PDA

View Full Version : Any other infertile knitters?

booskibabe
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I've been dealing with IF for about 3 years now and knitting has really helped me deal with it. Hey, at least I can accomplish something! Anyway, I just wondered if there was anyone else here who struggle with the same thing, and if knitting has helped.

Jan in CA
10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I was lucky in that respect, but I know you are not alone here. :hug::hug::hug:

DianaM
10-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Although I haven't started trying to get pregnant, I know I have ovarian cysts and erratic ovulations, so infertility is a very strong posibility in my horizon.

My boyfriend and I have discussed this and if we can't conceive we'll definitely go with adoption.

Jenn_Knitter
10-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Many huggles! I have a five year old son, but I cannot have anymore children (I'm 26 years old). It's devestating, but I have found knitting to be a great distraction from it. Knitting is incredibly therapeutic and it does help take a person's mind off what's troubling them. I'm sorry you're struggling with this, but just know you're not alone. :)

jjminarcik
10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

I'm infertile, too. It contributed to a deep depression that knitting helped me rise from. I havn't gone through any treatments, but I'm sure that I will sometime in the future.

I know exactly what you are going through and if you ever want to talk, I'm always here!:heart::heart:

Pat in Ca
10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I had 7 miscarriages.. and one little girl who is now 15..recurring miscarriages is the same thing as infertility.. It was devastating, and I strongly recommend getting professional guidance.. I also was helped a lot by the support group in my area.. RESOLVE..they were a lot a ladies going through the same thing and they traded info on Dr's, treatments, adoption.. just everything involved in getting info on helping you resolve or find your own personal answers to this problem.... I was older and didn't have much time to play with... being a mother is a big decision, and there are many ways to becoming one..for some of us, it is a harder road.. but if you decide to make it happen, one way or another, you will have a special appreciation of motherhood.
I think RESOLVE must still be in existance.. you can try to google it for meetings in your area.. it is so upbeat and positive.. Good Luck

nonny2t
10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
:hug: to you in your struggle. I was one of those women who could look at my husband's pants zipped up and get pregnant, but was told not to have more than two children so my husband did the vasectomy route. God blessed me with two healthy children and I now have 2 beautiful grandchildren. I will pray that God would intercede and give you the child you long for.

As for knitting, though for me it isn't infertility, it is great for weight loss. You can't eat and knit at the same time. Of course, there is always the "set it down, take a bite pick it up again" method, which totally screws things up! :rofl:

booskibabe
10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Nonny2t - Thank you for your prayers.

Pat in Ca - 7 miscarriages..... wow. :hug: I can't even imagine the heartbreak you must have gone through. One of my greatest fears is that I'll finally get PG only to miscarry.
I will look into RESOLVE. Thanks for the tip.

jjminarcik - Thank you for your willingness to talk. It's taken me all this time to finally decide to pursue more aggressive options, so I can understand your hesitance.:hug:

Jenn_Knitter - I'm so glad you have a child. I'm so sorry for your loss of future children. That must be very difficult for you.:hug:

HanAku - You have what I have. (PCOS and irregular ovulation) In 2 years of charting my cycles (Which I would highly recomend, for educational purposes alone) I've had 12 cycles and I only ovulated in half of them. Please do yourself a big favor and research your options now so you will be as prepared as possible when you are ready to TTC. Even starting some supplements and making sure you reating habits are good now can make a big difference later. Just my $0.02.:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

msmelody
10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
DH and I have two wonderful children, but are facing the real possibility that they will be our only children. I am going through female problems that have been going on for over a year, and to the point where I just want to be able to take care of the children that we have.

I will probably grieve the loss of not having more children when I have the energy.

Jenn_Knitter
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
:hug: Hugs for everyone.

wewantmore
10-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I have PCOS and secondary infertility. I hightly recommend charting as well. Taking Charge of your Fertility is a great book. If it wasn't for it I would've never known I wasn't ovulating.

Kayla was a honeymoon baby, Joseph was a 7th Clomid first IUI cycle baby and Samantha was a I'm finally ovulating on my own after 2 years on cycle day 55 lets give it a try baby.

:grphug:

Michelle

DianaM
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
HanAku - You have what I have. (PCOS and irregular ovulation) In 2 years of charting my cycles (Which I would highly recomend, for educational purposes alone) I've had 12 cycles and I only ovulated in half of them. Please do yourself a big favor and research your options now so you will be as prepared as possible when you are ready to TTC. Even starting some supplements and making sure you reating habits are good now can make a big difference later. Just my $0.02.:thumbsup:

Yup, PCOS indeed. I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago and have been battling the lil bugger ever since. I'm currently on meds, a strict diet and try to remain as active as possible. I haven't been as dutiful with charting my cycles, but am trying to remedy that bit. Hopefully, when I do start trying to conceive I'll have good luck.

:hug: and best wishes to you ^_^

Edit: btw, there's a PCOS knitters group in Ravelry as well.

booskibabe
10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
If I ever get my invite to ravelry (Grrrrr taking forever LOL) I will be sure to check it out. :D

msoebel
10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I was blessed to have one beautiful little girl, but we have been trying unsuccessfully for a year and a half to have another. We never wanted to have an only child. I have an appointment next week to figure out what is going on. We know I am ovulating regularly, and my cycles are regular. We just don't know why I am not conceiving...it's a possibility that complications during my first pregnancy are a factor.

Knitting does help. It helps to keep busy so you don't have a lot of time to focus on the things that aren't working out like you planned. As weird as it is...it also helps me to make baby gear for friends' babies.

aslangirl
10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Yup, I am too...I'm almost 32, and was diagnosed with premature menopause about 4 years ago. And I 'm not married, so didn't even get the chance to TRY to get pregnant.

I do love knitting, and yes, it's something productive, but some days I feel like if I see another pattern for a baby blanket, or sweater, or hat, or booties...I'm just going to cry.

rennfamily
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm right there too. Our son took 5 years, 3 miscarriages, a failed twin adoption and 5 IUI cycles with injectables. This time around we were lucky with only a year, 1 miscarriage and 3 clomid cycles. There is hope and finding the right doctor is the best place to start. RESOLVE is a great jumping off point to get some really good info on doctors, treatment and general support. Most areas have support groups.

KnitClickChick
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Although I haven't started trying to get pregnant, I know I have ovarian cysts and erratic ovulations

Same here... I haven't had infertility tests or anything to confirm, because I feel like if the doctor doesn't say it to me, then there is always a chance it isn't true --- but I haven't used any form of birth control for 10 years and have never been pregnant, so I guess that pretty much confirms it whether I like it or not. If that makes any sense. Knitting is a great way to occupy my mind -- knitting things for my 6 yr old neice helps.

booskibabe
10-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Wow.... you ladies have gone through more heartache than I can comprehend. Thank you so much for sharing your stories!
:hug::grphug:

robynbird
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not infertile that I'm aware of although after 2 kids (4 years apart) no BC and not getting pregnant until my son was 5. I lost my daughter (Sophie) at 5 months gestation and 6 months later got pregnant and miscarried again. 2 years later and again no BC still not pregnant. I'm extremely regular. I haven't looked into it because I'm scared to get pg and lose another and my son is now 7 1/2. So I'm not sure why as regular as I am, 5 years of not getting pg, then twice in a year and then nothing again.

I know it's not the same thing. Please know you are in my prayers!

Abbily
10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Adding my prayers for you! It took me a year to get pregnant the first time- my cycles range anywhere from 4 weeks to 2 months long, so it was a challenge. My godbabies (twins) are the product of 5 years of infertility, several IUIs and 4 IVF treatments... so please have hope!