PDA

View Full Version : I wanna learn cables!

cindygster
10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I just got my first cable needle, and now I'm not sure what to make with it. Lol!! Any suggestions out there for an easy-ish pattern for a first-time cable knitter?

The.Knitter
10-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, I just started a really easy scarf called the Irish Hiking Scarf. It is soooo easy. I am going to make two panels of it and then a panel of a different scarf and sew them all together to make a nice cabled afghan. If you have trouble finding the pattern on here, PM me and I will e-mail the pattern to you. Good luck!

stirsmommy
10-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I love silver's scarf pattern for reversible cables. I actually am finding it easier than the Irish hiking scarf.

cranberry
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Fetching fingerless gloves on Knitty.com Or a cabled handbag.

GiddyKnitter
10-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I have just finished the Irish Hiking scarf and its lovely. A great first time project for you I think. x

cindygster
10-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I love silver's scarf pattern for reversible cables. I actually am finding it easier than the Irish hiking scarf.
Is that on the free patterns page of this site?

cindygster
10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes, I just started a really easy scarf called the Irish Hiking Scarf. It is soooo easy. I am going to make two panels of it and then a panel of a different scarf and sew them all together to make a nice cabled afghan. If you have trouble finding the pattern on here, PM me and I will e-mail the pattern to you. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm going to print that one out right now! :)

PurlyGyrl
10-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep, another vote for the Irish Hiking Scarf or Silver's Palindrome scarf. You can't go wrong with either! :happydance:

cindygster
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Yep, another vote for the Irish Hiking Scarf or Silver's Palindrome scarf. You can't go wrong with either! :happydance:
Anyone have the link for this silver's palindrome? I looked on the free patterns page here, but no luck. Not sure which to do, but just since I haven't seen this silver's thing, I'm really curious! Lol!

Lintu
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I agree with the Irish Hiking Scarf idea. If you're already comfortable with knitting in the round, try Fetching---that's where I learned and practiced cables. Also, the Inner Truth scarf from Magknits is fun with cables (it's what I'm working on now). It has both left and right cables to practice on.

The.Knitter
10-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Reversible cables? Meaning that it looks the same on the back as on the front? That would be nice. Could you pass that pattern on to me please? Perhaps I am making the wrong pattern after all?????

knitgal
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Silver is actually a person! She's written an incredible sock tutorial as well as the palindrome scarf pattern and others. Here's the link to the scarf, it's gorgeous!
http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm
Cables are my favourite. They're great because they look complicated, but they're not. Have fun and don't get frustrated.

misha rf
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I've made 3 Palindrome hats, and have received several compliments on them. I :heart: that pattern!

melinda9723
10-17-2007, 07:25 AM
thanks for posting this thread. I also want to learn cables but when I did try I had a terrible time. The stitches were to tight( I think) and I could not figure out how to manuver the cable to knit the remaining stitches. After I worked up a nice headache trying to figure it out, I just put it down,lol

Lisa R.
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
As a really beginner knitter, I found tiny projects that I could finish quickly were more satisfying to me. When I wanted to learn cables, I got a free pattern from the racks at Wal-Mart---it's a red heart cabled cell phone case. I ended up giving it to my dd, but it was an easy way to learn cables, and went very quickly. Here's (http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/8867E1FF-5025-4EF4-BF47-2C0C5ABC3F7C/27900/LW1539.pdf) a link if you're interested.

cindygster
10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Silver is actually a person! She's written an incredible sock tutorial as well as the palindrome scarf pattern and others. Here's the link to the scarf, it's gorgeous!
http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm
Cables are my favourite. They're great because they look complicated, but they're not. Have fun and don't get frustrated.
Wow!! THANK YOU for that pattern! I love it!!