PDA

View Full Version : Do we need Knitters Anonymous?

knitmom
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I got a good laugh reading the most recent post by Habit Guy, who blogs (www.my-bad-habits.blogspot.com) about habits and habit change. He wrote a fictional account of a KnitAnon meeting for spouses of knitters. Got me wondering what a knitters anonymous meeting might look like. Hmmm... I can't imagine attending any sort of meeting without my needles. ;)

Habit Guy's point is a good one. As much as we joke about being "addicted" to knitting, knitting is not an addiction but rather a habit. Habit Guy talks about replacing bad habits with good ones. Maybe more people will take up knitting in an effort to replace some of their bad habits.

Mayday
10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
It's good to know thtat knitting can be a good habit! I took up knitting when I got pregnant to keep myself from smoking! On bad habit gone, one good habit in! I continue to knit to keep myself from eating all the time!

mayday

Ingrid
10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I think it's been decided hat KA meetings wouldn't work because everyone would bring their latest projects. We'd all go home and sneak on line and order the yarns we fell in love with. :teehee:

knitmom
10-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I think it's been decided hat KA meetings wouldn't work because everyone would bring their latest projects. We'd all go home and sneak on line and order the yarns we fell in love with. :teehee:

I hear ya! I wonder if KnitAnon would work to keep our spouses off our backs about our yarn purchases!

Ingrid
10-12-2007, 11:17 AM
The meetings would get them out of the house so we could hide our new yarn purchases and knit to our hearts' content, anyway!:rofl:

threesmom
10-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh, so I'm not the only one who hides yarn, smuggles said yarn into the house, and distributes it about the house in "stashlets" in order to lessen it's overall effect?:teehee:

Ingrid
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
A while back, someone said that we should smuggle yarn into the house in huge Maxipad boxes. THEY wouldn't get searched. :teehee:

threesmom
10-12-2007, 11:43 AM
:roflhard:
That would be ALOT of maxipads!!

:think:maybe we do have a problem .....

astonh
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I hear ya! I wonder if KnitAnon would work to keep our spouses off our backs about our yarn purchases!

:roflhard: My husband JUST asked me the other day if there was a support group for the family of an "addicted knitter". That is SO funny you guys are talking about that now.

Oh, and threesmom... Your comment TOTALLY cracked me up!

knitmom
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
:roflhard: My husband JUST asked me the other day if there was a support group for the family of an "addicted knitter". That is SO funny you guys are talking about that now.

You'll have to show Habit Guy's blog to your hubby! I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it too!

msmelody
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I would only go to the meetings if they would teach me how to buy and store yarn without DH finding out about it. And have yarn and needle swaps, so I can see and play with yarn that I cannot find near me. :roflhard:

Oh, my bad, I thought KnitAnon would be a great thing. Not sure I want to lose my habit.

knitgal
10-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I definitely think it would turn into a huge knitting group.
"My name's Ann and I have a huge knitting problem"

HA! I took out my a bin with some of my stash in it to show my mom when she visited the other day and my DBF was shocked. He said he didn't know I had that much yarn and that I never need to buy any ever again...NOT very fair if I do say so myself! Plus a lot of it was dishcloth cotton which I hoard for emergencies....dishcloth emergencies...

knitmom
10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that Knit Anon (as Habit Guy presented it) is a support group for spouses. I didn't ever suggest that Knitters Anonymous (or KA) would be a good idea! :-P Getting a bunch of knitters into the same room is a recipe for stash and project building!

Maybe Habit Guy is on to something. Wouldn't it be great to arrange a get together of spouses of knitters to occupy them while we go out to knit night! It would definitely keep them out of trouble!

Songbirdy
10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
No need for Knitters Anonymous... but could we start a drop of centre for family members and such so that we could just get on with knitting?

debinoz
10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Knitting and yarn buying ARE addictive and not just a habit. I know there's been a few times where I've paid less on a bill than I should just to get some yarn that I probably won't knit with in the next year. But, gee it was fun!!

PurlyGyrl
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Knitgal: Thank you. :notworthy:I know what I'm gonna say now to the question "Where you going? Didn't you just buy some yarn?"

"I'm sorry I can't talk now, this is a dishcloth emergency!"

:rofl:

astonh
10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah, I zapped that link over immediately! :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: He's been out running errands with the kiddos today so hasn't seen it yet, but I'm sure he'll find it TOO FUNNY and frighteningly too close to home. HA!

Debkcs
10-12-2007, 04:52 PM
but could we start a drop of centre for family members and such so that we could just get on with knitting?

Wouldn't that be wonderful!:yay:

And who are they to complain? How much does your SO pay on his or her projects? My husband is a Civil War Re-enactor, both sides, talk about an expensive hobby! I love the man, but I do believe that $ for a yarn project is better spent than $$$ his books and equipment cost. Sigh, at least he's not out in bars and such. Actually, he is supportive of anything I want to do, that's why we've been together for as long as we have.

astonh
10-12-2007, 04:56 PM
SO I just received an email response from the hubby regarding his thoughts after having read the blog about KnitAnon... Here was was he wrote.

"Where is this community center and when should I show up?"

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Ingrid
10-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I use that, too. When yet another box of yarn arrives and I see a :??, I mention the 3, count'em 3, rechargeable electric drills, and various and sundry other tools lounging in the basement, dusty an unused. I, however, knit every day.

I certainly don't need more yarn, though. :teehee: I tell him it's my therapy. :shrug:

Mulderknitter
10-12-2007, 06:11 PM
I just copied the post and sent it to DH. I am sure to get a laugh tonight.
i agree, a night where we could get all the DH's together and out of the house so we could knit in peace or at least get out our stash without interference would be welcome.
I am such a horrible stasher. I can't lie to save my life. A few weeks ago I went to an estate sale and bought about $130 worth of gorgeous yarn from a fellow yarn snob who had passed. I had planned on telling DH that it was only about $40 worth. But then I wanted him to understand the bargain I had really gotten because I got TONS of GREAT yarn (see my wonderful new yarn thread from 3 weeks ago) that I caved. :pout: I can't lie. I like to share bargains.

knitmom
10-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I just copied the post and sent it to DH. I am sure to get a laugh tonight.

I can't lie. I like to share bargains.

My DH loved the post too! I was surprised at how much of it he resonated with. I thought that he just sort of turned a blind eye to what I'm doing a lot of the time.

I'm with 'ya on the liking to share bargains too! The only thing better than buying yummy yarn is buying yummy yarn at a bargain!

Mazie
10-13-2007, 10:56 PM
SMART!

jeanius80
10-14-2007, 12:40 AM
:rofl:Oh MY! i laughed when i read "dishcloth emergencies!" that must be what i was/am doing instinctively! I have about 12 little balls and 3 huge balls of 'kitchen cotton' :shifty: and ummm, i've only knit 2.5 dishcloths:teehee: must be a knitterly thing to do!

and my dh isn't an issue when i knit, but dd is! she loves to pull my yarn and needles w/o fail. no matter what i am knitting :frog:

Debkcs
10-14-2007, 03:16 AM
but dd is! she loves to pull my yarn and needles w/o fail. no matter what i am knitting

And that's how you got that adorable picture! What a cutie she is.:hug: