PDA

View Full Version : Cable Afghan Questions??

windy
10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
I am knitting a throw and am having trouble seeing the finished product before it is finished.

The throw is knitted in strips, with a big 6 stitch cable in the middle, total of 5. The strips are then sewn together when all are completed. My edges are curling which I know is a symptom of (stock st).

The basic pattern for the strips is as follows:
Cast on 24. K 2 rows.
Rows 1,3,5,7,9,11,15, and 17 (rs) K2, P4, K12, P4, K2.
Row 2 and all WS rows - K6, P12, K6.
Row 13 - K2, P4, 6/6RC (cable), P4, K2.
Row 18 - K6, P12, K6.
Repeat rows 1-18, 7 more times, then repeat rows 1-7 once. K2 rows and Bind off.

I am using size 13 needles and pretty chunky yarn. It isn't rolling all up together just my edging is folding in on itself.

My question is will this throw lay flat once it is all sewn together? OR should I stop now and try to use bigger needles or something to get it to lay flat before I sew it together? I am on a time crunch and don't want to be wasting my time on a throw that I will have to give to my dog instead of my neighbor!!

Any thoughts are appreciated, Windy

suzeeq
10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Once you seam the panels together they won't roll, though the ones on the very edge will, so you may need to stitch a border around it when you're done. The size of the needle doesn't have much to do with it.

windy
10-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks I guess I'll keep going then. If nothing else it will be a learning experience!!!

Thanks Again, Windy

cookworm
10-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Windy--is this the Lion Brand pattern, "Cable Comfort Throw"? If so, can you please let me know how the pattern is and how your afghan turned out? I was thinking about knitting this for my son and wondered how it would be to knit and how it would look when it's done.

windy
10-27-2007, 02:16 AM
So I finished the throw!! It was really fast. I am in the process of moving so I won't be able to post a pic for a week or so, but if you want to see it just email me. Thanks again for the help getting started. I am glad I went ahead with it. Can't wait to make another.
Windy

knitgal
10-27-2007, 07:11 AM
There's a little bit of a border on the stips already, so I think if you block them it should be okay. I knit an afghan is strips and it rolled in quite a bit. One thing that helped was slipping the first stitch (which you can't do now that it's finished) and I blocked it when it was sewn up. It solved the problem completely!