PDA

View Full Version : Juliet

kristinw
10-14-2007, 12:10 AM
So is anyone knitting Juliet (http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/4944404)? I started last night. I am using Malabrigo double stranded. It is going along quite quickly!

ritaw
10-14-2007, 03:05 AM
That is so pretty. I might have to put that on my to do list . Thanks for the link :)

Amerielle
10-16-2007, 08:43 PM
I have just started this one too. It is going well so far...It will be my first sweater.

kristinw
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Yay, someone else! :cheering: What yarn are you using?

Amerielle
10-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I am using Bernat Softee Chunky. I didn't want to wait for yarn to come in the mail and there was the Bernat waiting at Wal Mart for me! So far, it is knitting up nice and soft. I am hoping it will not be stiff when I get to the bottom. Have you seen the KIA at http://www.sexyknittersclub.blogspot.com/ ?

Jackie F.
10-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm knitting a Juliet-inspired cardigan for my 2-1/2-year-old. I'm using Bernat Satin Sport with Bernat Softee Baby, and it's taken just under 2 skeins for the first and 1 skein for the last. I'm trying to make a decision on the sleeve length: I'll probably go with the cap sleeves, but I've been contemplating long sleeves as well. I didn't buy the pattern, so it's been fun trying to guess from pictures!

kristinw
10-19-2007, 12:47 PM
April - I did join that other KAL. I was worried mine would be too stiff since I am double stranding. But it is coming along nice. Soft and squishy. I just separated the sleeves (I'm going to make them a bit longer - more short sleeve than cap sleeve) so I shoudl be to the lace soon.

Jackie - cool! I could never just knit something like that without a pattern.

I'll take pictures today to share my progress.

robynbird
10-19-2007, 07:55 PM
i want too! I love this pattern. I am just not sure what yarn to use....

kristinw
10-20-2007, 11:39 AM
i want too! I love this pattern. I am just not sure what yarn to use....

Got anything in your stash you could use? Anything worsted or bulky will work!

robynbird
10-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I did start this awhile ago using 2 strands Simply Soft. Yuck - too bulky and I think I like SS for afghans but definitely not clothing.

I'm hot natured so I'd like to make it single stranded. I have Cascade Cloud 9. I have 10 skeins approx 1090 yards. I'm also a big girl w/a bust size (largest part) of 45". However, reading around Ravelry has given me the clue that this knits up big and someone shared that the bust size measurement should actually be under the arms/high bust measurement which makes it 41" for me. And many are downsizing 2 sizes. So I'm confused! this is my first garment for me...help.

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Go for it! That should be enough of the Cloud 9.

robynbird
10-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Reposting from my edited post...sorry:

I'm also a big girl w/a bust size (largest part) of 45". However, reading around Ravelry has given me the clue that this knits up big and someone shared that the bust size measurement should actually be under the arms/high bust measurement which makes it 41" for me. And many are downsizing 2 sizes. So I'm confused! this is my first garment for me...help.

suzeeq
10-20-2007, 01:18 PM
The only thing to do is knit up some of the yarn on the needles called for and see what you get for sts/inch. Then compare that with the pattern. You could probably go up a needle size and make the XL, or just do the 2X size if you think it won't be large enough. But since the pattern includes the bigger sizes, you can choose the one with the best fit. Since this is a top down pattern, all sizes probably start out with about the same number of stitches; you knit until it's large enough to fit.

robynbird
10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
OK I got gauge using US10 and one strand of the Cloud 9. :) I'm going to cast on tonight. :)

ADAllen
10-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Yay for this KA:cheering:I was given this pattern as a gift in the last swap. I'm not certain when I'll get to start working on it, because I don't know how long my Christmas knitting is going to take me. Until I get started, I'll be here lurking along and absorbing inspiration.

kristinw
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Yay Robyn! :cheering:

That's awesome you got the pattern Amanda! Hopefully we will give you some guidance.

Well since I am the most indecisive person ever, I started doubting my double strand. I cast on again. Still with Malabrigo, but with one strand and size 10.5 needles. And I am doing the M now instead of the small. I found the S to be too small across my back and front.

Although I am hoping to knit the S for the lace section but I'm not sure how to go about decreasing down to the correct number of stitches when I get there.

Amerielle
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, I bound off the sleeves last night! Before I bound off I had the right amout of stitches! Yea! That is a victory for me. After bind off I was over two, but I know it was because I was a bit unsure where the pattern says bind off sleeve stitches, remove marker and knit (or something to that effect). I wasn't sure if I was supposed to bind off that last stitch after removing the marker, so I didn't...oops. Fixed it by decreasing under the arms in the next round so it all worked out. :cheering:

I am also wondering how I might adjust the pattern at the lace if it ends up a bit to poofy. Maybe Kristin will get there first. :)

suzeeq
10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
If you want it smaller in the lace section, use a smaller needle size.

kristinw
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
If you want it smaller in the lace section, use a smaller needle size.

Thanks Sue! You are so great! I was hoping you would check in! Do you think that will make a big enough difference? I am using a 10.5 needle now, so how many sizes do you think I should I go down?

suzeeq
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Just one should be enough. I made a tank top with lace on the bottom. I used 10.5s for the body, but when I went to do the lace it flared out a lot, so went down to 10s and it's fine.

kristinw
10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks again. That's what I will do. I think that is what people are finding - that it poofs or flairs a bit on the lace.

Jackie F.
10-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Here's a pic of the cardigan I made for my daughter. It turned out too big, even with swatching, so it'll be going to my 5-y-o niece instead. In the meantime, I've started a new Juliet for my daughter after re-calculating my stitch counts. For more detail, please see my blog. ;)

Amerielle
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Jackie, that is really cute!

Sanibelle
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I love this pattern - I started it a few weeks ago - I am up to the part you start the lace design. I had some Knit Picks yarn in my stash that I doubled. I am making this for someone else so it will be fine for that person. But when I make it for me I have already bought some Debbie Bliss Chunky Cashermino - I think I will like it not so bulky as it is with the 2 strands of the worsted weight yarn. I am making the longer version.

The pattern is great - you knit it all in one piece - no sewing when you are done!!!

Amerielle
10-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, I made it to the lace! Now for my probably silly questions...

The patterns says to set up (RS)...is there a RS at this point?? It's all garter so I don't see which is which, or are they just getting us going on RS and WS?

and

Should I decrease my needle size now or when I actually start the lace?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

suzeeq
10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I think it would mean that the next row will be the RS, so mark it so you'll know. Keep with the same needle until you start the lace. A lace pattern expands more than garter or St st, so using one size smaller will keep it from being too expansive.

robynbird
10-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, my Juliet is coming along nicely. I just put the sleeves onto scrap yarn (I'm going to make them a bit longer than cap length) and have knit a few rows. I'm making the longer version and I'm loving the yarn I'm using. Sooooo soft!!!

kristinw
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I put my sleeves on scrap yarn too. Although I just tried it on and I don't think I will have to add too much length to them. I think an inch or so should be fine.

I have about an inch to go before I start the lace. Yay!!! Here are a couple pics I took the other day. Not the best because I took them with my phone but you get the idea. I'd love to see progress pics from you guys too!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2046/1765218599_f913d09d5e.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)">http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/1766062582_74d4a6ffb5.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

robynbird
10-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I love the blue! It's so pretty. :) Here are some of my progress so far

kristinw
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks! Yours looks great too!

Amerielle
10-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Yours both look great! I still haven't started the lace section, but I am ready to go. I think I got a bit carried away and ended up with 5 inches of garter under the arms, but I think it will work. It is very difficult to get a good picture of mine...it keeps looking like a black blob. This is the best I was able to do.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Aprils_Garden/100_3943-1.jpg

kristinw
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
It looks great April! Looks like we are all starting the lace around the same time. I just got done the garter and am getting ready to do the set up row. :cheering:

robynbird
10-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Looks great! I haven't had much knitting time today so I'm not quite at the lace yet, but soon I hope! I want to finish it so I can get on with my Christmas knitting. :)

robynbird
11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I just started on the lace part last night. I got one repeat done. It's looking really nice. :)

Amerielle
11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, I am hating the lace section. I think it is the acrylic I am using. I should have had more patience and waited to order something with a bit more "give". I am also finding that it seems to be too big in the back and I am getting a gap.

I am thinking about putting this on hold until I get some different yarn and just starting over. Lambs Pride Bulky maybe?

robynbird
11-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Anyone still working on this? I have about 2 more repeats of the lace before I'll be done with that. Then I'll pick up the sleeve stitches...I haven't decided how long I might go though.

How is everyone else doing?

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm doing a knock off of it; I just put in my own lace pattern. It's acrylic and has plenty of `give' whatever you mean by that. I have probably about 2/3 the length I need for the body, then go to work on the sleeves.

The.Knitter
11-18-2007, 01:18 PM
This pattern knit up with smaller needles and with a finer yarn would make the perfect bed jacket. I have been looking for a nice bed jacket type pattern. Any suggestions on gauge, needle size and yarn suzeeq (keeping in mind I am allergic to wool)? Thanks for the help.

:hug:

Miley384
11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I just joined yesterday so I have no clue what "Juliet" is. Sorry! ;)

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
A top down raglan cardi vest with the top in garter stitch and the body in a lace pattern. I'm making mine with long sleeves. http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/4944404

QSG123
11-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I have it half done, but the increase did not work for me, it would have been far too big at that point, and tentlike. So instead I just increased a few stitches to make a little bit loose.
Gabriella

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 03:40 PM
One thing that's been discussed is doing the lace part on needles one size smaller. Then it won't flare out as much.

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 03:42 PM
This pattern knit up with smaller needles and with a finer yarn would make the perfect bed jacket. I have been looking for a nice bed jacket type pattern. Any suggestions on gauge, needle size and yarn suzeeq (keeping in mind I am allergic to wool)? Thanks for the help.
:hug:

Caron's Simply Soft, RH soft, Vanna yarn - all those would be good and you could use size 9 or 10 with those yarns.

The.Knitter
11-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Caron's Simply Soft, RH soft, Vanna yarn - all those would be good and you could use size 9 or 10 with those yarns.

Thanks so much suzeeq. I think that will be put on my to-do list then. I really like it and think it will be good for the purpose I have for it. Juliet, here I come!

QSG123
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I am a knitter of 50 years, but that pattern has a big problem. After increasing it became a tent, and I had to modify it.
Gabriella

suzeeq
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Again, I think the lower part in lace should be done on a smaller needle. It's supposed to be loose and swingy though.

kristinw
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I've had ADD with this. LOve the pattern and yarn but I just needed to work on something else for a while. I'll be picking it back up soon.

robynbird
12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I finished the body and now will be picking up the sleeves to make them a tad longer. I really like. I knit it a size smaller after reading on Ravelry how it comes out big. I'm going to modify the sleeves, make them longer and then add one repeat of the lace pattern at the bottom. We'll see how it turned out. :) You can see pics of it at my knitting blog or on ravelry.

The.Knitter
12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I forgot to ask, where would one get this pattern please?

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Right here - http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/4944404

robynbird
01-01-2008, 03:03 AM
I finished! Photos are here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1033429#post1033429

kristinw
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
It came out really great!!! I love how the sleeves came out too! I really should get back to mine.