PDA

View Full Version : Easy reformat for printing online patterns!

redwitch
10-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi all, I imagine most of you do this, but I thought I was reasonably computer-literate and this has only just occurred to me.

You know how sometimes you want to print out a free pattern from a webpage and pieces get cut off the right side (like Magknits), or lost, or the text is way too skinny and only uses half the width of a page, or you only want certain parts but the webpage has lots of unnecessary bits in between? And highlight and print selection isn't quite doing it?

I have just worked out that... copy and pasting the relevant bits into a Word document allows me to reformat stuff really fast and only include the photos and text that I want.

(Sorry to be obvious but there must be a couple of people here as slow as I am.)

Sarah

WandaT
10-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Yup, that's exactly what I do!

gingerbread
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
I use print screen 2000, my husband put that program on it a long time ago. I just use that when I want only certain parts of a free pattern. Sometimes it can get a little tiresome if it is a lot. I might give your way a try see there are a few that are also slooooooooooow:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflh ard::roflhard:

stirsmommy
10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Well I certainly hadn't thought of that. Duh! :wall: It would probably prevent the wonky look I occasionally get with the charts. That would be great as I wouldn't have to have the computer open to knit. Yea!

meearnol
10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
That's what I do, but the only reason I figured that out was because my printer was out of black ink. The only way I could print anything was to paste it into Word and change the font to blue or red. :teehee:

figaro
10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a form for printing patterns saved on my desktop. I put 2 columns on it with a line in the middle (I found this to save some paper), p/c the picture then the instructions and at the bottom of the pattern I p/c the address and then I put the date on it. That way, if someone ever sees the pattern and wants to know where I got it I can give them the exact address and if I missed part of it I can also go back and figure what I left out. I just wish I started at the beginning of my printing out patterns, I think it would have saved me some time, energy and paper!

Jan in CA
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I also copy and paste, but usually into Wordpad. Mine all look like nice patterns now...I make a title, add the picture, then the pattern. It takes some time, but...:shrug:

debinoz
10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
I use the older MS Word and I can never get the pictures to show up. They are there when I save it, but when I go to open it again, it gives the malarky about not being able to show the graphics. So most of mine are pictureless.

cmk
10-16-2007, 04:31 PM
At the top of the Print Preview page, I have an option of "shrink to fit" so I use that most of the time. If there is too much stuff on the page, I copy and paste into a word doc, too.

Carolyn