PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favourite stitch dictionary?

knitgal
10-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm looking to buy a good quality stitch dictionary that I can use for the rest of my life. What do you think is my best option? Which ones do you recommend and which ones should I avoid? Thanks!

Braden
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Barbara Walker's Treasuries are, in my opinion, the only ones you'll ever need. I have all 4, but 1 and 2 are perfect for everything you could possibly want to make.

fargo_knitting
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I have wanted to purchase the Barbara Walker books (1-4). Mainly I am interested in stitch patterns for lace. Would 1 & 2 still be all I need? I wish I could page through them to see if they are what I am looking for. :nails:

Mulderknitter
10-05-2007, 05:51 PM
If you are into cables, I highly recommend Cables Untangled. I have used it for patterns and the great dictionary in the back.

Knitting_Guy
10-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Stitches come in dictionaries? I thought you had to actually knit them. :zombie:

knitgal
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Funnily enough Mulderknitter, I HAVE Cables Untangled! I'm actually knitting the reversible scarf from it right now. It does have a great dictionary in the back, but I'm looking for more of a stitch dictionary with more than cables (although I LOVE cables!).

Braden
10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
If you want stitch dictionaries with a fantastic spread of knit/purl combinations, cables, lace, lots more, than Barbara Walker's first and secont Treasuries are what you need.

CindyS
10-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm hoping to get a nice stitch dictionary for Hanukkah this year...I've added the Barbara Walker treasuries to my Kaboodle...think DH will notice?

Aliann
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
You also might try Stitchionary Vols. 1-3 and the Encyclopedia of Knitting.

simplethings
10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I love the Vogue Stitchionary 1-3. More on an aesthetic level though. Really great pictures and colors and clear, basic, easy to follow instructions.
There's almost zero commentary, narrative, or side notes, which I think is the biggest fault of the series, but, their beauty and organization easily make up for it.
Another thing I like about the books is that they use the same weight yarn for each swatch and it is well photographed in full color. It gives you a very vivid idea on how your pattern will turn out.
The Stitchionaries are useful as stitch dictionaries but they also make great coffee table books. I think even non-knitters can appreciate them. ^_^

The first book contains basic to advanced patterns consisting of knits and purls (and a few YOs). Ribbing, lace, chevron, herringbone, etc.
The second book focuses on cables.
The third focuses on colors.

Braden
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
That's why I prefer Barbar Walker's to Stitchionary. Barbara gives lots of commentary at the beginning of each chapter, and information about the stithes within.

laptop_knitter
10-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Isn't there a set of 3 Harmony guides coming out soon - Knit and Purl (250stitches),cables and aran (250 stitches)and lace and eyelet (250). KnittingDaily is sponsoring themI think.

newamy
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Another vote for Barbara Walker- I have 1 and 2. Sometimes I just look at them for fun.

stagebear
10-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I have the first Stitchionary and love it. I like that the swatches are all the same weight and color (although different shades) - it makes me choose the pattern I want rather than a yarn or color to draw me in.

DreamWeaver
10-06-2007, 01:28 AM
I used to have a really good stitch-dictionary, but I lost it (I do that a lot). But I remember bringing it to school and everyone just pouring over all of the pretty pictures. Lots of "oooh, that's a pretty design" and "look at that! They are making pictures without using color! That's so cool!". It was really amusing, because those people didn't even knit. Just another way that knitting is awesome ^_^

jodstr2
10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
I love the 3 Stitchionaries and the 365 Knitting Stitches page-a-day calendar.

chrislt8
10-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Gee Knitgal - I was just coming on to post this very question!

I am torn between the Vogue and Barbara Walker sets and will be interested in all the responses to your question :-)