah, I hate Wal Mart. If I have to have something from there, I go to Target, or Sams. Or HEB.

Wal-Mart owns Sam's ya know :) I try hard to shop at mom and pop or locally owned franchises so that more of the money stays in my community. I even have problems with Target.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I even have problems with Target.

Can't hit it?

:whistle:

Pat in Ca
10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't have a walmart near me, so I shop at target , but I really can't understand so much hatred for a store... I think it has become the worlds largest retailer because it provides something that people need....it provides many LOW INCOME consumers opportunities to buy products at a low cost....That is a GOOD thing it seems to me..No one is forced to shop there or work there...still sorry to hear they are cutting back on their yarn inventory..A lot of people in rural areas depend on that..

jjminarcik
10-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm just saying that I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore. I have never really liked the store and now it's official. I do agree with Brendajos that Wal-Mart had different intentions when they first opened their doors. But finding out more about their company, statistics, and labor practices it's just not for me. I am glad they are available to some communities that may not have other stores in the area, however; I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

I'm also glad that we've all thrown in our two cents and are still respectful of everyone's opinion. :cheering:

And as someone else said, they don't have 40% off coupons. What's up with that?? :shrug:

Sandi
10-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I guess I'll put in my 2 cents worth from a canadian point of view.

The newest WalMart that opened near me has an entire isle devoted to yarn, both sides!

I don't think WalMart is any different than any other big box store chain.
They operate stores for the sole purpose of "Making Money"
Anyone that thinks otherwise, I'm sorry to say is kidding themselves.

I am a firm believer in "If you don't like your job, find a new one.

People can complain all they want about unfair work pratices, and the lack of quality in their stores.....but if you shop there, you know going into the store that the level of quality, be it merchandise or employment standards are not going to be the same as at a higher end store.

You get what you pay for,

And people treat you the way you allow them to.....

msmelody
10-06-2007, 03:48 AM
I do not shop at Walmart, Sams, Costco, or any of the other big superstores. I live in England. Their version of Walmart is Asda, which does not even have a craft section. I was so sad I almost cried. But that forced me to find the local stores that carry what I need. I love walking into the local stores and they know us as the American family. I do not need Walmart and will probably not shop there when we finally do come back to America.

Speaking of Made in America, I find things here with that label more than I find Made in China.