PDA

View Full Version : Cable Needles

DonnaS
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Ok I officially don't like the little metal cable needles. Is there anywhere to find bamboo cable needles? The ones I've seen on the videos on this site are just smaller DPNs? Ideas?

I'm about to go buy some dowels and make some.. ggrr :thumbsup:

jjminarcik
10-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I made mine out of dowels and they work great! Go for it!

Becky Morgan
10-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Sure there are bamboo circulars. Wal-Mart even has their own now (I'm using one of them as we speak. The joins are a little bumpy, but at $2.44 the price was right and I have plenty of teflon tape.) Jo-Ann's and Michaels both sell Takumi bamboo circs in a variety of sizes.

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I know what you mean!-- the metal hook style is so awkward. I LOVE my wooden ones-- they're straight, which looks like the stitches would fall off, but lo and behold, the geniuses behind them put wooden grooves in and they work BEAUTIFULLY. Patternworks.com sells them, and knitpicks.com is going to have them in their new Harmony line.

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Here's the link to the ones Patternworks carries: http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300027.htm

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
And here's the link to the Harmony ones: http://www.knitpicks.com/+Harmony+Wooden+Cable+Needles_ND90347.html

suzeeq
10-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Not circular needles, Becky, she means the short ones you hold your stitches on while making cables.

And you can use about anything for a cable needle - pencil, chopsticks, skewers, make your own out of a dowel...

bobi1218
10-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Have you tried cabling without a needle? I find it easier, and my cables come out nicer too :) Its really not as hard as it sounds!!

DonnaS
10-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks britty! Yes those are the ones I'm talking about.. not Circs :)

How do you cable without a cable needle Suzeeq?

suzeeq
10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Bobbi wrote about that. Here's one explanation http://www.grumperina.com/cables.htm and another one here... http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/cabling_without_a_cable_needle
but I sometimes just hold the first set of sts (only works for one or two) while knitting the second set.

DonnaS
10-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Oops.. my bad :)

I'll have a look but i'm doing these on straights :)

suzeeq
10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
You can do it the same way on straight needles too.

rissa
10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I know one lady here uses bobby pins to cable!..so you can use many different items to cable. I usually use dpns, have dabbled in cabling without a cable needle, but I have to admit, I've really been eyeing those harmony knit picks cable needles! :flirt:

mwhite
10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok I officially don't like the little metal cable needles. Is there anywhere to find bamboo cable needles? The ones I've seen on the videos on this site are just smaller DPNs? Ideas?

I'm with ya, Donna! My stitches slip off and have started using a wooden dpn. I like the dowel idea, Thanks! Mary

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Rissa, I don't know if you've tried the Harmony dpn or circular needles, but I LOVE them. They are very, very smooth. My only complaint is that they aren't quite as brightly colored as the web photos would suggest. But they work beautifully.

rissa
10-14-2007, 10:41 PM
britty, I have the full options nickle plated set. I adore them! I've thought about getting a few of the harmony in the sizes I use most often and also in dpns, as well as the cable needles. My problem is finding the money to do it! :teehee:
Maybe it'll end up being a Christmas wish item, we shall see! :)

Becky Morgan
10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh, those! D'oh! When I saw...I forget who it was...on KG cabling with no needle, it was such a relief! (And for big cables? Toothpicks. Crochet hooks. The skewers out of your hair holder. Anything but the slippery hooks.)

kindermen
10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
I see you live in Birmingham. I shop @ A LYS called In The Making. GREAT store. I got a wooden cable needle there and love it. You will be blown away with their selection!!!!!

AnnaT
10-16-2007, 02:20 AM

I don't even use a cable needle. I just use a similar size dpn.

Songbirdy
10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Just because I'm sure a newbie might wonder,

I personally use and love those metal cable needles. But I found the catch is to use one very similar in gauge to prevent the sts from shrinking too much.

I don't have much luck with cabling with out the needles... I knit fairly tight I guess.

And I don't like the dpn because I like the way the angle in the cable needles prevents me from too many needles in my face syndrome.

scubasinger
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Like AnnaT, I just use a similar sized dpn. I don't like the metal ones because they're often too small of a diameter. If I'm doing cables on a #8 needle, those little metal cable needles are only about 1/3 of the size. I slip stitches to it and then the stitches tighten up too much. Dpn's are much more handy, in my opinion. Plus I've usually got tons of them floating around.

cookworm
10-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I made mine out of dowels and they work great! Go for it!
Me too! And if I lose it, it's so cheap and easy to replace, I don't worry about it. Mine works great!

nadja la claire
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I made mine out of bamboo skewers. You just cut one do to the size you want, sharpen the cut end and then sand it and voila you have a great cable needle and if you lose it you have a whole pack of them.

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I just got a notice that KP is not going to carry the Harmony cable holder! :cry: So for those of us who like the straight ones with ridges, it's back to the bamboo. (Which are great, mind you, but just not so colorful!)

MamaMer
10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I got this set of three birch needles, they are skinnier in the middle and hold the stitches quite nicely. usually I use a dpn though, it is easier to find:teehee:

PurpleIris
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Tried those tutorials and they are great! Now I will do one of those "classic" tennis sweaters w/cables all over them but never tried because thought they would take too long w/all the needle handling. As soon as I get thru my wannado list. LoL

Thanks

Sharly
10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I see you live in Birmingham. I shop @ A LYS called In The Making. GREAT store. I got a wooden cable needle there and love it. You will be blown away with their selection!!!!!

Hi! I'm a little south of B'ham in Eclectic. Have never been to an LYS - can you tell me where "In the Making" is located? I would love to visit!!

Mazie
10-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I should live so long......

Have you seen the length of my 'wannado' list?

rosefields
10-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I got this set of three birch needles, they are skinnier in the middle and hold the stitches quite nicely. usually I use a dpn though, it is easier to find:teehee:

Yep, those are the ones I use too...love 'em! :heart:

Here is the link:

http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product367.html