PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fall Recipes

knitknitknit
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I thought it would be nice if everyone shared their favorite fall recipes (cooking or baking)!
:hug:

Roasted Butternut Squash
Peel and dice butternut squash into rustic style pieces
Drizzle olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and fresh sage
Place on cookie sheet in a single layer
Roast in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes (turn once about 15 minutes into cooking time.

Delish!!! MMMMM
:woot:

MMario
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Sausage and Apple fry

This works best in a heavy frypan.

using approx 1/4 lb bulk sausage and 1 apple per person, plus 1/4 cup diced onion per apple.

Core and slice apples into wedges, then each wedge in half so you have "chunks". We prefer this with peels still on but you can peel if you want.

brown sausage; add onion and cook until onion goes translucent. add the apples, a dash of cinnamon, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Cook until apples are hot through and tender but not mushy.

Serve as a side dish to scrambled eggs - or use as an omelet filling.

meearnol
10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm not much of a cook, but I love fried biscuits and apple butter. We normally get them when we go to the apple orchard (which we did this past weekend).

And candy corn. Recipe: buy a bag of candy corn, put it in a bowl, and eat. The end. ;)

Actually though, my best friend makes a GREAT spiked cider she calls "bobbing for hangovers apple cider." She heats up a gallon or two of fresh apple cider from the orchard, adds Sailor Jerry spiced rum (and Everclear, but that's pushing it for me), cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anice. She also makes these adorable little floating apple candle holders. I'm not sure how she does it, but they're pretty awesome. She's like Martha Stewart meets Betty Page. :)

stitchwitch
10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
What's fall? :roflhard: I did see some candy corn at the grocery store, maybe that means it's fall here.
Wish we had cool fall stuff like up north.

vaknitter
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
HMMMM fall means roasting chickens, making chicken stock (for soups, stews, dumplings), and SOUPS. I love SOUPS - they only canned soup I eat is tomato. I make Split Pea with ham, minestrone, navy bean, wild rice and brocolli, potato with bacon (for the hubby) and so many more.

I also love sweet taters - baked, smashed you name it their wonderful. Here's a recipe - boil sweet potatoes, skin and mash them and set aside, in a pan saute some butter, vidalia onion, and a diced apple until apple just begins to soften and then stir that into the taters. Ad a dash of salt or sugar whichever is your preference and a dash of cinnamon. If you have a little extra time pop it in the oven while the chicken finishes roasting.

MMario
10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
here's another one - very rich, but very simple.

2 lbs stew beef, cubed.
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 lbs onions (peel, cut in half "pole to pole" then sliced the same way to get "slivers")

mix flour and seasonings. Put beef cubes in a large baggie, add flour and shake until coated. Brown in as little oil as possible in a nice heavy stewpot.
add the onions.
Add Guiness (or your favorite beer) to just barely cover the meat and onion.
bring to a simmer, cover the pot and simmer two hours.

Even better reheated the next day.

meearnol
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
MMario, that sounds really good! And simple, too. I could probably handle making that one. Is part of the recipe to drink a beer while it's cooking? 'Cause if it is, I'm all over it!

MMario
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
two hours of simmering = two beers.

nadja la claire
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I've stopped eating meat. I'm wondering if anyone has any Fall recipes for veggies.

MMario
10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
1 lb dried beans - soak overnight - bring to a boil in water to cover. let cool 1 hour. drain.
1 cup diced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup diced turnip
1 cup sliced celery
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
3 tablspoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
approx 1 qt veggie or mushroom broth

In a nice heavy pan - saute onions until translucent - add remaining veggies (except beans) and the broth; simmer 5 minutes. Add drained beans. If liquid doesn't cover beans - add more broth or water until it just barely does. Cover and simmer until beans are tender. season to taste.

I like to add sage and savoury to this - and a LOT of garlic - but tastes differ.

cranberry
10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I do like the first poster does, but I add all sorts of vegetables. Squash, carrots, onion, etc.

My other favorite is to heat up some apple cider and throw in a cinnamon stick.

Or to nuke some squash (or an apple) and add butter and some brown sugar. :)

Jeremy
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I've stopped eating meat. I'm wondering if anyone has any Fall recipes for veggies.

Claire's Cornercopia has wonderful recipes. I'm at my office now so this may not be exact-

One acorn squash, sweet potato, carrots, white potato brown sugar and maple syrup. I'll get quantities etc if anyone is interested.

Also roasted root vegetables (this is Weight Watchers believe it or not) 2 carrots, 2 parsnips, 1 lg sweet potato, 1 lg onion, garlic, 2 beets, a couple tblsps of olive oil, salt pepper, oregano, 1 tbssp of tomato paste. A cup of veg broth.

Chop all the veggies, put the oil in a 425 deg oven for a few minutes. Mix the rest of the stuff and dump in lg shallow pan. Roast for one hour, turning occ.

ecb
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
TVP stuffed tomatoes

take 1 large tomato for each person eating
Cone cut the stem out, and scoop the middle out and save all meat and juice (be very careful not to split the outside shells)
2-4 Tbsp TVP per tomato
half as much Parmesean Cheese (preferably fresh)
one slice each of either Provalone or Mozzarella Cheese
1 (or more) cloves garic
I also have used shitake mushrooms cut into thin slivers, and Nori shreds

take the tomato innards, and the Garlic and the cheese and TVP and mince together (or grind up like babyfood)
Mix in the shitake slices or other yummy stuffins
and stuff back into the tomato shells
Cover the cap with the slice of cheese and bake in a baking dish at 350 for about 30 min
I think its yummy
my kids do not like them
but I swapped out the rice for TVP to kickup the protein intake, no reduction in taste for me

KnitClickChick
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
1 package sauerkraut (the kind in the plastic bag, usually found in the meat coolers)
pork roast, 1 - 1 1/2 lb
1 6 count package Johnsonville Brats
1 to 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
salt and pepper

Drain the kraut and put in bottom of slow cooker. Add the caraway seeds and stir. Place the pork roast on top of the kraut and season with salt and pepper to taste. Put the brats on top of the pork roast. I put my slow cooker on low and it's ready when I get home from work. Sometimes I just heap some on a plate and eat it that way, or it is also great to put some on a crusty bun with a bit of stone ground mustard. An old German lady told me the longer you let kraut cook, the better it gets. With driving in horribly slow bumper to bumper traffic to and from work, and work is some distance from me, mine cooks for about 12 hours and the kraut is so awesome!!
You can put the slow cooker on high if you aren't away as long as I am, I am not sure how long it takes to cook on high though.

JessicaR
10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I go into spaghetti squash mode this time of year. Just steam it and scoop it out if the shell with a fork. Butter and salt, that's it. Heaven!!!

knitknitknit
10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
ECB - this may be a silly question, but what is TVP?

MMario
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Your saurkraut recipe reminds me of this one.

3 cooking apples - diced
1 cup diced onion
I bag (or large jar) saurkraut
6 pork chops
oil for browning
1 tsp fennel seeds (or caraway)

brown pork chops in a frypan and then place in a baking pan
saute onions in the frypan until translucent - add fennel seeds at the end for just a bit.

Mix onion/seeds/apple/kraut - layer over pork chops.

Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

You can also add 1 cup of golden raisens or use them in place of the apples.
Dried Cranberries also go well in this.

Sharly
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know what TVP is, either! I wonder if we'll feel silly when we find out? :eyes:

Stonington
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
ECB - this may be a silly question, but what is TVP?
:flirt: I was wondering the same thing lol

anne
n sebago me

stirsmommy
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
TVP is textured vegetable protein. It is a meat substitute. I have used some that looks like ground beef crumbles.

knitknitknit
10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
ohhhh I know what that is but never knew it was called TVP.. my friend uses that hers is made with soy! So you could substitute for ground turkey, pork or beef?

stirsmommy
10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
I would think so. Some of the recipes I have suggest subbing the ground meat for tvp so that it is vegetarian.

Sharly
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh! Okay...I would never have figured that one out!

Thanks!!

MMario
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I also like to make a nice savoury bread stuffing and fill a squash or some bell peppers, maybe onion shells and bake them until the casing is cooked. For carnivores, mix in browned ground meat w/ the stuffing in proportion to the fierce3ness of their carnivorous nature. (for one of my b-i-l's,. about 90 % meat - for another - 5 % meat would satisfy his need to rend animal flesh)

Diane1212
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I always love to make this in the fall:

SPICED PUMPKIN BREAD

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I've substituted 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 the oil)
3 large eggs
1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.
Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.

Makes 2 loaves.

knitknitknit
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
mmm so very fall! love pumpkin bread! zucchini bread is delish too!

PurlyGyrl
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
OMGosh. You are guys are making me SO hungry!:mmm:

Sharly
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Zucchini bread! I need to make that this weekend. I haven't made it in a while. It's got to be good for you, right? It's made with a vegetable!!

knitknitknit
10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Post your recipe I don't know how to make it! Pretty please! I agree it has to be good for you with all the veggies in it! ;)

Does anyone have a good butternut squash soup recipe? I'm going to try to make it this sunday and found one online, but would much rather use a tried and true and delicious recipe!

Sharly
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey knitknitknit - if no one else posts it, I'll try to remember to dig mine out at home and get it on here. It is really wonderful!

REVS
10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Ah, my favorite soup for Thanksgiving!
Okay, and I don't have the recipe with me either, but this is what I remember off-hand so feel free to change the quantities to taste:

Butternut squash soup

Cook diced onions (2 cups or so) with a bunch of Curry powder (4 Tbsp) in some good oil until translucent.

Add peeled and cut up squash (from one good sized squash), two to four peeled and cored apples, 2 cups apple juice, and a quart of more of veggie broth. The liquid should cover the veggies.

Cook till squash is tender. Add more broth or juice if too thick.

Transfer in batches to food processor to process smooth - or leave some small chunks. Add salt or pepper or more liquid if desired.

Serve with a dollop of fresh yoghurt - the curry can make this spicy, you may need a little more than a dollop, but it's so good!
Enjoy!

Sharly
10-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Ruth, that sounds really yummy!!

MMario
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
or try this:

~ 1 and 1/2 lb roasted sweet potatoes - peeled and chunked
1 cup orange juice
ginger, salt and pepper to taste
1 quart broth (veggie, chicken, beef - depending on your tastes)
1 pint sour cream

puree the sweet potatoe with the orange juice, stir into the broth and bring to a simmer; season to taste; stir in the sour cream just before serving.

Abbily
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
What a fabulous thread!!

APPLE SAUCE!

Core and chop a bunch of apples, throw them in your crock pot or dutch oven on the stove, add some water, a little sugar, and some cinnamon sticks and cook until soft. Mash and enjoy! :) MMmmmmmm

I also LOVE making chicken stock, and then making tortilla soup with it! Just add chicken boobs, simmer till done, then shred them, add chili powder, cumin, tomato boullion and black beans and simmer till everything is nice and steamy. Then at the table add sour cream, tortilla chips, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, avocado, or whatever you like!

ecb
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I am SO surprized no one posted a basic Chickn Soup recipe
Here is My Mothers

start with 1 dead chicken, Plucked and cleaned for cooking
1 onion with the skin and beard still on
2 Cellery stalks
2 Big ugly Carrots
7 Pepper corns whole
1 Whole Dried Bay Leaf
3-4 cloves of garlic whole, paper off, but that little hard thing on the bottom still on
put all these things in a pot, covered in water
Bring to a boil, then cover, and simmer for a few hours (over night)
Leave pot covered, but turn off heat and let sit a few more hours to cool off
once its cool, drain EVERYTHING out
in a clean new (larger) Pot put the clean strained Broth
in the old pot put all veggies (no matter how Yucky and mushy, I even use the stalks and stems of the fresh veggies) and all the skin and bones you clean off the meat with a bunch of water, heated to a slow steady simmer
NOW
clean all the meat off the bones, but the clean meat in the broth, with a few (2#) pretty sliced Carrots, a couple (3-4 big baking sized) Potatos
maybe a stalk or two of inner cellery heart
once all the meat is in, add a pound or two of Small tender Zucchini, same amount of Yellow squash (I slice them differently, one even, one on a diagonal) and about a head of Bok Choy, or nappa Cabbage sliced thin
as you eat the soup, you can add more veggies and Broth from the other Pot simmering away
Serve Hot with Shredded Cheese on top
I also like to add Celephane noodles (Chinese ones in the little Red packages, Mung bean noodles)
my favorite

MMario
10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
mmmm- turkey soup, thanksgiving style

break and smash carcasse of turkey until it fits into soup pot with several inches to spare Cover with water or chicken broth. Cover pot and simmer until anything left on the carcasse falls off. Pick all the bones and nasty bits (like the knobs of cartilege from the drumsticks) out of the broth.

add whatever veggies you want and simmer until they are tender. Bring to boil, add noodles, and 10 minutes later, serve.

Abbily
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
mmmm- turkey soup, thanksgiving style

break and smash carcasse of turkey until it fits into soup pot with several inches to spare Cover with water or chicken broth. Cover pot and simmer until anything left on the carcasse falls off. Pick all the bones and nasty bits (like the knobs of cartilege from the drumsticks) out of the broth.

add whatever veggies you want and simmer until they are tender. Bring to boil, add noodles, and 10 minutes later, serve.

That is exactly what I do, every year! :) God bless my grandma for teaching me that...

REVS
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Ooohhhh, MMario, that sweet potato and orange juice soup sounds GOOD! I'll have to try that very soon.

Thanks!

Krystal
10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I am more of a baker... since I have an especially sweet, sweet tooth. I recently made a batch of these cupcakes, and now they are going to be my "holiday" staple. Perfect for Thanksgiving - Halloween and Christmas, DH and I gobbled them right up... I am making more tonight. They also make a really yummy muffin, just forfeit the frosting. I found there was PLENTY of frosting to be generous on each cupcake.

Pumpkin Cupcakes -makes 12
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkinCream Cheese Frosting3 cups icing sugar
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter
DIRECTIONS:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with bake cups. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Set the mixture aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the oil and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir the mixture until well combined. Explain to your child that she should stir only until she can no longer see any pockets or streaks of flour.
Stir the pumpkin into the batter until it is thoroughly combined. Spoon the batter into the lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of one cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes sit in the tin for 10 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool thoroughly.
Meanwhile, make the Cream Cheese Frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat together the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, butter, and lemon juice until smooth. Add about 12 drops of yellow food coloring and 4 drops of red food coloring and beat until the frosting turns orange.
For authentic-looking pumpkins, pipe on the frosting to resemble a pumpkin's ridges. Fill a sealable plastic bag with frosting, snip a small hole in the corner, and pipe curved lines over each cupcake. (An easier option is simply to frost each cupcake orange and draw ridges from top to bottom with a butter knife.) Use pretzel nuggets for the pumpkin stems and cut flattened green gumdrops into leaves.When I make these for Christmas I am going to split the icing in 3rds. Keep one white, dye one red, and the other green. Then sprinkle with red and green spinkles.:inlove:

felted-bag
10-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Here's an old favorite Fresh Apple Cake (http://www.heritagerecipes.com/Fresh%20Apple%20Cake.htm) and a new favorite Rosemary Roast Chicken (http://www.heritagerecipes.com/main-dish-htm/rosemary-roast-chicken.htm)

KnitClickChick
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Krystal --- :woohoo: wow, I'm drooling!! I was going to make some macaroons and choc. chip cookies this weekend, but forget that! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait!!

Stonington
10-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Here's an old favorite Fresh Apple Cake (http://www.heritagerecipes.com/Fresh%20Apple%20Cake.htm) and a new favorite Rosemary Roast Chicken (http://www.heritagerecipes.com/main-dish-htm/rosemary-roast-chicken.htm)

I love the "Heritage Recipe" site!! :heart: Thank you so much for sharing. :hug:

anne
n sebago, me

threesmom
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Oh, now I'm hungry!! I have a recipe for a Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup that I looove in the fall. I bake 3 good sized sweet potatoes. While that is happening, I saute 3 onions in a little olive oil, then add 5 or 6 garlic cloves, and a a big bunch of fresh ginger - like 3 or 4 tbls. When that looks good, I add about 2 cups red lentils, saute a little, then add enough water, the sweet potatoes sans skin, some curry powder, a little garam masala, anise seed, and cayenne pepper.

Or how about a stuffed acorn squash - where you cut it in half and bake it, then use the filling and mix it with brown rice, a little sauteed onion, maybe garlic, some fresh sage or marjoram, and some swiss cheese? If I actually thought my kids would eat it, I might even make it tonight!:teehee:

knitknitknit
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
mmm the acorn squash dish sounds so yummy! I also looove lentils!

cheesiesmom
10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
I love sweet potatoes, but instead of baking them in a regular oven, I nuke 'em. Just a little butter. Nothing else needed. Delish!!

gladys

MMario
10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Has anyone else ever had baked beets? YOu have to find good sized fresh ones - and they take a bit longer then potatoes or sweet potatoes - I find they work best if you wrap in foil. They never really get as soft either - but they are great baked!