PDA

View Full Version : New preemie DGD and sweater

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I haven't been on the computer lately. My DD who was due to have a little girl on Oct. 25 had her on the 2. (I was there for the event) All the tiny sweaters I had made looked huge so I have been busy knitting, along with other things. I have made two preemie sweaters that fit and 2 hats so far. My DD said today she would like some socks that come up on the babies 4" thighs, so she can't kick them off. I'm thinking of attempting some.

This is picture of the last sweater I made (I haven't gotten a picture of the other one yet) compared to a 0-3 month size. I was shooting for about 14 inches around. (baby weighed 4 lbs. 13 oz and lost down to about 4 lbs. 6 oz.). I didn't use a pattern, just figured it out, and had to redo the sleeves because my first guess was too little.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/preemiesweater.jpg

Here's a picture of the baby wearing it. :muah: She had one of those outfits with the fold down mitts on it, but the sweater fits just about right.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/babyandtinysweater.jpg

And here she is with the little Bubby Bear I knitted for her (I redid his eyes, if you remember him).

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/withBubbybear.jpg

The sweater is made of Patons Fairytale (sport weight) yarn and has little rose buttons. The other one I made was made of Patons Canadiana (worsted weight), so was quicker and thicker.

KnittingNat
10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Congratulations on your DGD! I hope she puts up the weight soon. She looks so sweet in the tiny sweater :heart: Great job :thumbsup:

nonny2t
10-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh my gosh, Merigold, she is so beautiful! She loves her sweater and bear from her grandma too! I love the big smile! She is just so darn cute. The sweater and hat are gorgeous! She will start growing big and strong day by day. I had the opposite problem. Jackson was so big that the sweaters I had made him that I thought would fit him this fall are already too small and sit brand new in the drawer. I talked to my son a couple days ago and Jackson, who will be 4 months old on the 10th, is around 18 lbs and about 30 inches long. He is wearing 9 and 12 month clothing. This is him about 3 weeks ago. As part of my birthday present, my two kids went together and paid for me to go to Indiana to see him the end of October since I haven't seen him since he was born. I emailed my son this morning and told him that "I can't wait to see my little pun'kin." He emailed me back and said, "He's shaped like a pumpkin that's for sure!" :rofl:

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Nonny,

Thank you for the comments. It's exciting that you are getting to go see your DGS soon. :woot: You'll have a great time with that visit. It sounds like Jackson is a big boy. 30 inches long. He is tall!! Little boys are special. :hug: We are short on them in our family. We have one son and 3 daughters and 6 granddaughters and only one grandson. After you see Jackson and get to take some measurements you'll know what you need to do to make something that fits. ;) Merigold

Nonny, Jackson is really cute. All boy. He's filling out his overalls pretty well. :-)

tootie44
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
OMGoodness...she is just too precious in that sweater and cap! Beautiful!

Indygirl
10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
:heart:What a beautiful baby girl! She looks sweet in the pink sweater too. You did a great job. They do grow fast. I try to make my dgd's knitted thing's big. They can always grow into them.

Jan in CA
10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
How cute she is! That bear is almost as big as she is! Love the adorable sweaters!

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Indygirl, Big would be the practical thing, but I couldn't resist making something that would fit. LOL

Indygirl
10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Indygirl, Big would be the practical thing, but I couldn't resist making something that would fit. LOL
Very true! I did try that, I got it to small, We couldn't get it over her head:gah:I had to redo the neck rib. Your's fit's very nice :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Mine was guesswork too. My first attempt at the sleeves was too tight in the cuff, and maybe too short too. So I did it over and that worked.

gamerchik
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
She is so stinkin' cute!!!! Your knitting is beautiful and I just LOVE the bear! :D

Mama Bear
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Congratulations! She is adorable and looks to be doing well despite her hurry to arrive.

I made socks for a 6 lb baby that the mom said were the only ones that would stay on and not leave cinch marks. I used the North Country sock pattern here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/sock-pattern.php

These are done on a 24 stitch cast on, but I changed to size US 3 needles, and Cascade Fixation yarn. The little bit of elastic was just enough so they stayed on well.

I have a pattern of my own for 1-2 pound preemie that is done with an 18 stitch cast on and size 3 needles with DK weight yarn.

Just thought maybe this information would help you find size and give ideas. Let us know what you find works! I'm sure the socks will be adorable.

Mama Bear

tilllie
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
What a little doll!!!!She looks gorgeous and quite happy in her outfit!!Congratulations, grandkids are the best!!

Suziblues
10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
OH MY GOSH! I just love the babies! CUTE!

And she looks very cute with her teddy and in her sweater and hat.

I just had my first grand baby, a boy, on June 25......an 8 pounder!
THEN I had my second grand baby, another boy, on September 7 and he was only 5 lbs 15 oz. Almost 6 lbs!
He was so tiny, but he is gaining fast. He now wieghs almost 8 lbs.

I knitted both babies some cute little socks. The first baby's feet were too big and the second baby's feet were too little.

congratulations on that cute little girl,
luv,
sue

MerigoldinWA
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Mama Bear,

Thanks for the pattern. I started a different pattern with 24 stitches and I'm doing it on size 3 needles with a DK yarn. I've noticed a lot of the preemie patterns I've seen don't give a gauge. What's with that?:eyes: The elastic in the yarn sounds like an excellent idea, but I don't have any yarn with elastic. :sad: Thanks for your help. The North Country sock pattern is a nice looking one, and it gives a gauge. :) Merigold

hob
10-08-2007, 10:24 PM
omg she is so cute see the tiny smile? aww she looks so happy to have all her knitted gifts.

dustinac
10-09-2007, 07:51 AM
oh my she is so cute!! Congrats!!!

The little sweaters, hats, and bear look so cute!! :thumbsup:

GiddyKnitter
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Congratulations what a adoreable baby.
I love the little preemie cardi and hat...Those socks are going to be so tiny
can't wait to see them!

ritaw
10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
She is an absolute beauty. How precious is that smile. Awwwwwe:)
Makes my heart skip a beat.

She sure looks like she loves what you have made her.

GinnyG
10-09-2007, 10:56 AM
What a sweetie!!!

PurlyGyrl
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
How precious she is! :hug: Congratulations to all. :happydance:

Brandy_m
10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
she is BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats!!! The sweaters are lovely as well and I'm sure will keep her nice and warm!