PDA

View Full Version : I just found the COOLEST stuff!

Itsabtme
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
My Dad found an old barrel in his storage unit of things belonging to my Aunt who passed away a couple of years ago.

He invited me to come over and go through it with him. I was kinda hesitant, cause I've picked up a change of season bug:achoo:, and I really didn't feel like sharing...but, now I'm glad I did.

From the top, it just looked like she had stuffed a bunch of old bank statements and canceled checks...stuff like that....then we found some old pictures, which were fun. There were some old letters from the 40's from my great grandmother to her siblings and visa versa. It was like taking a step back in time. But then, I found this folder inside of large yellow envelope.....with Patterns inside!! Everything in the folder was dated around 1951, so I'm sure that these are about that old at least. They are hand typed patterns for Mittens, Afghans, Baby Bonnets, Sweaters...I think that is it. I left one sheet with my Mom. These are for crochet, knitting, and Weave-it Frame....I have no idea what that is. Anyway, I just thought that it was Very Cool and wanted to share

Lady Violet
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
SWEET SCORE!!! :yay:

knitgal
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
That's so cool! I found a similar stash with my aunt recently and it was like going back in time.

Itsabtme
10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Isn't it fun?? We also found some dress patterns (new never used) from the 40's. I think that it would be fun to make one and wear it for Halloween, you know go as Susie Homemaker...lol I'd be afraid to open them up though...the paper would probably fall apart in our hands.

sugarfunpouch
10-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Awesome!!

meearnol
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow! That is a great find! Congratulations. :cheering:

robynbird
10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow - the patterns sound great but I bet those letters were amazing! Hang onto those!!

Songbirdy
10-09-2007, 12:18 AM
yay! I love the old patterns. I have received some from my Grandmother after she passed away, my Great Aunt (she's still alive but felt she can't use them any more) and most recently from DH's Grandmother (also alive, same as Great Aunt).

I've knit up lots of the patterns. I've also found some books with the old patterns I have readjusted.

Typically the patterns are adjusted to increase more ease. So what was listed as an 8 in one book is listed as a size 4 in the modern book. Then... so that it won't be long, the lengths are closer to the original.

I love the old pattern books because they have so many sizes in them!

I hope you can find some great projects in the 'find.'!:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

ArtLady1981
10-09-2007, 01:35 AM
That is sooooo wonderful! Wow! Wish I could stumble on a treasure like that! Even if the patterns were not something you want to knit...how nostalgic to have them for display!

Jennmarie68
10-09-2007, 04:20 AM
I think that is so cool. My grandfather recently went on a family history binge (long story, but basically he was adopted and never knew it) and he's finding all this stuff, no patterns or anything, but he found some pictures of my dad's family that he gave to me. It was really cool to see, since I don't know many of my father's relatives (another LONG story.) I love finding old stuff like that. I've even gone as far as buying other people's pictures at yard sales, just because I love how old pictures look.

BTW and WAY OT... Songbird and ArtLady, you look like you could be related. I've seen you both on forums but never one post right after the other and I had to do a double take cause I thought one of you had posted twice. Just an observation.

Knitting_Guy
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
:thumbsup:

Jan in CA
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Very cool!

Selenia
12-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Are you considering selling any of your patterns or the whole yellow envelope with them.
Please let me know.
Thanks.
Selenia N.