PDA

View Full Version : FO: Manos Del Uruguay Afghan...finally complete!

knitgal
10-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I can't believe it's finished. I started this afghan in January and it's finished. I took a break during the summer because it was so hot to have the wool on my lap while I was knitting.
It's made of 12 skeins of Manos Del Uruguay wool in 4 colours, 105 (variegated), 67 (green), 26 (rose), and 11 (blue). I knit it in strips and then sewed them together, blocked them and I just finished putting on the fringe. I was going for a "thrown-together" look, sort of rustic and I like the way it turned out. I can tell that I have become a much better knitter since January, and I was tempted to re-do some of them squares, but i sort of like it.
I would definitely recommend this pattern to everyone, but it was a little expensive considering how much a skein of Manos is, but I am thinking ouf it like an heirloom.
The first picture shows the afghan being blocked on garbage bags. It took 4 days to dry because it was so humid out.
The second picture is of the completed afghan with fringe. The frind looks sort of cute because it has each colour in it.
The third picture shows Lucy sniffing the afghan. She was so curious and wouldn't stop smelling it. I guess because it's animal fiber! It also shows a close up of the squares and my first attempt at sewing something up.
The pictures don't really do it justice, but here they are:

dip's mom
10-12-2007, 06:35 PM
It looks great and I am sure it will be an heirloom. My mom made me an afghan 35 years ago and it is still at the foot of my bed and is a wonderful memory of her.

Jan in CA
10-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Very nice! I like your color choices.

Itsabtme
10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow:inlove::inlove:That is absolutely beautiful.

Congratulations!:notworthy:

Y'all amaze me...I'm still making scarves, dish clothes, and (small) baby blankets.

ah
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Looks great!

ritaw
10-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I think it looks wonderful. Well done .

Dangles
10-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Very nice!

nonny2t
10-13-2007, 05:41 AM
It's just beautiful!

knitgal
10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone! It really does look a lot better in real life, but you'll just have to take my word for it. I just realised how dark the one blue square is compared to the rest. I guess that's what happens with no dye lots and yarn that is dyed by hand.
It's funny you mention the colour choices Jan, they were sort of an accident. I had two skeins of the blue to make a hat and I didn't like how it was turning out so I frogged it and put them in my stash. Then I joined a "square a month" afghan group and they were using Manos...how perfect! Then I just picked colours I liked and it turned out okay. My aunt even said, "I wish I had an eye for colour like you" and I really just picked what I thought was pretty.

KnittingNat
10-13-2007, 10:13 AM
It looks really warm and cozy! :cheering: for the patience!

rissa
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I like it! You did a fabulous job! I'l have to do something like that soon..once my Christmas scarf-athon is over, lol!

dustinac
10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
:woot:Great job!! It's very pretty and looks so warm and cozy...:happydance:

GiddyKnitter
10-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Fabulous!!! Lucy seems to like it too.

mdog182
10-13-2007, 05:45 PM
man, i've been working on two BIG blankets also for what seems like forever....seeing your finished afghan gives me hope that i CAN finish them! haha! your afghan is beautiful

ladyjessica
10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow! That is just gorgeous! It looks a lot like the afghan I'm making, also from Manos. I think it's called the four seasons afghan, or something like that. The squares look similar. Congratulations on a job well done!:yay:

knitgal
10-13-2007, 09:59 PM
It IS the Four Seasons afghan! How are you finding it? There's a mistake in one of the patterns and I just left that square out, I think it's the "spider web". There were the wrong amount of stitches or something. I really enjoyed knitting it, but I'm glad it's finished.

ladyjessica
10-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow! Small world. lol. I've really enjoyed working it, but it seems like it's taking FOREVER. I started it in September 2006 as part of a class - we did a square a month so it didn't seem like too much at once. However, I decided to do 20 squares instead of 12, since I'm tall, and I'm just now working on the 12th one, so I still have a ways to go. I like some of the squares better than others. I don't recall having any trouble with the spider web, but it's been so long since I actually did that one that I don't really remember it. Thinking back, we might have altered it to make it work. Yours is so beautiful and it gives me an idea of what I'm working toward. hehe. Again, fantastic job! :)

knitgal
10-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Mine took a long time too. I started it in January with a group that was working on a square a month, but they had started in June, so I had missed a few! My aunt made one too, and she did 16 sqaures. This was my first big project, so I just stuck with the 12. I didn't love all of the patterns and like I said I had trouble with spider web. What colours did you use? I feel like mine looks like a jumble, but a "rustic" jumble. I love the afghan now that it's finished though. I'm cuddling up with it right now actually. It's so warm and lovely. Can't wait to see your pictures when it's finished.

ladyjessica
10-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I started with a variegated yarn that had really dark purples and browns and then light beige and pink and green, and then I did solid color squares with colors that I picked out of the variegated one. But then I got tired of those and picked another variegated yarn, and then started picking solid colors out of that one. It'll probably be one big jumble, too, when it's finished, but I think I'll like it. I'll definitely post pics in several months when it's done. hehe. :teehee:

AnotherBecca
10-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Love the color combo! Pretty!

Cristy
10-14-2007, 11:58 AM
that looks great!!!

speattle
10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Is this from the Home Decor book? I am on square 12 (YAY!) of the "Harvest" pattern from that book. I've been in a "12 months to an afghan group" and we do a square every month. I am a bit ahead and I have the first 2 strips sewn together and blocked.

Most everyone in my group is using the Manos yarn, but I am using a more budget friendly and easier care Plymouth Encore.

Your afghan looks absolutely beautiful.

AnnaT
10-17-2007, 02:09 AM
That is a really beautiful afghan! :heart:

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Beautiful! Love :heart: those colors. And I see that it got the Kitty sniff of approval (that's always a plus!):teehee:

honeybunmom
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow! What an accomplishment! It's really lovely.

knitgal
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes speattle, it IS the Home Decor book. I never thought of using Plymouth, but I probably should have, this was a VERY expensive project. I am now planning a new afghan out of Plymouth actually...

speattle
10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
I used the Plymouth Encore.worsted, but if I were going to do another, I think I would do the Encore chunky. I like the "meatier" look of the Manos ones.

Hygiene Mama
10-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Beautiful! Doesn't it feel good to have it done?

MerigoldinWA
10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Very nice work and the luxury yarn will make it extra special, even if it did set you back a bit. :-)

GinnyG
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
That is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a GREAT job!

The.Knitter
10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Wonderful. Kind of sad sometimes finishing a project you've been on for that long. Makes you feel like you've lost a friend. Now you have another though. A nice warm afghan to cuddle up in. Beautiful work. Now on to the next WIP for you!