PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for so many questions

mommyto2presidents
10-14-2007, 05:38 PM
I need to increase stitches evenly, which I've found the calculator for. How is the best way to increase when you are ribbing k2p2?

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Are you still going to be ribbing after the increase? Usually you aren't, that is, you've come to the end of a ribbed section, are going to switch to stockinette stitch and are also going to increase. If this is the case, I do it in the purl 2 instead of the knit 2 parts of the rib, because it's hidden a little more, because the purling recesses a little more. Even if this makes your increases not precisely evenly spaced, it's okay. (I also tried to clear up your circular switch question-- check on that forum as well :).)

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
And P.S.-- don't apologize for asking so many questions! No one is born knitting, we all had to learn and I bet most of us asked MUCH dumber questions at some point! :) Or worse, we weren't as bold about asking and so REALLY messed up :)

mommyto2presidents
10-14-2007, 05:59 PM
no after the increases, you are correct, I am going to be doing short row knitting (which I'm sure I'll have questions on that too!! LOL)

My problem is this... I've watched the M1L and M1F videos and the purl increasing is just totally not sinking in for me. It's super confusing and with no audio...

Is that the best increase technique for a newbie to use?

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I think it is-- but that's just my opinion:). Here's what you're doing in those increases-- there's a little piece of yarn between every 2 stitches, a little bridge in the center. You're lifting that up to the left needle so that you can treat it as if it's another stitch. And ALSO you are going to twist it once, so that it doesn't create a hole-- it just tightens the space up to do that twist. If it helps, do that in 2 stages, that is, lift up the "bridge" onto your left needle and twist it as you do, and THEN knit (or purl) it. How did you make out with the circular switch???

mommyto2presidents
10-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I think it is-- but that's just my opinion:). Here's what you're doing in those increases-- there's a little piece of yarn between every 2 stitches, a little bridge in the center. You're lifting that up to the left needle so that you can treat it as if it's another stitch. And ALSO you are going to twist it once, so that it doesn't create a hole-- it just tightens the space up to do that twist. If it helps, do that in 2 stages, that is, lift up the "bridge" onto your left needle and twist it as you do, and THEN knit (or purl) it. How did you make out with the circular switch???

haven't made the switch yet.. that's my next step after increasing. I'm just having a heck of a time making the twist work.. looking at the video, I'm confused as to where she's putting the tip of the right needle AFTER she's gotten the "bridge" yarn... I'm understanding the concept, just not the application of the twist.. UGH!!!

brittyknits
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I just checked out the videos for both continental and English, and in one the knitting drops down to the bottom of the screen, and in the other it jumps-- so I can understand your problem! But either way, after she picks up the "bridge", she's going into the it with the right needle

mommyto2presidents
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
okay, seriously, I've watched the continental knitting increase video like 50 times and I just can't get it! I cannot see where she is putting the right needle tip in the back of the left needle to get the twist to happen? I made great progress on the ribbing but am back to practice yarn since I can't get this to work.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm so frustrated!! :hair:

brittyknits
10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong on any of this:
1. You are knitting continental (German) style.
2. You can see in the video how she gets the "bridge" up onto the left needle.
3. You can't tell what happens after that, that is, how she then actually knits the stitch she's just created with the "bridge".
If all of the above is correct, then this is the answer: she puts the tip of the right needle into the BACK of the stitch (the one created by the bridge, which is now on the left needle). It is hard to see because her hands and the knitting drop to the bottom of the frame of the video picture.
If this isn't helpful and doesn't answer your question, yell!:)

mommyto2presidents
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
You are correct in all of that information. :yay:

If I look at the work in between the stitches on the row below, there is only one area that can logically be seen as the *bridge*, correct? So I lift that bridge onto the left needle an it is lying on the needle from left to right. I see her separate (in the back) the area created with the bridge from the stitch on the left needle next to it. It appears when she places the right needle somewhere in the back of the left tip and it appears to sort of *pop* through, which leads me to believe that is somewhat of a tighter area. Every time I do that, I do not get that piece of yarn that she uses to twist with (from the front side of the left needle now) and through the front of the *bridge* stitch. Is that making any sense? I've tried blindly putting the right needle in various places behind the left needle, and I never get that piece to twist with. Is that making any sense at all?

Is this a technique she's developed or would someone at my LYS have any idea what I was talking about? I'm just beyond frustrated. I understand the idea but can't get it to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong!

ETA: and just to clarify to make sure this is also correct, is the working yarn supposed be on the left needle or the right?

brittyknits
10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry!!!-- I had a call I had to take!!! Didn't mean to leave you hanging!!! So let's go through this step by step:

"If I look at the work in between the stitches on the row below, there is only one area that can logically be seen as the *bridge*, correct?"

Yes.

"So I lift that bridge onto the left needle an it is lying on the needle from left to right."

The back of the loop is to the left and the front of the loop is to the right-- is that what you mean? Then, yes.

"I see her separate (in the back) the area created with the bridge from the stitch on the left needle next to it. It appears when she places the right needle somewhere in the back of the left tip and it appears to sort of *pop* through, which leads me to believe that is somewhat of a tighter area. Every time I do that, I do not get that piece of yarn that she uses to twist with (from the front side of the left needle now) and through the front of the *bridge* stitch. Is that making any sense? I've tried blindly putting the right needle in various places behind the left needle, and I never get that piece to twist with. Is that making any sense at all?"

Here's where I think you're-- sorry for the pun:wink:-- getting twisted up. This is what to do. . . This is the construction of the *bridge stitch" which is now on your left needle: if you think of it as an upside down U (although a slightly twisted one), there is the front stick of the U, the curved part which goes over the needle, and the back stick of the U. Put the tip of the right needle under the tip of the left and into the back stick of the upside down U. CATCH THE WORKING YARN (which is coming from the right needle) AND PULL IT THROUGH the *bridge stitch* and let the *bridge stitch* come off your left needle, just like a regular stitch you would have just knitted. That's it. Forget about "the area created with the bridge from the stitch on the left needle next to it."-- you don't need to deal with that. Okay-- how did it go?

mommyto2presidents
10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
well, now here's a dumb question and I'm sure I'm just overthinking things.. If I've been knitting in the round in a ribbing pattern of k2p2, when would I have to use the M1F technique?

brittyknits
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes-- just use the M1L/M1F (same thing) technique.

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Put the tip of the right needle under the tip of the left and into the back stick of the upside down U. CATCH THE WORKING YARN (which is coming from the right needle) AND PULL IT THROUGH the *bridge stitch* and let the *bridge stitch* come off your left needle, just like a regular stitch you would have just knitted. That's it. Forget about "the area created with the bridge from the stitch on the left needle next to it."-- you don't need to deal with that. Okay-- how did it go?

So, I'm going into the left/far side of the upside down U when it's over the left needle. Is the working yarn then in front of the needles as if I'm purling? I tried that and I get a weird looking knot under the right needle and then the yarn is on the right needle, but the yarn is going to my right, not to the left...

I just can't believe that I can't get this to work! I'll see if I can post pictures later...

ETA: if I did ribbing of k2p2 on a circular needle, do I even need to use this method of increasing or should I be using a different method? In other words, is there a purl side?? Maybe I'm fretting for nothing since you use this method only on the purl side???

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
First-- don't worry about another increase method. This one is going to work fine.
Now-- you are going to put the right hand needle into the back part of the "bridge" stitch, pushing the needle AWAY from you. The yarn should be in BACK of your work so that you can grab it with the right needle and pull it towards you and through the "bridge" stitch. Once you have done that and now have a new stitch on your right needle, let the old "bridge" stitch come off of your left needle. That's it-- you're done.

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! I think I got it!!! :woot::cheering::yay:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! YOU ROCK!!!:muah:

Now, to make myself confused again, do I just follow the knit side MIF video to do this on the knit side???

and yet another newbie question... if I'm knitting on my circ needle, will there be a knit side AND a purl side or a right side and a wrong side? How will I know which increase method to use?? I'm still having a hard time differentiating between knit and purl stitches, unless it's blatantly obvious, like when it's on the knit side and it's all *v's*. But what if you're knitting AND purling, say for ribbing? How do I know when to do my knit increase and when to do my purl increase.

BTW, thank you so much for being patient with my novice questions, which I'm sure to an established knitter can seem quite elementary.... :hug:

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
No, YOU rock-- for sticking with it and not giving up!!! Good for you!!! :yay: Now for your other questions:

I would only increase on the knit side, just to keep things easier. As a matter of fact, I can't remember increasing on the purl side, so it must just work out that way most of the time. The exception would be that if you're knitting straight (meaning, not circular)) and you're told to increase at the ends of each side of a sleeve every 7th row (or another odd number-- I just pulled that one out of a hat), and then I would increase in the 6th row, and then the 8th, and then the 6th and then the 8th, etc., so that you're always doing it on the knit side.

But if you want to/need to sometimes increase purlwise, and you're doing ribbing, this is what I would do: if ribbing K2 P2, then increase one knitwise between 2 knit stitches, and increase one purlwise between 2 purl stitches. But if ribbing in K1 P1, then it doesn't matter. Just do the increase stitch you like best. By the way, when you are told to increase evenly, it's okay if it's a little unevenly. If you have to increase a number of stitches in K2 P2 ribbing and you want to do all the increases in the knitting parts and that makes when you increase not come out exactly evenly, it's okay, as long as it's at reasonably even intervals. What you don't want to do, is, say, increase 10 stitches in a sweater with 100 stitches and do it all in one place. THAT will look funny. But knitting is by definition somewhat elastic, and so it will work if not perfectly spaced.

You are probably going to be an amazing knitting teacher one day! The people who had to struggle the most are the ones who understand what can go wrong the best and how to fix it. I think you're just amazing to work through all this frustration!:cheering:

As for the right and wrong side question when knitting circular-- yes, there is a right side and a wrong side. But the right side is always "outside", facing you, because you are always going in the same direction, like a dog chasing it's tail. So you're never coming to the end of the needle and turning the fabric over and then going in the other direction, the way you do when you are knitting "straight". If you are using the stockinette stitch, then the knit side (Vs) will always be on the outside, facing you, and the purl side (Us) will always be on the inside. So if you increase when knitting circular, you will always do it on the knit side.

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
so what you taught me was the knit side increase right? So tell me again (and you may have before but with all this information I'm in a bit of a fog). If it says to increase evenly from 84 to 96 stitches (I used a calculator I found a link for here to figure it out), it says to do the following:

K3, M1
*(K8, M1)* 1 time
*(K7, M1)* 9 times
*(K8, M1)* 1 time
K2

so, with a k2p2 ribbing, I'm guessing some of those will fall on a knit stitch and some will fall on a purl stitch.. I'm confused what to do when it falls on the purl stitch? I'm afraid to fudge with the formula above for fear of goofing up from that point forward. (I'm such a ninny!! LOL)

I think I was having a hard time understanding because I was trying to follow the purl side M1F video... maybe that was part of my confusion.. I STILL don't know how to do that one, but if you say it's rare, I'll work around it and maybe by the time I need it I'll be a little more experienced...

Is there ever an occasion where one would do all purl stitches? That's what I was doing when trying to figure out the purl M1F. I was using practice yarn and an extra circ needle (but using them as straights for that). I just don't think I'll EVER get that technique. She says it's harder to work. I say I CAN'T work it!! LOL

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes-- what we were working on was the knit-side increase. Also remember that if you using circulars and are increasing in the midst of ribbing, but are going to be changing to stockinette stitch in the next row, that even in the purl parts of the rib that you want to use the knit-side increase, because you are going to be knitting from here on out and it will blend in just fine. The goal in increasing stitches is to do it as unobstrusively as possible, unless it's part of the pattern to make them stand out.

If I were using your pattern and it told me to increase from 84 to 96 stitches, here is what I would do: I would subtract 84 from 96 to find out how many stitches I had to add, and the answer would be 12. Then I would divide 84 by 12 and come up with 7, and so I would make an increase after every 7 stitches. Because 7 is an odd number and most ribbing patterns occur in an even number of stitches, some increases would fall in the knitting part of the ribbing, and some would fall in the purl part of the ribbing. But as I said above, if you're about to switch to stockinette stitch, that's just fine! And if not, then I would put an increase in after 6 stitches, and then 8 and then 6, and then 8, etc., so that it would come out at the end. What I do, is about 10 - 20 stitches from the end of the round, I count to see if I'm okay on my increases and then if I've done too many, I just don't do any more, or if I've forgotten 1 or 2 somewhere, I just work them in evenly in the stitches I've got remaining.

Now, would you ever do all purling? Not commonly. If you are knitting in the round and doing stockinette stitch, you knit every row. If you are knitting flat, with straight needles, and are doing stockinette stitch, you knit one row, purl one row. If you are working flat OR in the round and doing garter stitch, you knit every row. Sometimes, there will be a pattern where you want the purling outside. I personally think that that is, well, fairly ugly:). So I don't ever do patterns like that. But if you were doing that and working in the round, then yes, you would purl every row. Other than that, you will have little need to increase on the purl side, and even if you do, you can either work around it, or (and I love this idea!--) wait until you are more experienced and comfortable.

So 2 questions: What is it that you are working on right now, and what have you made in the past? Oh, and a 3rd-- how long have you been knitting? Oops, and 4th:-)-- did you ever figure out how to get from one size circular to another?

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
So 2 questions: What is it that you are working on right now, and what have you made in the past? Oh, and a 3rd-- how long have you been knitting? Oops, and 4th:-)-- did you ever figure out how to get from one size circular to another?

Wow, you are a wealth of information.. I LOVE you!! :heart:

As for your questions, let's see...

1) I am making a pair of knit pants for my son (whom I cloth diaper), so I'm using them as a diaper cover

2) what have I made in the past? A REALLY big mess and nothing at all!! LOL I'd keep trying to just practice and give up, rip it out and start over. My kids like to use the few practice squares/rectangles I did finish as coasters in their picnic set! :rofl:

3) I've been knitting, technically for a year (YIKES), but I gave up in frustration for about 10 months, so in actuality, a whopping 2-3 months! :happydance:

4) Nope, haven't done the transfer yet, since I have to increase the ribbing (waist of the pants) before I can do that... Then I'll have a TON more questions since I have to do short rows (ya know anything about those?), gussets and leg splits (heaven help me!)

I'm scared to death since I've never attempted any of this stuff coming down the pike... any suggestions?? my next moves are 1) doing the even increases, 2) switching needles and then 3) short rows...

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh, and I forgot to add, after MUCH perseverance (and cursing) I think I've got the purl-side M1F increase down!! :yay:

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, not necessarily a wealth of information; more like a wealth of experience and big mistakes:).

And you've gotten the purl side down!!! :woohoo: :woot: Look at that-- you were struggling so much with one and then got 2 in one night! That's how it goes-- you think you'll never get one foot in front of the other and then without realizing it, you've climbed half the mountain.

I was afraid you were going to answer my questions the way you did:)-- The reason I asked how long you've been knitting and what you've made was because I was getting the impression that you were being incredibly brave and trying something most people do after about 15 years of intensive knitting. And I was right:teehee:. So hang in there-- you're just tackling a bunch of very intense stuff all at once, but when you're done, you're going to have learned an incredible amount. I mean, coasters to pants-- wow and gulp:).

You're actually going about this exactly the right way-- just get through these increases, then the needle switch, and then we'll get to the short rows and gussets and leg splits. I've never done pants before, but as long as the pattern works, you'll be okay. Remember-- if you can knit, purl, increase and decrease-- oh yeah, and count:), that's all knitting is. If you can give me a link to the pattern, it might be helpful. Then I know what you're looking at and can walk you through it.

HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug:

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
And PS, you can't say you've really been knitting until you've used every 4-letter word known to mankind. 5 times:)

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, not necessarily a wealth of information; more like a wealth of experience and big mistakes:).

And you've gotten the purl side down!!! :woohoo: :woot: Look at that-- you were struggling so much with one and then got 2 in one night! That's how it goes-- you think you'll never get one foot in front of the other and then without realizing it, you've climbed half the mountain.

I was afraid you were going to answer my questions the way you did:)-- The reason I asked how long you've been knitting and what you've made was because I was getting the impression that you were being incredibly brave and trying something most people do after about 15 years of intensive knitting. And I was right:teehee:. So hang in there-- you're just tackling a bunch of very intense stuff all at once, but when you're done, you're going to have learned an incredible amount. I mean, coasters to pants-- wow and gulp:).

You're actually going about this exactly the right way-- just get through these increases, then the needle switch, and then we'll get to the short rows and gussets and leg splits. I've never done pants before, but as long as the pattern works, you'll be okay. Remember-- if you can knit, purl, increase and decrease-- oh yeah, and count:), that's all knitting is. If you can give me a link to the pattern, it might be helpful. Then I know what you're looking at and can walk you through it.

HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug:

I had to buy the pattern and download it. I have a pdf file, but don't know how I would get that to you...

Well, off to try my increases.. Cross your fingers!! :rofl:

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 10:44 PM
That's okay-- maybe you can just copy and paste the bits as you go, if you get stuck at a certain point. (If you remember the site where you go the pattern, I could go look at the picture.)
Keep me posted as to how your increases are going! I'm rootin' for ya:cheering:!!!

mommyto2presidents
10-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Here's the short row details... Guess my first question is how you turn on a circ needle!! :roflhard:

Knit plain until pants are about 2(2, 2.5, 3, 3, 3.5, as desired) inches long. (Measure from the
purl round if you made a waistband with internal elastic or drawstring.)

Work first set of short rows
K 10 (12, 14, 16, 18, 22, H6) stitches, turn.
Wrong side facing: yo, purl back to marker and continue, p 10 (12, 14, 16, 18, 22, H6)
stitches, turn.
Right side facing: yo, k 20 (24, 28, 32, 36, 44, H12),
Close the gap: k2tog (knit the yarn over together with the first stitch after the short row),
K around to 1 stitch before second yo (gap).
Close the gap: SSK (so that the yarn over will go behind the last knit stitch and disappear).
Continue knitting around until back measures about 2.5(3, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 5, as desired) inches.

Work second set of short rows
K 13 (15, 17, 19, 21, 25, H-3) stitches, turn.
WS: yo, purl back to marker and continue on, 13 (15, 17, 19, 21, 25, H-3) stitches, turn.
RS: yo, k to first yo before the gap, k2tog.
K to 1 stitch before second yo, (gap). SSK.
Continue knitting until back measures about 3.5(4, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, as desired) inches.

Work third set of short rows
Same as second set
Continue knitting until back measures about 4.5(5, 6, 6.5, 7.5, 8, as desired) inches.

Work fourth set of short rows
Same as first set

http://sameknit.blogspot.com/2006/01/sheepy-pants-pattern.html

brittyknits
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Okay, this is great! Saw the photo-- now I can picture what you're doing. So you're knitting down from the top, and you've gotten the waistband done. Now you're at the top of the hips-- increasing and then you're going to do stockinette stitch for however many inches. (What size are you making? That way I can refer to exact numbers which will be less confusing.) Short rows create a "cupping" effect. It's what you do for the heel of a sock. So the pattern creates a little pouching effect in the back for the baby's bottom. And yes, you WILL be turning on circular needles. Just treat them as straight needles-- this will work. For the first short row, at the very beginning of the row, you're going to knit (let's just pretend you're doing the smallest size for now) 10 stitches. Now, pretending you're knitting flat, turn your work over, so that you're looking at the inside (purl side) of the pants, and what was your left needle becomes your right, and what was your right needle becomes your left.
So now you're beginning a new row, even though you only knit a little bit of the previous row. Make a yarn over (do you know how to do that?) and purl 10 stitches, back to your marker (I'm presuming this marker is so you know where your rows begin and end?). Then, keep going, purling 10 more stitches. So you've made a yarn over and purled 20 stitches.
Now turn over your work again, so that you're back to facing the knitting side of the work (the Vs) and once again, you've switched your needles so that the right one becomes your left one, and the left one becomes your right one. Make a yarn over and knit 20 stitches (again, you'll go past your marker). You should now be at the first yarn over you made. Keep going in the same direction, and knit that yarn over together with the next stitch. Keep going in the same direction and come to the 2nd yarn over you made. With this 2nd yarn over and the next stitch, do an SSK, which is a way of decreasing 1 stitch. Keep going in the same direction and keep knittting rounds until you've got another 2.5 inches or however long, and then we'll get to the second set of short rows!

mommyto2presidents
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I've read (and will have to re-read) the above information. I's a lot to try to figure out! lol I think it will make more sense when I've got the yarn in front of me. Do I have to *flip* the work inside out or anything or is *turning* making it so that the working yarn is in my left hand as opposed to my right? Or are neither of those correct? :rofl:

I haven't even had a second to get even the increases done (we had a preschool pumpkin patch field trip - FUN). I hope to get to it soon this afternoon and I'll keep you updated...

As for size, I'm making an XL!

brittyknits
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Yes-- it will make more sense when you've got the yarn in front of you.
Here's the inside/outside stuff: This sounds a little weird, but it will help. Hold the pants up a few inches from you, at about chest level and hold it as if you are knitting it, one needle in each hand right in front, with the tube of fabric hanging down off of the needle. Rotate the tube/pants, until the needles are exactly on the other side, in other words, an exact 1/2 turn. Now your right hand needle will be in your left hand and the left hand needle in your right. Put it back down in your lap and start the next row. You will now be going in the opposite direction, just like you do in flat knitting. DON'T FLIP ANYTHING INSIDE OUT! When you get to the end of a short row and "turn", it's as if you got to the end of a row in flat knitting and just turned and went back the other direction as usual. The confusing part, is that in circular knitting you never actually come to the end of the needle and still see stitches ahead of you and so it feels weird.
Which one of the 6 sizes is the XL? There is a funny 7th one (1/2 H -number) which I don't understand.
I hope you weren't looking at those pumpkins thinking, "now if I made a cover for them, I wonder how many short rows it would take to make enough of a curve":rofl: .

mommyto2presidents
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I am using the 6th number (just before the weird ones, which are for custom sizing).

So, I'm getting ready to take the increase plunge.. I'll be back shortly to update...

brittyknits
10-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Okay-- in the meantime, here are the instructions for the short rows I gave you, but with the correct numbers and slightly easier to read:

After then increases you're probably doing at this very moment, keep knitting in the round (knit every stitch in every row) until the pants are 2.5 inches below the ribbing.

1. For the first short row: start at the marker at the very beginning of the row and knit 22 stitches. Now, pretending you're knitting flat, turn your work over, that exact 1/2-turn I described before, so that what was your left needle becomes your right, and what was your right needle becomes your left.
2. Now you're beginning a new row-- yes!-- in the middle of an unfinished row! Make a Yarn Over and then purl 22 stitches (these are the 22 knit stitches you just did on the previous row), back to your marker. Then, keep going past the marker, purling 22 more stitches. (In this row, you've made a yarn over and purled 44 stitches.)
3. Now turn over your work again, so that you're back to facing the knitting side of the work (the Vs) and once again, you've switched your needles so that the right one becomes your left one, and the left one becomes your right one. Make a Yarn Over and knit 44 stitches (again, you'll go past your marker). You should now be at the first yarn over you made. Keep going in the same direction, and knit that Yarn Over together with the next stitch. Keep going in the same direction and come to the 2nd Yarn Over you made. With this 2nd yarn over and the next stitch, do an SSK, which is another way of knitting the Yarn Over and the next stitch together.
Keep going in the same direction and keep knittting rounds until you've got 5 inches below the ribbing, or however long, and then we'll get to the second set of short rows!

mommyto2presidents
10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing there's a video on yarning over that I can look at?

and looking at this, I don't do any short rows until I've reached the 2.5 inch mark, right?

brittyknits
10-17-2007, 10:00 PM
This is all you need-- my typos! You're absolutely correct, you aren't going to do any short rows until you've knitted for a while below the ribbing. But you need to go 3.5 inches, not 2.5, because you're doing the XL size! Sorry about that!:aww:
As for Yarn Over-- yes, there is a video. Go to Basic Technics, then to Increases, and it's at the bottom of that page.

mommyto2presidents
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
got it! :thumbsup:

YAY!! Woo-hoo!! My increases are done and I now have 96 stitches!! :cheering:

Off to knit for a while...

I'll let you know before I start the short rows! Hopefully it won't be too long...

Thanks mama! You've been a life saver!

brittyknits
10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
No problem whatsoever! It's been fun figuring this all out! AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!:woohoo::yay: You got your increases all done! Post again when you hit the short rows. . .

mommyto2presidents
10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Here's a dumb question for you... Do I need to use a marker if I'm just knitting all the way until I get to 3.5 inches? The simplest questions I know, I know... :rofl:

ETA: you're never gonna guess what I did... I was SO proud of myself for getting this far, that I forgot to switch needle sizes!! Dang it!! What do I do? I've done 2 rows of straight knitting.. should I just rip out the two rows and start again? (BTW, is there an easier way of doing that than one stitch at a time??) I'm SOOO mad at myself right now.. I just don't think I can keep going knowing it's not perfect.. silly huh?

brittyknits
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Noooooooooo!!!!! Don't remove the marker!!!!!!!! That's how you'll know where you are, if you've finished rows. It's possible to figure out where they begin if you've taken it out, but a colossal pain.
As for not switching needle sizes-- is this where you were supposed to switch from 5s to 7s? Well, I personally wouldn't go back--it's only 2 rows, which means, what?-- a quarter of an inch or so? Not going to make that much difference. But if you're thinking perfection, you could tink back and do those 2 again. Or how about compromising and tinking just 1 row? It is a huge drag doing it stitch by stitch, but it's also the safest way. If you're truly frogging, rows and rows to take out, then you can just take it off the needles and start pulling, but then when you go to put them back on, you do have to be careful not to lose any stitches. I would say that the more experienced you are, then the more daring you can be because you start to recognize things like missing stitches and how to repair it.

mommyto2presidents
10-19-2007, 09:45 PM
:cry: You're not going to believe what just happened... I am 3/4 of the way through the 3.5 inch knitting and I found my marker lying on the arm of the couch.. I forgot to put it back on... what now??? :waah:

ETA.. it's been out for maybe two rounds or so (I'm guessing....)

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Option 1. Click your heels 3 times and say, "there's no place like home".
Option 2. In the absence of ruby red slippers, here's how to try to find your way back-- You can probably figure out approximately where you started by locating your cast-on tail. Then, do you remember when you first made an increase in that round? Like, did you knit 8 and then make 1 increase? You may be able to find that. Also, there is often a slight "shift" in-between the last stitch of a round and the 1st stitch of the next. If all else fails, if at least you can get pretty close to the starting point by finding that cast-on tail, you'll be okay. You haven't begun doing anything that is absolutely dependent on knowing precisely where the rounds begin.

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 10:11 PM
And by the way-- I most certainly do believe it happened! It's just too easy to do-- I've discovered my marker was missing and of course found on the floor at my feet-- and couldn't begin to tell you how it got there. And congratulations for getting so far into the 3.5" part!:happydance:

mommyto2presidents
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
so am I looking at the very beginning of the work or at the work that's on the needle but at the same point as where the tail is further back in the work?

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Pretty much the same thing-- if you find the very beginning of the pants, where you first cast on, go to the tail that was left from that. Now, follow that up (I'm thinking you're holding the needles in your hand, so that the fabric is hanging down from them) to the needle (or the cord, since you are using a circular. That will be be roughly the beginning of the round.
I don't want to distract you from this, but did you make the switch to the larger circular okay?!

mommyto2presidents
10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
oh, oh, oh... how about when I made the goof up and forgot to change by needle size... I remember I finished the row and then transfered to the bigger needle. Can I use that point of reference at all? How would it look different. I would have thought it would have been obvious, but I just looked.. not so much! LOL

Or, how about from where the ribbing stopped and the knitting only began??

And I cast on 84 stitches to begin with, so is there a space distance (roughly) from the tail yarn that I should be looking?

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh-- and here's something to help in case you lose the marker again. Once you figure out where your rounds begin (or at least pretty close), take a small safety pin and pin it into the fabric, vertically, between the last stitch of one round and the first of the next.

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 10:50 PM
The point you're looking for is between stitches, not rows. If you think of the tube you've knitted so far as something like an empty, round coffee can. . . the rim at the top of the can would be where your needles and cord are, the row you're currently working on. Coming down the side of the can-- that's the fabric you've already created. Now imagine the cast on tail hanging from the bottom of the can. Find the tail and then draw an imaginary line up the side of the can to the needles. This imaginary line is what you're working with at the moment. Now, look at the rows crossing this line, and where that crossing happens, do you see any kind of slight shift in between 2 stitches, in each row? Where one is a little higher than the others, and all the other stitches in the rows looked lined up with each other? That will be where the rounds are beginning and ending in each row.
Also thinking of this imaginary line. . .can you find the row where you did the increases? Can you find approximately the first stitch you increased (it will be to the left of the line, as long as the pants are hanging DOWN from the needles) and count back going to the right, to the imaginary line? If you can remember how many stitches you knitted in the increase row before that first increase stitch, that should help.

mommyto2presidents
10-19-2007, 11:21 PM
when you say up the sides of the can, are you being literal or figurative? Meaning am I drawing the straight line exactly up from the tail yarn or assuming the tail yarn is the dead center of the coffee can, am I drawing a line up the sides of the can, so 1/4 a way around from the tail yarn?

Otherwise, couldn't you just draw a line straight up from the tail yarn and call it a day? Seems to me that I remember the tail yarn being at least a few inches off of where I started a new row...

Oh, and about the first increase row, that row started with K3, M1...

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Can you tell me the first couple of sentences in the very beginning of the instructions? I'm confused as to why the tail would be a few inches off of the beginning of each round. . .because that would have been the very beginning of the very first round. But yes, you can just come up the side of the "can", from where the tail is actually attached to the pants, and say that's the beginning of your rounds, and just call it a day, especially at this point in the garment. But I would definitely insert that safety pin because once you start doing your short rows, it will matter much more. As a matter of fact, what I do, is put in a new pin every few rows so that it's easier to keep track of, if I need it.

jenwith4kids
10-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Britty - I need to increase soon on my gloves and the way you just described it makes perfect sense! (sorry for hijacking a post!)

brittyknits
10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Ummmm, you're welcome Jen-- but wasn't quite sure what was helpful?:):???: Oh-- do you mean the description of how that increase works?

mommyto2presidents
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
woo-hoo!! I finished the 3.5 inches!!

So, I realized that I gave you the wrong numbers for the short rows. Looks like I gave you the XXL numbers, not the XL numbers. I'll just change the numbers in my head when I m working the first short row.

Now, to start, I still leave the stitch marker to mark the beginning of the row, right?

And I'm still trying to figure out this turning the work thing too. Just doesn't seem right! LOL

Yikes, I'm SO nervous to move on to this stage... eeks!! LOL

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
This is great! You've come so far! Yes-- leave the stitch marker at the beginning of the rows. And as I suggested before, I would vertically pin a small safety pin (just about a 1/2" or so below the needles so that it's as close to your current work as possible, but not getting in the way) into the fabric between the last stitch in a row and the first stitch in the next, since you are now beginning the short rows and losing your place will be a fairly big headache. Don't know if you read my post from last night ("To all you newbies out there"), but it may make you feel an awful lot better about your own trials and tribulations:). So I take it switching to larger needles went okay?

mommyto2presidents
10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Yep, switching needles went just fine. Now I'm trying to figure out the turning my work thing. Again, seems so simple, but just doesn't make sense! LOL

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I went back and copied what I'd written a couple of days ago. Try doing this:
"Hold the pants up a few inches from you, at about chest level and hold it as if you are knitting it, one needle in each hand right in front, with the tube of fabric hanging down off of the needle. Rotate the tube/pants, until the needles are exactly on the other side, in other words, an exact 1/2 turn. Now your right hand needle will be in your left hand and the left hand needle in your right. Put it back down in your lap and start the next row. "
Did it work?
After you do this, you will be working on the purl side for the 2nd short row. When you turn again after that short row, you will be working on the knit side again.

mommyto2presidents
10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Am I physically turning the work around on the needle or turning the ENTIRE piece of work? In other words, the needles are at 6 o'clock. Do I turn them to where they are at 12 o'clock?

Also, what side will the yarn then be on? If I turn the needles to 12 o'clock, the working yarn is now on the left needle. Is that right?

I've done the 12 o'clock positioning and I see the *inside* of the coffee can, but can see that if I were to then yo and purl back to the marker, it looks like it would work..

Now, when I yo, I have to make sure that the yarn is facing the same direction right? How would I do it on the purl side? And I wouldn't do anything with that yo stitch until I work back to my marker (twice) and I will then come back to it, right?

Did that make any sense??

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes!-- it's making perfect sense! Because you're really getting it! :cheering:
No, you are not turning the work around on the needle. Yes, you are turning the entire piece of work. Yes, the working yarn will now be on the left needle, and as usual, once you start knitting, it will switch to being on the right needle. Yes, about the now being able to see the inside of the "coffee can" and it looks like it'll now work (because it will:)). Yes, you don't do anything with the yarn over until the row where it says to knit it together with the next stitch. The one thing I'm not clear about is your question about being sure that the yarn is facing the same direction when you do the yarn over. . .you're just looping it over the needle. So if you are knitting, just bring the working yarn towards you, over the needle, and then put it behing the needle again so that you can keep knitting. If you are purling, bring the working yarn away from you, over the needle and then bring it in front again so that you can keep purling.

mommyto2presidents
10-21-2007, 09:46 PM
:woohoo::cheering::woot::yay:

I did it! I did it!! I finished my first short row!!!

Unless I run into anything goofy, I'll see ya around gusset time... Now THAT I'm TOTALLY freaking out about! I did get a size 7 12 inch circ needle for that since I've never used DPN's!!

brittyknits
10-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might want to get a set of size 7 DPNs-- it can be a lot easier that a short circ, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it:).

mommyto2presidents
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay, I'm working the 3rd set of short rows!!! :cheering:

Now, the gussets are coming up... I don't know if you can see that information on the link I gave earlier, but here are the directions:

Work even until back of work measures 5.5(6, 7, 8, 9, 10, R-1) (Make sure you are
measuring the back, as it is now longer than the front)
K 32 (36, 40, 44, 48, 56, H) place marker (center front), knit to end of round, slip marker
KLL, KRL, work to second marker, KLL, KRL, k to end.
The marker will remain at the beginning throughout the gusset section, before the increases.
Choose regular or purl gusset:
Note: for the gusset instructions, if the pants are intended to fit over a disposable diaper, or you
prefer a narrow crotch, follow the directions for rows 1-4 below and then skip to the gusset
extension and work the numbers in parentheses. This will make the rise a bit shorter and the
crotch a bit narrower for a better fit over a disposable diaper.

I'm going to be doing the regular gusset.

Then it goes on to say:

Row 1: knit
Row 2: *M1R, k2, M1L, k to next marker * repeat
Row 3: knit
Row 4: *M1R, k4, M1L, k to next marker * repeat
Row 5: knit
Row 6: *M1R, k6, M1L, k to next marker * repeat
Row 7: knit
Row 8: *M1R, k8, M1L, k to next marker * repeat
Row 9: knit
Work gusset extension:
K10 (6), turn
P10 (6), turn
K10 (6)

Wanna lend me some assistance?? :rofl:

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Absolutely!:) And I'm so thrilled you've gotten all the way to the gussets! You're making incredible progress! So where are you getting stuck?

mommyto2presidents
10-24-2007, 08:47 PM
well, I've got to go back and check the directions on how to do the KLL, KRL, M1R & M1L.

My first, simple question is where it's got the *'s and then says "repeat", am I correct in understanding that I repeat what's between the *'s? Just the one time since it doesn't say otherwise?

Am I using more than one marker or am I just moving the marker? When it says: K 32 (36, 40, 44, 48, 56, H) place marker (center front), knit to end of round, slip marker
KLL, KRL, work to second marker, KLL, KRL, k to end, when it gets to the KLL, KRL, do I do that repeatedly to the second marker or do I do them each once and then knit to the second marker? Guess I don't understand the term *work*.

Let's start there and see where we get!

Thanks again!!

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
1. Are you okay with looking at the videos and back at my explanations for the increases?
2. Yes, you repeats between the asterisks, and just once. The pattern should say "repeat once"-- that's their fault!
3. You are now using 2 markers. The original one which you have been using to mark the ends of the rounds (well, except when it fell into the cushions of your sofa:)), and now a second one which is marking the center front of the pants. The placing marker round should go like this-- You start the round by moving the marker, as you've been doing with every round. Then knit 48 sts, place a 2nd marker on the needle, and then keep knitting until the end of the round, where you will come to your first marker again.
4. That "work to the 2nd marker" is confusing, but they have to mean to "knit to the 2nd marker", because otherwise they would say "repeat", or put in more asterisks.

There are a lot of knitting teachers who always say, "trust the pattern", and I think that's the biggest piece of baloney. So many patterns are flat out wrong, or at the very least say thing like "work to the 2nd marker", and then "knit to the end" in the same sentence, being very inconsistent. What happens is that you get so experienced that you can sort through it pretty easily and figure out their nonsense:wink:.

mommyto2presidents
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
1. Yes, I will work back through the videos and your explanations and will let you know if I have any questions. I'll use my practice work to get used to them first.

2. Okay, once it is!

3. Got it! 2 markers...

4. And I'll just assume that *work* = *knit*

Anything in the instructions for the gussets that looks like it may be confusing to a newbie? The further I get into this, the less I obviously want to do something to mess it up!

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Nope-- now that you're the champ of short rows, everything looks good!:) My one question is-- how are you keeping track of the rows you're knitting? You know, when you have things like this upcoming gusset section and you increase in row 1, then row 2 is plain, increase in row 3, row 4 is plain-- are you marking them down on paper, or using a row counter? I just know for myself that trying to remember exactly where I am doesn't work so well:teehee:.

mommyto2presidents
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I've not found the love for a counter, so I still use the old fashioned pencil and paper! :rofl:

I generally take the time to read the directions first, then I write down what needs to be done and hash through them when the row is completed. It works for me, otherwise, I too would be lost...

brittyknits
10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
If it works, it works:). And you know, half of the products out there are re-inventing the wheel, knitting counters, included:).

mommyto2presidents
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
yeah, but me and my gung-ho self HAD to buy one when I first started out thinking I HAD to have it. Have I touched it?? NOT ONCE!!! :rofl:

brittyknits
10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Just so no worries-- I'm leaving in a couple of hours for the weekend and won't have a lot of access to the Internet, so if you have any questions or get stuck after the gussets, I'm not ignoring you and I'll be back Sunday night!:hug:

mommyto2presidents
10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
oh NO!! Just when I needed you with the DPN's!!! I'm almost through the guessets!! :cheering:

J/K! Have a great time and I'll do my best to move forward... (shaking with fear!!)

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, so where are you, now?-- past the gussets? Doing okay?:)

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I've completed the gussets! :cheering:

Over the weekend I got some DPN's and have been practing on them. Boy was there a learning curve there.. still don't know if I have it 100%, but I've come a long way baby!! LOL

I don't know how to go from the one circ needle to the set of DPN's. Here's the instructions per the pattern:

You will now switch to mini circular or double pointed needles and begin working on just 1 leg.
Pick up and knit 3 stitches along the left edge of the gusset extension that you just worked, 1 for each row. Knit around the leg to the front center marker. Remove marker, and bring the front
around next to the back, completing the leg circle. Pick up and knit 1 more stitch from this side of the gusset, and knit 1 of the stitches you already picked up at the back of the gusset. Place
marker at inseam, and continue knitting around 1 leg.
(Note: if you are working with double pointed needles, its better to put the join of the leg toward the middle of a needle to avoid getting a hole. It also helps if you knit the 2 stitches at the sides
of the join especially tight for a few rows.)
Knit 2 rounds.

How do I make the transition? I hope I don't mess up since I won't know how to fix it (biting nails)...

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Think of it this way: I'm going to assume your set of dpns is 4. So that you would have the stitches on 3 needles and 1 to work with. Just imagine those 3 needles as 1 long circular, broken in to 3 pieces. If you set 3 of the dpns on a table, in a triangle, that's what it will look like. So you need to divide your stitches into 3-- often the number isn't exactly divisible by 3, so if you have, let's pretend, 31 stitches, you would put 10 stitches on 1 needles, 10 on teh 2nd needle, and 11 on the 3rd one. So just for an example, working with the imaginary 31 stitches, to start, at the beginning of the next round, take 1 dpn and knit the first 10 stitches. Now take another dpn and pick right up where you left off and knit the next 10. Now take the 3rd dpn and again, picking right up where you left off, knit the last 11 stitches. Now all of your stitches are divided onto the 3 dpns, you've made the transfer, and you're set to go.
Now, in your case, you are going to be including the 3 sts you pick up from along the left edge of the gusset extension PLUS your leg sts PLUS the 1 more stitch you pick up. That's the number you are going to divide by 3.
To actually begin, take one DPN, pick up those 3 left edge sts, then however number of the leg stitches. Now take another dpn and keep knitting from where you just left off for whatever number on the leg. Now take a 3rd dpn and knit the last third of the leg stitches and pick up the 1 more, the way they tell you to.

Here's the thing about working with a marker on dpns-- It's not like working with circs, where the only time it's loose is when you are at the end of one row and about to begin the next-- other than that, it is always between stitches. Where as on dpns, if you have a row start and stop between 2 of the needles, it will be at the end of a needle and fall off all the time. So you can either keep it between stitches on one of the needles, or use a safety pin in the fabric to mark where you are.

Are you okay using dpns? Do you get that the "empty" needle will always be changing because you are always using the empty to knit the next needle, so then it will have stitches on it, and now the one that just did have the stitches becomes the empty one?

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Okay, I've got a few questions...

1) I realized I left the gusset extensions for when you got back. The directions are:

work gusset extension:
k10 (6), turn
p10 (6), turn
k10 (6)

what does the (6) mean?

2) I'm assuming that the gusset extension isn't changing the number of stitches on the circ needle since I'm not increasing. So, I have 116 stitches on the cable. So, I will put 39 on needles 1 and 3 and 38 on the needle 3?

3) Do I make the transfer THEN pick up the 3 stitches from the gusset extension? Or do I do that first and add those to the 116 stitches? That would then make it (if I'm correct) 116 + 4 (3 picked up from gusset + 1 more from the left side of the gusset. That would be 120 and would mean 40 stitches on each of the 3 DPN's, right?

I'm still confused by:

a) Knit around the leg to the front center marker(was this my original row start/stop marker?). Remove marker, and bring the front around next to the back, completing the leg circle. Pick up and knit 1 more stitch from this side of the gusset, and knit 1 of the stitches you already picked up at the back of the gusset. Place marker at inseam, and continue knitting around 1 leg.

b) Note: if you are working with double pointed needles, its better to put the join of the leg toward the middle of a needle to avoid getting a hole. (Do I need to do anything special for this to happen)?

I *think* I'm okay with the DPN's, so long as my transfer goes okay and if I take my time and concentrate.

Enough questions for ya?? :roflhard:

btw, how was your trip?

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Okay, let's start from the beginning-- I'm not sure what that "(6)" means-- hmmmm. Usually when something is in parenthesis, it means for different sizes, or a modified design. Is there anything like that about the pattern? I don't think it's different sizes because it's only 1 number, and there were several sizes to this pattern. Or it can be a repeat, but it wouldn't make sense to do it 6 times. But let's jump to the next thing for just a minute. . .

I think you are actually going to have 62 stitches on the needles-- after the gusset stuff is done (we'll get back to that), you are going to divide for the legs. So you will pick up 3 stitches from the edge of the future gusset, then go to the center front marker (yes, that probably is your original marker, but I'm not sure)-- that should be 1/2 way round, and that would be half of your 116 sts, so 58 of those, and then 1 more that you pick up, which = 62. So 20/20/22, or 20/21/21, whichever you prefer-- they should just be fairly evenly divided to make it easier to work with, but it doesn't matter exactly in this situation. What you're doing is kind of pinching the center front and center backs together, so that you get 2 legs-- you're picking up those 3 edge sts, knitting 1/2 way round the circle to the center of the front, and then bringing that back to meet the center of the back of the circle-- make sense?

So I would not make the transfer to the dpns until you are through with the gussets and ready for the pick-up/pinching thing to happen.

It does sound as if you are NOT increasing in the gussets, and there for should still have the 116 sts before you do the pick-up-pinch thing.

The thing about the join. . .mmmm, I would leave the stitches divided in a way that makes the most sense to you. What can happen with dpns is that when you go from needle to needle, sometimes people don't pull the yarn snug, and so a hole/space thing develops. But we're more interested in simplicity for now, so whatever you decided will be fine.

And thanks for asking-- the trip was okay-- got cut short because my friends' daughter got sick, but that was okay-- they can be tiring, no discipline with the kids who then get out of hand, you know the drill. And they don't knit so they'll never see this!:)

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh wait a minute!-- weren't there 2 kinds of gussets?!?! Maybe the parentheses are for the other type of gusset!!!

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Okay, figured out the (6) (had to go back and read it through - it was for the narrower gusset, which I am not doing).

I finished down to the gusset extension! :cheering:

Let me go back and look at your last message... I've got to read it again about the fewer stitches...

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Congrats on finishing the gussets!:yay: You really don't have much more to go (unless your son's legs are each about 2 feet long:) ). And the 2nd leg will be almost identical to the first, so once you've got one done, you'll be an expert! :cheering: . Yeah-- that business about the 6 was the only thing I could think of; but as usual, the pattern could be a tad clearer on these things. Oh well, we figured it out. :happydance:

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
okay, so now I get the lower stitch number. I was counting all the way around, not 1/2 way for just one leg at a time.

In the interim, I finished the extension, which created another question... I did k10, p10, k10 and am now 10 stitches to the LEFT of my back center marker (the 2nd one is the front center marker since I am knitting looking at the back of the pants --- make sense there?)

SO, I now have kind of a ledge on that left side of the gusset extension, where I now have 2 spaces on either side of the extension, where I will later have to do the grafting... that is making sense to me.

However, I have 48 stitches from the left sdie of the gusset extension to the front middle marker and 58 stitches from the front middle marker around to the right side of the gusset extension. Then I have the 10 stitches that make up the gusset extension on the left of the back middle marker to the end of the right needle. Is that making sense?

Did I do something wrong that they are uneven? If I add the 48+58+10, I still come up with the same 116 stitches though! (confused)

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
No, no, no-- you're cool, I think. Do you only make 1 gusset extension? Because if you do, then this makes sense-- they are having you knit up to the front center marker because with the 10 sts that you've done from the gusset (the 10 that brought you past the back marker), plus the 48 which will bring you up to the front marker, is 58, which is half of the 116. (This is not including the 3 and 1 you are going to pick up.) Then, when you do the 2nd leg, you'll still have 58. But is this the case, do you only do 1 gusset?

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 10:51 PM
It doesn't say anywhere to do another gusset, but after finishing the first leg, here's what it says:

Graft the gusset
Take the yarn attached to your skein and thread through a darning needle. Do not break the yarn, just use the first few feet. Kitchener stitch the 10 (6) gusset stitches together, starting from
unworked leg side of the crotch. If you are using interchangeable needles you can just detach them from the cable. Otherwise you will have to slip the gusset stitches to different needles (double pointed needles work well for this) so that you can start on the other side. See notes at end for grafting instructions. (Turn the pants inside out before grafting if you worked a garter gusset.) Weave the end in. You can take this opportunity to weave behind any stitches at the gusset edge that have worked their way lose and tighten up any gaps you may have. The working yarn is now attached at the other side and ready for you to do the second leg. Work the second leg as you did the first, picking up 4 stitches along the crotch gusset edge, and matching whatever leg shaping you did the first time. Work the matching cuff.

Back to the switch over..

Pick up and knit 3 stitches along the left edge of the gusset extension that you just worked, 1 for each row. Is this telling me to knit 3 stitches off the right needle or 3 stitches down the *ledge* of the gusset? Knit around the leg to the front center marker. Remove marker, and bring the front
around next to the back, completing the leg circle. Pick up and knit 1 more stitch from this side of the gusset, and knit 1 of the stitches you already picked up at the back of the gusset. Place
marker at inseam, and continue knitting around 1 leg.

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Okay, great-- that's just one gusset, and so the numbers come out perfectly. As for the which 3 to pick up-- you are matching the 2nd leg exactly to the first. So pick up off of the edge of the gusset, just like you did with the first leg, 3 in the beginning and 1 at the end, but in a mirror image.

mommyto2presidents
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay, so do I pick up the first 3 stitches on the right needle onto my first DPN, then knit around until I have come around to the first marker (which is 48 stitches - and I just noticed it is where the back gusset is (just without the extension))? That would be 51 stitches (48 + 3 from gusset) all on 1 DPN right? I'll split them AFTER I get the add'l 2 stitches on there, right? Then I pick up another stitch from the SAME side of the gusset (the left far left stitch of the gusset on the right circ needle?)? This confuses me.

brittyknits
10-28-2007, 11:38 PM
2 things:

1. Wait-- what happened to the other 10 stitches? The ones that were 10 to the left, past the back marker? If they are still on the circ, I think I would put those 10 on the first dpn needle, then pick up the 3 edge sts, then knit 48, then pick up the 1 stitch. Otherwise, when do you get those 10 sts back? I'm just trying to imagine this. Or maybe you pick up the 3 edge stitches, then knit the 48, then pick up the 1, and then you have those 10 other stitches, which will now be part of the complete circle?

2. I wouldn't try to get all of that on 1 needle-- you're likely to start having problems with them falling off, not to mention you will be trying to get a circle in a straight line:) . Instead, get the first 20 or whatever sts on the first dpn (that number includes the 3 you pick up), then take a 2nd needle and knit the next 20 or whatever number, and then take a 3rd needle and knit the last 20 or whatever number (the whatevers are for however you divide the 62 sts).

mommyto2presidents
10-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I talked to the pattern creator and she had a picture tutorial on how to split for the legs! :woohoo::cheering:

So, I know I'm probably overthinking things now.. I've split the legs and they are on the 3 DPN's. Now I have to pick up a stitch at the right side of the front gusset. How do I pick up a stitch? Here's what her directions say:

Pick up 1 stitch from the front side of the gusset. This stitch is picked up in the stitch on the right of the gusset and in the row just below the row of live stitches on the needle.

brittyknits
10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Hmmm. . .normally I would say that you just pick up a loop on the edge of the fabric-- that's what you do when you're making socks or adding on some ribbing around a neck. But she's talking about this business of the row below the live stitches on the needle. You know how you learned how to increase, by picking up that "bridge" of yarn between 2 stitches? It sounds like that's a bit like what she's talking about. But here's the point of picking up that stitch: you're adding on a stitch to your total amount, so that's one thing. The other is that you are attaching the current work, meaning the first leg, to the gusset. Does that make sense? Does it help figure out where you're going to get that 1 stitch from?

Also-- when you said you understand the leg split and that now you have them on the dpns-- you just have one leg on the dpns, right? The other half of the stitches should be resting on the circ., until you do the 2nd leg.

And that's GREAT that you talked to the designer and saw the tutorial!!!!!! Yahoo!!! Do you have a digital camera, or a non-digital one and then also a scanner for your computer? I would love to be able to see a photo of the pants when you're all done!

mommyto2presidents
10-29-2007, 10:39 PM
:woot: I got it! I got it!!

Wow, I actually got everything transferred (and when I say *everything*, I do mean 1/2 the stitches or one leg)

I'm going to start on the DPN's now!

I'm going to need your help definitely later. I found while practicing that I'm not really figuring out the bind off on DPN's. Simple I know, but like I said, I think I'm overthinking some of the easier stuff too!

And from here I just knit on the DPNs until I have the proper leg lenght right?

Wow!! I'm SOOO proud of myself and I couldn't have gotten this far without you!! You're the best!! :hug:

Don't go too far though, I may need ya! ;)

brittyknits
10-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh, I'm so happy!:woot: You are really doing great-- so close! Don't worry about the bind off, yet-- we'll get there. Yes, you just keep going until you have the length you want on the leg. What are you doing for the leg finishing? Didn't the pattern say something like there were 20 choices?:shock:
Thanks for the thanks;) , but it's really been fun on this end as well-- figuring it all out. And I've never done pants before! But knitting is knitting, and once you get the bits and pieces down, that's pretty much it.
Okay, let me know when you are ready for the next step. If it gets late and I fall asleep, we'll pick it back up tomorrow. But don't worry-- I'm here to the very end!:waving:

mommyto2presidents
11-08-2007, 12:25 AM
phew! okay, I finished the one leg and did a simple ribbing cuff to match the waist. Nothing fancy this go-round...

Now, I come to grafting the gusset... EEKS...

Here's what it says:

Take the yarn attached to your skein and thread through a darning needle. Do not break the yarn, just use the first few feet. Kitchener stitch the 10 (6) gusset stitches together, starting from
unworked leg side of the crotch. If you are using interchangeable needles you can just detach them from the cable. Otherwise you will have to slip the gusset stitches to different needles (double pointed needles work well for this) so that you can start on the other side. See notes at end for grafting instructions. (Turn the pants inside out before grafting if you worked a garter gusset.) Weave the end in. You can take this opportunity to weave behind any stitches at the gusset edge that have worked their way lose and tighten up any gaps you may have. The working yarn is now attached at the other side and ready for you to do the second leg.

Work the second leg as you did the first, picking up 4 stitches along the crotch gusset edge, and matching whatever leg shaping you did the first time. Work the matching cuff.

Any help with the kitchner stitch? I'm off to watch the video now...

Thanks again for your help!! :yay:

ETA: Okay, I've watched the video and it doesn't look too hard. I guess my question is how do I get the stitches on the needles? I use 2 needles right? So right now I have a completed leg with the last remaining stitch from the bind off (yarn still attached) and the circ needle holding what will be the 2nd leg. Where do I go from here?

brittyknits
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
First thing-- what exactly is it that is being sewn together? I'm imagining that you have one leg completed (:cheering:). So is one side (or more) of the gusset not attached to anything? I'm thinking that in order to do the 2nd leg, you have to have the gusset sewn to something? Was part (or a side) of the gusset left on a needle or holder, and so are live stitches? If not, you'd need to pick them up off of the side. This may be something where you're going to have to contact the pattern writer again, because it has to do with the more intricate aspects of the construction. But once you're past this, I think it's going to be smooth sailing, because all you'll have left is to knit the 2nd leg, and you've gotten 1 done, so you know how to do that. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happydance:

mommyto2presidents
11-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, they are live stitches. They were being held with the other legs' stitches. She told me to go ahead with the kitchner stitch for the guesset and then I can work the second leg.

I've noticed a few "oops's" along the way, but I'm darn proud that I've gotten this far!!!

brittyknits
11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
So does this mean you know what you're doing with the part you need to Kitchner stitch? That you're okay for now?
Of course you've found a few oopsies-- I don't think there is a project out there without one:) . It's how well you hide the mistakes that matters.:)

mommyto2presidents
11-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I forgot to post pix of the pants! They're action shots! :)

front:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/ungielou/DSCF0621.jpg

back:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/ungielou/DSCF0622.jpg

brittyknits
11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
These are WONDERFUL:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Your stitches are SO even-- you really did an incredible job. I'm singing your praises in another thread ("I think I can, I think I can").

Songbirdy
11-15-2007, 01:19 AM
I agree! Well done!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

lostchyld
11-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Those are lovely.

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Fantastic job for your first project! Incredible...

mommyto2presidents
11-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Awww... thanks everybody!!! :grphug:

dustinac
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
:woohoo: They look wonderful!!!:woot:

Abbily
11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Awesome job on the pants!! They look great! :)

Becky Morgan
11-15-2007, 10:35 PM
:happydance: :woot: ! If your first project is this good, what are you doing for an encore?

mommyto2presidents
11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
:happydance: :woot: ! If your first project is this good, what are you doing for an encore?

I finished a knit ski hat with pom pom for my daughter in 3 days!! :cheering:

What would be a fun new project to challenge myself (and Brittyknits :roflhard:) with? Gotta a pattern/site/link anyone????

sue in canada
11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
They look great. Well done.

rissa
11-16-2007, 12:35 PM
You did an AWESOME job! Both of you! Hehe, when I saw the other thread, I came to this one and saw the pants, then I wanted to read through the whole process you both went thru. Was alot of fun to read and I'm thoroughly impressed with both of you. GOOD JOB!!! :happydance:

brittyknits
11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks, but she did all the work:knitting: :frog: :knitting: :frog: :knitting: :) ! It really was fun-- figuring it all out without seeing it at all! I'm impressed you read through all of our chit-chat:) .