PDA

View Full Version : Are DPN's on the endangered species list?

karne
10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Yesterday I had to go to Joann's to get some buttons, and I also had to get some #5 DPN's. They didn't have any DPN's, except for a sock set of DPN's from 0-2.

Ok, so I went to Michaels, they have a nice yarn section. Two sizes... neither of them 5.

I ended up going to Hobby Lobby, where they had them, but just barely. It was the last set.

I do have a LYS but they are pretty spendy, so I try to avoid it. I know that's awful, but what can I do? When I learn how to grow money, I'll shop there.

Have you had trouble finding DPN's?

Luvmyrottnboy
10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Yup. I ended up ordering them on-line.

sinistral_needler
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
They are hard to find on eBay too, unless you want to purchase a lot of god-knows-what needles.

Doublereeder2
10-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I also find the chain hobby stores here do not have many. And if they do, they are the larger ones.

I like Crystal Palace, Pony Pearls and the new KnitPicks Harmony DPNs. I go to my LYS (they carry CP) or order on line (for the other brands). After taking into account the cost of shipping, I usually find the LYS prices to be okay although they do seem higher per item.

meearnol
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I usually get mine from KnitPicks. I love their DPNs, and they're fairly reasonable (although I think they went up not too long ago). I tend to snap the wooden ones, so the metal works great for me. I know what you mean about them going on the endangered species list though. It can get frustrating.

simplethings
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I also had trouble finding DPNs. A few months ago I decided to just keep buying all the available sizes at craft stores and my LYS until I had a complete set. Now I have all the sizes between 0 and 11 so I don't have to worry about finding a size when I start a new project. ^_^

Jenn_Knitter
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
It's not just you. Last time I went to Michael's they only had very short DPNs in two sizes in bamboo. I don't prefer knitting with bamboo, so I ended up going to Hobby Lobby where they only had them in sizes 6, 7 and 8 which I rarely use.

annomalley
10-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Same boat. I end up going to the LYS to get DPN's because Hobby Lobby doesn't have a very big selection. My size 4 and above DPN's are bamboo. I have a pair of bamboo size 1 DPN's, but I can see where they would break on you if you're not careful.

I've noticed the same thing with circular needles, too. If it's not between sizes 8 and 15 and it's not 29 inches long, I have to get it online or at the LYS.

dakatzmeow
10-11-2007, 08:25 AM
my work is nearing completion. bwahahahahaha. j/k. i am soooooooooooo in love with magic loop and 2 circs knitting. i have a complete set of dpn's with multiples of some sizes and i simply DON'T USE ANY of them anymore. that's how much i love ml and 2 circs.

ETA: actually, i HAVE been using a size 9 dpn as a cable needle. ;)

meearnol
10-11-2007, 08:28 AM
my work is nearing completion. bwahahahahaha.

I laughed out loud when I read that. :) I just KNEW it was an evil plot, implemented by someone on the inside!!!! ;)

cranberry
10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
There is a website somewhere that you can buy used ones. I don't have the link but I know I've seen it around here. Or try complete sets on Ebay. I'm just slowly building up at Knitpicks though.

Jacklad
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm in Canada, but our local WalMart and Zellers (think KMart) both have a good selection of DPNs in sizes above 3mm. Michael's has some, but none of them are great for smaller sock sizes. Luckily our LYS carries a wide range.

Jackie

suzeeq
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I've seen sets in size 0-8 at my Hobby Lobby. They don't haveall of them all the time, but they do carry them.

brendajos
10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
i have never seen much of anything besides the yarn at Michaels. I got all my DPNs at Hobby Lobby while they were on their 50% sales (which was just in the last week i think.)

However, I would strongly suggest Knit Picks. I have heard nothing but good stuff from them and they are relatively inexpensive. They have made some sets from the DPNs too.

Of course, I never use my DPNs... except to scratch my back somtimes! ;) Okay I do use them once in a while because I have them in a cool little case that is easy to grab without having to put together needles. But I am all about the 2 circ knitting. almost no need for DPNs in my world. :thumbsup: