PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Irish Hiking Scarf improvisation!

The.Knitter
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Sooooooo I saw the pattern for the Irish Hiking Scarf somewhere on this website yesterday and I thought hmmm that would be a good project to start and stop each time I was not doing a project for someone else to keep me knitting. I was going to make myself a scarf. After I started knitting the "scarf", I thought it would be great to use as a panel in an afghan. I live in a basement apartment and it gets cold here in the winter time. I thought an afghan would be just the thing and it is something I would FINALLY be making for ME!!!
:roflhard:

I have enough of a lovely worsted in bright red. I thought I would make two "panels" using the scarf pattern and then make a center pattern in another pattern with perhaps one cable in the center and something else on either side of it, but keeping with the 42 stitches on the needle. Has anyone got any ideas? I would welcome any ideas.....

PurlyGyrl
10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Cool idea. :thumbsup: Claire Crompton has an afghan pattern in her book, The Knitter's Bible, that's composed of several cabled panels. Here's link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Bible-Claire-Crompton/dp/0715317997/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0944084-6727647?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192482066&sr=8-1

I don't see why your idea wouldn't work the same.

The.Knitter
10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks. I can't afford to buy a pattern book right now though. I don't have a credit card, so I can't order one online either. Perhaps after Christmas I will be able to, who knows.... Anyone else have any ideas?

mrslevite
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
The Lion Brand website has some free patterns, and if I remember correctly, there are some cable scarf patterns that may be suitable.

Also, here is a pattern that I want to make, just trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money at one time to buy the yarn. http://www.magknits.com/Oct07/patterns/burridge.htm

I'm thinking that I may make it with Vanna's yarn. That will be a lot less expensive.

Jen17
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
if you google:lionbrand cable afghan knit pattern, it will bring up a nice looking afghan and it has the free pattern underneath it, just scroll down
It does have a cast on of 24 sts. and I'm not sure what you are looking for. Does the cable panel HAVE to have 42 stitches?

Jen17
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Theresa, that is one gorgeous pattern, I just marked it so when I get to make one for me I can do this one!
I don't know what Vanna's yarn is like, but one thing I have learned is it is better to spend a bit more money on good yarn, especially if you are going to put in all that work. If patons is too much, maybe try Reynolds Signature yarn or Utopia, both nice yarns and soft and the price is good, most LYS have those yarns. These are not the best yarns and they are part or all acrylic, but machine washable. I don't know what yarn I'm going to use, but what I might do is have my LYS order the yarn and then just pay for a few skeins at a time. My store lets us do that!!! When you do it, please post it, I would love to see it!

mrslevite
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too, about using the good stuff. If I put that much time into it, I want it to last forever. The pattern calls for 21 skeins. Unless it goes on sale at a really good price, that's over $100. That's an awful lot for me to plunk down at one time. I'm going to keep looking for something for it.

The.Knitter
10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Beautiful but it is made with wool, and I am highly allergic to wool. The side panel would have made a nice center panel for what I am doing. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else got a suggestion for me that does not include wool?

Jen17
10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too, about using the good stuff. If I put that much time into it, I want it to last forever. The pattern calls for 21 skeins. Unless it goes on sale at a really good price, that's over $100. That's an awful lot for me to plunk down at one time. I'm going to keep looking for something for it.

Have you ever gone on e-bay? Sometimes they have some good stuff and at great prices! or maybe the WEBS store in Northampton, MA...you can google it. My mom had wanted a sweater in a specific pattern. I tried to make it in a different yarn than the pattern called for and it was a disaster. So I by chance went on this site and found the yarn (that had been discontinued) at a great price. It had been 10.79 per skein and I got it at 5.17 per skein!!
Keep looking.. YOUR yarn that will make you happy will pop up. As you know it is no fun to work with yarn you aren't crazy about, especially if you are going to be working with it for as long as it takes to make an afghan!!:knitting:

suzeeq
10-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Look for the book in your local library, they may have it or be able to request it from another one. You can copy patterns from library books for your own use.

The.Knitter
10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Good idea SuzeeQ. I was glad to have the yarn hanging around waiting for a project to knit. I blew my knitting budget buying the Denise Interchangable needles. It was probably the single best knitting supply decision I have ever made. Now that I have them I am just itching to knit and can't afford the yarn. Oh well, life goes on..... I won't always be totally broke! The car broke down last week and it cost $450.00 to fix it. That took a lot of the "spare" money. Thankfully I had already paid for my Denise needles. I got them at the beginning of last week. I love that they click in instead of screwing in. Because they are resin they glide easily inside the yarn. I am thrilled with them. Now bring on the knitting projects (when I can afford the yarn).

The.Knitter
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
if you google:lionbrand cable afghan knit pattern, it will bring up a nice looking afghan and it has the free pattern underneath it, just scroll down
It does have a cast on of 24 sts. and I'm not sure what you are looking for. Does the cable panel HAVE to have 42 stitches?

Thanks so much. I am going to do two panels of the Irish Hiking Scarf for the outside and then do one panel of the lion brand cable afghan knit pattern for the middle. The IHS has three cables across, the LCAKP has one in the centre so I think it is going to look really great together.

I am doing the Irish Hiking Scarf in red but haven't decided yet what colour to do the lion brand cable panel.

Onward and upward I go.

Thanks to all who helped me decide what to do with my "scrap" yarn and especially to Jen for finding the solution for me without costing me big bucks!

The.Knitter
10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
OK, so I frogged the Irish Hiking Scarf and started the Palindrome Scarf. It is going so much more quickly and the advantage is that it is reversible. It will make a better afghan. I will do two panels of it in the red I have and then I will go and get some other colour, perhaps cream, but I haven't decided yet, to go with in the center panel. Then I will come back on here to get instructions on a border for the whole thing. This way the afghan looks the same front and back. I will crochet the panels together when I am finished them. Broke my heart to frog 8 inches of the other but I think this is a better idea.

nancydee
10-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to comment on the yarn issue -- I am using Vanna's yarn right now for a log cabin blanket with a size 8 needle. I am really impressed with the softness and structure and body of it as it knits up. It comes in beautiful colors and is washable -- it is acryllic but feels really great! Oh, and both at Joann's and Michael's, I have purchased it on sale. I also made a hat out of it, and it came out really well too! I do agree with the idea of purchasing good yarn for a project that is soooooo time consuming, but I wanted something I could wash and would feel good too! This turned out to be exactly what I needed and the cost was reasonable. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide to use!

Nancydee

The.Knitter
10-21-2007, 12:13 AM
This is going so much quicker than the Irish Hiking Scarf pattern did. I had 8" after several days with the IHS and with the Palindrome I have 5" done after one afternoon of knitting. It DOES look the same on the front and on the back and I think this is going to make a much nicer afghan. I think I have decided on red panels on either end and a nice chocolate brown panel in the middle, perhaps a little wider than the two red panels. I am pleased with this. Thanks so much all for the help and encouragement.