PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old with a broken arm

ChrissyB
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, I need to get this out, and I like this site, even though I don't post much. So I hope you don't mind if I babble a little. My 2 1/2 year old son broke his arm yesterday, and I feel like a failure. We were at the park, he was climbing something he has climbed many time, and slipped. He didn't fall far, but he fell hard, and broke his right radius, snapped it right in half. I was RIGHT there, less than 2 feet away, it just happened so fast. He is my only baby, and I am a very protective mom. I cloth diapered, made my own baby food, buy organic, ban soda, all to keep him healthy. I always let him play and climb at the park because I want him to be adventurous and confindent, something I am not. He has dealt with the whole thing so well, such a trooper!! The doctor actually didn't think it was broken because Logan let hime move it all around and poke, but the xrays showed a different picture. The Ortho we saw says it should heal just fine, his being so young works in his favor. So he picked a nice red cast that runs from his knuckles to his shoulder, on his right, and yes he is right handed.
Now, to make me feel even worse, we went shopping today and I got several looks from other families as if to say "what kind of parent lets a kid that young break an arm". I guess I know these things happen with kids, but why mine? And why do people have to give me those looks that make me feel like dirt on their shoes. Thanks for letting me rant.

sugarfunpouch
10-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Relax, it's okay. Nobody's perfect. My best friend's mom was watching her 20 month daughter walk outside. She slipped and fell on the concrete! She broke her arm, and the mom did the same thing as you're doing now. (Not in a bad way or anything) She will be fine, I promise.

Ingrid
10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
These things happen. Don't deal yourself guilt! A kid without bruises is a kid that isn't active enough. He'll heal just fine. Let yourself heal, too.

As for other people pfttttt!

Knitting_Guy
10-06-2007, 10:04 PM
He's a guy and guys do that sort of thing. Get used to it because it probably won't be the only injury he ever has. We guys are good at that sort of thing. In a few years he'll be bragging about it.

My mom was on a first name basis with the ER staff when I was growing up :rofl:

Feef
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry Logan was injured, but how cool is THAT to have a red cast?!? Mine were plain, icky, itchy-around-the-edges white when I had one (twice).

Children aren't the only ones who can be mean; adults can be vicious. Heck with 'em. You know the truth, so stand in that.

sugarfunpouch
10-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Go feef!

Doodknitwit
10-06-2007, 10:59 PM
haven't had kids!!! Don't beat yourself up!!!:waving:

Riss
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
When I was 4 I think... I was walking with my mom and was wearing a new dress. She was holding my hand when I went to jump into a puddle. She yanked up, and broke my wrist. I'm 23, and she's my best friend. I don't love her any less for it, and honestly, I don't remember anyone giving her crap for it.

Just remember that just because he's broken, doesn't mean that you're a bad mother. Just tell whoever says stuff that he's exceptionally smart and adventurous for his age and was exploring. They don't have to know that it was something he'd done a million times.

*hug* It'll be okay. I promise. Stay strong.

AnnaT
10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
These things happen. Don't deal yourself guilt! A kid without bruises is a kid that isn't active enough. He'll heal just fine. Let yourself heal, too.

As for other people pfttttt!

Perfect post, couldn't have said it better.

And as hard as it must be to stand aside sometimes, I think that constantly saying "Oh no, honey, you'll hurt yourself" is a million times more damaging than a broken arm. I had a friend who always took that approach with her active boy and I just cringed every time. :sad:

kristinw
10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh Crissy, that is awful :hug::hug:You didn't do anything wrong though. I get so nervous with my little guy climbing on everything (he is such a monkey). But that's what toddlers do. It could have happened to anyone and even if you were standing right there. You're a good mama! :hug:

newamy
10-06-2007, 11:15 PM
When my son was 4 he was sitting on the arm of the couch, I told him he ought to not sit there, but I didn't make him get down, then from about 8 feet across the room I watched him fall, not far, on to cushy carpet and break his arm. He was holding a toy so didn't try to catch himself and fell wrong. It was awful. He had to have a pin put in.
He also had a very minor broken wrist when he was 2. He was reaching for something on wooden stairs, slipped upwards, not down, and hit his arm bad. He then took a nap, When he woke up he was favoring it. So I took him to the doctor and the x ray showed a very minor break, that I could have missed if I hadn't been watchful.
He also knocked out a tooth when he was 10.
He's just accident prone.
None of the above counts all the surgeries and proceedures he's had that were "planned".

You're son will do fine. He'll get lots of attention and get well presents.

sugarfunpouch
10-06-2007, 11:25 PM
No offense newamy, but that is pretty funny! :rofl:

momwolf
10-06-2007, 11:56 PM
When my son was 2 we were walking off the elevator at the kids DR.s office and he tripped and hit his head on a table and cut his nose bridge right between the eyes.They wanted to put 2 sts in but I told them to just put butterfly bandages on.They were very nice to me(ha ha sue sue) and the table was removed .The same son fell off the bunkbed ladder onto his little brother (15 months )and broke his little brother's leg:doh:
cast up to his hip.:eyes: One had a black eye from throwing a ball again a brick wall. One smashed a toe and had to have his toenail removed and sts put in his toe( he dropped the kitchen bar stool on it. One had a kite he was flying hit him in the eye.The list goes on and on:eyes:All that some 30 some years ago and they still laugh about all of it.No matter how good you watch them they are gonna hurt themself sooner or later no matter what.Boys especially :roll: Don't feel bad about other people starring at you for all they know he could of had some surgery or something to fix a birth defect.People are people and they just can't seem to quit judging other people.What is a parent to do?:shrug:

Dangles
10-07-2007, 03:30 AM
:hug: Chrissy. Sorry to hear Logan had a boo boo. He'll be find and heal ok. You are a wonderful mother. Ignore those people ... dang those who assume, sheesh.

Knitting_Guy
10-07-2007, 08:53 AM
That's where the old expression comes from "Boys will be boys".

Don't be over protective and kill his sense of adventure. That's worse than any broken bone.

zkimom
10-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your little guy's broken arm.

Don't beat yourself up about it too much.

Last spring 2 of the boys in my dd's 2nd grade class broke their arms falling off a play structure in the play yard.

Then this summer one of the guys who works for my dh got a phone call while on the road for us that his 4 yo ds broke his arm in three places cause his Gramma accidentally sat on him. :zombie:

These things happen.

Your little guy will be fine and the red cast will be a memory and a story to share when he gets older.

Best,
Susan (who after one false step managed to rupture her achilles tendon and spent half the summer in a lovely purple cast)

dustinac
10-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I hope Logan feels better soon... I know as a mom we tend to beat ourselves up...but like others said you didn't do anything wrong...and you have to let them be active...:hug:

my son is very cautious... it's my little girl that is always swinging from something or jumping off something...:teehee:

HollyP
10-07-2007, 09:54 AM
:hug::hug: one for you and one for Logan! You are not a bad Mom! Accidents happen.
When my youngest brother was 2 he broke his arm falling from a slide ladder while my mom was right next to him. A year later he broke the same arm on the same ladder with my Dad standing less than 3 feet away from him. I actually think he jumped the 2nd time. My brother healed very well and you would never ever know now looking at him that that arm had been broken twice.

Take care of yourself and your baby. He sounds like a trooper as my Gram used to always say!

stitchwitch
10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Bah! Don't let it freak you out. People may be looking to just be looking and they might not be thinking bad things at all. For what it's worth, I broke my collar bone doing a triple gainer off of my high chair at 18 months. Mom was right there, saw the whole thing but didn't dive as fast as I did. :roflhard: To this day the poor woman feels bad about it and I'm 40. I don't remember anything about it. I also rammed my first tooth right through my lip while trying to run on unsteady feet and have a nice scar, none of it was anybody's fault. Those were just the first of many, many things that have happened to me over the years. I was an active child and still am an active adult. He'll be fine, you'll be fine, don't let other people worry you.

ChrissyB
10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you all so much for your nice words :muah: I definatly feel a little better about it today. I definatly dont want Logan to stop being who he is, adventurouse and active, so I guess I better get used to it. Thanks again everyone!

BinkyKat
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
You're a great mom!!! A bad one wouldn't have taken the little guy in

I broke my arm in two places on the big bone of my left arm when I was 5. My mom for some reason thinks to this day the neighbor girl was too rough with me, but several of us kids were playing in their kiddy pool...I tried to do a cartwheel in the water. I remember my hands slipping and somehow pretzelling my arms and snap! :doh: I don't remember the pain. I guess Mom says I was cradling my arm and it was swollen so she took me in. I remember coming completely unglued in the ER but laying still during the casting. They had to have given me some happy pills or something...Mom doesn't remember.
Things happen fast, kids goof around. I have never broken any bones since and hope I never do. Since I was so young, I thankfully have no recollection of the pain...the itching inside the gawdawful plaster cast and the funny floaty feeling my arm had after it came of I still remember tho.:shrug:
I guess my dh says he fell out of his crib once, all was fine but later his mom picked him up and he hollered. Somehow he cracked his collar bone. Nowadays I think his parents would have been strung up by their toes even though he was precotious and a climbing monkey (still is), it's sad that we have to live with so much fear about injuries kids get on their own or by total innocent accident.
Hope the little sprout heals fast and feels good. Mine happened on the 4th of July, I remember eating lots of popsicles, but was sad because I had to stay inside that night and missed the fireworks.

eta: a boy from across the street, a few years later and a couple years younger than me (I think three at the time) broke both his legs jumping down his basement steps on a dare. The moms in the neighborhood say his goofy brother for pushing him, but this kid has been a daredevil his whole life. Saturday evenings you were pretty much guaranteed a show of him running naked from his house because he wouldn't take a bath. I wonder what became of him...that would be a good story for a girlfriend...lol

projectgal
10-07-2007, 05:11 PM
My 3 year old broke his left femur a few weeks ago. These things happen, and it's not your fault. But don't you want to just put them in a plastic bubble for a while?

My guy's cast is from his rib cage to his ankle on the left side and to his knee on the right. I've found there is a big difference between concern and curiousity. I'm starting to just ignore or avoid the curious ones.

One of the first things I did was find an alternative to the wheel chair they gave us at the hospital. I use a jogging stroller (other strollers are too narrow) so that we can travel incognito. Maybe you could cover the cast with a sweatshirt or hoodie, at least when you are not in the mood to answer questions?

One thing that annoys me the most is people who come up to him and make this pathetic face. For the most part, he forgets he's immobilized from the waist down and has done a great job just making the most of it. But when people make this horrible face at him, he thinks there is something wrong and gets sad.

Just like we have a list of stupid things people say to knitters, we need to make a list of stupid comments to kids with broken bones or other medical issues. My friend's story can start the list...

I have a friend whose daughter needed a liver transplant from a birth defect. Her little girl did look pretty sick and people would stop and ask what was wrong. One person even had the nerve to ask if they had ever heard of an organ transplant list! I think I would have kicked the lady!

stitchwitch
10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah but don't you think it's kind of normal to see a baby in half a body cast and feel sorry for them? I think the sad face probably mimics what they feel for him. It's not normal to see a child hurt and be all happy, happy, joy, joy about it.

HeatherFeather
10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I think all of us would have a story or two to tell about our active kids...and exactly right.....let THEM lead the way!! But no jumping off buildings please!!!

phooie on "those people" that gave you funky looks.....

forgive yourself....:)

Leeseebat
10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
aw i hope your little guy is back to himself soon!

i just had to add a story of a friend of the family...my mom's best friend has two boys and my mom has two girls...oddly enough us youngests are the ones always getting hurt! He was playing football with a local team when he was 6 (and one of the biggest kids on the team) and the smallest kid on the team (yes his own team) fell on him and broke his leg. His mom's a er nurse and got lots of teasing at the er for that one.

as my mom always said while patching me up, kids are kids.

feel better soon!

PurlyGyrl
10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
:hug:Hugz to you and :muah:to Logan's arm. Don't let it get you down--and poop on those people who give you hard time!

Kaydee
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Aw, sorry to hear about your little guy's arm...he sounds like a trooper though. Don't worry, you did nothing wrong. Its unrealistic to be right there next to your child at every second of the day. Besides if you were always right up there with him he wouldn't grow up to be a self suficient adult.

marykz
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
don't beat yourself up!!! kids are so active and always pushing their boundaries... Kayleigh broke hers this summer right infront of the camp counselor. she was literally standing right there and K just fell wrong... we found out when school started that 2 of her friends also broke their arms over the summer time.

but he will heal quickly. K was completely healed in 8 weeks. cast came off after 4.

(for the cast- we covered it with those plastic bread bags or newspaper bags so she could take a bath or play in the sand box etc. or do a messy craft. )

she got really tired of telling everyone how she broke it! but she got free cookies from just about every restaurant/ coffee shop we went to this summer.
hang in there,

iza
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
:hug:Chrissy, don't be too hard on yourself. It's impossible for you or for any mom to control everything! You can be the best mom in the world, be there 24/7 for your child, but nevertheless, little accidents WILL occur. Learning how to deal with these things is also part of growing up! :muah:

knitasha
10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Aren't you letting your own self-criticism
color your impression of what other people are thinking? I would bet that most of them aren't focusing on you and your "neglect" at all -- just feeling sympathy for you and Logan.
Or thinking "cute kid with a red cast."

Sounds as though he's handling all this better than you are. Short of confining him to a plastic bubble, you can't protect your boy from everything. Even if you could, you'd be raising a person incapable of dealing with the realities of the world. Breaking a bone is one of the least awful things that can happen to an active, adventurous child -- a rite of passage, if you will. The bone will be stronger than ever in less time than you think, and he'll be back at the playground figuring out new ways to make you anxious. During the healing period, let him do things for himself with his LEFT hand. He sounds like a kid who would enjoy the challenge. And meanwhile, cut yourself some slack.

sarahzknitty
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
My son Sam broke his arm last year falling literaly 6inches!
A friend of his gave him a get well card and in it was a bunch of temp. tattoos. He had the best time decorating his cast with those things.
Kids are kids and no matter how hard we try we cannot protect them from everything. And as for other people let them think what they are going to...as long as your kids love you thats all that matters

zazzu
10-08-2007, 01:05 PM
We have some friends' whose three-year-old broke his arm trying to "fly" off the swingset. Nobody who knows him was the least bit surprised. He is a very headstrong, energetic little boy (aren't they all?).

A few days after the cast was put on he went to visit the Grandparents and ran directly from the front door through the house, out the back door and into the swimming pool. :shock:

People tease his Daddy that this little guy's antics are payback for all the brattiness everyone had to endure about 30 years ago. :teehee:

Try not to worry about the "looks" you're getting. I don't even have children and I understand that they can get into trouble in a nanosecond (literally the blink of Mama's eye).

robynbird
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh my mama's heart just skipped a beat. I am one that always has to look away when my kids do things that scare me (my friend takes them to the fair because I can't stand to watch them on the rides). I didn't used to be so scared until I had kids.

That said, I still let them run, jump, climb, ride etc. They are kids - they will get hurt. Sounds like you are a great mom and your son is very happy. Now he has a cool red cast on - take pictures and have everyone sign it. Don't let ignorant people make you feel less than you are!

letah75
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I grew up in a big city, about 30 minutes away from the hospital and my parents and I were on a first name basis with the ER staff.

I cut my face open (down to the bone) from my ear all the way to the middle of my chin when I was younger. The doc wanted to give me stitches, I refused, and when his back was turned, made my escape. I got about 2 blocks before the dr. my dad and one of the security guards caught me....I was trying to walk home, cause I didn't want stitches.

I broke my own nose with my knee, playing on the sofa and didn't tell mom for two days. Had to fess up when the black eyes gave me away. By then it was too late to set it.

Cracked the bones in my wrist playing tackle basketball, and tackle football one right after the other. And continued after I heard the bones break.

Broke the cartilage in my knee and had a cast for an entire semester.

Broke my wrist when I fell rollerskating and rolled over my left wrist with my right skate (dont' ask how it happened).

I could go on and on....(most of the stories are much worse, and my parents were often times right there) and trust me I had great parents. Kids hurt themselves, they hurt others and they scare the "H E double hockey sticks" out of their parents and everyone else around.

You are a wonderful parent. Especially since you are not allowing yourself to curb his behavior, and you are not becoming that parent who scares their kid into not being a kid.

mullerslanefarm
10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Chrissy, Don't beat yourself up.

When we were growing up (60's) it was unusual that a child DIDN'T break at least one bone in their childhood.

khewes
10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Poor little guy. He'll never remember it.

My grandaughter, 19 months, broken arm. Two bones.
Looks like she's suffering, right?

He'll be fine and you're a fine Mommy. Kids break stuff. It happens.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/khewes/100_0692.jpg

vaknitter
10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Trust me - you did nothing wrong !! Children break bones all the time. If my parents beat themselves up everytime I got hurt they wouldn't have been able to function. He won't even remember this unless you take pictures and show him.

Just wait until he's old enough to do flips off the bed or jump off a bookshelf and try to play tarzan by swinging around on the ceiling fan or repelling out his second story bedroom window like GI Joe. I swear I don't have a clue why my parents have grey hair or detests the ER : )

My father told me when I got married - just cause I grew up didn't me he would stop worrying about me. That's just what parents do.

stitchwitch
10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
If I had grown up today my parents would have been reported to child protection no doubt. I frequently had black eyes, one caused by roller skating under our boat's propeller in the garage, another caused by jumping on the bed and missing but hitting the night stand. I was always and still do slam my fingers in the door (haven't quite outgrown that, but wish I would). :roflhard: Not one of my knees was ever without a good scrape or cut and I'm pretty sure the neighbor ladies thought I was born black and blue because that's the only color they ever saw me.

jcmom
10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Poor kid with a bulky cast. I can imagine how you feel. Sounds like you've fed him well these past two years, so that is a good thing. His body is strong and able to heal the way it should. You're just fine, mom. :thumbsup:

ChrissyB
10-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you all soooo much. It makes me feel better hearing everyones stories :muah::hug: I know this is probably only the first of many accidents he will have, :hair: better get used to it now. He is zooming around like there is no tommorow. He certanly isn't slowing down any. Whenever someone asks him what happened to his arm he says "I fell down" :teehee: We went for a walk last night and he rode his bike like a pro, and keeps asking to go to the park, I don't think I could handle one handed climbing at this point though. One good thing is he can't undress himself, he loves being naked and before the cast all clothes came off the minute we walked in the door, at least now I don't have to redress him everytime we leave the house :teehee: Thanks again everyone, you guys are great!