PDA

View Full Version : How do you save on yarn??

marciab
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a project that i want to do and it calls for 27 balls of yarn - each costing almost $14. That's almost $400 for a sweater dress!! I'm trying to find similar yarns that are more affordable but the cheapest I think I can do this is about $100. If you've had this dilemma in the past, how did you handle it? A hundred bucks may be ok if I only knitted one thing a year but I have so many more projects ahead of me.

aineepooh1
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey there..
alot of folks around here use yarndex.com.. it will list different types of yarn that could be used for susbstituting..
also Knitpicks.. is a favorite around here b/c the prices are so good~!:thumbsup:

Happy hunting~

Luvmyrottnboy
10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I have made a hobby out of buying yarn:) at discount prices.

I don't think I ever paid full price for yarn. I check Littleknits every day because she has great deals. I have a boatload of King Tut cotton (may fave cotton!) that is 45% off the price in the stores. I also got a lot of Noro (Big Kureyon, Iro, Transitions, Silk garden, Lily) at really good prices.

Discountyarnsale.com is good too. Last year I bought a bunch of Cash Iroha there pretty cheap.

Web's, yarn.com, has a discount program where you get 20% off if you buy $60 worth of yarn and they have some really excellent yarns on sale too.

Sarahsyarns.com has Jaggerspun Zephyr in lace weight and DK weight dirt cheap. I am wearing a Zephyr DK sweater right now that cost me under $30 to make. Her service is excellent, I have gotten orders the very next day!

TLC cotton plus is a wonderful cotton/acrylic blend that is only $2.69 a skein at Joannes. Good yardage (178) and great quality in a bunch of beautiful colors.

You could figure out how many yards you need for your pattern in the correct gauge and go from there. Yarndex is a great resource for yarn info too.

Some other great sites: discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com, yarnbythe bag.com

Ah yarn! Wonderful yarn!

knitgal
10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree marciab, it is really hard to fund some of my projects sometimes! I like to use nice yarn, like alpaca and merino and other soft fibers, but it can be SO expensive. I'm a student and I don't really have a huge yarn budget. This is a great thread. I hope people post lots more sites to buy discounted yarn.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-10-2007, 07:37 PM
i stock up on those 40-50 percent off coupons from joann's or i go and use the 10 percent off the total order. I also look for clearance and sales.

wandersfar
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Another option is to stalk Goodwill or other thrift stores. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find yarn on the cheap (varying quality, though). I've also been known to buy a cheap, ugly sweater (used or new) made of yummy yarn, rip it out and knit with that. Go for the largest size available if you want the most yarn, and avoid sweaters with lots of seams (few continuous strands of yarn).

Ripping out yarn also familiarizes you with sweater construction, so added bonus. Nothing like tearing something apart to see how it's made. :)

Jennmarie68
10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Another option is to stalk Goodwill or other thrift stores. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find yarn on the cheap (varying quality, though). I've also been known to buy a cheap, ugly sweater (used or new) made of yummy yarn, rip it out and knit with that. Go for the largest size available if you want the most yarn, and avoid sweaters with lots of seams (few continuous strands of yarn).

Ripping out yarn also familiarizes you with sweater construction, so added bonus. Nothing like tearing something apart to see how it's made. :)

That is a great idea, I never even thought about that, but it makes a ton of sense....

Lighting57
10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
How do you save on yarn??

I deprive myself. :cry:WAH!!!!
I'm so pinched for pennies most of the time I could cry.

aineepooh1
10-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Lighting 57... pinching pennies?:waving: check out our thread here on buy/sell/swap.. sometimes people will swap one yarn type for another or for a certain needles or books..
ALSO: sometimes people just give away free yarn ( when they are destashing ( thats a term for cleaning out the yarn bin~:rofl:) and I have seen peple just give it away as a first come first serve basis~~

Keep your eyes open~!:biting:

zkimom
10-11-2007, 06:54 AM
So many people have given you good suggestions here!

I just wanted to second the one for LittleKnits.com. Their bag sales are great and I have gotten lovely yarn for great prices.

There is also smileys (http://www.smileysyarns.com/). They even have trunk shows -- my mom just went to one recently in New Jersey.

Hope you find something you like!

Susan

GinnyG
10-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I buy ALL my yarn online, the LYS around here is just too too TOOOOO expensive. All of the sites above are great, I have them bookmarked and check them every couple of days.

I also buy a significant amount of yarn from ebay, I have automatic notification from ebay for many of my favorites.

You just have to shop shop shop til you find a good deal.

marciab
10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all of the suggestions - I never even thought about buying a sweater and deconstructing it for the yarn - genius!! Through the websites that have been listed, I've been able to get the cost of the sweater dress down to about $70 - a little more do-able. I'm going to continue to shop around while I finish my current project. One obstacle I'm facing (especially on ebay) is that the amount of yarn i need is 22-27 skiens/balls - depending on the yardage - of DK weight. It's difficult to find that much of one color or dye lot. But I won't give up!! :knitting:

marciab
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
And FYI - Smiley's is FANTASTIC! It doesn't have what I need for this dress but I will definitely be looking there for other projects.

GinnyG
10-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, ebay can have limitations in the amount available but not always!!! You just have to keep looking.

candicane
10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all of the suggestions - I never even thought about buying a sweater and deconstructing it for the yarn - genius!! Through the websites that have been listed, I've been able to get the cost of the sweater dress down to about $70 - a little more do-able. I'm going to continue to shop around while I finish my current project. One obstacle I'm facing (especially on ebay) is that the amount of yarn i need is 22-27 skiens/balls - depending on the yardage - of DK weight. It's difficult to find that much of one color or dye lot. But I won't give up!! :knitting:
What is the pattern/yarn? Maybe with more specifics we can help you search better. Also, do not go by number of skeins, you need to compare yardage instead.

Candice

marciab
10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I am doing a sweater dress from the most recent Vogue Knitting (forgot the name but it's pattern #36) in a size small. The total yardage it calls for is 3369 yds. of DK weight. Most of the yarns that I've found would amount to 22-27 skiens/balls to equal that amount. I have seen great deals on acceptable yarns but they don't have the color I want - a medium gray.

GinnyG
10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZoakeyezzQQssPageNameZST RKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

I may kick myself for posting this (who needs competition when bidding on ebay) but this is a seller I buy LOTS of yarn from. He sells conees of yarn in large quantities and is always adding more. The yarn is very nice, I have bought 20 or 30 cones over the years.

Most of his yarn is DK weight although he does occasionally have bulky weight.

You might find the perfect color from him if you are patient.

marciab
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
GinnyG - thanks for the information. And that dog is so cute I just want to put it in my pocket!! :)

candicane
10-12-2007, 08:56 AM
www.colourmart.com has great prices for large quanitites. I have never ordered from them, but have heard great things. Although the yarn still has oils on it, it can be washed. And I think for a small fee you can have them wash it (I would definitely pay for this).

candice

GinnyG
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
www.colourmart.com (http://www.colourmart.com) has great prices for large quanitites. I have never ordered from them, but have heard great things. Although the yarn still has oils on it, it can be washed. And I think for a small fee you can have them wash it (I would definitely pay for this).

candice

That is an interesting site, I'm not sure I can quite figure out what the price/yardage is but I'll look closer. Do you know anyone who has actually ordered from them? Is the shipping time lengthy?

candicane
10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Check out their reviews on ebay (they also sell there). I don't know about their turn-around time. I have ordered from Cucumberpatch who is also in the UK and received my order in 1 week, which is quicker than many of the US companies I have ordered from.

candice

PugMom
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I ordered some silk from Colourmart and it arrived quickly. I ordered 2 cones to make Sahara, and I have 1 1/2 cones left. I believe each cone was around $16 each, and shipping is included in the price. Really cheap. I do plan to order from them again, and I will probably have them remove the oils as they don't really give directions on how to do so.

marciab
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
maybe i should just scrap my plans to make this sweater dress. i love to make my own things but i could buy this soooo much cheaper than i can make it. the pattern calls for a merino yarn but even substituting in acrylic blends doesn't bring the price down to an affordable range. I'll give it a few more weeks - hopefully i'll be able to locate a deal before then. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - I'll definitely be using them for projects that are less extensive. :mrgreen:

GinnyG
10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
In pouring through Colourmart pages, it appears that all their yark is DK weight and lighter....... has anyone seen any worsted weight or bulky??

marciab
10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
There were a couple aran weights on there but that was the "thickest" i saw on there.

GinnyG
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
When I actually figured out the cost for a garment, I'm not sure they are that much cheaper than other places. But I need to explore a bit more.

They have some Rowan yarn that is actually quite expensive.

sarsnake
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
maybe i should just scrap my plans to make this sweater dress. i love to make my own things but i could buy this soooo much cheaper than i can make it. the pattern calls for a merino yarn but even substituting in acrylic blends doesn't bring the price down to an affordable range. I'll give it a few more weeks - hopefully i'll be able to locate a deal before then. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - I'll definitely be using them for projects that are less extensive. :mrgreen:

What's your affordable range?

I mean there are lots of sites that sell yarn for cheap but 3400 yards will probably cost you more than $70 no matter where you are buying that from.

Some sites I use:
elann.com
knitpicks.com
colourmart

borealowl
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Have you had to pay any import duties when ordering from colourmart or cucumberpatch? Or just the shipping fees listed?
I too use the many coupons from Joann's as they have some good quality yarns there like Patons Classic Merino, etc. I also watch for online sales. Have seen a lot of good deals on yarn.com but haven't ordered from them yet. Only thing I dislike about knitpicks is their totally unjustified extra $7 shipping fee to Alaska, that other companies don't charge, and would order more from them if they didn't.

hyperactive
09-23-2010, 04:23 AM
That much I would not pay for yarn, no. I totally agree.

I, too, keep an eye out for yarns all the time and therefore build stash just to save money :) Well, I do not mind and my husband has gotten to like the choice and only sometimes reminds me to check my stash before buying new :)

In Sweden I came across Malabrigo worsted in great green. 100g for 14 Euros. I did pass it up. And now will look for a worthy project, then bite the bullet. But only because I am drooling over this particular yarn for weeks now. And I will NOT buy that many skeins!

Have you checked garnstudio.com? You can order to anywhere I believe. Their yarns are good price I think. Just go and find out what yarns work with your pattern. You should get off a lot cheaper there. if 14 $ make 400 $, then you need to get to 3.50 or less to stay under 100 $ - there should be plenty of options there.

Good luck!

CountryNaturals
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Craigslist, eBay, garage sales. I have a huge stash, sorted by fiber content. When I have a large project I may have to combine yarns to get enough, but that just makes the project unique. :happydance:

Be sure everyone you know gets the message that you love yarn. Every once in a while someone brings me a bag or two of very nice yarn that they're tired of looking at because it reminds them of a long-abandoned project of their own. :thumbsup:

kmaclean
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
What a great topic! Thanks to everyone for posting their favorite sites for finding yarn deals ... I'll definitely have to check them out soon.

I love the idea of being able to shop at a LYS, but there aren't that many in my area and the ones that are nearby are rather expensive. So, I end up doing most of my shopping online ... unfortunately most places charge rather expensive shipping to Canada, and there are often extra duty fees charged for bringing products across the border :pout:

So anyways, glad to hear that I'm not the only one looking for ways to save on yarn ... thanks for sharing your tips! :muah:

llittlemissa
09-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Wow! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've been struggling between buying the yarn I want and the yarn I can actually afford... Ugh. I never knew there were so many other options!

AngelaR
09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey there..
alot of folks around here use yarndex.com.. it will list different types of yarn that could be used for susbstituting..
also Knitpicks.. is a favorite around here b/c the prices are so good~!:thumbsup:

Happy hunting~

I have to agree here. Knitpicks has been a lifesaver in some cases when the patterns calls for an exorbitantly expensive yarn, and I can buy almost the exact same yarn there. It doesn't always work, but in that case, yarndex has stepped up, then there is Ravelry, and the folks there are always helpful when you need one skein or ball to finish a product with a discontinued yarn.

I would also recommend Patternworks.com. They also have a nice dead tree catalog that you can leisurely peruse full of patterns and choice yarns that are really decently priced. I admit, the catalog keeps me occupied for hours if I don't watch out. :inlove:

knitcindy
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I have found wonderful deals on yarn from Craigslist, ebay and at Goodwill. I use acrylic yarn 99% of the time, so I don't look for fancy-schmancy yarn and that helps.

I once bought a HUGE trash bag filled w/yarn for only $20 from someone who was selling her grandma's old stash!!!!! Best deal of my life!!!!!! I always keep my eyes open on Craigslist!!!!!!!

knitcindy

barb2401
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great sites. I am new to this and am constantly looking for cheap yarn to sell at Aunt B's Yarn. I can see I will spend the day on the internet checking out the various site. Also want to remind everyone I have tons of Super Saver 7 oz skeins in the box in yellow. Sell it for $10.00 a box. Everyone have a great day.

trvvn5
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Much like the bullies in high school, I steal it from unsuspecting babies in stollers.

Seriously, though, craigslist is awesome if you live in an area where there are a decent number of knitters. Ravelry has a swap option too that is nice.

fatoldladyinpjs
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I use Caron One Pound yarn. Another option is Lion Brand Pound of Love. They're huge one pound skeins. I bought 5 skeins of the Caron last fall in various colors. I made hats, scarves, mittens, and gloves for five people in the family. I still had plenty to make mittens for charity. Those five skeins lasted me all winter for these small projects.

DogCatMom
06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I see that Smiley's has already been recommended, but I haven't seen anyone mention Bargain Yarns (http://www.bargainyarns.com/), which offers all kinds, from merino to acrylic, at good prices.

DCM

ArtLady1981
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I have this problem ALL THE TIME! The "signature yarn" making the total cost of the sweater be way way way more than I can afford, and way way way more than I want to spend on a sweater!

For example, I'd love to knit a sweater using Vicuna! The cost of the sweater would be $5000. :eyes: Ouch. Maybe for Oprah....

But realistically, I'm like you. I want a good yarn at an affordable price! If you spend $50-$100....
you'll always have an wonderful sweater, IMHO!

I don't think you EVER have to go up into that $300-$400 range! Ouch! :doh:

simoneasaursrex
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
My recommendation isn't simple. I mean you can always try www.yarndex.com but I don't really like it that much. I just don't trust ordering online, it's an OCD thing, I choose to buy instore.
You should start off by getting a membership card or signing up for the email list at your local / favorite yarn shop. Over time, the more you buy, the more you save. I'd also become way more conscence of what you buy. All together it's a total health thing. Yarn substituting is also more then just feeling around. You should research your substitutes.

dachsieangelgirl
06-30-2011, 05:04 AM
I have found some incredible deals on ebay. Just put in "yarn" and you will find some amazing bargains. I just got some "ICE" from Turkey and it is fabulous. Try it, I think you will be very pleased with the selections and the prices.!:muah: