PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does it Take you to Knit a Baby Blanket?

mari_13
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm curious how long it takes you. My BFF is having twins and I'm making them tons of stuff but I started on a blanket and have already worked on it for 50+ hours and I'm only 1/3 of the way done. I'm discouraged because I know with my baby, I didn't have a preference for blankets. I just don't want to put tons of work into something to not be appreciated? I know she's super appreciative but I feel better about spending shorter time on smaller things like sweaters than something I'm so devoted to.

Anywho, in terms of days, weeks or months, how long does it typically take you to make a baby blanket? Do you make them for anyone or just special people? Thank you for your feedback!

suzeeq
10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
That's really relative to how fast a person can knit, what size needles and yarn and how large a blanket. Larger needles and heavier yarn will take less time than small needles and thin yarn.

mari_13
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Is the average worsted weight and 10 1/2 needles? How about that for speed? Just for curiosity's sake :aww:.

lucky_alf2
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm a slow knitter so it takes me a long time to make a baby blanket. I tend to make small blankets these days (stroller or car seat size) -- 4 weeks was the quickest one I made and it was double stranded with large needles.

As for appreciate -- My daughters have received lots of blankets from mostly relatives -- some quilts and some knitted. We love them -- I used them when they were little and they love to snuggle with them now that they are older. I am also fortunate to have one handed down to me from when I was baby -- I treasure it and have already squirreled awhile of few of the baby blankets my girls got for their kids to get some day.

mwhite
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I've done tons of them with size 11s in a worsted weight with good results. Another option is using 13s and 2 strands. One of my favorites was made with two strands, size 13s, using Bernat Baby Boucle and Caron Simply Soft in a gorgeous light yellow, using the simple, diagonal pattern. That pattern is fast and usually done within 3-4 days. Of course, that depends completely on spare time to knit and it can take as long as 2 weeks.

Ronda
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
It's taking me FOREVER but I don't get to knit every day.

ETA: I'm using sport weight yarn and appropriate needles. My next baby blanket will be done with worsted weight or 2 sport weights held together and bigger needles.

Is your pattern difficult? The pattern I'm using is very simple. Very. It is a simple basketweave pattern, so I just placed my stitch markers for when the stitches should switch from knit to purl. I don't even have to keep the pattern with me. All I keep track of are the # of rows.

Jax3303
10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I typically do baby blankets with worsted weight yarn and size US7 or US8 needles. If it's the only project I'm working on, I can get a 30" X 30" blanket done in about 2 weeks.

letah75
10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I still have all the baby blankets that were made for me when I was a baby (I'm 32 next month), and I love them.

When I get sick I have my sick pillow (shaped like a lion someone made me as a baby) and my baby blankets, that I cuddle with. The BF thinks I'm a big baby, and makes fun of me, but I've caught him cuddling with MY blankets when he's not feeling good. According to him I'm a baby but they make him feel better, and it's just good medicine.

The blankets will be appreciated and loved for many, many years. Some day my babies will cuddle with the hideously colored (off white and florescent traffic cone orange) acrylic blankets that I love so much. :teehee:

bobi1218
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
My first baby blanket took just about a month, knitting an average of 2 hours a night. My current one is going much faster, I'm about a third of the way through it, and I've been working on it for a week.

I know with my kids, we treasured anything handmade, especially blankets. My son (he's almost 4) still keeps one that a friend of mine made before he was born :)

mari_13
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Okay, thank you guys for the inspiration. It's only a 30x30 with a seed stitch border and basketweave middle. My first one for my son took 4 months! This one I've been working on for 2 weeks (2 days at 7 hours straight!) and still only 1/3 done. But I only have one best friend right? I guess I better suck it up.

Anyone else?

hob
10-10-2007, 02:54 PM
im kinda shocked to hear it takes people so long i did one in just over a week but it was just a seed st 2 strands of dk yarn. so maybe thats why it was so fast.

meearnol
10-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm knitting one and I feel like I've been knitting For. Eh. Ver. It's in a DK weight yarn on size 5s. I very well might not finish it until the kid is 18. I figure as long as he gets it before he graduates high school, it can still be a "baby blanket" :roflhard:

But seriously, I've been working on it for about a month. Probably longer. I'm about 1/3 finished also. Of course, I don't think I've put in 50 hours. Maybe, but probably not.

I wish you luck as you work toward the end. You can do it!!! :thumbsup:

debinoz
10-10-2007, 03:05 PM
It takes me around 2 weeks with ww yarn and 8's.

ekgheiy
10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Interesting. I made a simple basketweave st blanket with size 10's in about a week. Also keep in mind that while you're working on it a lot, after a certain point, it will *appear* as though you're going nowhere with it. And then all of a sudden, you're done. :thumbsup:

mari_13
10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I think what's making this so daunting is that I still have another to make right after!!!! It's already been 2 weeks (over 50 hours) on worsted weight with 10 1/2. I must keep reminding myself that I do love her dearly and her little ones deserve hand knit blankets!!!! I'm only at 10 inches of 30 hoped. They don't have a frustration smiley!:roflhard:

msmelody
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I know the feeling. I have two very dear friends giving birth to a total of three babies within one month of each other. They finally decided on the colors so I have started the first blanket and found the pattern for the twins blankets. I hope to get them to them before the birth, but I did not make any promises.

knitting4-2girls
10-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I am really shocked that someone can knit a baby blanket in less than a month. I have knitted three baby blankets and each took about a month. This was using Caron Simply Soft (worsted) and size 8 needles.

I'm not sure in terms of hours how long it took. I know I was able to knit about two hours a day on it.

raederle
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I started back up knitting seriously in May of 2005. (I had learned, but never did it continuously, always picked up my sticks for a winter, then put them down again after project stalled/spring came...)
I went to a "real" yarn store, where I bought a size 8 circular and 4 jillion balls of Sirdar aran weight. I used a real pattern for my blanket, (Ann Norling's Baby Blocks, as found in the Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber) tried to make a gauge swatch and failed miserably, returned yarn when sticker shock set in, bought some of it back when I realized my gauge was completely crazy, ended up altering the pattern to make it sideways, and finished with a month to spare before my baby was born October 2005.
So, from start to finish, it took me about five months to do a very simple project.
I also was trying to work on a hat, mittens and newborn socks. The socks and thumbless mitts were way too small on the day he was born, and I could never get the right gauge on the fingering weight yarn I was using for the hat. Making a sweater was laughably out of the question!
But I did finish the blanket, and I'm very proud of it, and it's washable, and we actually use it on his bed.

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten some Plymouth Encore, size 10 1/2 needles and made a diagonal blanket, where gauge matters not.

And my son is almost two and still sweaterless. I'm a bad mommy! But in my defense, El Paso's high was 88 today, and I suffer when I wear my wool sweaters anyway like a stubborn idiot. I don't make my son share my folly.

Jennmarie68
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I know it seems a bit daunting, but the second one will go faster. I tend to knit faster once I get the pattern burned into my brain. I'm doing a stole right now and the first half seemed to take forever but the second one is going much faster. I also made a big afghan and it only took me about 1 month, it was using Lion Brand Homespun on 10 1/2 circulars.

Don't give up, I LOVE to get and give handmade items. You can feel the love when you cuddle up under a knit throw.

LadyB
10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
It usually takes me a week or less for worsted on size 8 with a simple pattern. In terms of hours, I can usually average 2 hours of knitting per day, so that would be about 14 hours. The last baby blanket I did was with worsted yarn on size 8 with the feather and fan pattern. It took me about 1 1/2 weeks to complete.

mari_13
10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
It usually takes me a week or less for worsted on size 8 with a simple pattern. In terms of hours, I can usually average 2 hours of knitting per day, so that would be about 14 hours. The last baby blanket I did was with worsted yarn on size 8 with the feather and fan pattern. It took me about 1 1/2 weeks to complete.

Wow. I am in awe! I must be a slow knitter. I just made my toddler (16 months) mittens and it took 4 evenings (about 8 hours!). I don't even consider myself a newbie, I'm pretty intermediate! I know the pattern by heart! Oh well, as long as both get finished by February!