PDA

View Full Version : Just a whine...

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-15-2007, 04:52 AM
:hair: Ok, I know it takes time for injuries to heal.. but, I'm telling ya.. I'm going to be so glad when my hand injury is well enough that I can use it to knit again.

I miss it.. it's been a little over 2 weeks since I knitted last...

:waah::waah:

I missed knitting so much- that I actually figured out how to start a blog.. (address below.. please check it out and leave a comment- if you wish)

AND.. I did get my yarn from my 'secret swapper' Chrisl8.. and I wish I could knit it- (I do pet it every so often and that helps for a few minutes!) But, I want to :knitting: *I know that soon- I'll get to knit.. and I do enjoy seeing all the knitted items/etc. on this site.

Ok, 'pity party' is now over.. you may go back to your regular knitting hobby/time.

zkimom
10-15-2007, 07:33 AM
:waah:

Oh Gosh, poor you!

No knitting and reduced to fondling yarn for a fix!

I'm so sorry, really.

Blogging can probably help -- write about how tough it is to be without needles in your hands. Write about how much you love knitting.

You can take this time to organize your knitting. Take pictures of your stash, make yourself a "to knit" list, read some great knitting literature. Have you read any of The Yarn Harlot yet? If not, now would be a great time to start. If you have, reread some just for the inspiration. Or better yet, try an audio version of the books.

Is there something yarn related that you can do that isn't hard on your hands? Needle felting?

I hope your healing time goes quickly and you are back to being a knitting fool again soon.

Best,
Susan

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks so much for understanding.. only knitters would truly understand.

Problem is: I'm not supposed to use the left hand any.. and already have to use it too much at work.. (teacher) so, I'm more limited than I'd like. It's a tendon injury..

Just an example- in my art class today- I was showing my students how to 'tear' the masking tape to prepare the project form that they were supposed to build prior to papier mache.. and it was so painful to just hold the tape in the left hand and tear it w/ my right hand.. cause doing so.. pulls on the tendons.. You just wouldn't think that would you? I couldn't even make it tear.. since, you have to use both hands for the process of tearing it.

I'm going to organize my yarn better.. put up the newly purchased yarns.. WELL, truth is.. just regular household chores are harder to do w/ one hand.. so, I probably need to just focus on 'getting things' done that need to be done 'regular routine wise'.. it takes longer to do things.. and I go to PT (for my hand 3x a week now- so, that's progress) and I ice it when I get home from work.. for swelling. SO, I've been letting housework slide -- so, the truth is.. I guess I should do that before I try to do things to entertain myself.

:wink:

But, I know that my fellow knitters would understand the frustration of not being able to knit. I know that it could be much worse- and that eventually .. I'll get to knit.. but, darn it.. I WANT TO KNIT NOW! :D:knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knittin g::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knittin g::knitting::knitting::knitting:

ritaw
10-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I wish you better soon .:)

I know you must be frustrated but just take it easy .

Lisa R.
10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
WARNING! Typing can aggravate the tendon injury as well---go easy on that blog if you want the knitting back more quickly! :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Lisa.. I noticed that.. *typing isn't a good thing to do.. and I'm lousy at one handed typing, but.. I will keep trying to do better at one handed typing. :aww:

(I have to do a little :wink:typing at work too) so, I'm trying to get better at one handed typing. :D

rissa
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Oh bleh! :gah: Take it easy as much as you can, and don't try to do too much too soon. That'll get you knitting the fastest. And like others have said, organize your stash, maybe take pics...I should be doing that. Just got my ravelry invite, hehe! Lemme know how the blog thing goes. I haven't been too gung ho about blogging as I feel I have a pretty boring life, lol. (On the way to read yours!) :thumbsup:

PurlyGyrl
10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
:hug:Hope you heal quickly and are back to knitting in no time!

threesmom
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
oh, that stinks! :hug: for you! I was going to suggest to try dying or making stitch markers, but if it is a tendon issue, I guess these are out too :pout:. Does reading magazines (knitting ones of course!) help? Do you have access to them? If not, let me know! I can get some to you! I know someone suggested Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books - I second that! And The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood - awesome book. I know there are other books with knitting involved - like Friday Night Knitting Club, and Debbie Macomber books - but the Knitting Circle is the only one I read and would recommend totally.

Just rest up! :hug:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
:rofl::rofl:Yes, I love to read- but, I'm a school teacher by day.. and I have to do a lot of: reading and grading every day w/ the job.. now, I didn't say that I was reading 'my choice' items.. :) So, I don't read as much during the school year as I do in the summer. I think it's because: IF I'm reading for pleasure--- there is probably something else that I should be doing 'for school.' sigh..

AND, we do have a library on base.. but, I do doubt that they'd have any of those authors that have been mentioned- that's why AMAZON is my best friend. :teehee:

However, I might go and check out some new books and try to read a couple before they are overdue. THERE are plenty of 'things' that I should be doing.. but, those things aren't always FUN are they?

Good suggestions everyone.. now, go on.. check out my brand new.. blog.. you know you want to.. it's like taking a trip to a foreign country w/out having to spend money or stand in line at the airport.. nope, you don't even have to take your shoes off.. unless, you want to take your shoes off of course. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Abbily
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Wow, I am so sorry that you can't knit for a while!! I loved your blog, though! :) I wish I could travel around and see new places... but for now, I'll just have to relive my memories of the days when I had the money/freedom to do that. On the other hand, I wouldn't trade my wonderful daughters for anything in the world, so memories (and your blog :) ) will do me just fine for now! :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Abbily.. Thanks.. check it often- I'm going to try to 'update' it as often as I can.

That's why I do the job that I do-- as a teacher in Oklahoma- I didn't have money to travel anywhere- I worked part-time throughout the year and full time in the summer.

So, I decided that I needed to find a job- that 'travel' was part of the job. AND, I sort of managed to get that- I don't travel for my job.. but, my job takes me to foreign countries. I think that 'traveling for work' might get old- so, this works for me.

I do miss America- but, I go home in the summers. :)

Abbily
10-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Do you teach English overseas? What a wonderful job that must be! I have occasionally considered doing that... I do have my MAT so presumably I could qualify, but I'm currently a legal assistant. Go figure... :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-16-2007, 05:34 PM
No, I don't teach English 'per say' (although some of our students sometimes don't have many or any English language skills- but, that's another thing)

I teach regular ole ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM (last year I taught 3rd grade) and this year I'm teaching art. *I have 2 different degrees.

I teach the children of the US MILITARY that are stationed overseas. We have our own school system, on base, for them... in many different countries.

It's like our own little town.. one grocery store, one gas-station, (well, some countries you have to buy gas off-base) one tiny department store/hardware type store.. but, w/ thousands of people using the same stores on base. Of course, you can shop off base if you want too.

It's nice.. they are great kids to teach (for the most part). You know.. kids will be kids no matter where they live. :D

Abbily
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Wow, that sounds like such a wonderful job! Anyway, thanks for letting me live vicariously through your blog. :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-17-2007, 10:23 AM
You're welcome! AND, there is now a new 'blog posting'.. in case anyone wants to check it out.. and a poll to answer.. and comments to add if you wish.

COME on.. entertain me.. I can't KNIT.. :*(