PDA

View Full Version : How to put down your crochet project!

melbell
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Ok sorry for the wierd subject...I'm just wondering how you stop your crochet project temporarily without it unravelling.

For my knitting I got rubber point protectors that kept my knitting from falling off, but I have no idea what to do with my first crochet project.

I have been just wrapping the ball yarn around my hook a million times and then stuffing the whole thing into the skein of yarn but it's getting too big for that, and it can still slip the yarn off the hook when I take it off.

Any suggestions?

cmk
10-14-2007, 03:14 PM
If I'm putting my project away for awhile, I'll put a paper clip or a safety pin or a piece of yarn (tied) in the last loop. Try a make a note of what hook size you are using! There are probably better ways, but these have worked for me.

Carolyn

melbell
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok, so as long as I have something that will keep the yarn from slipping out of the last loop (the one that would normally be on my hook) I'll be fine?

samm
10-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi! I just pull that last loop into a long one, and put the project away. It holds well, but maybe wouldn't with very slippery yarns. This works for me, though! samm

bjc1050
10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi! I just pull that last loop into a long one, and put the project away. It holds well, but maybe wouldn't with very slippery yarns. This works for me, though! samm

That's the same way I put down a project. And I stick the croche hook into the yarn ball or skein that I'm using for that project...you know...where the yarn is being drawn from...or in the case of thread, I just slide the hook between the threads.

remclave
10-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I use a stitch-marker (the kind you can open and close like a safety pin) so I can punch a hole in a small card with the hook size listed and "pin" through the loop. My precious work doesn't unravel and it keeps me from forgetting the hook size I used.

melbell
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
these are all such good ideas! I will definitely put some of these to good use!

MaleKnitter
10-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I just throw it in my works-in-progress box and re-do what comes undone later... that's probably not the best method, but with crochet if you lose a few stitches it is no real disaster, if you did it while knitting (where ALL of your stitches are live instead of just one) you have a lot of repairing to do. I guess there are some advantageswith both knitting and crochet, you can fix an error a few rows down with knitting, but ripping back is easier in crochet becuase you just remove the hook and pull on the yarn.

melbell
10-15-2007, 01:32 AM
hahaha...well that's one way to do it!! lol

Actually I'm way too new at this to trust my ability to "fix" anything that unravels...although I have found that crochet is WAY easier to get a do-over on than knitting!

cranberry
10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
I use a stitch marker too. Then I weave the hook in and out a bit through the piece so it doesn't get lost.

EssenceRose
10-16-2007, 06:18 AM
I do a slip knot. I pull the working loop really big, then gather it and the working yarn and make a slip knot with it. Then when I want to continue my project, I can just pull the slip knot out and continue on my way.

cftwo
10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I pull a long loop out (the loop currently on the hook), and then use the crochet hook to pin the piece I'm working on to the skein (if it's yarn). I pull a loop out and stuff the whole thing in a ziploc bag if I can't "pin" it with the crochet hook.

remclave
10-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I stopped using my crochet hooks to "pin" my working loop as I got frustrated trying to close the holes when I was making tight fabric. That's when I came up with just using the stitch marker to hold my loop.