PDA

View Full Version : new to knit with personal ?

spryng
10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
ok, just picked up a knitting kit.. I'm already a pretty accomplished crocheter but never have knitted, but I am ready for something new :) and this site has been wonderful for learning hands on since I was self taught through books and patterns with crochet..
but my question is, I hear knitting is easier than crochet.. is this true? for those of you that do both, which do you prefer?
and any tips/advise for a beginner knitter? thanks!!!

Jan in CA
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm sure you'll get varied opinions on this one because it can vary from one person to the next. Knitting is basically just two stitches (knit and purl) so in that respect it can be easier. However you're working with two needles. Crochet is just one hook, but you have a lot more stitches to memorize.

It really just takes practice and patience to learn to knit. There are lots of videos here on KH at the tabs at the top of the page. Plus if you like to have a print out there is good help at these two sites. I printed out instructions (including photos) to have next to me when I first started.
http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/cat/how-to-knit/
http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/

And before you ask... holding the yarn in your left hand or right hand is personal preference. It tends to be one of those topics where the continental knitters (yarn in left hand like crochet) think their way is best and faster, but really, just do what works best for YOU. I crocheted for years, but prefer to knit with the yarn in my right hand (english knitting). ;)

Knitting_Guy
10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Welcome!

I've never crochet so can't really answer your question, but if I can knit anyone can :rofl:

vaknitter
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I feel like knitting is easier than crocheting, but my mother is just the opposite - she can crochet in her sleep.

My only tip would be to get a book that teaches you all the different ways to increase/decrease stitches with a glossary of abbreviations.

Jennmarie68
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I for some reason can't get crocheting down, I can start off okay and make it look nice for a few rows, but for some reason I get all screwed up. So for me I have to say knitting is much easier. This website helps alot. I find myself using it all the time. If there something you can't find, there is someone on here that knows exactly where or what it is you're looking for.

I LOVE KH and the whole KH family :-)

mrslevite
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with what you were introduced to first. For me it was crocheting. And I think I can crochet in my sleep. I was joking with my mother a while back about how I figured if I ever went blind, I could keep crocheting.

Knitting is a little more challenging to me, but I think it's just because I don't have as much experience and practice doing it. Eventually it will come to me.

I have a somewhat off topic question. Does anyone know of any Crochet forums similar to Knittinghelp?

Samsam
10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I have people tell me that they just can't "get" knitting and that chocheting is a lot easier. IMO they're both easy once you learn the technique.

Jens
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I have people tell me that they just can't "get" knitting and that chocheting is a lot easier. IMO they're both easy once you learn the technique.
I agree. I crocheted first but mainly with thread so knitting seems a little easier but at this point sense I've just started knitting a couple of months ago my crochet looks nicer than my knitting I figure it will just take some practice to get it looking as nice. I do think that knitting patterns (if i can get one without mistakes) are easier to follow than crochet again maybe that's because I used thread for crochet.
Jen

toomuch
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a somewhat off topic question. Does anyone know of any Crochet forums similar to Knittinghelp?

Teresa, there's crochetville.org

mrslevite
10-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Teresa, there's crochetville.org
Thanks! I'm going to check it out.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm a forum junkie? :roll:

But only the best forums! Splitcoaststampers for stamping and scrapbooking, here for knitting, Microtalk for stock photography, and now on my way to check out crochetville! :mrgreen:

knitncook
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
IME, I have found that people who have a foundation in crochet have an easier time learing to knit than people who have a foundation in knitting trying to learn to crochet. I'm not sure why. I learned to do both as a child and don't really remember one being more difficult than the other, although from time to time I prefered crocheting over knitting because my mom didn't crochet, so it was something I could do that she didn't. But now that I'm an adult, I rarely ever crochet. I'm much too busy knitting!

toomuch
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm not a member on crochetville yet, so I don't know how good it is. I just heard about it the other day from someone else on this website. It looks good though.
Julie

reggie
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Hello - I am a brand new subscriber. Not sure if I'm replying correctly. I tried knitting quite a few years ago but became really frustrated by dropped stitches. For quite a while I only crocheted. A few years ago I started knitting again after I took lessons on Continental knitting - I'm left handed. That made all the difference - also I switched to bamboo needles. I'm really enjoying knitting and continue to crochet.

msmelody
10-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Guess I am the oddball. I taught myself how to crochet when I was about 7 and made lots of things that were not even good enough to give to charity. Taught myself to knit when I was about 9 or 10 and the stuff I made I could give to family and friends. I still have the crochet stuff, but in no way shape or form would I try to go back when I know that I am a better knitter.

rissa
10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I think that because you have a great foundation in crocheting, knitting by holding your yarn in your left hand might feel more natural to you, but...it really depends on the person. Thats how I've been knitting.

I love both knitting and crocheting. I've been on a knitting kick so I haven't crocheted in a while. I used to say I liked crocheting more..but knitting has really grabbed me! :woot:

shortnsweetly
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I love both knitting and crochet, they have very different things to offer. I love how portable crochet is, its easy to take your project with you anywhere without fear of dropping stitches, should you be interrupted and have to stop mid-row. Plus, most people sitting next to you dont like getting knocked in the elbows with knitting needles, so crochet is perfect for a tight commute on a bus or train.
While I love my crochet, I would never stop knitting. Knitting may take longer, and be a little harder in my eyes, but there are patterns and shaping achieved with knitting that crochet simply can't do.
Congrats on making the crossover to the other side...welcome!