PDA

View Full Version : What'cha reading?

Pages : [1] 2

knitgal
10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
As sort of a branch off of "what'cha knittin" I thought it might be fun to ask everyone what they're currently reading, or what they have just finished reading. I'm sure this has been done before, but I love books and I love hearing about books I haven't read yet!

I just finished This know this much is true by Wally Lamb and I thought it was just astounding. I love a book where there is a lot of character development and this book was full of it. It's a long book (about 900 pages) and it took me a while to read it since I tend to read before I go to sleep which turns into just sleeping, but it was great.
Has anyone read this? What are you reading? I am about to start A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. Has anyone read this? Any thoughts?

Stonington
10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
As sort of a branch off of "what'cha knittin" I thought it might be fun to ask everyone what they're currently reading, or what they have just finished reading. I'm sure this has been done before, but I love books and I love hearing about books I haven't read yet!

I just finished This know this much is true by Wally Lamb and I thought it was just astounding. I love a book where there is a lot of character development and this book was full of it. It's a long book (about 900 pages) and it took me a while to read it since I tend to read before I go to sleep which turns into just sleeping, but it was great.
Has anyone read this? What are you reading? I am about to start A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. Has anyone read this? Any thoughts?

Great Thread! Have read the Wally Lamb book and loved it. :woot: I just finished Tess Gerritsen's new book: (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Garden-Novel-Tess-Gerritsen/dp/0345497600/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4491738-5459141?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192462442&sr=8-1)The Bone Garden (http://tinyurl.com/29vvua) stacks of books to read but so little time lol!

anne

dreamsherl
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm currently reading Velocity (http://www.deankoontz.com/books/velocity/book.php) by Dean Koontz.

Jeremy
10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
The town in I Know this Much is True is the town I live in-Norwich CT. Wally Lamb was born here and used to teach at the highschool here.

auburnchick
10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
In my hands right now is a textbook for one of my new classes. The book is The Rise of American Democracy Jefferson to Lincoln by Sean Wilentz. It's a Pulitzer Prize Finalist, but I'm finding it non-engaging.

My class is about the Civil War and Reconstruction.

:::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::

jjminarcik
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I LOVE "I know this much is true" One of favorite books of all time! Have you read his other book, "She's Come Undone"? It is awesome, too.

I'm between books right now . . . I think the library is calling my name!

ladyjessica
10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Right now I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. A little slow so far, I'm hoping it picks up. I'm also listening to Mr. Jim Dale read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the umpteenth time. The 13th tale is the library's, so I'm looking for a good book to take on my plane ride to CA, if anybody has any suggestions. :waving:

Braden
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Nice idea for a thread! I'm currently reading The Firm by John Grisham. I've read 2 of his other books, and all of his books are great.

Jan in CA
10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm currently reading Predator (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0399152830/stopyourekilling) by Patricia Cornwell. The one I just finished was S is for Silence (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0399152970/stopyourekilling) by Sue Grafton.

Krystal
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I am currently reading "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. I found it on a little table in Chapters, with a bunch of Vampire based books and was intrigued. It's the first in the series of 3 books. I really am enjoying it, the chemistry between the characters is intense... But I am finding it alot more teen than I care for... and I hate hate hate when people try to change the rules of the Vampire lifestyle. It just irks me. But even with all the things I don't like, the book has me very involved, it's a little terrifying how she managed to do that.

I have a big package of books from Amazon being shipped out this week. I prefer my books to be Hardcover, I don't know why... But I don't like paperback. So I ordered Interview with a Vampire, Love in the time of Cholera and Wuthering Heights.

I am getting so backlogged, with knitting and reading. Not enough time in the day.

vaknitter
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I just finished a series of 3 books by Emily Giffin .. not thought provoking or deep, just funny books about men and women in their early 30's. I highly recommend it for anyone in their late 20's early 30's that is dating/engaged. They are a quick and easy read.

I also have a recent addiction to Nora Roberts and just finished the Quinn Legacy series.

Both the above are unusual reads for me - I am normally into classic literature and odd stuff I find on the tables at Barnes and Noble.

Right now I am reading - not thrilled with - the "sequel" to Pride & Prejudice. Written by a modern author I find it doesn't have the same charm as Austen's books did.

jcmom
10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
I only wish I could read for the fun of it. Right now, I'm going through Every Young Woman's Battle to decide whether DD is ready for it. I'm also in a book study with The Great Physicians RX, basically a new way of eating and living for better health.

DianaM
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I finished "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman and a book on low GI eating for PCOS. I'm now reading "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (yes, Dr House), and have Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things" at hand.

auburnchick
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm also in a book study with The Great Physicians RX, basically a new way of eating and living for better health.

I read Jordan Rubin's book The Maker's Diet. It was just fabulous. The way he explains how the body works and how various foods affect different organs is just amazing.

Braden,

I've read all of Grisham's books. They are very good. My favorite, however, is The Bleachers. It is totally different from his other books, but growing up in a very small town, I totally identified with it.

toomuch
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I read A Map of the World a few years ago and I remember getting pretty caught up in it. Seems like it was sad though. I'm about to start the last book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
Julie

zkimom
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns (http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Splendid-Suns-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/1594489505/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499771&sr=1-1) by Khaled Hosseini and I couldn't put it down. I tried to read The Kite Runner and couldn't get into it but this one I loved.

I'm waiting for the arrival of Run (http://www.amazon.com/Run-Ann-Patchett/dp/0061340634/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499924&sr=1-1) by Ann Patchett. I love her books, especially Bel Canto (http://www.amazon.com/Bel-Canto-P-S-Ann-Patchett/dp/0060838728/ref=sr_1_2/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499950&sr=1-2).

iza
10-16-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm reading "The picture of Dorian Gray", by Oscar Wilde. I love reading classics.

candicane
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Great Thread!

I also loved the Wally Lamb books. I am currently reading "Driving with Dead People" by Monica Holloway. It is very good.

Candice

GiddyKnitter
10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I am reading Faces by Martina Cole.. I have all her books I love her!!

Stonington
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I just came from Borders.(snuck out of work for a few minutes). wanted to pick up "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman-the movie comes out in December. Also purchased "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. Needed a comfort read, have been reading alot of blood and gore lately. lol. Love this thread.

anne
n. sebago, me

dmknits
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Just finished It's All About Him by Denise Jackson (wife of country singer Alan Jackson). I've never been a fan of his, but I was curious about what she had to say.

meearnol
10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
... and a book on low GI eating for PCOS.

Which book is that? I have PCOS and would be interested in reading this.

Right now I'm reading New World Coming: The 1920s and the Making of Modern America (http://www.amazon.com/New-World-Coming-Making-America/dp/0306813793/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6052406-5534811?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192555308&sr=8-1). I'm finding it exceedingly boring. It's a lot more political than I was expecting. I've read both of the Wally Lamb books mentioned in this thread, and I loved them both. In fact, I think I'll pull out She's Come Undone and start rereading it. I read it about 5 or 6 years ago, and I remember really enjoying it. So thanks for the jump start to the memory!

zkimom
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I just came from Borders.(snuck out of work for a few minutes). wanted to pick up "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman-the movie comes out in December. Also purchased "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. Needed a comfort read, have been reading alot of blood and gore lately. lol. Love this thread.

anne
n. sebago, me

My kid and I read the Golden Compass together last year. We all loved it and my son went on to read the other 2 books in the triliogy. He said he liked the Golden Compass best of all three books.

We are all looking forward to seeing the movie version.

AnnaT
10-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I just finished This know this much is true by Wally Lamb and I thought it was just astounding. I love a book where there is a lot of character development and this book was full of it.

I loved that book, too. I read almost nothing with contemporary/"real" settings but this book is fabulous.

I finished "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman and a book on low GI eating for PCOS. I'm now reading "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (yes, Dr House), and have Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things" at hand.

I loved 'Neverwhere'! I don't know if I like that one or 'American Gods' better. I haven't read 'Fragile Things' yet but am anxious to read it, and also 'Stardust'.

What I'm reading: I started Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy. I just got it in an omnibus-type volume. I'm not sure about it yet--less than halfway through the first book. I am not exactly sure what's going on yet or what anyone is.

I'm rereading 'Earth Abides' by George Stewart, and have 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova (still haven't read it yet) sitting on the nightstand table. Tomorrow I'm going to the post office to pick up 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss and 'Viking Patterns for Knitting' by Elsabeth Lavold. :happydance:

rachejm
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm currently reading Lord of the Rings but as I got a bit stuck with it a few chapters into Return of the King I am reading Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett as a bit of a break from LotR.

SabrinaJL
10-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I think I'm the only one that absolutely hated "She's Come Undone". It was a horribly depressing story. I know I was supposed to feel sympathy for Dolores since all these terrible things happen to her, but I just found her self-absorbed and quite detestable. I couldn't muster up an ounce of pity for her.

The His Dark Materials trilogy is excellent. I've read it 3 times.

I'm not reading anything right now. I just finished something by Fern Michaels (can't remember the name of it) and am going to start The Devil's Labyrinth by John Saul.

DianaM
10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Which book is that? I have PCOS and would be interested in reading this.

The New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS (http://www.amazon.com/Glucose-Revolution-Guide-Living-Well/dp/156924457X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11/102-7989394-6792155?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192588772&sr=8-11)

Diet aside, it's a very interesting book in terms of information about PCOS itself and why things happen in the body the way they do.

losnana
10-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns (http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Splendid-Suns-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/1594489505/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499771&sr=1-1) by Khaled Hosseini and I couldn't put it down. I tried to read The Kite Runner and couldn't get into it but this one I loved.

I'm waiting for the arrival of Run (http://www.amazon.com/Run-Ann-Patchett/dp/0061340634/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499924&sr=1-1) by Ann Patchett. I love her books, especially Bel Canto (http://www.amazon.com/Bel-Canto-P-S-Ann-Patchett/dp/0060838728/ref=sr_1_2/105-2889556-8078854?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192499950&sr=1-2).

I loved The Kite Runner and tried to check out A Thousand Splendid Suns from the library. I think I'm about number 10 on the waiting list, so I may have to buy it.

DianaM
10-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I loved 'Neverwhere'! I don't know if I like that one or 'American Gods' better. I haven't read 'Fragile Things' yet but am anxious to read it, and also 'Stardust'.

Stardust's really good. I have both the regular book and and illustrated version. Haven't had the chance to watch the movie yet.
I loved Gaiman's "Smoke and Mirrors", so when I saw "Fragile Things" I knew I had to get it. His short stories are great.

AnnaT
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I think I'm the only one that absolutely hated "She's Come Undone". It was a horribly depressing story. I know I was supposed to feel sympathy for Dolores since all these terrible things happen to her, but I just found her self-absorbed and quite detestable. I couldn't muster up an ounce of pity for her.

You're not the only one. As much as I was fascinated by 'I Know This Much is True', I hated 'She's Come Undone'. I read it once when it came out and never again. Robert Jordan once said in an interview that "Mainstream literature is often the literature of depression for the depressed, written by the depressed and read by the depressed." That's pretty how I feel, as well, and 'She's Come Undone' is an excellent example.

This is not intended to offend anyone who enjoyed the book, for we all have different tastes, but this is how I personally feel.

traceleighj
10-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Stardust's really good. I have both the regular book and and illustrated version. Haven't had the chance to watch the movie yet.

Ohhh...the movie was really good. It had a bit of everything in it. Think Princess Bride.

I just got finished reading "How Starbuck's Saved My Life" and I am almost finished reading "My Lobotomy". I guess I am on a biography kick. I will finish this before I go to bed tonight. I am also listening to "Labrynth" by Kate Mosse.

As you probably guess, not much knitting has been going on here. I have a book stash that equals my yarn stash! :noway:

AnnaT
10-17-2007, 01:58 AM
I have a book stash that equals my yarn stash! :noway:

Life is good! :thumbsup:

traceleighj
10-17-2007, 07:42 AM
That is what happens when you work in a book store.....

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
KnitGal: Thank you :hug:for starting this thread; its so interesting to see what everyone is reading. I usually have two or three books going at once; right know I only have two: The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough and A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie King. I subscribe to BooksFree, a kind of paperback lending club, and just finished Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker (it wasn't on my lending list--how I got it I'm not sure) I don't really like Clive Barker but this one had an interesting premise--old Hollywood mixed with Dorian Gray type of thing. Could have been really good but he just went on and on--a bit of word overkill.

Abbily
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh, in this thread I think I have found a new home... :)

I just finished a few really fabulous books!

The Red Tent (http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Tenth-Anniversary-Novel/dp/0312427298/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4302201-3904430?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192650460&sr=1-1) by Anita Diamant

Water for Elephants (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565125606/ref=s9_asin_image_1/105-4302201-3904430?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1W3NTN4NPT8F83DAYVQ8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=292859101&pf_rd_i=507846) by Sara Gruen

Snowflower and the Secret Fan (http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Flower-Secret-Fan-Novel/dp/0812968069/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-4302201-3904430?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192650514&sr=1-1)by Lisa See

Right now I'm reading Mrs. Dalloway (http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Dalloway-Virginia-Woolf/dp/0151009988/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4302201-3904430?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192650348&sr=1-1) by Virginia Woolf because I just watched the movie The Hours, which is about the book.

knitgal
10-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh I LOVED the Red Tent, did you read her other book, The Last Days of Dogtown? Very different, but also very good.
I started The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton instead of A Map of the World. I thought I should start with her first book.

KnitClickChick
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Second the posts about Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone -- fabulous! I have read it several times. I like the books by Philippa Gregory about Queen Elizabeth, Anne Boleyn, Catherine, etc. They are all very interesting to me because I have a lot of English ancestry and have always wondered what it would have been like to live back then. Of course, it seems that they liked to behead people frequently, so maybe it wasn't so great! I'm not much for romance novels, I find them to be a bit cheesy, but every once in a while I'll get one. I adore a good mystery - Erica Spindler and Iris Johansen are very good, Tami Hoag rocks. Right now I am reading Suspect by Jasmine Cresswell, it is decent. Has anyone read the Native American series by Michael Gear and his wife Kathleen O'Neal Gear?? Those are awesome, I discovered them in high school and I've read every single one to date. I like them because they are about Native Americans - and I don't know why, but I have always had a "thing" for NA. Maybe I was one in a past life or something, but I can't get enough. I even found a website a few years ago and taught myself a few words... pretty cool.

traceleighj
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Snowflower and the Secret Fan (http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Flower-Secret-Fan-Novel/dp/0812968069/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-4302201-3904430?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192650514&sr=1-1)by Lisa See

I loved this book so much! Have you read Sarah Dunant "The Birth of Venus"? Also really good historical fiction.

Abbily
10-18-2007, 10:20 AM

I loved this book so much! Have you read Sarah Dunant "The Birth of Venus"? Also really good historical fiction.

I haven't, but I did just check out two of Lisa See's other books from the library. Thanks for the suggestion, I will go put The Birth of Venus on hold! :)

Oh I LOVED the Red Tent, did you read her other book, The Last Days of Dogtown? Very different, but also very good.
I started The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton instead of A Map of the World. I thought I should start with her first book.

Nope, I haven't read that one either, but I will definitely go put it on hold at the library! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I LOOOOOVE this thread! :D

chiricahuagal
10-18-2007, 05:17 PM
I've suddenly developed two major reading-related addictions: historical romance and audio books. I can't get enough.

On my Regular Reading, I just finished the first in the Lymond Chronicles series by Dorothy Dunnett. I really enjoyed her King Hereafter and have read rave reviews of Lymond as being a series people read over and over (like I'm doing with the Gabaldon/Outlander series - addiction #3). Lymond is very confusing, but I have book 2 ready to start and am hoping I'll figure it out pretty soon - it seems it all got wrapped up in the last couple of pages, but I still have questions about what happened.

On audio, yesterday I listened to Elizabeth Peter's Crocodile on the Sand (in one day - I'm truly obsessed) which was funny; day before I listened to The Marriage Spell, and before that I did 2 of Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series (omigawd, It's In His Kiss had me guffawing out loud in the dentist chair). Audio books, even audio downloads from audible.com, aren't cheap, so I'm trying to limit my purchases but they are having a sale right now. But audio books and knitting is about as perfect as life can get for me right now. (hmmm, is that as pathetic as it sounds??)

I also found paperbackswap.com last week and have about 10 books out there in the mail - all you pay is postage to send your book to someone requesting it, and for each book received, you get to order one free - pretty dang good deal. Between that and used books at Hastings, I'm trying to keep my book spending to a minimum!

Krystal
10-18-2007, 07:59 PM
My Amazon.ca order arrived today, amazingly quick shipping considering it was free. I just fell in love with the way my books LOOK. Opening a big box filled with hard cover novels... mmmmm my kinda heaven.The dust jackets are all just perfect, and underneath the jackets is stunning too. I can't wait to read them.

However... Twilight (http://www.amazon.ca/Twilight-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316015849/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192751532&sr=8-3) took an amazing turn and I just devoured the final chapters. I realized the storyline didn't go very far for most of the book because she took the time to develop character's, create connections and relationships as well as history. She did this so well, that I didn't completely mind the lack of plot because the characters were incredibly intense. Once that was achieved the storyline and plot could develop, and it just made me NEED the other 2 books, New Moon (http://www.amazon.ca/New-Moon-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160199/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1192751532&sr=8-3) and Eclipse (http://www.amazon.ca/Eclipse-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160202/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1192751532&sr=8-3).

So I convinced DH and ordered them, (here's hoping Monday or Tuesday) and he got himself a few books. I cannot wait.

It's funny how for months I was re reading my old favourites... (Anne of Green Gables back to back 3 times... :) It is singlehandedly my favourite book of all time) Because I did not have anything new to read. Now here I have 3 brand new books and 2 more on the way. :happydance:

Abbily
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
It's funny how for months I was re reading my old favourites... (Anne of Green Gables back to back 3 times... :) It is singlehandedly my favourite book of all time) Because I did not have anything new to read. Now here I have 3 brand new books and 2 more on the way. :happydance:

Ahhh, a kindred spirit! Anne of Green Gables is my all time favorite too, has been since childhood. I'm absolutely in heaven now, reading it to my daughter!

Krystal
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Ahhh, a kindred spirit! Anne of Green Gables is my all time favorite too, has been since childhood. I'm absolutely in heaven now, reading it to my daughter!

That's awesome. I cannot wait to share it with my kid someday....

It was given to me so many many years ago... (13? 14? yrs ago...) by a friend of my mom's for Christmas. She really loved the book and wanted to share it with me, but for the life of me, I could NOT get past the first chapter. So it sat on my shelf all these years. Then last summer I was extra bored with no books to read, and I picked it up. I skipped over to the 2nd chapter and just kept reading.

I wasn't convinced at first, until Anne made the point about how important the spelling of her name is, and that she can just FEEL the way her name is spelled when people say it... That was something I did too... By the end of the book I like NEEDED the sequel but didn't have it, and I didn't want to let Anne go yet, so I went right back to the beginning. I have read it a good 6 times in the past year, always in sets of 3 back to back. I have the sequel now, but I don't care for that one as much. Still need to get the rest of em tho.

I wanted to send a letter to the lady who gave it to me to thank her, but I found out she actually passed away around the same time I picked up that book. :sad:

edit: I picked up the tv movie version on DVD and they did a grreat job with it. DH always asks to watch it... Last time we watched he said "I hope we have a daughter just like Anne." it was too cute.

Abbily
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I picked up the tv movie version on DVD and they did a grreat job with it. DH always asks to watch it... Last time we watched he said "I hope we have a daughter just like Anne." it was too cute.

Aww, that's sweet. :) I love the tv version with Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. I definitely need to get that for my kids!

meearnol
10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
You've all inspired me to read Anne of Green Gables again. I remember loving the book when I was little, and I read all of them (I think there were 6?) but I can't remember almost anything about it. Yay for books!

Quiltlady
10-20-2007, 11:56 AM
After seeing the movie version of Phantom Of The Opera in June, I've been reading EVERY sequel I can find!!! I've read seven books so far and have two more on order.

If you haven't see the movie I HIGHLY recommend it. Handsome and very talented :heart:Gerard Butler:heart: is the "Phantom"..need I say more.

If you want a sneek peek you an go to You Tube and search for "Phantom of the Opera Gerard Butler".:wink:

monzogary
10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm currently reading the entire Chronicles of Narnia series all in one volume. I am on the second book now - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Usually I read things that are thriller/mystery/horror type stuff, with some sci fi/fantasy and a few more ordinary books thrown in for a change.

knitgal
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
I absolutely LOVE the Anne books. Since my name is Ann, I was always really into Anne stuff when I was little. My dad taught photography on Prince Edward Island every summer, so I really got to live an "Anne life" for a few months every year. It was incredible actually seeing all of the sites from the books. I have read them several times and absolutely love them. I actually saw the movies before I read books. I want the new dvds so badly since my old video tapes are so worn out! I had a gorgeous annotated version of Anne of Green Gables and my mom lent it to my brother's girlfriend (without asking) and they broke up...well I'll never see that again! I was (am) heartbroken. My mom said she'd buy me a new copy since it was her fault that it's gone, but I doubt she will. Those books are just so well written and so absorbing. Has anyone read her other books? I've read many, but I love the Emily books and especially Jane of Lantern Hill because her dad reminds me so much of my own! I love L.M. Montgomery so much I even named my cat Lucy after her! I can't wait until I have a daughter and I can read the Anne books to her and watch the movie with her. I think they really instill good values into young girls, like independence and the beauty of being unique.

ladyjessica
10-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I can't believe I've found knitting buddies AND Anne buddies. :hug: Anne of Green Gables really changed my life when I was young, and I still love it. I've watched all the mini-series on pbs more times than I can count (although I'm really not fond of the last one). I just love all things L.M. Montgomery. Knitgal, I've read Anne, Emily, Jane, and ever other of her novels I could get my hands on. I've also recently re-discovered the Avonlea series on dvd from Netflix, and I've been enjoying that as well. There are very few books I've come across that really mean as much to me as Anne, and I'm so glad to find other people who love her as much as I do. In fact, it's been a few years since I've read the series and I may just be inspired to go pick it up again. :yay:

P.S. My two other all-time favorites are Gone With The Wind and Pride and Prejudice. :)

traceleighj
10-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I have to agree with you on the Anne of Green Gables series....LOVE IT!

When I was young my parents took me to a film festival here and I watched both movies for Anee of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea...then I got to meet Gilbert and also Matthew. Richard Farnsworth signed my books- I still have them to this day.

Have you read the Emily of New Moon series also by L.M. Montgomery? Very good as well.

leedsfan
10-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Peter Robinson-Past Reason Hated
http://www.peterrobinsonbooks.com/

PurlyGyrl
10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I, too, :heart:love:heart: Anne of Green Gables.

Knitgal: :hug: about your beloved copy.

Traceleighj: Richard Farnsworth signed your book? :woohoo: He was one of my favorite actors, too.

Abbily
10-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I can't believe I've found knitting buddies AND Anne buddies. :hug: Anne of Green Gables really changed my life when I was young, and I still love it. I've watched all the mini-series on pbs more times than I can count (although I'm really not fond of the last one). I just love all things L.M. Montgomery. Knitgal, I've read Anne, Emily, Jane, and ever other of her novels I could get my hands on. I've also recently re-discovered the Avonlea series on dvd from Netflix, and I've been enjoying that as well. There are very few books I've come across that really mean as much to me as Anne, and I'm so glad to find other people who love her as much as I do. In fact, it's been a few years since I've read the series and I may just be inspired to go pick it up again. :yay:

P.S. My two other all-time favorites are Gone With The Wind and Pride and Prejudice. :)

I can't believe we've 'known' each other all this time and never realized we had so much in common! :) I haven't read all the way through Gone With the Wind yet, though I've started it once or twice, but Jane Austen is one of my all-time favorite authors, and Pride & Prejudice is my favorite of her books. :)

flea
10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm currently reading the entire Chronicles of Narnia series all in one volume. I am on the second book now - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Isn't it cool how they're putting them in "chronological order" in these newer combined editions? I still have my first set of The Chronicles in separate little books and they're numbered in a totally different order with LW&W being the first and stuff like The Horse and his Boy and The Magician's Nephew plopped in the middle somewhere. Not that I'm complaining, I've had those books for... *does some math*... 23 years and they're still beloved.

ladyjessica
10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I can't believe we've 'known' each other all this time and never realized we had so much in common! :) I haven't read all the way through Gone With the Wind yet, though I've started it once or twice, but Jane Austen is one of my all-time favorite authors, and Pride & Prejudice is my favorite of her books. :)
Carey, I've read GWTW 6 times. hehe. P&P at least 4, and Anne probably 6 or 8. I just adore all of them.

HollyP
10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
How funny, I just got the Anne of Green Gable and Anne of Avonlea from the library tonight. I have read the series several times. It holds a really special place in my heart.

Abbily
10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Carey, I've read GWTW 6 times. hehe. P&P at least 4, and Anne probably 6 or 8. I just adore all of them.

Have you read any of Jane Austen's other books? There's also a great set of mysteries written *about* Jane Austen! They're historical fiction, but based on letters she wrote and other accounts of her life.

PurlyGyrl
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Abbily, you are right. The Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron are good and quite entertaining. :thumbsup:

ladyjessica
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
The only other Jane Austen novel I've fully read is Persuasion. I want to read them, I just haven't gotten around to it. I will definitely check out the other series, though. They sound pretty interesting. I'm looking for a good book to take on the plane to CA on Friday. Any suggestions?

losnana
10-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Did anybody ever read the Elsie Dinsmore series as a child? I had some that had been my mother's when she was a child (she's 82 now) and remember crying over them many times.

knitgal
10-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Anne lovers, look at what my aunt sent me today: http://anneknits.blogspot.com/
Isn't that neat? I wish I could knit and read, but maybe one day!

HollyP
10-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Knitgal you could get the books on tape or cd!

knitgal
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Good idea HollyP! I want to get the movies on DVD because my tapes have worn thin and I'm a pro at knitting and watching tv. I do enjoy books on tape though, they're so relaxing...hmmm....maybe I'll add to my Christmas list.

ladyjessica
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Anne lovers, look at what my aunt sent me today: http://anneknits.blogspot.com/
Isn't that neat? I wish I could knit and read, but maybe one day!
Gasp! I love it! Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm reading
"Facing the Flag" by Jules Verne,
"The Cat Who Saw Stars" by Lilian Jackson Braun,
and "The Secret to Low Carb Success" by Laura Richard.

I recently finished reading "Spindrift" by Phyllis A. Whitney.

rachejm
10-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Have you read any of Jane Austen's other books? There's also a great set of mysteries written *about* Jane Austen! They're historical fiction, but based on letters she wrote and other accounts of her life.

I love Jane Austen, I've read Pride and Prejudice - my fave book of all time, Mansfield Park, Persuasion and Emma. I have Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility but haven't read them yet. Apart from P&P I think Persuasion is fantastic, though perhaps thats my nan's influence as its her favourite.

dawnk777
10-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
It's about growing up Muslim and trying to advocate for better treatment of Muslim women. I have about 60 pages to read.

Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber.
I love reading about knitting and women's lives.

jodstr2
10-26-2007, 06:47 PM
rereading In The Heart Of The Sea - The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
alternating with
rereading Stiff
alternating with
rereading Mason Dixon Knitting

Krystal
10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
It's sooo nice to find some Kindred Spirits on here. *hahah I am SOOOO funny* Usually when I mention to anyone that I am reading Anne of Greengables for the 4th time back to back I either get a " huh?" or a BLEH! I HATE THAT BOOK!

It's good to hear that you guys also really enjoy Jane Austen, because I have been anxious to read her stuff. I guess that will have to be my next Amazon.ca order...next yr.... lol. I think DH and I have been enjoying Amazon too much.

Jan in CA
10-27-2007, 02:24 AM
I am now in the middle of "Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair" by Laurie Perry. She's the owner of the blog http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/

:teehee:

knitgal
10-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Oh Jan, do you like it? I love her blog and I have been coveting her book, but I didn't buy it because I didn't know how much knitting there would be in it. What's it like? I'm so curious!

Quiltlady
10-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm still reading sequel books to the movie "Phantom Of The Opera". I've read nine sequels since seeing the movie in June. I'm enjoying most of them.:cheering:

momwolf
10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Jan I'm reading the same book! I think it is kinda sad BUT funny at the same time

mommie*3
10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm reading "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. It's about a school shooting. I just love her writing. I've got to find a way to knit and read at the same time.

Jan in CA
10-27-2007, 10:30 PM
I read Nineteen Minutes a while back..it was good!

Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair is good and I'm enjoying it. There are a bunch of patterns in the back, but I'm on part three and there hasn't been much knitting in it. It's a biography/memoir kind of book.

If you can get it at your library that would be a good way to read it.

Jeremy
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I've gotten so sick of listening to the radio that I've begun to listen to books on cd instead. So far, I've listened to American Bloomsbury by Susan Cheever, a biography of Shakespeare and I, Claudius by Graves. I've enjoyed all of them and feel that my time has been put to much better use than listening to the radio. All of these books on cd were available through the library.

Jan in CA
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Okay, I finished Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair. I did enjoy it, but I have to say that I'm glad I borrowed it from a friend instead of buying it. It's not the kind of book I'll ever read twice. I suggest getting it from a friend or library if you can. You can always buy it later if you really enjoy it that much.

I'm now reading Kidnapped by Jan Burke. I love her Irene Kelly series books so I buy them.

PurlyGyrl
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Jodi: I have the Heart of the Sea, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Good??? I have read Stiff but for the life of me, I can't remember if I liked it or not--I dig it back out (no pun intended) and read it again.

losnana
10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I got tired of waiting for it to be my turn for A Thousand Splendid Suns so I bought it at CostCo. It was really good.!

mare-nitt
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I've suddenly developed two major reading-related addictions: historical romance and audio books. I can't get enough.

On my Regular Reading, I just finished the first in the Lymond Chronicles series by Dorothy Dunnett. I really enjoyed her King Hereafter and have read rave reviews of Lymond as being a series people read over and over (like I'm doing with the Gabaldon/Outlander series - addiction #3). Lymond is very confusing, but I have book 2 ready to start and am hoping I'll figure it out pretty soon - it seems it all got wrapped up in the last couple of pages, but I still have questions about what happened.

On audio, yesterday I listened to Elizabeth Peter's Crocodile on the Sand (in one day - I'm truly obsessed) which was funny; day before I listened to The Marriage Spell, and before that I did 2 of Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series (omigawd, It's In His Kiss had me guffawing out loud in the dentist chair). Audio books, even audio downloads from audible.com, aren't cheap, so I'm trying to limit my purchases but they are having a sale right now. But audio books and knitting is about as perfect as life can get for me right now. (hmmm, is that as pathetic as it sounds??)

I also found paperbackswap.com last week and have about 10 books out there in the mail - all you pay is postage to send your book to someone requesting it, and for each book received, you get to order one free - pretty dang good deal. Between that and used books at Hastings, I'm trying to keep my book spending to a minimum!
The Diane Gabaldon / Outlander series is excellent. I have the whole set and it was a good read.
I am reading The Divide by Nicholas Evans, and to me it is not as good as his other novels. It is interesting to see what others are reading.

awos1244
10-30-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm reading:
Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
and
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

jodstr2
10-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Jodi: I have the Heart of the Sea, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Good??? I have read Stiff but for the life of me, I can't remember if I liked it or not--I dig it back out (no pun intended) and read it again.

Heart Of The Sea is most excellent! :thumbsup:

punk knitter
10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
im reading "chicks with sticks. knit 2 together" just a teenage girl book about teenage girls that knit. its the second book, and i luv them. im not usually into stuf like that, im more into the fantasy/sci-fi/thriller kinda books. and the best thing about these books is they have knitting patterns in them!!!

aprildavis99
11-06-2007, 03:40 AM
I just finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.
I am almost finished with A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary For Lovers: A Novel by Xiaolu Guo.
I am going to read The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood next.
I am listening to Divine Evil by Nora Roberts on CD.
I am also listening to the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton when I can get my hands on them. I adore Agatha Raisin. I want to be a grumpy old lady when I grow up.:nails: :teehee:

Matdredalia
11-06-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm finishing "Dangerous Angels (a 5-in-1 of the Weetzie Batt books)" by Francesca Lia Block, and am getting ready to start "Irish Hearts" by Nora Roberts. It's actually a 2-in-1 of her first two books, and I'm pretty stoked to read it. I got addicted to her because of her Circle Trilogy last year. Soo good.

knitgal
11-07-2007, 09:16 AM
I finished The Book of Ruth last night by Jane Hamilton and all I can say is "wow". It was so powerful and moving. I didn't see any of it coming. I actually found it hard to read at parts because it was so tragic. Such a haunting book. I'm starting A Map of the World tonight...I hope it's not as sad!
Has anyone read any William Trevor? I have The Story of Lucy Gault and I haven't read it yet. My mom seems to swear by William Trevor....any other opinions? (of course I don't trust my mom's opinion!)

mhansen
11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I am trying to read Almost Dead by I believe Lisa Jackson. I am having a hard time getting into it. I've read a couple of other books by her and liked them. Hopefully this one will turn out good if I can just get into it.

elaineb
11-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm reading The thirteenth tale by Diane Shetterfeild , so far so good although it does seem to drag on in some chapters.

KnittinKnots
11-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I just finished the trilogy by Ted Dekker: Black, Red and White. I'm reading the red glove series by Karen Kingsbury. I am also reading Rick Warren's "Bibly Study Methods" and I have literally a stack of others waiting for me to read them. I have also started Brandilyn Collins' Violet Dawn. I am an avid reader. I've, gratefully, passede this trait onto my daughter. We are both nuts about books. I have read all of Frank Peretti's books, except for Monster. I'm almost done with all of Ted Dekker's books. My absolute favorites of TD is "The Blessed Child" and "A Man Called Blessed". They are not his typical books (he writes Christian thriller - best way to describe it). These two books, however, were co-written with Bill Bright, found of Campus Crusades for Christ. They left me feeling excited about life and the possibilites out there. I also like James Rollins, Terry Blackstock, Alex Kava, and many more. So many books, not enough hours. Between knitting, crocheting and reading, my housework doesn't get done all the time.:wink:

The.Knitter
11-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Ummmmm who has time to read? It's Christmas knitting time. I used to read a book a day, but now that I have found this site and motivation, I knit much more than I read.

tilllie
11-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Great thread!! I have a 45 minute commute and have started listening to books instead of the radio....Loved "Water for Elephants". I have reread the Jan Karon series many many times and want to live in Mitford!!! Also, really liked the Left Behind series. The delima of course is; read or knit, read or knit....I go to the library these days. I think I hae truely given/donated enough books over the years to have started a really nice used book store!!! Thanks for the suggestions to add to my want to read list! Tillie

knitgal
11-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Okay, so I didn't start reading A Map of the World, but I started The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery instead. It's her only "adult" work apparently. So far it's not bad, but I read the foreword and it gave away the story....so I'm not such a happy camper now.

pjsbabybj
11-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Great thread! I am another big audio book listener. Its great while knitting, driving, cleaning or just whatever. Currently I am listening to Ursula Hegi's "The Worst Thing I've Done". Pretty good so far, but a little disturbing. Odd love/friend triangle thing between two guys and a girl. I am also reading "The Dying Game" by Beverly Barton. It was recommended to me by a friend in my library group. So far so good.:cool:

auburnchick
11-10-2007, 06:31 PM
My latest books are Hadrian's Wall AD 122-410 and Causes of the Civil War. I'm writing book reviews of them for two of my classes. Sounds like fun, eh?

:ick:

:teehee:

happyanddandy
11-10-2007, 08:01 PM
I am never without a book to read and it's often a dilemma - read or knit? :knitting:

Currently I am reading Gil McMeil - 'Stand By Your Man' not her latest which I read earlier this year. It was about a woman who owned a knitting shop called 'Diva's Don't Knit'. A good read for knittters!!

aprildavis99
11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I am finished with A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary For Lovers: A Novel by Xiaolu Guo, The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood, Crossing Montana by Laura Torres.
I have started Any Place I Hang My Hat by Susan Isaacs.
Planning on reading Nefertiti by Michelle Moran next.
I am listening to The Bible: book of Leviticus on CD.
Just finished listening to Divine Evil by Nora Roberts.

losnana
11-16-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm in the middle of One Thousand White Women. It is really good!

ladyjessica
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm reading The thirteenth tale by Diane Shetterfeild , so far so good although it does seem to drag on in some chapters.

Let me know what you think of that one. I started it and then had to return it to the library because of a hold, but I just couldn't get into it. Does it get better as you go on?

I'm about to start a new book called Rhett Butler's People, a prequel to GWTW. I'm a die-hard GWTW fan, so I'm skeptical, but I can't help but read it all the same. lol. ;)

traceleighj
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm about to start a new book called Rhett Butler's People, a prequel to GWTW. I'm a die-hard GWTW fan, so I'm skeptical, but I can't help but read it all the same. lol. ;)
Please let me know what you think. I work at a bookstore and we can check out hardcovers (so we can recommend them when people ask) and I could not wait to check it out. I got it home and tried 3-4 times to start it and couldn't get into it.
Now I have to decide what book on my many overflowing bookshelves should I start. Maybe "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskill or "Atonement" by Ian McEwan. I am also listening to "The Constant Princess" by Phillippa Gregory in my car.

knitgal
11-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Ohh...How do you like Phillipa Gregory? I have been drawn to her books, but I haven't read one yet.
I love Elizabeth Gaskill. She's just one of the most incredible, but underrated authors.

sue in canada
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
I have read a few Phiippa Gregory books. My favourite so far is "The Other Bolelyn Girl". A great read.

Sunny_Singer
11-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I am reading "A Good Yarn" by Debbie Macomber.

Braden
11-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I read John Grisham's The Firm (an extremely good book), and am writing a book report for school on it. I finished John Grisham's Bleachers last night, and it was an extremely good book. I just started on John Grisham's The Brethren and after that will be reading A Time to Kill, also by John Grisham. Can ya' tell I love John Grisham books?

aprildavis99
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I got through about 60 pages of Any Place I Hang My Hat by Susan Isaacs and wasn't getting into it, so I put it down. I am going to start Nefertiti by Michelle Moran next.

traceleighj
11-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Ohh...How do you like Phillipa Gregory? I have been drawn to her books, but I haven't read one yet.
I LOVE Philippa Gregory- "The Other Boelyn Girl" was very good, but I think that I liked "The Queen's Fool" even more. I also have "The Virgin's Lover" to read yet. I am waiting for the movie to come out for "The Other Boelyn Girl" in December. I am glad that I read the book as it is always better than the movie.

happyanddandy
11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I am reading 'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton published earlier this year in the UK - So far so good. It's well written about a very old lady looking back on her life in service, there are secrets to be revealed :)

I belong to a book club forum at www.bookclubforum.co.uk - really friendly and good book reviews/discussions

ladyjessica
11-17-2007, 07:26 PM
May I also recommend Case Histories and One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. I enjoyed those as well. Traceleighj, I will definitely let you know what I think of Rhett Butler. I have so much to knit, though, that I haven't gotten to start it yet. :aww:

Jan in CA
11-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm halfway through Escape by Carolyn Jessop (http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0767927567/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195342227&sr=8-1). It's a great book with a shocking look at polygamy through the eyes of Carolyn after she escaped. I had no idea that their lives were like this.

happyanddandy
11-17-2007, 07:46 PM
May I also recommend Case Histories and One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. :

Ooh yes I am a big fan - have read these two - 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' is also excellent :)

traceleighj
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm halfway through Escape by Carolyn Jessop (http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0767927567/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195342227&sr=8-1). It's a great book with a shocking look at polygamy through the eyes of Carolyn after she escaped. I had no idea that their lives were like this.
I just read this a few weeks ago. I think I felt every emotion one can while reading this book. Very good, I'd highly recommend it.

Abbily
11-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I read John Grisham's The Firm (an extremely good book), and am writing a book report for school on it. I finished John Grisham's Bleachers last night, and it was an extremely good book. I just started on John Grisham's The Brethren and after that will be reading A Time to Kill, also by John Grisham. Can ya' tell I love John Grisham books?

Braden, you should read 'A Painted House' (http://www.amazon.com/Painted-House-John-Grisham/dp/038550120X) by John Grisham. It's not at all like his legal thrillers, but it's extremely good.

knitgal
11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I just finished L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle last night. Despite criticisms I have read that said it wasn't really her style, I really enjoyed it. Funnily enough, there was a biography on about L.M. this morning. I can really see why she wrote this book. She was so trapped and unhappy and she had to write about strong, independent, free women.

boo1
11-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter

I usually read mysteries, LOVE Greg Iles books. He has a new one out, I'd like to get my paws on it but it's still in hardback.

losnana
11-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Has anyone read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls? Fascinating, true story about a woman who ended up very successful in spite of her early life.

Jeremy
11-22-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm listening to Jane Eyre.

aprildavis99
11-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I am finished with Nefertiti by Michelle Moran --- awesome, could not put it down.
I have started Agatha Raisin and Witch of Wickhadden by M.C. Beaton.
Planning on reading Deafening by Frances Itana next.
I am listening to The Bible: book of Deuteronomy on CD.

losnana
11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I just finished The Wild Girl by Jim Fergus. It was great! He's the guy who wrote 1000 White Women, which ewas also good, but this is even better. It's about an expedition in 1932 against some Apaches in Mexico.
I'm ready to start Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who was named one of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2005. It is based on her life. I'll let y'all know how it is later. My knitting has slowed my reding down.

Beating_Earth
11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I am reading "Zodiac Unmasked" by Robert Graysmith. Yes I do have some morbid curiosities. My usual fare is horror novels and my fave author is Stephen King. He's very wordy in his books but they are all very good.
Im not sure what Im going to read next. I have a whole library full of books and have no idea where to start, LOL.

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I am reading "Zodiac Unmasked" by Robert Graysmith. Yes I do have some morbid curiosities. My usual fare is horror novels and my fave author is Stephen King. He's very wordy in his books but they are all very good.
Im not sure what Im going to read next. I have a whole library full of books and have no idea where to start, LOL.

Have you ever looked into Laurell K. Hamilton's work by any chance? She's classified a "paranormal" instead of horror, but her stuff gives me nightmares on a regular basis. I love it.

Beating_Earth
11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Ill have to see if I can find her books. They sound good!
Thanks

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Ill have to see if I can find her books. They sound good!
Thanks

They are beyond good. She is without a doubt my favorite author. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like the first 6 Anita Blake books. I knew a few people who tend to dislike her more and more as the series goes on, but they are far and few between. Everyone in my immediate family (mom, step-dad, hubby, grandmother, and myself) loves them immensely. (^-^) Seriously, the Anita Blake books are one of th efew things I'm as enthusiastic about as I am about knitting!

SnarfyCat
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Got it for Xmas this year from my mother, the best pie maker on the face of the earth! (see Thanksgiving food poll--ate 3/4 of pecan pie BY MYSELF!!) :roflhard:

PurlyGyrl
11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh, yes. Glass Castle was excellent. I'm still amazed by Jeanette Walls story.

losnana
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I finished Infidel last night. An amazing book about an amazing woman. She has a very different perspective on why Muslims should be assimilated into the cultures of other countries when they move there, rather than maintaining their own schools, etc. Definitely worth reading.

Blissknits
11-30-2007, 11:07 PM
>comes out of lurkerdom to post< >waves<

Hi guys. I read a *ton.* Professionally, you might say.

Right now I'm reading The Clear Stream: the biography of Winifred Holtby. I'm not usually a biography person, but I am completely in love with Winifred. She was an amazing, influential (and almost completely forgotten now!) author/journalist who worked for women's rights, "negro" rights (as she called it!) and the League of Nations. I heart Holtby. She's just so inspiring.

For "daily driving" though, I just can't recommend enough Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series! They start with The Eyre Affair - although I read the second one first, and I prefer them in that order- and are just fantastic. Especially if you are a big reader, because you'll get all the jokes, but really everyone I've mentioned them to has loved them. I'm re-reading them right now for my bedtime reading - they're smart and laugh out loud funny. :)

Abbily
12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
For "daily driving" though, I just can't recommend enough Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series! They start with The Eyre Affair - although I read the second one first, and I prefer them in that order- and are just fantastic. Especially if you are a big reader, because you'll get all the jokes, but really everyone I've mentioned them to has loved them. I'm re-reading them right now for my bedtime reading - they're smart and laugh out loud funny. :)
These are some of my FAVORITE books! :)

aprildavis99
12-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I couldn't get into Deafening by Frances Itani. It started off slow and I had to put it down. If a book doesn't grab me within the first 75 pages, I don't bother finishing it. :nails: So many other books are out there begging to be read. Is anyone else like that or do you feel obligated to finish a book no matter what?:??
Anyway, I have started One Thousand and One Arabian Nights by Geraldine McCaughrean and am loving it so far. :woot: I'm also listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. Pretty good. I like the sound of the guy reading it.
I haven't started my next Agatha Raisn book yet, even though I love that series. I'm almost done with a challenge and that book wasn't part of it. I am trying to read 2 new-to-me authors for each letter of the alphabet by the end of the year. I have 2 to go. :mrgreen: 1 each of M and A. So after Geraldine McCaughrean I am planning on reading The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood. This challenge was so cool because I found so many authors I never would have read otherwise. Now, of course I have tons of other books I want to read by these authors and my list just keeps growing and growing.:roll:
I guess I will need to start another challenge for 2008.:teehee:

aprildavis99
12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Ok. Didn't like Robber Bride either.:ick:
So I put it down and read Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander. I don't usually read biographies or history type books, but this was awesome. It's about a ship in the early 1900s going to Antarctica to lead an expedition to cross the entire continent on foot. They never make it because of weather and a totally frozen ocean. They end up stranded for months and do anything to try to survive. :pout: Great book!
I'm going to read Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand next. I need a "warm" book. That last one chilled me to the bones. :shock:

cristeen
12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one reading books for school.

Right now I'm reading "Immaculate Deception 2", "Obstetric Myths vs. Research Realities" and "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering".

I haven't read for pleasure in a while, actually. (Aside from the pleasure accomplishing school tasks brings.)

Jan in CA
12-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I am now reading... The Stupidest Angel - A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (http://www.amazon.com/Stupidest-Angel-Heartwarming-Christmas-Terror/dp/0060842350/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197652144&sr=8-1).
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

laptop_knitter
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm currently reading the latest 2 books in the Redwall Series; Eulalia and High Rhulain. I've been reading the series since early childhood - the series is about a religious order of woodland mammals who try to live peacably in Redwall Abbey surrounded by Mossflower woods. Like most of the people on here I can't wait to read these books to my kids.
I have been wanting to read the Anita Blake books as well as Anne Proulx book - can't remember the title now...

knitgal
12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I just started Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts off that I received from REVS in the Winter Wonderland swap! I can't believe she bought me this book- I've been coveting it forever. So far it's great, I love the Yarn Harlot, so anything she's written is enjoyable.

aprildavis99
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Jan, that book sounds interesting and funny. I think I'm going to have to check it out.:teehee:
I finished Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand. I enjoyed it very much. It was about a family going through chaos and loss and misery on Nantucket were it's peaceful, and quiet. I tried another book by her, The Blue Bistro, but I couldn't get into it. She has others I want to try also. They are all set in Nantucket, but they're not related stories. We'll see if I like any of the others.
I am now reading Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book by Robert Kimmel Smith. It's so funny and sweet. It's about a 70-somthing year old woman who wants to publish a book of all her original knitting designs and all the people whose lives she touches. It's great. I found it in the free bin at the library! So cool.
Next, I want to read Agatha Raisin and the Witch from Wyckhadden by M. C. Beaton.
I'm still listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. Jeez, that's a long book...16 CDs! Almost done, though. I thing I will listen to The Judge by Steve Martini next.

boo1
12-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Excellent book!

aprildavis99
01-01-2008, 06:57 AM
I did a lot since I last posted. I Finished listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts and The Judge by Steve Martini. I enjoyed them both very much. I also finished listening to Agatha Raisin and the Love From Hell. I absolutely adore that series. I have started listening to Agatha Raisin and the Day the Flood Came.
I finished Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book by Robert Kimmell Smith. Great story! I also finished Agatha Raisin and the Witch from Wyckhadden. I had to actually read that one. It's the only one my local library did not have as an audio book. I have finished The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore. Hilariously grusome. I also read The Mysterious Shrinking House by Jane Louise Curry. It's a book for kids 8-12. A very short adventure book written in 1973. I found it in a box at my mother in law's garage. Very cool. And lastly, I finished Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I remember reading it when I was little and wanted to re-read it with my son. It was great. We both enjoyed it.
I am now going to start my reading for 2008 with Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read around 95 books in 2007 and listened to over 30. I haven't actually counted them all yet. I hope to get at least 100 read and at least 40 listened to.

Jennyloves2knit
01-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I am in the process of reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. It is a great read. I am an avid reader but know that I knit,
keep putting my other books down to knit and read knitting books :) I am working on my first knitted hat and my first ribbed scarf :) I just learned the purl stitch! I love this site.

saracidaltendencies
01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
A while ago I read Maia, by Richard Adams...Awesome book!

Currently reading a book called The Founding Myths, which is basically about historical events that are not completely true yet are still taught in schools as the truth. Very interesting book, so far.

My mom has been bugging me incessantly about the Harry Potter books, so, I'll probably start reading those soon...lol

aprildavis99
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Still trudging along with Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. But I did read Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Sock Book and Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. I loved them both. Not only do they give patterns, they also tell you the basics of sock knitting so that you can plan and design your own ideas. I am on cloud9 . Sock knitting is my new passion.
Demonica -- I hope you enjoy Harry Potter. It's hard to read soemthing that someone pushes at you...even if they are astronomically popular. :roll: I tried reading Maia years ago and didn't like it. Of course, I kept trying to compare the writing style to that of my all time favorite Watership Down. Totally different styles!!! I may give Maia a second chance though. :think:
Jennyloves2knit -- I haven't read I Know This Much is True, but I have heard so many good things about it. I hope you enjoy it. I did read She's Come Undone also by Wally Lamb and that was a very good book. Glad to have you here at KH. Congratulations on learning to purl. Now you can do anything!

ladyjessica
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm still working on Rhett Butler's People. It's kind of a slow read anyway, and the holidays slowed me down even more. :cry:

rachejm
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I just started reading The Devil Wears Prada, owing to the fact that while moving back to Uni I managed to leave Sense and Sensibility at home!
I actually left loads of the books I want to read at home cos I just never thought to pack them, I was more bothered about making sure I had enough clothes. Gives me an excuse to go to Waterstones tho. I've been considering Bleak House but a lot of people I know find Dickens hard to read. I can get classics (such as Austen, Dickens, Bronte sisters) at £2 a book - any suggestions?

auburnchick
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok...here's the latest for school...

Just finished reading Lincoln's Generals. It was very good. I learned a lot, and it moved quickly. I'll be reviewing this book for one of my classes.

I just started reading The Rise and Fall of an American Army (US Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973) by Shelby Stanton. If you like military information, this is the book for you. I have to do a book review on it, so it's not optional. It's difficult to read...very technical.

I'm also reading American History and the Evolution of Western Warfare...my textbook for a military history class.

Lucky me, eh? Can you tell classes have resumed? :teehee:

Limey
01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist.

Guaranteed to make you think.

saracidaltendencies
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist.

Guaranteed to make you think.

I'm going to check that one out, thanks!

Krystal
01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Presently, Wuthering Heights. So far I greatly enjoy classics. I had taken a break from 4 back to back classics and read a brand new series, (actually read all 3 books twice in a row I loved them so...) I find it takes me a bit to get back into the right frame of mind to really understand all the old timey speech. lol. It's alot more effort than current books. lol.

Jennyloves2knit
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
aprildavis99- I loved the book She Comes Undone. I am working on my first ribbed scarf 2 knit/purl 2 for 32 stitches. I am enjoying it. However, since I did just learn how to purl, it has taken at least 10 hours to get 4 inches of it completed with all the ripping out and starting over. I am amazed at how addicting knitting can be! :) I have talked about it so much to my husband that he is thinking about knitting too!

McKnitty
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
My two favorite things: knitting and reading! I actually read my knitting books. I received three new knitting books for Christmas and I've read every page.

Right before I go to bed, I like to read a few pages of a 'light' book (nothing too involved or I'll never put it down to go to sleep). I am currently reading Knit One, Kill Two by Maggie Sefton. It was a gift for Christmas. It is an interesting concept to have knitting as the main theme of a mystery book. It is enough to keep my interest, but doesn't keep me awake at night (I don't like scary or creepy stories).

I've been reading the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella. For Christmas one of the books I got is The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie. I haven't started it yet, but I've enjoyed all of her other books. Cute, funny, charming.

iza
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I read over the Holidays "The Tao of Pooh", by Benjamin Hoff. I absolutely adored it. The author explains basic principles of Taoism by using Winnie-the-Pooh characters and stories, and writing in a similar style. It's so adorable (I'm a huge Winnie-the-Pooh fan!), and yet very interesting if you are curious about Taoism.

saracidaltendencies
01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
I read over the Holidays "The Tao of Pooh", by Benjamin Hoff. I absolutely adored it. The author explains basic principles of Taoism by using Winnie-the-Pooh characters and stories, and writing in a similar style. It's so adorable (I'm a huge Winnie-the-Pooh fan!), and yet very interesting if you are curious about Taoism.

I have yet to read that one...I have, however, read The Te Of Piglet and really enjoyed it. When my sister, brother, and I were younger...er...a lot younger...lol...we bought my dad the set. It came with The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet...I think those were the only 2 books that came in the set. However, after going through a house fire and multiple moves, The Tao of Pooh has disappeared :(

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 03:02 AM
McKnitty- I just finished reading A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber. I loved that book. I am going to look on Amazon for Maggie Sefton's
Knit One, Kill Two. Thanks for the comment because I love combining my two loves of reading and knitting :)

aprildavis99
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Jennyloves2knit....sorry about all the frogging :frog: , but pretty soon you will be knitting/purling along and suddenly realize that you haven't frogged in ages. :knitting: Then, of course, you'll want to move on to something more challenging and then the frogging will start again :roll: . It would be so great if you could get your husband into knitting :guyknitting: . How much fun would shopping be???:teehee: not to mention the quality knitting time together.cloud9

Ok...I have just put Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet on my huge gigantic mountainous list of thing to read!:passedout: :clink:

Quiltlady
01-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I just bought a book called "The Tea Rose". I hope I like it. So far so good I began it this morning.:wink:

aprildavis99
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I finally finished Tender is the Night. Not on my fave list, for sure.:ick: I had to force myself to finish it. I just could not get into the style of writing. I felt so discombobulated the whole way through it. I think I even lost a few brain cells.:roll:
I also finished A Hummingbird in my House: The Story of Squeak by Arnette Heidcamp. Great book about the author taking care of a stranded hummingbird over winter. Very cute and tons of amazing pictures!:star:
And finished listening to Deadly Dance by MC Beaton. Now starting The Perfect Paragon also by MC Beaton. :woot:
I just started reading Arabian Nights by Muhsin Mahdi and translated by Husain Haddawy. So far so good. :mrgreen:

bookkid
01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I am currently rereading At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Its a very cute book and I absolutely love the characters. I am currently listening to Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident on CD. I absolutely love Eoin Colfer's sense of humor. The characters in that on are great too. I LOVE Foaly!

get_her_donne
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Books! :inlove:

Ahhh right now I'm reading The Odyssey (astounding), City of God (long & astounding), Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (cute), What's Mine's Mine by George MacDonald (pondersome), a million research books for a thesis paper (bleh), and soonfully Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis.

Bookkid I've heard of Artemis Fowl books but I've never read one...are they good?

aprildavis99
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I finished listening to M.C. Beaton's The Perfect Paragon and Love, Lies and Liquor. I loved them. Unfortunately my local library doesn't have the latest book, Kissing Christmas Goodbye on audio. I'll have to read that one. Only thing bad about that is that I absolutely loved the reader, Donada Peters. She did all the Agatha Raisin books. Her ability to change voices and accents was wonderful. Fortunately my library has several non-Agatha Raisin books read by her. Now listening to Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.:star:
I'm still--slowly, but surely--reading Arabian Nights. It's great, but I also started reading The Emperor's Lady by F.W. Kenyon as well as knitting and knitting and knitting...so its taking me a while.:teehee:

traceleighj
01-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Now listening to Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.:star:

I just listened to Labyrinth.......good book. It starts out a bit slow, but keep going it's well worth it.

aprildavis99
01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I just listened to Labyrinth.......good book. It starts out a bit slow, but keep going it's well worth it.
I'm on disc 5 and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's strange, though, knowing that it's 16 discs long.:passedout: I'm used to the shorter books that are only 5 discs long.:teehee:

boo1
01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
The Blade Itself. Very, very good!!!!!

About to start another book tonight, must choose one.

KnitWit1987
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Im reading Dean Koontz new book The Darkest Evening of the Year. Its so great any animal lover should read it!!!

Stonington
01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Im reading Dean Koontz new book The Darkest Evening of the Year. Its so great any animal lover should read it!!!

I just finished this book! Great Read. :cheering:
Currently I am reading a book by Jennifer Finney Boylan- she was featured on our local news magazine show "207" It is called "She's Not There" Not my usual genre, I read more fiction-mystery mostly. But she was so interesting that I felt compelled to read her book. It is very good so far--
anne

nonny2t
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I just finished Sandra Brown's Play Dirty and it was really good. I also just finished Janet Evanovich's new book Plum Lucky and as usual it was a total hoot.

nonny2t
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I heard on my book club site that the "cat" books are now being ghost written. She is in her 80's almost 90 I believe. I don't know if it is true or not.

I'm reading
"Facing the Flag" by Jules Verne,
"The Cat Who Saw Stars" by Lilian Jackson Braun,
and "The Secret to Low Carb Success" by Laura Richard.

I recently finished reading "Spindrift" by Phyllis A. Whitney.

nonny2t
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I just finished reading the whole series of HP books for about the 10th time. I get something new I missed everytime I read the things.

I'm reading:
Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
and
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

msoebel
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I wish I could say that I was reading something intellectual and interesting, but instead I am reading a series aimed at teens. We have a youth library at our church, and I try to read all of the books in it so that I can talk to the kids about the books they are reading.

This is the most popular series now, so I am reading "Bitter Rose" - a book about a girl going through her parents' divorce. Not badly written for a teen novella, but not especially challenging, either.

I may take a break soon and read Jane Eyre again. It's my favorite.

zkimom
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Right now I'm reading one of my favorite books of all time, Winter's Tale (http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Tale-Mark-Helprin/dp/0156031191/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201283466&sr=1-2) by Mark Helprin.

I love it because it is a mix of fantasy and reality. It's like the Golden Compass (only better) in that the world it takes place in resembles the real world but with an otherworldly sense of magic. I can't wait until my son is a little bit older so that I can share it with him. I know it will appeal to his love of fantasy.

I am also trying to read Sophie's World (http://www.amazon.com/Sophies-World-History-Philosophy-Classics/dp/0374530718/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201284078&sr=1-1) by Josteein Gaardner but I haven't had much reading time these days and I always seem to be drawn to Winter's Tale instead. I'll have to return my library copy of Sophie and get my own so I can read at my own pace -- it's a long book.

gatorjade
01-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I absolutely loved I Know This Much Is True! In fact, I loved the story so much that I named my beagle after the main character, Dominick. Wally Lamb is a brilliant author.

Currently, I'm reading The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. That book is hard to put down!

Krystal
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I finished Wuthering Heights and just looooved it. It is now a notch above Jane Eyre on my list of book loves. Jane Eyre was very good, but I found Wuthering Heights to be more of a page turner.

I am currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera... and am kind of, really, hating it. :nails: I am trying to get past the first few chapters in hopes I will like it... but there ARE NO CHAPTERS.... It's driving me nuts. I usually like to read one or 2 chapters in bed before I sleep. But I don't know when to stop now... PLUS I find I am putting bedtime off more and more so I won't have time to read. :shifty:

I have never found an Oprah selection I didn't enjoy till now. Oh well. Wish I hadn't bought it though. :teehee:

I am feeling in the mood for something familiar. Light and sweet, and completely absorbing... I think it's time to bring out Anne of Green Gables for her first read in 2008. I should keep count and see how many times I read that book this year... :)

I should make a reading plan this year..

Mmm.. I need to re-read the Twilight series October-November before the movie is released in December... If the 4th book is released in November this could work out well.

At some point I really need to finish reading Interview with a Vampire. It's really good... but I had read Twilight before it and the books have nearly completely different "vampire rules." I kept getting them mixed up....

oooh that was rambly...:rofl:

ladyjessica
01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I am currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera... and am kind of, really, hating it. :nails: I am trying to get past the first few chapters in hopes I will like it... but there ARE NO CHAPTERS.... It's driving me nuts. I usually like to read one or 2 chapters in bed before I sleep. But I don't know when to stop now... PLUS I find I am putting bedtime off more and more so I won't have time to read. :shifty:

I have never found an Oprah selection I didn't enjoy till now. Oh well. Wish I hadn't bought it though. :teehee:

I am feeling in the mood for something familiar. Light and sweet, and completely absorbing... I think it's time to bring out Anne of Green Gables for her first read in 2008. I should keep count and see how many times I read that book this year... :)

I tried reading Love in the Time of Cholera, too, about a year ago, and I just couldn't. It's rare that I start a book I don't finish, but I just couldn't get into it. It just kept going on and on and on and finally I had to abandon it.

I've also been thinking about reading Anne of Green Gables again. It's been a while. It was such a special series of books for me growing up. I would love to find some Anne-inspired knitting patterns. :think:

Krystal
01-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I tried reading Love in the Time of Cholera, too, about a year ago, and I just couldn't. It's rare that I start a book I don't finish, but I just couldn't get into it. It just kept going on and on and on and finally I had to abandon it.

I've also been thinking about reading Anne of Green Gables again. It's been a while. It was such a special series of books for me growing up. I would love to find some Anne-inspired knitting patterns. :think:

Glad I am not the only one. At one point I just dropped the book, literally on the floor when I realized I was reading about a parrot... ummm epic love stories should not have random paragraphs about a parrot.... :teehee:

For Anne inspired knitting you should check out Anne Knits (http://anneknits.blogspot.com/) a blog of fans who read and knit Anne inspired items.

zkimom
01-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite books. I do have to say that I liked One Hundred Years of Solitude more but Gabriel Garcia Marquez has a way with words (in my opinion.) I love the twist of unexpected magic in his stories.

Funny, cause I am not a big fan of Oprah's book list. I've tried reading several of her picks and she and I just don't have the same taste in reading material. I guess that is what makes horse races, huh?

aprildavis99
01-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I finished reading The Emperor's Lady by F. W. Kenyon. Great book! It was a fiction about Empress Josephine Boneparte. It begins when she was a young unmarried girl and ends when she dies. It's full of intrigue...personal and political, extravagant spending, adultery, sadness, hope, and betrayal. It was a rather large book written in the 50s, but it actually went very quickly. I didn't feel bogged down at all. :star:
I started The Prize by Irving Wallace. A fiction about 5 people who are awarded the Nobel Prize and how it affects their lives...lives that were already hanging by a thread. It sounded interesting, but after 120 pages, I just couldn't read any more. It was so slow moving. It was a chore to get that far. I may try again in the future, but right now, NO.:nails:
So now I am reading Between the Tides by Patti Callahan Henry. It's about a woman who has been sent to her home town to spread her father's ashes, and finds herself facing issues she has spent 18 years trying to forget by never going back there. It's so far pretty good.
I'm still listening to Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I am really enjoying it. I am only listening to it to and from work so I am only on disc 9...7more to go.:teehee: I am also up to the book of Judges on my audio Bible.cloud9

Krystal
01-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite books. I do have to say that I liked One Hundred Years of Solitude more but Gabriel Garcia Marquez has a way with words (in my opinion.) I love the twist of unexpected magic in his stories.

Funny, cause I am not a big fan of Oprah's book list. I've tried reading several of her picks and she and I just don't have the same taste in reading material. I guess that is what makes horse races, huh?

Makes a good point. I love Oprah's pics, but don't like this one, you don't like her pics but really loved this one... Shows how different people tick.

For me I found no magic... just rambling on and on about things that don't seem to be going anywhere. I will try to read it again I am sure. I don't like owning books I haven't read... if I still can't get through it within the next 5 years, I am sure I will just pass it on to a friend, or co-worker.

zkimom
01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't like owning books I haven't read... if I still can't get through it within the next 5 years, I am sure I will just pass it on to a friend, or co-worker.

Have you heard of Book Crossings (http://www.bookcrossing.com/)?

This is the description on their site (I haven't joined yet but I'm intrigued!)

At BookCrossing, you can register any book you have on the site, and then set the book free to travel the world and find new readers.
Leave it on a park bench, at a coffee shop, at a hotel on vacation. Share it with a friend or tuck it onto a bookshelf at the gym -- anywhere it might find a new reader! What happens next is up to fate, and we never know where our books might travel next. Track the book's journey around the world as it is passed on from person to person.

The idea is that you read a book, register it, and then just leave it somewhere for someone else to pick up. Since you registered the book, you can track it and find out where the book ends up and how far it's travelled. I know it's very popular and there's even a Ravelry group of Book Crossers.

ladyjessica
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
For Anne inspired knitting you should check out Anne Knits (http://anneknits.blogspot.com/) a blog of fans who read and knit Anne inspired items.

Thank You! :) :hug:

Krystal
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM

At BookCrossing, you can register any book you have on the site, and then set the book free to travel the world and find new readers.
Leave it on a park bench, at a coffee shop, at a hotel on vacation. Share it with a friend or tuck it onto a bookshelf at the gym -- anywhere it might find a new reader! What happens next is up to fate, and we never know where our books might travel next. Track the book's journey around the world as it is passed on from person to person.

The idea is that you read a book, register it, and then just leave it somewhere for someone else to pick up. Since you registered the book, you can track it and find out where the book ends up and how far it's travelled. I know it's very popular and there's even a Ravelry group of Book Crossers.

that is really funny because I actually really THOUGHT about doing that. I remember hearing about that forever ago and wanted to do it... except all the books I had I loooved.

I think I will leave it on the bus. This way I won't have to worry about it braving the elements.

scout52
01-27-2008, 04:08 AM
I also read the Dean Koontz book Darkest Evening of the Year. I thought it was Excellent!!

I just finished the Friday Night Knitting Club. I figured i might as well read it since it had pretty yarn on the cover. :)

i thought it was good but the ending was unexpected.

aprildavis99
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I finished Between the Tides by Patti Callahan Henry. Loved it! :star: My son just finished reading Tabby in the Tub and loved it so much that he made me promise to read it too. So that's what I'm starting next.:teehee: I also read A Treasury of Magical Knitting by Cat Bordhi. I think the Moebius cast on and how she came up with it using an actual scientific concept is quite interesting. I need to buy some long needles to try it. That means....shopping! Yay!!!:woohoo:
I'm up to disc 12 in Labyrinth by Kate Mosse and up to the book of 1 Samuel on my audio Bible.cloud9

aprildavis99
01-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I finished Tabby in the Tub by Ben M. Baglio. My son was right. It was very cute. He wants to read the rest in this Animal Ark series. This book was actually #29, so he has lots of catching up to do.:teehee:
I started Chicks with Sticks--Knitwise by Elizabeth Lenhard. I'm about 1/4 the way through and I'm liking it very much. I'm also starting The Testament by John Grisham for a book discussion group at my local library. It's my first Grisham book. I hope I like it.

ArtLady1981
02-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Nothin' right now...but I should be reading "The Pillars of the Earth".
Oprah had the author on the show yesterday. I liked him.

aprildavis99
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I finished Chicks with Sticks - Knitwise by Elizabeth Lenhard. I enjoyed it very much. It kept in step with the first 2 books. Fun, easy, light read. :star: I'm still on The Testament by John Grisham. Liking if very much so far.cloud9
I also finished listening to Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I liked that one very much, but jeez!!! That was a long one...16 discs.:shock: So on to my next audio book. Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher...on 25 cassettes! :roflhard:

losnana
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Nothin' right now...but I should be reading "The Pillars of the Earth".
Oprah had the author on the show yesterday. I liked him.
I read The Pillars of the Earth several years ago and loved it!! Good, fat books are my favorite kind. Right now I'm finishing Diana Gabaldon's last book in the Voyager series. It's one of those that I don't want to end, especially since it is the last one, so I find that I read more slowly and fewer pages every day, to drag it out.

caramel
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Braden I'm glad to see that you're for Hillary

photolady
02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm reading This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti.

Anyone else like Peretti's books, or have read TPD?

Shandeh
02-03-2008, 01:12 AM
LOVE that book! :thumbsup:
I also enjoyed "Piercing the Darkness", which was the sequel to that book.

crazywig
02-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm still working on Rhett Butler's People. It's kind of a slow read anyway, and the holidays slowed me down even more. :cry:

I just finished that. I found the beginning slow but it picks up a bit later. Still, not a super page turner.

Now I've just started Outlander (http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0440242940/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202064002&sr=1-1)by Diana Gabaldon on the recommendation of many :), this is very much up my alley!

aprildavis99
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I just finished The Testament by John Grisham. This was my first Grisham book. I loved it. It was about a billionaire who led his family to believe he was dying and that he was leaving each of them a fortune, but he left it all to an illigitemate child they knew nothing about, then he killed himself. The lawsuits and investigations start! It was fast paced and kept me riveted. I don't know what took me so long to read his books, but I may just have to read more. That was my 12th book of my challenge.
I'm now starting my #13 book, New-Slain Knight by Deborah Grabien. It's the 4th book in her Haunted Ballad series. Yay! Her series is basically about a man in a Celtic band and his girlfriend who encounter ghosts that end up being people who were the object of famous old ballads. Very interesting and light and spooky. ;-)
I'm on cassette 6 out of 21 of Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. Wow! It's so good. It's about a girl sent to boarding school because her parents have to move to Sinapore on business and don't want to interrupt her education. This is set pre-WWI. She is basically happy, but some not so great things happen also. But being raised prim and proper, she doesn't want to "burden" anyone with her problems. Can't wait to listen to more.

Pagan Princess
02-09-2008, 09:41 AM
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Crystal Skull by Manda Scott

dreamsherl
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM

I read a number of Frank's books and really enjoy him. I'm currently reading Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice. After I finish this book I'm reading Monster by Frank P.

Jan in CA
02-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I am currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera... and am kind of, really, hating it. :nails: I

I read it because it had good reviews and my daughter recommended it, but I just really wanted to slap the main character silly and say "MOVE ON" buddy!! :doh: I read about half of One Hundred Years of Solitude and couldn't take anymore. I've concluded that life is too short to read books you just don't like and just because it has good reviews doesn't mean we ALL will like it. :thumbsup:

Sooo... I just started reading Bloodsucking Fiends-A Love Story (http://www.amazon.com/Bloodsucking-Fiends-Story-Christopher-Moore/dp/B00061XNQG/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202571410&sr=8-6) by Christopher Moore. If it's half as good as the other ones I read I'm sure it'll be a hoot!!

losnana
02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I just finished that. I found the beginning slow but it picks up a bit later. Still, not a super page turner.

Now I've just started Outlander (http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0440242940/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202064002&sr=1-1)by Diana Gabaldon on the recommendation of many :), this is very much up my alley!

I just finished the last of this series (Outlander), having read them all each time a new one came out. I'm betting you'll love it. Let me know what you think.

bookkid
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
i just finished three of the Cece Caruso mysteries and I really liked them. I'm listening to (:heart:)Jim Dale(:heart:) read Deathly hallows. Other than rereading Yarn harlot I;m not really reading anything right now, I need to go to the library and find something.

auburnchick
02-12-2008, 02:02 AM
In between reading for school, I'm reading Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp. So far, it's a wonderful, wonderful book!

aprildavis99
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I went to a book discussion group for The Testament. It was so great to see all the different points of view. I had never been to a discussion before. I really liked that everyone had differing opinions and weren't afraid to oppose someone else. I was afraid it was going to be a bunch of people gently agreeing with each other just to be nice. It was great. Some politely heated conversation is always good! :teehee:
I finished Kissing Christmas Goodbye by M.C. Beaton. It's the latest in the Agatha Raisin mystery series. Hilarious. The series is just light and fun and great for a quick weekend read. Loved it!:woot:
I also finished New-Slain Knight by Deborah Grabien. I also love this Haunted Ballad series. Very spooky and also a nice short quick read. :woohoo:
I'm going to start Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I will be attending a book discussion group for this one. Can't wait. I read it once before years ago, but I want to read it again so it's fresh in my mind for the meeting. I loved it then...as well as the movie. Great book!:star:

aprildavis99
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
The discussion group I was going to for Jurassic Park was cancelled so I didn't read it again. :pout: I started The Salt Maiden by Colleen Thompson, but I couldn't get into it. :shrug: So I put it down after about 50 pages. I finished The Moonflower by Phyllis A. Whitney. I love her books. :heart: They are simple quick romantic thrillers. I'm slowly going through all her books. It's great that my local library has all of them. :woohoo:
I have started Night Gardening by E.L. Swann. So far I'm enjoying it.
I'm almost done listening to Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. I'm at cassette 22 out of 25.:roll: I'm really enjoying it, though. I plan to listen to The Train Now Departing by Martha Grimes.

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Anybody read anything new and exciting in the past week or so?

In the past 3 weeks, I've read "Midnight on the Orient Express", and, They Do It with Mirrors, by Agatha Christie,
plus, Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories,
which were:
A Scandal in Bohemia (really good)
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, (another good one)
and Silver Blaze, which was boring.

What have YOU been reading?
I'm also looking for some books by Christian authors.
Any recommendations?
Any mystery fans in here? What are your favorite mysteries?

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:20 PM
LOVE that book! :thumbsup:
I also enjoyed "Piercing the Darkness", which was the sequel to that book.

This Present Darkness sure gives you a NEW outlook on life, doesn't it?
If only we could see what we can't see.

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM

YES! I'm a member of Book Crossings, and I LOVE it! I wish more people would become members, and donate.
I've "set free" over a dozen books. I LOVE to read.
I read the New Testament every day, btw.
Anyone else do that, in here?

photolady
02-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I wish I could say that I was reading something intellectual and interesting, but instead I am reading a series aimed at teens. We have a youth library at our church, and I try to read all of the books in it so that I can talk to the kids about the books they are reading.

This is the most popular series now, so I am reading "Bitter Rose" - a book about a girl going through her parents' divorce. Not badly written for a teen novella, but not especially challenging, either.

I may take a break soon and read Jane Eyre again. It's my favorite.

You're doing a good thing. What better way to reach teens, than to read some of the books they read?
I've read some of my kid's and grandkid's books, and talked to them about them. It brings you closer together.

lelvsdgs
02-29-2008, 06:41 PM
At home I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (the prequel to The DaVinci Code) and at work I'm reading The Footprints of God by Greg Iles. I just finished Virtual Tourist by Carl Hiasson. Excellent book...

jade1994
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I love to read my friends and i read constantly. i love teen romance novels its very trashy and i know that but im addicted i cant help it they are very funny. I like a good laugh it helps u through the week.
right now im reading blue bloods by melissa de la cruz
the name wouldn't make it seem like it was written well but it really is amazing hehe:cheering:

photolady
02-29-2008, 08:31 PM
At home I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

I have Secrets of Angels and Demons, by Burstein. Have u read that?

photolady
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I love to read my friends and i read constantly. i love teen romance novels its very trashy and i know that but im addicted i cant help it they are very funny. I like a good laugh it helps u through the week.
right now im reading blue bloods by melissa de la cruz
the name wouldn't make it seem like it was written well but it really is amazing hehe:cheering:

What's Blue Bloods about?

I wasn't aware of teen romance novels. What titles, and authors?
Are they easily found in bookstores?
Do you read Anime stuff?

BethLaf
02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
there are so many books on here that i have read too, i finally just stopped wanting to type me too me too!
currently reading Spindles end by robin mckinley
and just stopped at borders to pick up some new books
i just picked up the kitchen witch and sex and the single witch , and the scot the witch and the wardrobe, i havent started them yet, but i will once im done with spindles end ......

Shandeh
03-01-2008, 11:14 PM
This Present Darkness sure gives you a NEW outlook on life, doesn't it?
If only we could see what we can't see.
Exactly :thumbsup:
I read the New Testament every day, btw. Anyone else do that, in here?
I have read the Bible through, and see something new each time I read.
i love teen romance novels its very trashy and i know that but im addicted i cant help it they are very funny.
I used to read Harlequin novels, because my sister gave me so many of them. They are so silly sometimes...and so predictable. But, they help me get in a good mood too. :wink:

lelvsdgs
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I have Secrets of Angels and Demons, by Burstein. Have u read that?

I haven't read it but just looked it up an Amazon. I don't think it's something I'd read. I read this book (Angels and Demons) as a work of fiction and know that there is great liberty taken with the history just as there was in The DaVinci Code. Still make for great stories though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Indygirl
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Anybody read anything new and exciting in the past week or so?

In the past 3 weeks, I've read "Midnight on the Orient Express", and, They Do It with Mirrors, by Agatha Christie,
plus, Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories,
which were:
A Scandal in Bohemia (really good)
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, (another good one)
and Silver Blaze, which was boring.

What have YOU been reading?
Any recommendations?
Any mystery fans in here? What are your favorite mysteries?
When we put my mother in a nursing home we had to store all her things. I have been going through some of her books. She read a lot of books by christian authors. I picked out The Zion Covenant by Bodie Thoene. It has the complete set of 6 books in it. I started on those this week. She has around 400 books in her collection. They are all christian authors. It is so sad that she has lost her site because she really loved to read. FYI she is now 91 years old, still sharp in the mind. can't hear or see. Loves to tell stories from the past and I love hearing them.

auburnchick
03-01-2008, 11:40 PM
YES! I'm a member of Book Crossings, and I LOVE it! I wish more people would become members, and donate.
I've "set free" over a dozen books. I LOVE to read.
I read the New Testament every day, btw.
Anyone else do that, in here?

My kids and I do devotions during the weekdays. I use a devotional book for teenagers, and then we read out of one of the books in the Bible. I decided how many verses we're going to read (it could even be a whole chapter), and we divide the number by three since there are three of us (dh is sleeping still). We each take turns reading aloud.

We've read our way through Psalms, Luke, and Ester. We just started Ruth. We've also read our way through Proverbs...several times.

I have to say that I haven't read for pleasure lately (only required school reading), but I do have some favorite authors.

Francine Rivers is absolutely amazing. Mark of the Lion (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/724567332?item_no=339523&event=CF) is an incredible series of books. You should read them in the proper order. Totally breathtaking books.

I love Frank Peretti...even got to hear him speak many years ago. He was as animated in person as the storylines of his books.

Anything by James Patterson makes my happy. I need to read his newer books.

Another wonderful author is Jillian Hoffman. If you like James Patterson, you'll love Jillian. Here's (http://www.jillianehoffman.com/the_books_last_witness.htm) her website. She used to be an Assistant DA in Miami. My dh used to work with her. It's interesting to see someone you know change careers and become an amazing writer.

saracidaltendencies
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Currently reading The God Delusion, recommended by another member here, wish I could remember who!

Jeremy
03-02-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm reading Heaven's Command which is the first part of a history of the British empire by James Morris. I love history and he (now she) is a great writer. Its not dry at all and the stories in it span the whole world. I'm also reading A Letter for the Ages which is a translation of a letter with advice for ethical living.

I also read a lot of religious literature. Nathalie, I see you are making your way through what Jews call the five megillot. We read Esther in synagogue in a couple of weeks at Purim, Song of Songs comes at Passover and Ruth comes at Shavuot (usually translated as the Festival of Weeks) later in the spring. I like Ruth the best.

auburnchick
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Nathalie, I see you are making your way through what Jews call the five megillot. We read Esther in synagogue in a couple of weeks at Purim, Song of Songs comes at Passover and Ruth comes at Shavuot (usually translated as the Festival of Weeks) later in the spring. I like Ruth the best.

How very interesting, Jeremy! I did not know that the Old Testament was divided this way. I knew about the Pentateuch is comprised of the first five books of the Old Testament, but I did not realize that the Jewish people had organized the rest of the OT into named sections.

I selected Ester because I think it's a fascinating account of God's provision for His people. Plus, I thought the narrative would hold my teens' interest. I picked Ruth for the same reason. Another wonderful account...

I think we may skip Song of Solomon right now. I do not think my kids can handle some of the racier depictions, since it is a love story, so to speak.

As a Christian, I am fascinated (and thankful) for the Jewish traditions. Everything in the Protestant religion points back to Judaism.

KnitWit1987
03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
At home I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (the prequel to The DaVinci Code) and at work I'm reading The Footprints of God by Greg Iles. I just finished Virtual Tourist by Carl Hiasson. Excellent book...
I have that book on CD, I listened to the entire thing in one sitting (I know I have way too much time on my hands) It is a great book. Towards the end I was on the edge of my seat! It is the first book on CD I have ever listened to and I really enjoyed it. Although I do think actually reading a book is more relaxing.

nonny2t
03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I just finished Beverly Hills Dead by Stuart Wood. It is good, but he is such a jerk. He has 2 pages of what he doesn't want you to bother him with if you email him. He treats everyone like they are beneath him when he responds to you by email. I like his books, but he is a jerk as a person.

Jeremy
03-02-2008, 12:33 PM
How very interesting, Jeremy! I did not know that the Old Testament was divided this way. I knew about the Pentateuch is comprised of the first five books of the Old Testament, but I did not realize that the Jewish people had organized the rest of the OT into named sections.

I selected Ester because I think it's a fascinating account of God's provision for His people. Plus, I thought the narrative would hold my teens' interest. I picked Ruth for the same reason. Another wonderful account...

I think we may skip Song of Solomon right now. I do not think my kids can handle some of the racier depictions, since it is a love story, so to speak.

As a Christian, I am fascinated (and thankful) for the Jewish traditions. Everything in the Protestant religion points back to Judaism.
Jews organize the Bible with the acronym Tanach. Torah, neviim (prophets) and ketuvim (writings). The megilot are in the writings section.

KnittingNat
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I love megilat Ruth! I think it tells the true story of religion and loyalty.
I'm making my way through the 3rd book of François Rabelais (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Rabelais)'s "The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel". It's mainly about Pantagruel's friend asking different people if to marry or not. I have to tell you that 16th century thoughts of women and relationships are somewhat different from ours:teehee:. l also finished Lucius Apuleius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuleius)'s "Metamorphoses" also known as "The Golden A**", which was hysterical, IMHO. I'm making my way slowly through Propertius' "Elegies", which i have together with the Latin text, so i'm considering practicing my Latin a bit by translating the Latin part. On my list are "The Chronicles of Amber" and lots of other books i have, that i finally managed to unpack :yay:.

tarrentella
03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
some great books on here. i am never without a book even if it is non-fiction.
I have just finished reading The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris (the follow up to the delicious Chocolat) which i loved. normally not my sort of book but i love her writing style and the descriptions are to die for.

Right now i am reading Roberts, C. 2005 Trauma in Biocultural Perspective: Past, Present and Future Work in Britain in Cox and Mays (eds) Human Osteology in Archaeology and Forensic Science.
(go me for the referencing format!) it is for my course but it is very interesting and i have to admit i bought and read this chapter before i had even enrolled on the course! It is a shame though how reading somthing for an essay instantly makes it annoying though.

tarrentella
03-02-2008, 02:30 PM
oh and who was it who said they were on book crossing? i am too and will be releasing The Lollipop Shoes tomorrow morning.

i thouroughly recomend the site www.bookcrossing.com. oh im Tarrentella on there too.

get_her_donne
03-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Any recommendations?

Yes! The Holiness of God and The Invisible Hand by R.C. Sproul are both excellent! I love Sproul's writing style, its so captivating.
Holiness: Its Nature, Hinderances, Difficulties, & Roots is a long book by J.C. Ryle, but its worth the read. It def changed my outlook on life.
What's Mine's Mine by George MacDonald is a lovely, thoughtful story that takes place in Scotland. It's about these two city gals, and country boys...so you can guess there's a few affections going on :) C.S. Lewis once said this about MacDonald : "[MacDonald's myths arouse] in us sensations we have never had before, never anticipated having, as though we had broken out of our normal mode of consciousness and 'possessed joys not promised to our birth.' It gets under our skin, hits us at a level deeper than our thoughts or even our passions, troubles oldest certainties till all questions are re-opened, and in general shocks us more fully awake than we are for most of our lives"
Mhmm...he's a good author :mrgreen:

Right now I'm reading Augustine's City of God and Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion. It amazes me how brilliant these men were :shock: . Normally read a small section of one, then knit & ponder, and repeat for about 30 min. to and hour....quite satisfactory =]

Of course Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and Lewis's Screwtape Letters are must reads.

Quo Vadis is a suspense/romance (at least, I categorize it as such) that I read last summer and I loved it! It takes place in ancient Rome when Nero's reigning. I think I read it in about 4 or 5 days...

There's a few recommendations for you, I'll stop now :teehee:

Plantgoddess+
03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Just finished Three in Death by JD Robb (Nora Roberts) partway through rereading Memory in Death also Robb. Starting Stop the 401K Rip-off (love books on investing). I have The Harlequin by Laurell K Hamilton in line and on a waiting list for The God Delusion by Dawkins. Have At Knits End on cd and love listening to The Yarn Harlot musing about knitting and life.

aprildavis99
03-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I just finished reading Night Gardening by E.L. Swann. It was a very sweet book about a 60 something woman who's had a stroke. Both her children are alcoholics and her husband is long since dead. A relationship starts between her and the neighbor's gardener. I read it in a day. It was so good. I wish the ending was different, but it was still very good.
Now I'm starting The Night Garden by Pamela Holm. I don't know why, but I'm on a garden theme lately. Ha ha.
I also just finished listening to Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. It was 25 cassettes long, but well worth it. It chronicles the life of a girl growing from adolescence into womanhood and all the relationships that touch her. It was great. I am now listening to The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I was hoping that since the writing of that era gives me a headache to read that listening to it would be easier. Not really, but I will stick it out.

Shandeh
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm still plodding through the "Cat Who" books by Lilian Jackson Braun. I really enjoy reading about Qwilleran and Koko and Yum Yum. :heart:

Right now, I'm on "The Cat Who Smelled a Rat". I've read several of the books before, but not in order. So, I started over from the beginning, and the stories make better sense in order. I only have 3 left after this. (There are 29 books in the series)

I think I want to read the Mitford books, by Jan Karon after this, because I've heard that they are fun to read.

sabrinasmom
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I am reading A Sister's Test By Wanda Brunstetter. It's the second in a series based on the Amish community. Trying to read The One Year Chronological Bible every day too.

Shandeh
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I LOVE the Chronological Bible! :heart:

photolady
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I just finished reading 2 short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:

the stockbroker's clerk, and the speckled band.

am now on Agatha Christie's book:
the ABC murders

photolady
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I am reading A Sister's Test By Wanda Brunstetter. It's the second in a series based on the Amish community. Trying to read The One Year Chronological Bible every day too.

Where are you at, in the Bible?

lelvsdgs
03-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I finished Angels and Demons... wow, what a ride! And I've now picked up Catcher in the Rye, a book I somehow did not read in high school. Interesting...

Plantgoddess+
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
My local library system has signed up with an audio library organization(?) that gives you access to thousands of audio books to download onto your computer. You download the software and then through your library's website you browse the available books and download the audiobook for 2 weeks and then you have to renew to continue listening. Some books you can burn to CD so you can listen on your stereo or in the car. I did that with the Yarn Harlot's book At Knits End. The sofware is by Overdrive Media Console. Only one person at a time can have a book downloaded.

photolady
03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Plant, is that a part of "the big read"?

jdee
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Right now I'm reading "I've Heard That Song Before" by Mary Higgins Clark. I just finished "the Parting" by Beverly Lewis.

Indygirl
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Right now I'm reading "I've Heard That Song Before" by Mary Higgins Clark. I just finished "the Parting" by Beverly Lewis. I just finished "I've Heard That Song Before" also, good book.

kayrun
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I just finished "I've Heard That Song Before" also, good book.

Same here - - enjoyed it

saracidaltendencies
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Just thought of this one...Though I'm not currently reading it, I absolutely loved it, and, it inspired me to read a couple more books!

The book is, "The Secret Life of Houdini: The making of America's First Superhero". The book was so well written and well researched and delves into more than just Houdini's magic.

sabrinasmom
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
It's really hard to tell in this Bible. It is arranged in the order the biblical events actually happened not by books. Thank goodness it is divided into 365 daily readings.

sabrinasmom
03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry my last response was for photolady. Will figure this thing out yet! Has anyone read The Friday Night Knitting Club? It's a novel I saw at Wal-Mart. Title really caught my attention!

Silver
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I JUST started Pillars Of The Earth. :)

PurlyGyrl
03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
This sounds like a good, Demonica. TFS

Lollilulu
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm currently reading "Chronicles of Avonlea" by L. M. Montgomery. I really like her short-stories. Just finished "Mother" by Kathleen Norris. It's good, but Norris isn't a particularly good writer in other cases.
A bit old-fashioned? Yeah.

saracidaltendencies
03-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Now reading another...I don't know why I started a new one considering I have 2 books I still need to finish...lol...Anyway, this book caught my eye at Target yesterday and I'm really glad I picked it up, I'm really enjoying it so far! It's called, "Water For Elephants" by Sara Gruen.

It's basically about a guy who loses his parents and ends up joining a circus. However, it's so much more than that. I definitely recommend this one...so far...lol...I'll let ya know if my opinion changes after I finish it, which will probably be tomorrow. I read insanely fast when I really get into a book...lol

tilllie
03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I loved Water For Elephants!!! I listened to it on CD in the car and the reader did a great job of making the characters come alive with his different voices. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

knitncook
03-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm in major re-read mode right now. I do that from time to time. I read favorite books. I'm currently re-reading both Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope. One is perfectly fantastical and the other is perfectly inspiring. It's sort of how I like to read books. Something entertaining and fun and something else serious or educational.

saracidaltendencies
03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok, I finished it (Water For Elephants) last night...lol...And, I really, really liked it! Definitely recommend this one!

photolady
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry my last response was for photolady. Will figure this thing out yet! Has anyone read The Friday Night Knitting Club? It's a novel I saw at Wal-Mart. Title really caught my attention!

Yes,have read FNKC. I will see the movie, God willing, if and when it comes out.
VERY easy to read. You'll probably zip through it in a day.

photolady
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
The book is, "The Secret Life of Houdini: The making of America's First Superhero". The book was so well written and well researched and delves into more than just Houdini's magic.

Did it tell anything about Houdini's history, his childhood, adolescence?
Why he decided to go into magic, and how he became so skilled at magic?

photolady
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I LOVE the Chronological Bible! :heart:

Sounds good. I'd like a copy to read.

photolady
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I just finished, today, reading the 900 plus page book by David Starkey, titled Six Wives-the Queens of Henry VIII.

Great book. Starkey has a way of making you want to turn the pages, and find out what happened next!!
Entertaining read, and loaded with facts about England's history, and King Henry, and of course, lots of details about his wives.

tilllie
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I thought FNKC was good until the end...which I won't reveal cause I don't want to spoil it for anyone! A movie?? I don't know that I would watch it

saracidaltendencies
03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Did it tell anything about Houdini's history, his childhood, adolescence?
Why he decided to go into magic, and how he became so skilled at magic?

It did touch upon his childhood, how he got into magic, and exactly why he was as good as he was. Not only was he a skilled magician, but, a wonderful entertainer, which, I have learned, is integral to being a great magician.

This book, however, went even further, detailing the speculation that Houdini was indeed a spy, and, Houdini's determination to reveal the deception behind psychics and mediums. Above all, it disputed the claim Houdini died solely from that "fatal" punch to the gut.

I don't want to give too much away so I'll stop there, but, I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the life of Houdini; it definitely goes beyond the entertainer side of Houdini.

After reading this book, I just had to learn more about the Romanov's and Rasputin and I did read a book about Nicholas and Alexandra and I'm still waiting on my sister to finish a book of my mom's about Rasputin.

nonny2t
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I just finished Jodi Piccoult's book about the Amish called Plain Truth, which was really good. Finished a nonfiction Lawrence Goldstone book, The Anatomy of Deception, which if you are interested in medical anything you would really like the extensive research done by this author for this book. Though about a murder, it is based on medical practices in the late 1800's and I loved it. Finished a Danielle Steel book, Amazing Grace, which was just ok in my opinion.

ladyjessica
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm almost finished reading Jasper Fforde's 'The Eyre Affair,' and I can't decide whether to continue on with the series or to start something else. Has anybody read these? I have enjoyed this one so far, but not sure if the sequels would be worth my time. Any advice?

Blissknits
03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
The sequels are even better!!! :)

Rhea
03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm reading Persuasion (My first time reading Austen) Loving it so far.