PDA

View Full Version : Cabled hat from cables untangled

mornnen
10-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi everybody--

I've been swamped this semester, and I've not been posting much, but I have made time for knitting. This hat is from the simple scarf and hat set found in cables untangled.

Its for my mom, I mailed it to her this past weekend, in time for the cold Minnesota weather. She likes to walk outside to get her exercise, and needs to keep her ears warm. The last hat I knit didn't cover her hears. So I modified the pattern to add another 1/2 inch or so of ribbing, so that it could be folded double over her ears.

She called yesterday afternoon, and the hat arrived, and fits her perfectly (whew!).:woohoo:

The yarn is Valley yarns Superwash (superwash merino wool) in the color periwinkle. It took 2 balls --with very little to spare. I used size 7 needles and made the larger of the two sizes.
Here are the pics...Thanks for looking!:)

ladyjessica
10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
That's just beautiful, and I love the color! I'm going to be making that and the scarf soon. How did you find it? It's been a while since I've made a hat, so I just wondered if it was difficult. Great job!:yay:

Jan in CA
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
That is a beautiful hat!

mornnen
10-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Jessica--

Thanks! The scarf and hat are both easy (I will be binding off the scarf today). The thing about the hat is that it takes longer not only because there are more stitches, but also more cables so it took me longer than I thought it would to finish a cable row. It has me seriously thinking about how to cable without using a cable needle. But it was not difficult.

The one part of the hat pattern that confused me was the increase row before you start the cables, and I can't remember now what threw me off.

Other than that, it was really straightforward.

That's just beautiful, and I love the color! I'm going to be making that and the scarf soon. How did you find it? It's been a while since I've made a hat, so I just wondered if it was difficult. Great job!:yay:

dmknits
10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
It looks great!

Dangles
10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, what a nice hat!

KnittingNat
10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Looks wonderful!!!:heart:

newamy
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Cute and warm.

Lintu
10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Oh, I really like that a lot! Gorgeous color, and I love how crisp and clean the stitches look. Is "Cables Untangled" a book? I'd love to make that myself.

MamaMer
10-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Beautiful!! I have this book (took a class by the author and everything) and still haven't knitted anything out of it:aww:

I think I will do that hat first though it is gorgeous!!:cheering:

nonny2t
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
just lovely!

mornnen
10-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi Lintu--

Thanks! Yes, it is a book--by Melissa Leapman. Came out last year I think. I got it through my local library, and it is on my Christmas wish list. Has many nice patterns as well as a good cable stitch dictionary.

Oh, I really like that a lot! Gorgeous color, and I love how crisp and clean the stitches look. Is "Cables Untangled" a book? I'd love to make that myself.

mornnen
10-16-2007, 05:02 PM
MamaMer--
Thanks! How did you get so lucky as to take a class from the author! I am envious.

Beautiful!! I have this book (took a class by the author and everything) and still haven't knitted anything out of it:aww:

I think I will do that hat first though it is gorgeous!!:cheering:

MamaMer
10-16-2007, 05:55 PM
MamaMer--
Thanks! How did you get so lucky as to take a class from the author! I am envious.

Well, I am fortunate enough to live in a town with a thriving lys, and she came and taught for an entire weekend there. I just took the cables class, bcs it was on the pricey side, but she also taught from her crochet books, and I wish I could have taken those too bcs I can't crochet:aww:

She was a really nice gal, very clear and concise with her teaching, and she writes exactly like she talks!:teehee:

Your hat looks better than the pic they took for the example--I like the color better!:inlove:

speattle
10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
That is so beautiful!

Itsabtme
10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Very pretty...I'm just learning cables....they are soooo cool!! Very nice job!

dustinac
10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Great job!! Love the hat and the color...:thumbsup:

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup: Beautiful color:heart:

Lintu
10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh fantastic, we have this book at our local library as well. Thanks for showing this!

Suziblues
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I really love that hat. You did such a good job on those cables! :thumbsup: It never siezes to amaze me all the talented knitters on here!
sue