PDA

View Full Version : stuggling with understanding slant dec.

gingergal4l8r
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I started a new project, A cute sleeveless dress for a 2 year old.
I have started the skirt part. Finished the ruffle
Did the A line panels
Ins Row1 (K19, P1 *K39 P1*)
Row2 Purl row.

Now here is where I have watched the video and I am lost like you would not believe....
I will write the instructions down, and if anyone can explain to me in better terms or in a way a new knitter can understand that would be lovely.

A Line Shaping
Knit to within 2 sts of the purl st, work the left slant decrease (K2 through back loop), P1, work right slant dec (K2 through front loop) on next 2 sts. Cont across row working K2 tog (as right and left slant decs) on each side of the P1 st - a total dec of 12 sts in row. Do not dec at front edge of garment.

I looked at this and almost started to cry as I have put some hours in so far and do not want to quit this project, and I am a chicken if I figure I can not do it....
Help me please.....

knitqueen
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Work to 2 stitches before purl stitch, then knit two together through the back loops -- this is a left slanting decrease. An alternative for k2tog through back loops is a SSK.

Then P1.

Then knit two together -- this is a right slanting decrease.

You will decrease one stitch before, and one stitch after each purl stitch in the row.

You are doing 12 decreased stitches per row, one on either side of the purl stitches, so I assume that you have 6 purl stitches in one row?

gingergal4l8r
10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
... and this is why you have the name of knit queen!!!
Thanks so much..... I will keep you posted.

nannaknits
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
You may find it helpful to place a marker before your purl stitch so when you see it you know that your decreases are coming up.