PDA

View Full Version : Squares of MANY COLORS! Project Complete!

Shandeh
10-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Since our "White Christmas" afghan is such a success, I've decided to also make blankets for charity, using yarn of different colors!

As with the White Christmas knit-along, all you have to do is knit a 12 inch square, and mail it to me. I'll seam them all together, and make blankets and lapghans.

I would like to give some of these blankets to a children's charity, so some squares can be made with bright, happy colors!

I will also make some lapghans to go to retirement centers, for our sweet older folks. So, if you only have black or white or neutral colors, go ahead and make your squares!

I'm thinking that we can make season-specific color choices for certain times of the year, like orange and black for October, or red and green for December. You get the idea. I'll be able to use whatever you send.

Each square should be made with washable worsted weight yarn, and measure 12 inches square. The first and last 3 rows should be all knit stitches, and there should be 3 knit stitches at the beginning and end of each row. This will make a nice edge around the square.

If you need a pattern for your square, let us know, and we'll try to find one for you. If you don't feel like making a specific pattern, just make the square with all knit stitches!

If you want to participate, just send me a message so I can tell you where to send them.

If you are already involved in the White Christmas knit-along, you can just add a colorful square to your package for this knit-along!

Knitters signed up so far:
monzogary
ritaw
PurlyGyrl
Jan in CA
rissa
Lady Violet
Nunnemaker
gmmarton
debinoz
suziehomemaker
GennyLynn1962
Secksiebrat
misha rf
losnana

And here's our blog:http://manycolorsknitting.blogspot.com/ (http://manycolorsknitting.blogspot.com/)

ritaw
10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi , I would love to do this. I am in the uk , I hope this is ok.

I was wondering if by 12x12 do you mean that each egde measures 12ins. I would also love a pattern or an idea of how many stiches and an what needles.

Thank you

Shandeh
10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks Rita!

Yes...each square should be 12 inches across, and 12 inches tall. (which converts to 30.5 centimeters)

Here is the pattern I designed, which measures correctly for this project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5964692...7600886745324/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/568077339/in/set-72157600886745324/)

Here are another two patterns I found online:
http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/kni...ariegated.html (http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/knit/esb-patterns/squares/variegated.html)

You could also choose a horseshoe square, casting on 57 stitches instead of 47. http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou...rns/hshoe.html (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/hshoe.html)

PurlyGyrl
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Count me in!!:thumbsup: I love making squares--it give me a chance to use my stitch dictionaries and my yarn stash :woohoo:

Jan in CA
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Is there a time line? This time of year is tough if you're knitting for Christmas and taking a sock class! :teehee:

If there are no time limits I can probably make some. I have a bunch of yarn that is good for nothing else anyway. ;)

rissa
10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I would love to do this! I've been browsing the different oddball blankets and wondering how I could get involved. I'll start here I guess! :D Any particular type of yarn, I know washable worsted, but any particular fiber type?

Lady Violet
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
i'm in! this is great for leftovers.

once again sandy, you're an :angelgrin:!

Nunnemaker
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I think this is a great idea, I just moved and have tons of yarn I have no idea what to do with! :yay: More details about when you need the squares would be great, I have a lot of Christmas projects going on, LOL! :heart:
A

gmmarton
10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Sandy,

You truly are an Angel! This is a brilliant idea. I will be sending you 12" squares of MANY COLORS! And thanks for the patterns. I'm always looking for more ideas...

Best regards,

Gail M.
CT

Shandeh
10-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Count me in!!:thumbsup: I love making squares--it give me a chance to use my stitch dictionaries and my yarn stash :woohoo:
Thanks PurlyGyrl! :wink:

Is there a time line? This time of year is tough if you're knitting for Christmas and taking a sock class! :teehee:
No deadline at ALL, my friend. Just send what you can, when you can. :)

I would love to do this! I've been browsing the different oddball blankets and wondering how I could get involved. I'll start here I guess! :D Any particular type of yarn, I know washable worsted, but any particular fiber type?
I think that any fiber will be fine, as long as it's washable worsted weight. Thanks for joining! :hug:

i'm in! this is great for leftovers.

once again sandy, you're an :angelgrin:!
You are all angels too, because you're working as much as I am! Thanks for joining! :sun:

I think this is a great idea, I just moved and have tons of yarn I have no idea what to do with! :yay: More details about when you need the squares would be great, I have a lot of Christmas projects going on, LOL! :heart: A
Thanks for joining! No deadline - just make squares when you can, and mail them to me. :thumbsup:

Sandy,
You truly are an Angel! This is a brilliant idea. I will be sending you 12" squares of MANY COLORS! And thanks for the patterns. I'm always looking for more ideas...
You're an angel too!
You always do a great job on these projects. :muah:

debinoz
10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Would veri.....vari.... ummm multicolored yarn be okay??? ;)

Shandeh
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Of COURSE! :thumbsup:

debinoz
10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm in then! I still have your address, so I'll send some along as I go.

Shandeh
10-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Yay! :cheering:

suziehomemaker
10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm in too. The whole "no deadline" part sold me! I'm thinking in January I should have a few to send to you!

GennyLynn1962
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm in!

Secksiebrat
10-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll work on some in between other projects. They are a nice/easy break from the longer projects!

~danielle~

GennyLynn1962
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I was looking over the pattern for the horseshoe pattern. On row 5 it says

yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso....

does that mean to pass the slipped stitch over the k2tog?

misha rf
10-15-2007, 09:07 PM
With no deadline, count me in, too!! :woot:

Lady Violet
10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I was looking over the pattern for the horseshoe pattern. On row 5 it says

psso usually means to pass the slipped stitch over the last stitch knitted, so it looks like you understood that right. i think all the letters just make it look complicated. well, they do to me anyway. imo, it makes us knitters look super impressive to people who don't knit but have actually looked at a knitting pattern or two. ;)

Shandeh
10-16-2007, 12:03 AM

Exactly. You'll knit two together, and then you'll pass the slipped stitch over the resulting stitch from the K2tog.

rissa
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
I started my first square today! It would have been sooner but I have alot on my knitting plate, hehe. I'm hoping to get 3 done in the next week and send them too you Shandeh. I'm thinking I'll do all 3 in the same color so you could put them in the same blanket, or not, whatever your wish. :muah:

Its been fun to work on this one. It is an eyelet zigzag. I didn't want too many eyelets...too many holes for toes to poke thru, lol! But I think this is just right and will add some simple interest to the blanket. The other 2 I'm planning on being straight k and p, in 2 different patterns as yet to be determined. Thanks for this opportunity!:woot:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/1638842358_3523fa0600.jpg is a pic of it so far! It really isn't as red as its showing, its more of a deep burgandy.

GennyLynn1962
10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh, I love that pattern Rissa. :inlove:

I haven't done much on my squares yet, I was trying some new patterns and ended up frogging a lot. :roll:

rissa
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I do that alot! You aren't the only one, hehe. Sometimes I like a stitch pattern, knit it up and hate it with the yarn I'm using. I think some of it might be gauge issues. I've tried knitting with a needle suze up and that helps some. :shrug: Makes the knitted fabric softer I think.

Shandeh
10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I've had the same problem too! Makes me so mad when that happens. I'll knit for an inch, and it looks like it's gonna be right. Then I knit for another inch, and I can tell already that it's stretched out bigger. :pout:

Your first square is pretty, rissa! :inlove:

losnana
10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Love your pattern, Rissa.

Shandeh, count me in.

Shandeh
10-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Right now, we have 14 participating knitters. :happydance:

I just created a blog where we can showcase photos of our squares! http://manycolorsknitting.blogspot.com/

threesmom
10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
:waving:Is it too late to join? I have lots of random yarn with no home, perfect for squares ... And no deadline? I love that! Let me know if you need more knitters, Shandeh.

Shandeh
10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
:waving:Is it too late to join? I have lots of random yarn with no home, perfect for squares ... And no deadline? I love that! Let me know if you need more knitters, Shandeh.

It's NEVER too late to join!
We'll be glad to have you, threesmom!
:muah:

gmpstitches
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Would like to join your KAL. This is the first so let me know where to send my square.
Happy stitching!

Shandeh
10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Would like to join your KAL. This is the first so let me know where to send my square.
Happy stitching!

Thanks for joining, gmpstitches! :hug:

ladyjessica
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I'd like to join this too, but I probably wouldn't be able to do anything until after Christmas as I have several gift projects that I need to start. I thought I did this yesterday, but maybe I just previewed and forgot to post, as I've been known to do. Anyway, if this shows up twice, I apologize. But, I'd like to help. :happydance:

Shandeh
10-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I'd like to join this too, but I probably wouldn't be able to do anything until after Christmas as I have several gift projects that I need to start. I thought I did this yesterday, but maybe I just previewed and forgot to post, as I've been known to do. Anyway, if this shows up twice, I apologize. But, I'd like to help. :happydance:

I'll go ahead and put you on the list. I have no problem with waiting til 2008 for the squares. :thumbsup:

ritaw
10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I have started mine . I am afraid my first one will be all garter stitch as i seem to be in a can't follow pattern mood today.

I did try but i had to frog it twice.

I am sure it will blend beautifully with all the other lovely patterned ones. :)

ritaw
10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh ! i have just noticed that DK is not worsted.

What is worsted ? Can i not use dk?

Is worsted like aran weight. We do not have anything called worsted in the uk.

Shandeh
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh ! i have just noticed that DK is not worsted.

What is worsted ? Can i not use dk?

Is worsted like aran weight. We do not have anything called worsted in the uk.

Worsted is the same as Aran weight.

DK is probably too thin, but you can send it anyway if you don't want to frog it. Maybe I can still use it.

ritaw
10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks . I have aleady started on aran, So it is no problem.

Why can't we all have the same yarn everywhere lol :)

Jan in CA
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I've got a couple done. I'm not sure if the short row square will be useful, but it was SO much fun to do!!

Lady Violet
10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Jan, that short row square is amazing! it looks like knotty wood.
where did you get the pattern?

losnana
10-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Jan, I LOVE that short row square! It is incredible.

Jan in CA
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Jan, that short row square is amazing! it looks like knotty wood.
where did you get the pattern?

Thanks! Whoops..forgot the pattern. I didn't follow this other than to learn how she did it. I just went off on my own. The variegated yarn colors really look cool in it!

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/improvisational_knitting/index.html

Shandeh
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Way cool square, Jan! (both of them actually) :hug:

mhansen
10-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I also would like to do this. I've already started making the squares. Great idea! Mary

rissa
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I've finished my 1 square, well..kinda. I bound off 1 row too soon, so I'll need to rip it back a little and add the other row, lol. So I've been kinda procrastinating on it a bit. I'll try to get to it today, so I can cast on for another! :happydance:

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
You could also choose a horseshoe square, casting on 57 stitches instead of 47. http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou...rns/hshoe.html (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/hshoe.html)

I have been TRYING to work on this pattern. It was giving me fits, I kept getting extra stitches, or not enough, a lot of frogging, but I was determined to learn it. :wall: Last night I finally managed to get a repeat done, and it all worked out. BUT... I cast on 47 instead of 57. With the 47 it measures 11.5 inches, if I cast on 57 will it be too big?
I'm gonna frog it one more time, and cast on 57 to see what happens. :eyes:

ritaw
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Here are pics of my squares. The finished was done in just garter stitch and the one still on the needles is 5x5 rib.
Theyare not as beautiful as some but my skills are still limited.

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
They are wonderful!
It doesn't look like your skills are still limited. :notworthy:

PurlyGyrl
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
:heart: Beautiful squares eveyone.:heart: And Rita, your skills don't look limited to me--beautiful work and I love the yarn color!

ritaw
10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Thank you purlygirl.

I can knit toys and such but i find it so difficult to follow certain patterns.
I am one of those people that can try a pattern and do it wrong constantly and then if i leave it and go back to it a month later i find i can do it.

Lady Violet
10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Rita, that is nothing to worry about. before any of us started knitting, none of us knew how to hold the needles. :teehee:
as for me, i've been looking online for patterns for 12x12 afghan squares. it seems that no one wants to make this easy because i can't find any. i've never taken a stitch pattern and used it to make something. i guess it might help if i actually had a stitchionary. looks like i'll just have to get up the guts to experiment. :roll:

ritaw
10-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I know what you mean. It is difficult to find 12x12 in patterns.
And to be truthful my brain does not work very well with numbers. LOL
Lady Violet maybe you could create a pattern for us less abled to :)

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I know what you all mean. I searched all afternoon for patterns and couldn't find very many.

Sandy- I'm posting some pics of the horseshoe pattern now that I *hopefully* have it at 12 inches. I added 3k to each side to make it come out right. My question is... will the curve at the bottom cause you problems with seaming up the squares? And the pattern is a bit puffy in spots, is that a problem?

Do you think I will ever get to the point where I don't ask so many questions????:roll:

Shandeh
10-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I've finished my 1 square, well..kinda. I bound off 1 row too soon, so I'll need to rip it back a little and add the other row, lol. So I've been kinda procrastinating on it a bit. I'll try to get to it today, so I can cast on for another! :happydance:
Hey, don't worry about that one row. Just leave it, and I'll block it if necessary. Also, when I seam the blocks together, they will pull each other into shape. :wink:
I cast on 47 instead of 57. With the 47 it measures 11.5 inches, if I cast on 57 will it be too big?
Bless your heart, my friend. 11.5 would be fine. I can always block it, or add a couple rows of single crochet.
Here are pics of my squares. The finished was done in just garter stitch and the one still on the needles is 5x5 rib. They are not as beautiful as some but my skills are still limited.
I think they are LOVELY! :heart:
as for me, i've been looking online for patterns for 12x12 afghan squares. it seems that no one wants to make this easy because i can't find any.
YES!!! FINALLY everyone else sees what I've learned. Free 12 inch square patterns are nowhere to be found! There is one series of 12 inch patterns I know of, but they cost money.
The Great American Aran Afghan (http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Aran-Afghan/dp/1893762173), The Great American Afghan (http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/KnittersMagazine/GreatAmericanAfghan.asp), The Great North American Afghan 2 (http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=50), and The Great American Kid's Afghan (http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/KnittersMagazine/GreatAmericanAfghan.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=1536)
I know what you mean. It is difficult to find 12x12 in patterns. Lady Violet maybe you could create a pattern for us less abled to :)
I designed one 12 inch pattern. The Seed Blocks square.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/568077339/in/set-72157600886745324/
Sandy... will the curve at the bottom cause you problems with seaming up the squares? And the pattern is a bit puffy in spots, is that a problem? Do you think I will ever get to the point where I don't ask so many questions????:roll:
The curve is not a problem, my friend. :hug:
The puffiness will add beauty and depth. :)
The questions will never end, because we are ALL still learning!
cloud9

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2007, 08:30 PM
:hug: You are doing such a wonderful job!

hellokitty165
10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Shandeh, please count me in ...thanks !!! great job !!!...does it have to be knit ? do you accept crochet (it faster for me)?? let me know ...i can do either one:thumbsup:

Shandeh
10-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks hellokitty! :)
You're welcome to do crochet, as long as the square measure 12 inches each way. Thanks for asking! :wink:

GennyLynn1962
10-29-2007, 08:56 AM
The whole time I've been knitting on the "horseshoe" square I've been telling myself that it doesn't look like a horseshoe but, it looks like something familiar, I just couldn't figure out what. Last night I figured it out. It looks like a Star Trek symbol. :roflhard:

When I figured it out I got a lot of :roll: from my family. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
It looks like a Star Trek symbol.
You're right! :roflhard:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/SpockVulcan.jpg

GennyLynn1962
10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I figure it is the *logical* way of seeing the square. :teehee:

:roll:

ritaw
10-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Lol You are so right Genny. I just had another look and it does resemble the star trek sign.
A bit of sci fi , just what we need :)

Shandeh
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I figure it is the *logical* way of seeing the square. :teehee:
:roll:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

GennyLynn1962
10-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I'm still a bit of a Trek fan, especially Voyager. But I'm not as extreme as some people. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
My hubby and I enjoy "Voyager" as well! :wink:

Jan in CA
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Sandy's gonna have my hide maybe, but I made another colorful square.. I learned the log cabin technique this week from Mason Dixon knitting and I love it! It's so much fun! I think it would look neat throw in (off center maybe) with a bunch of plain colored squares. I'll probably be making more.. :teehee:

Shandeh
11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I think it's GREAT, Jan! :heart: :inlove: :heart:

GennyLynn1962
11-02-2007, 12:50 AM
I think it looks great Jan! :cheering:
That's another pattern I need to learn to do.
I have a cousin-in-law that has always wanted a blanket in maroon and silver, that might be a good way to do it. :shrug:

ritaw
11-02-2007, 03:22 AM
I love the square Jan . I think it would look lovely as a centre square :)

Tobinknit
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
I would LOVE to make some squares too. Realistically I can't promise any until after Christmas. Lots of projects half started for Christmas and some local charities. But you never know, being the night owl I am, I just might get some done before Christmas and it is always fun to start something new instead of finishing what you already have started.

Tobinknit
11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Couldn't stand it. I cast on after I posted last night and finished the square this morning......so I have one anyway.

http://www.deadzoom.com/users/rgmcconn1948/denimheathersquare.jpg

ritaw
11-03-2007, 02:25 PM
WOw! Tobinkit - You knit so quick. Love the sqaure :)

Shandeh
11-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Thank you so much, Tobinknit!!! :muah:

Tobinknit
11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks. I'm really not that quick......just stayed up a most of the night.

mhansen
11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I finally go my first square done after frogging it I don't know how many times. Frogged so much I had to cut the yarn off because I didn't like how it was looking. So Shandeh expect my square I am mailing it today!

Shandeh
11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I finally go my first square done after frogging it I don't know how many times. Frogged so much I had to cut the yarn off because I didn't like how it was looking. So Shandeh expect my square I am mailing it today!
I'm sorry your square wanted to be a frog. What a pain!!! :help:

Secksiebrat
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
THe squares are looking great. After christmas I'll get to work on a few. I've got a few christmas presents I need to do and then a couple baby booties (I ordered that cute pattern you got as well from ebay). So, count me in, just after christmas :)

~danielle~

monzogary
11-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I have two squares done so far, and one more half done just like these two but in a country blue. I was wanting to do some prettier squares with nice patterns to them, but I haven't had the time to figure some out, so I just did these. They are really mindless knitting, and I don't have to do any math! Just start with 3 cast on stitches and knit till its big enough. Great projest for when I'm watching Dancing With the Stars lol! Pattern can be found here: http://sasw.blogspot.com/2005/01/dishcloths.html
Hope they look ok in the blankets with all the prettier squares.

msmelody
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Monzogary, those squares look great. Think I am going to steal the pattern for some of my squares.

ritaw
11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I have done mine and i hope to post within a week or two. So much going on now its coming up to xmas. But there is no rush, so that is good. :)

Shandeh
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Lovely squares, Monzogary! Thanks for the pattern!:hug:

GennyLynn1962
11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Yep, I think I'll 'borrow' that pattern too. :teehee:

The squares look great!

rissa
11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I finished another square! Jan's Log Cabin square inspired me so I thought I'd give it a try! I loosely based the square on the Mason Dixon Modern Log Cabin baby blanket.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2109/2005202182_85b76c018e.jpg
I learned alot with this square! I first learned a lesson on gauge. I originally had my square more tradition log cabinish, but..I didn't take gauge on the 4 different yarns I used, so things were a bit off. So I started over and took into consideration all gauges as I would pick up stitches for the next block.

Next I learned a little on garter stitch intarsia. There really isn't alot on the web about this technique, but I did find some help. I twisted the working yarn on the right side rows when I got to the part of the block that had 2 colors a row, shown below. It is the black/tan red/cream section. On the wrong side rows, I didn't twist the yarn. It did leave a tiny hole, but you can't tell unless you stretch the square to look at it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Its not entirely perfect. But I'm thinking I'll learn more as I do.

I loved doing this square so much that I think I may make an afghan like this for myself next year.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2075/2005198762_8b09e09f18.jpg

losnana
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I love that square!! do you plan to do your afghan in many squares or one big rectangle?

rissa
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
You know, I haven't thought that far ahead, lol! I have so many other things on my plate right now knitting wise. I have 3 to 5 (not sure) more scarves to make for Christmas, and my sister in law has "commissioned" me to make her neice a sweater. Once those are out of the way I'll have time to design it. Was thinking of maybe doing the traditional Log Cabin block like the one in sample 1 in the link here (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/afghans/log-cabin-samples.htm). We'll see tho! :happydance:

Jan in CA
11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Ooooo thanks for that link! I don't really like country stuff, no ruffles, no quilts or doilies for me, but these squares are so much fun! Maybe I can modernize it a bit. ;)

Shandeh
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
I love the square, Rissa! :heart:
And your story about making the square is interesting, as well. ;)

chan58
11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
:cheering: Great idea Sandy: Please add me to your list!!! I will get a knittin!!! :knitting:

chan58
11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Love these Squares!!!!!!!!! :cheering: :woohoo:

I have two squares done so far, and one more half done just like these two but in a country blue. I was wanting to do some prettier squares with nice patterns to them, but I haven't had the time to figure some out, so I just did these. They are really mindless knitting, and I don't have to do any math! Just start with 3 cast on stitches and knit till its big enough. Great projest for when I'm watching Dancing With the Stars lol! Pattern can be found here: http://sasw.blogspot.com/2005/01/dishcloths.html
Hope they look ok in the blankets with all the prettier squares.

GennyLynn1962
11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Chan- I love the clip in your sig.

ritaw
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi ,
My squares have been posted today:) They will probably about ten days.

Shandeh
11-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Yay! :hug:

Jan in CA
11-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I have 6 done, but will continue through the holidays and send them off in January/February if that is okay?

Shandeh
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Woo Hoo! Jan, you're a miracle worker! :muah:

Take your time mailing them, my friend. I'm busy finishing up an Oddball Shawl, adding my knitting to two other Oddball Shawls, and seaming together the White Christmas Blanket. I'll just be stockpiling the "Many Colors" squares until after the holidays.

Miley384
11-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Cool! I have SO MUCH yarn that I don't know what to do with, but now I can make something out of it! Your idea totally rocks! I'm in! :knitting:

losnana
11-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Sandy, it just dawned on me that I should have sent you my square when I sent the misty blue shawl! I was waiting to do more, but the first one could have gone. I think the brain has run away from home for the holiday.

Shandeh
11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for joining, Miley384. :hug:

Losnana, no worries, my friend. There is no deadline on this project, so you can mail it whenever you want. :wink:

Lisa1216
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Sandy...I've been watching this thread for a while and would like to join in also. I have 2 squares done so far and will be able to make a few more. :knitting: I just need your address, so I'll send you a quick PM.

Shandeh
11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much, Lisa! :muah:

Shandeh
11-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I received a log cabin square from Canada!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/2075881421_f69cdba3af.jpg

And two blue squares from London!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2076668778_39f6178c09.jpg

ritaw
12-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I am so glad that they have arrived . I will make some more in the new year :)

princess
12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
do they have to be perfect? I would love to help by making one or two, but im still a newb. Also, do you want solid colors? cause i currently only have a ball of yarn that changes colors every so often, but going and getting some solid colors wouldnt be a problem.

Shandeh
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM
do they have to be perfect? I would love to help by making one or two, but im still a newb. Also, do you want solid colors? cause i currently only have a ball of yarn that changes colors every so often, but going and getting some solid colors wouldnt be a problem.
You are more than welcome to join the project, my friend! :hug:

All knitted squares are appreciated, no matter how imperfect they are. :wink:

And you can use any color combination you want. Solids are great too.

Dreaming Knitter
12-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Nice idea... may I sign in all the way from across the Pacific Ocean? I usually know of someone going to the States, and I'll just ask the person to drop in my square or two when he/she gets to the U.S.

This could be part of my charity knitting project for 2008, plus give me a chance to learn new stitches and to destash.

Thanks again

Shandeh
12-16-2007, 12:29 AM
I received another square! This one came from mhansen. :hug:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2095/2101637968_c941090a2e.jpg

salos
12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Shandeh, Hi! Can you use some squares that are Caron Simply Soft, 100% stockinet stitch? I can do a few squares with Red Heart Super Saver by hand, but to turn out a lot of squares for you I would rather use my machine. It doesn't like regular 4 ply yarn much, but the Caron SS Brights work well with it. Thanks! Mary

Shandeh
12-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Well, we could probably use about 6 squares made that way. So, you can make those if you want. :)

salos
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Sandy, I'll see what I can do to make 6 reasonable blocks. Thanks also for your Seed Blocks pattern. I'll try it.

Isn't it cool to do things for charity? It's the most fun thing in the world to me except teaching Sunday School.

Mary

kayrun
12-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I would like to help out if needed?
Karen G
in GA
kayrun on Ravelry

Shandeh
12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Isn't it cool to do things for charity?
Yes it is, Mary! My knitting for charity is much more satisfying than knitting for anything else.

I would like to help out if needed?
Thanks Karen! I'll send you a message with the details.

starburst
12-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I'd love to help out if I could. What size squares are you looking for?

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks Starburst! :)

We're making squares that measure 12 inches, using washable worsted weight yarn.

I'll send you a PM.

Dreaming Knitter
01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi, I finally chose my pattern, Vertical Zigzag Moss STitch from The Harmony Guide to Knitting Techniques and Stitches, using up my light purple acrylic yarn.

Have knitted my first 16 rows, will probably do 3 more repeats :-) will send you a pic by email since I have no idea how to post it here.

Thanks to this project, I have learned how to measure gauge, which I never did before with my scarves and hand towels :-) so it's been a true learning experience for me to be on this KAL.

Jan in CA
01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm still knittin'... have a bunch of multiple colored ones done and now plan on making some solids of colors and neutrals to help with the layout. ;)

Shandeh
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks to this project, I have learned how to measure gauge, which I never did before with my scarves and hand towels :-) so it's been a true learning experience for me to be on this KAL.
Neat!!! I'm so glad to hear that our project has made you a better knitter! :)

I'm still knittin'... have a bunch of multiple colored ones done and now plan on making some solids of colors and neutrals to help with the layout. ;)
Thank you, Jan! :hug:

Dreaming Knitter
01-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Sorry Shandeh, I just really couldn't do the photo placement thing, I tried three times :-( Anyway, here's the Flickr link instead, to my Light Purple Square, in progress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22097221@N06/2179754711/in/set-72157603675979227

Jan in CA
01-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Dreaming Knitter..your picture won't post because it's not the jpg of the photo. I tried to fix it, but I can't get to it for some reason on your Flikr site. Usually if you click "different sizes" on the lower right it gives you options, but yours doesn't so I'm not sure if it's a setting or what. The attached is what I see. You would copy the photo url to post it.

Pretty square though!

GennyLynn1962
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm still working on my squares, they are all solid colors so far with simple patterns. I hope to have more time to work on some more soon.

Shandeh
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Yesterday, I received 10 squares from Salos! :woohoo:

Thank you very much, Mary. They are beautiful!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2348/2182979331_065ca8e533.jpg

salos
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
You're welcome, Sandy. :muah:

Karina
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi
I think I will have a go at knitting one or two squares while I wait for the baby blanket to arrive.
Am I right in thinking this is worsted weight washable yarn, anything goes.
Karina

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi
I think I will have a go at knitting one or two squares while I wait for the baby blanket to arrive.
Am I right in thinking this is worsted weight washable yarn, anything goes.
Karina

You are correct! Washable Worsted Weight. :thumbsup:

Dreaming Knitter
01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Dreaming Knitter..your picture won't post because it's not the jpg of the photo. I tried to fix it, but I can't get to it for some reason on your Flikr site. Usually if you click "different sizes" on the lower right it gives you options, but yours doesn't so I'm not sure if it's a setting or what. The attached is what I see. You would copy the photo url to post it.

Pretty square though!

Thanks... I'll give it another try when I take another pic of my WIP square, which is turning out to look pretty and interesting on both sides :-)

GennyLynn1962
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Oooo, pretty squares!
Salos, what kind of yarn did you use for the blue squares at the top of the picture? I really like it.

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I read her earlier posts, and she said she used Caron Simply Soft for those squares, on her knitting machine.

sakura-panda
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Is Red Heart super saver considered washable worsted? :knitting:

I have a bunch of these in my stash (they used to be my favorite yarn before I visited an LYS and found out what I was missing). I used to crochet afghans -- not that I ever finished any -- and I have lots of "what was I thinking" colors. :rofl:

I'm planning to knit a bunch of squares to practice patterns out of my Vogue book and I would love to send them along if they will do (if not, I'm sure I can be persuaded to shop for more appropriate yarn. :) )

Jan in CA
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Is Red Heart super saver considered washable worsted? :knitting:

Yes, it is. It would work great for this project. :thumbsup:

salos
01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I read her earlier posts, and she said she used Caron Simply Soft for those squares, on her knitting machine.

Yes! GennyLynn, it's the blue that is part of their "Brights" collection. Glad you like them.

PurlyGyrl
01-14-2008, 03:06 PM
:grphug: Beautiful squares everyone!

I've been a lazy knitter--I've still not started by first square:waah: What with the holidays and the usual year end crazy-ness at work (lots of divorces :pout: filed after the holiday; and I've got IRS deadlines on a bunch of stuff:hair: ), I've been too tired to knit.
But this weekend is free, it is supposed to be cold and I have nothing pressing that HAS to be done, so I'm gonna snuggle up and KNIT :X:AND KNIT :X:AND KNIT:X: AND KNIT:X:.

Shandeh
01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
lots of divorces :pout: filed after the holiday
I guess they wanted to have one last holiday together. :shrug:

I'm glad you can finally knit again this weekend!
:woohoo:

starburst
01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
I promise I'll make mine soon! I had gotten pretty far in mine when all of the sudden, the cable on my Denise needles broke :( The whole thing started to unravel as I tried to fix it and I wasn't able to salvage the needles or the square. I do have a movie class this quarter, so I have plenty of time to sit and knit :)

KnitTwit
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Count me in, too! :woohoo:

Quick question: when a block is finished, should it then be washed and blocked? Just trying to figure out the time quantum theory thingie. :rofl:

Jan in CA
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I promise I'll make mine soon! I had gotten pretty far in mine when all of the sudden, the cable on my Denise needles broke :( The whole thing started to unravel as I tried to fix it and I wasn't able to salvage the needles or the square. I do have a movie class this quarter, so I have plenty of time to sit and knit :)
I washed mine, but acrylic doesn't block so there's no point.

Shandeh
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I had gotten pretty far in mine when all of the sudden, the cable on my Denise needles broke
Bless your heart! :pout: I'm sorry your Denise cable broke!

Count me in, too! :woohoo:

Quick question: when a block is finished, should it then be washed and blocked?
Thanks for joining! :hug:

No need to block your work. The knitted blocks pull each other into shape when they are seamed together. :thumbsup:

Lisa1216
01-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Sandy~I am sending you 3 squares today. I tried to get them as close to 12" square as I could. I will try and make a few more once I get this baby afghan done that I am working on.

Thanks again for being the "Hostess" for all of these charity blankets!:heart:

Shandeh
01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Thank you, Lisa! I'll keep my eyes peeled at the mailbox!

Shandeh
01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
I can remove the peel from my eyes now. I just got your squares today, Lisa! They are very nice! :inlove:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2212950449_5db6e2b52c.jpg

Lisa1216
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm glad they arrived safely! Thanks for posting a picture of them. I forgot to take one before I sent them off!

HollyP
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Lisa they look great! What patten did you use for the blue in the back? I looks familiar but I can't quite place it.

Lisa1216
01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Holly! I think it's a honeycomb pattern. I can't remember where I found it. I think someone posted it on here a long time ago. You start with an even number of stitches and a few rows of a border.
Pattern:
Row 1(RS): *K1 in the stitch below, K1* repeat between * across the row.
Row 2 and all WS rows: Knit
Row 3: *K1, K1 in the stitch below* repeat between * across row
Just repeat these rows until desired length.

losnana
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Shandeh, I finally finished and mailed 2 squares yesterday. Will try to do more later.

Shandeh
02-03-2008, 01:18 AM
I have received 3 more squares for our project!
Thank you! :hug:

Here are the two from Losnana:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/2226644392_61461a6605.jpg

And one from Tobinknits:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2235369890_4e0630e426.jpg

GennyLynn1962
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Sandy- I just wanted to pop in and let you know I haven't forgotten about the squares, I have 3 done and a 4th OTN, I figure I'll mail them when I get several done. If you need them to finish up a blanket PM me and I will go on and send what I have, I don't want to hold up progress.

Dreaming Knitter
03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm back... actually, I've finished the square a little over a month ago, but still have to wash it and weave in ends. My cousin's off to the US the end of this month, and she'll snail-mail the square for me, to you :-)

Here's a pic of the Lavender Square (was initially called Light Purple Square but Lavender sounded better), which I've already posted in Ravelry:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2223233320_a4da686e1d_m.jpg

KnitTwit
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
That's a beautiful square, DK! :waving:

Sandy, I've got 4 squares finished with #5 OTN. If you need them right away, let me know and I'll mail them, otherwise, I'll wait until I have a few more done. :)

Shandeh
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Here's a pic of the Lavender Square (was initially called Light Purple Square but Lavender sounded better), which I've already posted in Ravelry:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2223233320_a4da686e1d_m.jpg
What a beautiful square! :inlove:
Sandy, I've got 4 squares finished with #5 OTN. If you need them right away, let me know and I'll mail them, otherwise, I'll wait until I have a few more done. :)
No rush, my friend. I have enough to make a lapghan right now, so I'll go ahead and get going on that. You can send your squares when they are all ready. :thumbsup:

Cecily
03-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Hello - I saw your post in ravelry charity knitting group and have been reading this forum. I would love to contribute squares. Can you PM your address to me I will knit some up and send them your way.

Thanks
Cecily

Shandeh
03-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Thank you, Cecily! :hug:
I'll send the address in a private message in the forum, so keep your eyes peeled for it! :thumbsup:

Cecily
03-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi Sandy:
I received your address. I will knit a few squares up this week and mail out soon. I think this is a great thing to do for others.

Cecily

tilllie
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Sandy, I too just found this KAL. Is it open ended?? Do you still need knitters? If so, I would like to help....Tillie

Shandeh
03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Tillie! :waving:

Welcome to the "Many Colors" knitters! :hug:

You are more than welcome to knit a square for our charity blankets. :)

Just knit a square that measures 12 inches x 12 inches, using washable worsted weight yarn, and mail it to me. I'll send you a private message. Thanks!

Dreaming Knitter
04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Shandeh, can you please PM me the postal address where I can send the Lavender Square? :-) it would get to you later this month when my niece arrives in California :-)

Thanks,
Dreaming Knitter

lucky_alf2
05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I just mailed Shandeh my 4 squares. They probably could have used some blocking, but I sent them out despite that as I was mailing her an Oddball Premie Blanket anyways.....I have another square OTN too. I've found these to be a great little project to work on in-between my other big projects or just to have on hand when I need something to keep my hands busy. :)

Happy Knitting!

Shandeh
05-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you, Adrianne! They are GORGEOUS! :muah:

cheekyprincess
05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
How do we join in?
Angie

Shandeh
05-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Angie! :)

If you want to join, just make a square or two, and let me know when it's ready. I'll give you the address of where to send it then.

Thanks!

Shandeh
05-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Woo Hoo!! :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:
Today, I received a BOX FULL of TEN handknit squares from Jan in CA. They are so beautiful!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/2539693652_8ef6507497.jpg

She gave me some tea bags to try out as well. :inlove:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2298/2538870599_9f4eef48a6_m.jpg
I know what I'll be sipping on in a few minutes. cloud9

Thank you, Jan! :heart: :muah: :heart:

Kazbone
06-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi Shandeh,
I live in Australia, I have been looking for a charity that I can contribute to with my knitting. Sounds great can I also help out ,where do the suares go to etc.
Can I also have the address, new to this web site how do I receive a private message with the address.

Thanks very much
Karen:happydance:

Shandeh
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Karen! :waving:

I just sent you a private message. Hopefully, you'll get a little pop-up window on your screen, telling you about it.

You can see the link "Private Messages" in the upper right hand corner of this page. Click that to see your messages.

You can also set your forum preferences so that you'll be notified about forum messages in your offsite-email. (That's what I do.)

Kazbone
06-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Sandy I did find my Private messages and received the address. Thanks again. I did ask you a question regarding the worsted weight yarn I think in Australia that is 12 ply I was hoping you could confirm that for me.
Cant wait to get started I am trying to recriut some other helpers, fingers crossed.
Thanks Karen

kellybigeyes
06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I love the squares!! They are so colorful!

[QUOTE=Shandeh;1113974]Woo Hoo!! :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:
Today, I received a BOX FULL of TEN handknit squares from Jan in CA. They are so beautiful!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/2539693652_8ef6507497.jpg

Shandeh
06-07-2008, 01:28 AM
I did ask you a question regarding the worsted weight yarn I think in Australia that is 12 ply I was hoping you could confirm that for me.
Cant wait to get started I am trying to recriut some other helpers, fingers crossed.
Thanks for trying to get more knitters for us, Karen! :)

Worsted weight yarn is very similar to "Aran weight", if that helps at all.

kayrun
06-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks Sandy I did find my Private messages and received the address. Thanks again. I did ask you a question regarding the worsted weight yarn I think in Australia that is 12 ply I was hoping you could confirm that for me.
Thanks Karen

Maybe this chart will help?
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/convert.htm
(scroll down for the yarn conversion table)
another Karen
(in GA, USA)

Kazbone
06-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks Karen,
I had a look at that chart is was a great help.
I now know what I need to buy, off to the shop to buy the wool.

Thanks again everyone.
Karen

Shandeh
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
This past week, I received two more squares for our blankets from Constance123. :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2598976791_63e2c35eca.jpg

Shandeh
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Yay! I just got 4 more squares for our blankets from PurlyGyrl! :) Now, we have 40 squares - enough for two lapghans! :woohoo:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2860972805_a10923bf17.jpg

Shandeh
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I'm making a blanket now for Knitting Guy (Mason), since he lost his mother recently.

Usually, I give an Oddball Shawl for things such as this, but he's a guy, so he wouldn't appreciate a triangle shawl.

So, I'm using several of the squares that were donated by some of you in the past year. They all look lovely together!

I'll be adding a crochet border around each of them, seaming them together, then adding another crochet border around the entire blanket. It will measure 40 x 80, so it will be just the right size for the bed he uses in his big rig truck on the road. I've already told him about it, so I could get the correct measurements, as well as his preferred colors (earthtones, blues, greens)

Thank you all for your squares!

If any of you would like to send more squares for future projects, just use washable worsted weight yarn to make a 12 inch square. Send me a private message, and I'll give you the address for mailing them.

Here are the squares I'm using for the afghan:

sgtpam
01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes, I'd love to help...Thank you so much for doing this for Mason on our behalf!!! :hug:

I'm glad you posted on this thread, because I'd never seen it and would LOVE to participate and send you squares for whatever projects come up this year.:knitting:

Does it matter what type yarn other than washable worsted? What are your suggestions? :think:

Send me your address and let me know what you need...squares or whatever. Mine will be knitted. If you're short a color you'd like, let me know that, too.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again

YOU ROCK!!!

Shandeh
01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks Pam! You rock too, girl! :)

Any yarn is fine, as long as it's washable worsted weight.

Use up your stash! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Today, I received 5 more squares from a lovely person named Tillie. (I haven't figured out your KH Forum name yet, so please let me know who you are.) Thank you Tillie! :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/3199711533_c99e80eb3c.jpg

Also, I went to Michaels tonight to buy yarn for seaming and doing the border of Knitting Guy's blanket. I decided to get a variegated yarn that will work well with all the colors in the blanket. I think this one will work just fine. It's called "Bay Print", and it's one of the softer versions of Red Heart Super Saver.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3199717605_f228b17b58.jpg

Shandeh
01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm also working on a lapghan for another of our forum members who is needing our encouragement. "The.Knitter" has been dealing with some health issues lately, and needs our love. Usually, I send a shawl, but she is allergic to wool and stuff like that. So, I'm making a lapghan, using some of the acrylic squares that have been donated.

More details later!

HollyP
01-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Sandy do you have enough squares? I could definitely crank out a few if you need them.

Shandeh
01-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Hi Holly! :waving:
Yes, I have enough right now. I'll let you all know when I start to run out. :)

Shandeh
02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Today, I finished seaming and adding a border on a blanket for "Knitting Guy". Now, I just have to mail it to him!

Thank you all for knitting squares. :hug:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3253704597_e006563913.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3438/3253705129_bc582e0b43.jpg

Debbie
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
So pretty ... or should I say "handsome" ! The yarn you used to put them together is PERFECT!

ritaw
02-05-2009, 08:44 AM
WOW ! Looks amazing Sandy . You have done a brilliant job putting all those wonderful squares together.:)
I am sure Mason will appreciate it very much and know that we are thinking of him everytime he wraps up in it !
Thanks for including me x

Shandeh
02-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

I just measured it again today, and noticed that it's a couple inches smaller than he requested. So, I'm going to do two more crochet rows around it. I think I might use beige and brown yarns for that.

tgriffin541
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
If you do another blanket, I'd like to contribute some squares.

ritaw
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds good to me Sandy . A couple more inches of huggz :)

Shandeh
02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Today, I was able to do one more row of crochet before I passed out in bed again. (I have the flu right now) I used blue yarn for that, and it looks good. I'm going to use a light sage green next. They both look nice with the rest of the blanket.

If you do another blanket, I'd like to contribute some squares.
You're more than welcome to join in our project! :hug:
You can go ahead and make squares right now, using leftover yarn in your stash. (washable worsted weight) I'm collecting the squares, and using them as I see the need for lapghans and afghans.

MrsP
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Sandy! I love your squares and the afghan you made for KnittingGuy! It is great!!!

I really love the squares that are like a log cabin quilt square - do you know where I could find a pattern like that??

I have a lot of this type of yarn in my stash - I will make some squares and let you know when they are ready to send!!

ritaw
02-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Sandy !
Sorry to hear that you unwell . Please take care and rest. I hope you feel better soon x

Shandeh
02-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Sandy! I love your squares and the afghan you made for KnittingGuy! It is great!!!

I really love the squares that are like a log cabin quilt square - do you know where I could find a pattern like that??

I have a lot of this type of yarn in my stash - I will make some squares and let you know when they are ready to send!!
Thanks Amanda! :hug:
Believe it or not, I didn't make a single one of these squares. They were all handknit by other members of the forum. I've been collecting 12 inch squares for the past two years from forum members, to seam them together for charity.

If you ask in the "Pattern" section of the forum, I'm sure you'll find how to make the log cabin squares.

I'll be happy to accept squares from you. Just let me know when you're ready to send them my way. :)

Hi Sandy !
Sorry to hear that you unwell . Please take care and rest. I hope you feel better soon x

Thank you Rita! I'm finally starting to get better now. :cheering:

Shandeh
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Our blanket is ready to mail! :woohoo:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/3302838455_8b7a9cd312_m.jpg

Here's the top:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3303668502_6111e26503_m.jpg

And here's the bottom:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3302839849_445ca64bf6_m.jpg

:)

Shandeh
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
I received a beautiful square in the mail from a nice person named Gayle. :hug:

Now, I just need to figure out Gayle's KH Forum name. :think:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3303667168_6bd364f8a6.jpg

PeattieWa
02-24-2009, 04:10 AM
I received a beautiful square in the mail from a nice person named Gayle. :hug:

Now, I just need to figure out Gayle's KH Forum name. :think:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3303667168_6bd364f8a6.jpg

How pretty is that!! I'd love to know what kind of yarn she used. Becky:)

Shandeh
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
It IS beautiful! The yarn looks and feels like Red Heart Super Saver, but I could be wrong. It's bright and colorful, for sure. :)

Secksiebrat
02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
The yarn is red heart super saver and it's called "Williamsburg Print". I am actually using it for one of the acrylic pet snuggles :) I'm not sure who sent it to ya though, that's still a mystery!

~danielle~

ritaw
03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
The blanket looks wonderful ! Well done on putting it together . :)
Mason will love it :)

Shandeh
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks Rita! :hug:
I mailed it out a couple days ago, so we should be hearing how he likes it soon. :)

Jan in CA
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I mailed it out a couple days ago, so we should be hearing how he likes it soon. :)

I don't think he's been home for quite a while so it may take awhile unless he's on his way home now. I hope he has someone picking up his packages when he's not there.

Shandeh
03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh well....that's the way it goes sometimes.
We'll just keep watching until he says he got it.

I got delivery confirmation on the package, but that doesn't mean it's in his hands when it's delivered. I sent him a private message also. I've done all I can on my end. :pray:

Jan in CA
03-06-2009, 01:34 AM
:thumbsup:

The.Knitter
03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm also working on a lapghan for another of our forum members who is needing our encouragement. "The.Knitter" has been dealing with some health issues lately, and needs our love. Usually, I send a shawl, but she is allergic to wool and stuff like that. So, I'm making a lapghan, using some of the acrylic squares that have been donated.

More details later!

I am so looking forward to a nice lapghan or shawl made with love by my KH family! I am recovering from a whiplash and frozen shoulder and I am still having physio to try and get myself back on my feet again. I was only allowed to knit 2 rows a day for several months, but today they told me that it doesn`t seem to matter if I knit more than that because not knitting is not helping make the pain go away. I started back to knitting my DH his socks that he was supposed to get for Christmas. I can manage about one half an inch a day. I started the socks at the beginning of October and have finally finished the gusset on one sock. At this rate he is going to catch a cold before I finish his socks. Anyways, thanks to anyone who is sending squares for my lapghan or shawl. I truly do appreciate it!

gmmarton
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong, and know that better days are coming ahead.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

racjen
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
awwwww im 2 late

Jan in CA
04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
awwwww im 2 late

Nope, it's an ongoing project as far as I know.

Shandeh
04-21-2009, 11:48 PM
That's right! You're not too late! :)
I can always use more squares for making blankets.
:hug:

I'll send you a private message with the details.

Shandeh
07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
This week, I received a lovely square for our blankets from sgtpam. Thanks Pam! :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2626/3679228467_fc9624d010.jpg

Secksiebrat
07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a bunch of "granny squares" that I've "inheritated". Would you want them to use for these projects? They are crochet though. Let me know!

Danielle

Shandeh
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a bunch of "granny squares" that I've "inheritated". Would you want them to use for these projects? They are crochet though. Let me know! Danielle

No thanks, Danielle. I just use 12 inch knitted squares for making my blankets. It makes seaming a lot quicker.

I appreciate the offer, though. :heart:

I hope you find a use for your granny squares! :hug:

Nixie
08-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I would like to help with these squares. Will a cable pattern be ok?
I am new here and am computer illiterate. So please be patient with my lack of tech skills.

Shandeh
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I would like to help with these squares. Will a cable pattern be ok?
I am new here and am computer illiterate. So please be patient with my lack of tech skills.

Hi Nixie!
If you would like to help out, just send me a private message, and we'll see what we can work out.

Shandeh
02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Hello, friendly square knitters! :hug:

Just wanted to let you all know that I found a home for the rest of our handknitted squares. A knitter in Ravelry had a mishap in her home - her ceiling collapsed in her bedroom! The roof had been covered with LOTS of snow, and finally gave way under the weight. As a result, her bedroom was flooded, and all her bedding was ruined.

She asked if she could have some knitted squares, so she can seam them together to make a blanket. I am more than happy to send our squares her way.

This will be our last project for our "Many Colors" squares, and will bring our work to an end. Thank you all for your help!
:muah: